• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rival guild crashes WoW funeral (video!)

Red Scarlet

Why you expect respect in a PvP game, in an area it can occur, on the internet, is being a little aloof. It's a game where what Serenity Now did was part of what the game is about (Horde killing Alliance/vice versa).

It was an in-game funeral, aka a prime opportunity to beat down the other side in a game. Equating what people do in a game to real life is a little off.

ibu

Ronok said:
What realising a basic lack of respect is going too deep into thing wtf is wrong with you? I'm not going deep into things at all.... Going to deep would be talking about why someone would have such a lack of respect, what environmental issues could cause such a thing etc..... I'm just stating the obvious here. Someone died and a group of people cared more about getting ahead in a game then respecting those around them and the fact that someone is dead... It's that simple.

Like you said, it's a game THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY ENEMIES! When someone dies, not there character an actual person, it's not at all the same circumstances as normal.

I would still attack though especially when they aren't in a protected zone its called getting on with life. Harsh but true

Ronok

Ermmm, so what, all respect issues are thrown out the window the moment we get online? You're acting like once you log into WoW you are no longer even sitting at your computer..... You do not suddenly enter a fantasy world! If that was the truth then racism, sexism, etc.... would all be acceptable on the internet, but, i'm affraid this is not the case.... Respect for one another exists on all parts of life it's just that some people are incapable of showing respect. I'm sorry, but they are the ones at fault not the ones trying to actually do something nice and no matter how little you understand it you should respect this action.

duckroll

Ronok said:
Like you said, it's a game THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY ENEMIES! When someone dies, not there character an actual person, it's not at all the same circumstances as normal.

Actually, it is the same circumstances as normal. None of those people in the raid actually knew the person who died, they just felt that a whole bunch of other people that they're fighting is being stupid dramatizing their funeral and announcing it to take place in a contested zone and decided to have a go at it. Nothing wrong with that. Speaking of respect, contested zones are the property of any player who is strong enough to stay there and not die on PVP servers, by taking up that entire space and saying "DON'T ATTACK WE'RE SAD OKAY?" is pretty much declaring that because someone YOU cared about passed on, it gives you a free card to do whatever you want on that server. No can do! Whoopie-do they got their asses kicked! :D

ibu

ronok, no respect issues weren't thrown out of the window when you log onlin but the actual crux of the game remains. You ae there to beat the opposite team, the fact they are fannying about with some stupid fake funeral (which can be deemed highly offensive and the root of more grief for the family) I mean if my relative dies I dont mind a guild having an avatar to respect that but I dont want some spotty nerds who play the game too much and take it sooooo seriously that they hold a funeral online to pay respects, I want to be left alone to grieve. They were idiotic to expect respect from the enemy. No Retreat No Surrender.

I would kill them myselfs... cos its a game and whatever you try to coat it with its just that and and anything else is just aesthetic. So them complaining about this detracts from the core of what the games basis is about.

Rockman

Ronok said:
Ermmm, so what, all respect issues are thrown out the window the moment we get online? You're acting like once you log into WoW you are no longer even sitting at your computer..... You do not suddenly enter a fantasy world! If that was the truth then racism, sexism, etc.... would all be acceptable on the internet, but, i'm affraid this is not the case.... Respect for one another exists on all parts of life it's just that some people are incapable of showing respect. I'm sorry, but they are the ones at fault not the ones trying to actually do something nice and no matter how little you understand it you should respect this action.

That's exactly right. You throw out all the normal rules. Why do I think it's ok? Because it's a fucking RPG. And you know what RPG stands for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. That means you can play the role of the biggest dick in the world with any lack of respect and or taste. And they were kidding themselves if they thought posting about the event ahead of time in a public forums populated by millions of people would not cause any problem. Specially on a PVP server where anything goes.

Ronok

Actually, it is the same circumstances as normal. None of those people in the raid actually knew the person who died, they just felt that a whole bunch of other people that they're fighting is being stupid dramatizing their funeral and announcing it to take place in a contested zone and decided to have a go at it. Nothing wrong with that. Speaking of respect, contested zones are the property of any player who is strong enough to stay there and not die on PVP servers, by taking up that entire space and saying "DON'T ATTACK WE'RE SAD OKAY?" is pretty much declaring that because someone YOU cared about passed on, it gives you a free card to do whatever you want on that server. No can do! Whoopie-do they got their asses kicked!

I'll take this step by step...........

1) Not knowing someone has nothing to do with it, I would interupt a funeral just because I don't know them.

2) People take funeral marches through public places as well, I don't scream at them to hurry up because I've got somewhere to be or whatever.

3) It's not doing whatever you like on that server, it's not like the people at the funeral were the ONLY people on the server...... There are plenty of other people... This guild went out of there way to show there lack of respect for the situation.

hat's exactly right. You throw out all the normal rules. Why do I think it's ok? Because it's a fucking RPG. And you know what RPG stands for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. That means you can play the role of the biggest dick in the world with any lack of respect and or taste. And they were kidding themselves if they thought posting about the event ahead of time in a public forums populated by millions of people would not cause any problem. Specially on a PVP server where anything goes.

Sorry, but anybody willing to be involved in this is not just playing the part. They don't turn into this character as soon as they log on.... They are doing whatever they want because they have a lack of respect in real life. This is people trying to show there respect to someone whos died in real life.... How someone can think to themself that it's a perfect time to get some cheap kills is beyond me...

When dealing with someones real life whatever you do does not reflect upon your character in a game it reflects upon you as a human being.

aoi tsuki

duckroll said:
Actually, it is the same circumstances as normal. None of those people in the raid actually knew the person who died, they just felt that a whole bunch of other people that they're fighting is being stupid dramatizing their funeral and announcing it to take place in a contested zone and decided to have a go at it. Nothing wrong with that. Speaking of respect, contested zones are the property of any player who is strong enough to stay there and not die on PVP servers, by taking up that entire space and saying "DON'T ATTACK WE'RE SAD OKAY?" is pretty much declaring that because someone YOU cared about passed on, it gives you a free card to do whatever you want on that server. No can do! Whoopie-do they got their asses kicked! :D
i initially thought the attackers were a bunch of assholes for this, but after reading about where they did it, they were fair game. Sucks, but hey, it's the internet.

Regarding them enacting a funeral in a video game, personally, i have no problem with it. WoW is little different fundatmentally from the MUDs of yesteryear. It's a fantasy and it's world allows people to fully embrace that fact. i don't play MMORPGs, but if this was someone i had known online, i can't say i wouldn't have gone (contested zone location aside), if not just to see what it was all about.

ibu

Ronok said:
I'll take this step by step...........

1) Not knowing someone has nothing to do with it, I would interupt a funeral just because I don't know them.

2) People take funeral marches through public places as well, I don't scream at them to hurry up because I've got somewhere to be or whatever.

3) It's not doing whatever you like on that server, it's not like the people at the funeral were the ONLY people on the server...... There are plenty of other people... This guild went out of there way to show there lack of respect for the situation.

and made it look extremely comical which is what everyone on this thread seems to feel. Yes I kno funerals and memorials are a place of respect and grieving... but not on a game simple as thats just fucking dumb.

Ronok

What makes it any different in a game? A real life funeral alone is just a place for people to gather to pay respects... The people playing the game did the best they could given that it's not the easiest thing to drop everything and go flying around the world.

Maybe you believe that at a real funeral your thoughts magically transend to the person who is dead? Why would this be? Because you gathered at a place chosen by the familly? The location doesn't make a difference.... In reality they were paying respects from home, it's the same as when someone does something alone in rememberence of someone for example some take a drink in there memory..... They gathered in a game that this person enjoyed playing in order to do the same thing... This was a symbol of there respect and it was ruined by the other guild...

duckroll

Ronok said:
What makes it any different in a game? A real life funeral alone is just a place for people to gather to pay respects... The people playing the game did the best they could given that it's not the easiest thing to drop everything and go flying around the world.

Maybe you believe that at a real funeral your thoughts magically transend to the person who is dead? Why would this be? Because you gathered at a place chosen by the familly? The location doesn't make a difference.... In reality they were paying respects from home, it's the same as when someone does something alone in rememberence of someone for example some take a drink in there memory..... They gathered in a game that this person enjoyed playing in order to do the same thing... This was a symbol of there respect and it was ruined by the other guild...

Wow you just keep flipflopping. First it's THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REAL LIFE AND THE GAME, then it's PRECISELY BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME AND NO ONE IS REALLY AN ENEMY, now it's back to THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BECAUSE IT'S IN A GAME again? Please.

Since you're on the real life comparison now, when was the last time someone decided to go from the safety of their city into a wartorn area to hold a funeral. Tell me that. :D

aoi tsuki

Ronok said:

Because there are real life repercussions for being an asshat in a real world funeral, like getting your ass kicked or getting arrested. The rules on a contested server, from what i'm reading, are much simpler and less bound by etiquette than a likely spot for a real life funeral.

You can't expect to congregate in a publicly-accessible area online for any reason and expect someone not to be an asshat, GAF included.

Ronok

Or maybe it's a combination of them things? Your acting like there is just one reason for everything. You are stupid if you believe so.

Whens the last time someone went to a wartorn area for a funeral? I dunno haven't been keeping track of things... It probably has happened though...

But aoi, you aren't dissagreeing with me..... They are wrong for doing it hence the reason you called them ass hats..... :-/

duckroll

Ronok said:
Whens the last time someone went to a wartorn area for a funeral? I dunno haven't been keeping track of things... It probably has happened though...

I'm sure, and the result was probably the same! Except... they didn't respawn after that. :lol

Ronok

Duckroll, how can you be so sure it would have happened? Wouldn't american Soldiers be scorned for shooting on any funeral in Iraq? Now lets just say someone who was born in Iraq wanted to have a funeral there and died...... Who would be the ones killing the funeral goers?

Ronok

Oh and the fact that you find the prospect of that happening humourous shows what kind of people you are. :-/ Exactly the kind I assumed........Assholes......

aoi tsuki

Ronok said:
But aoi, you aren't dissagreeing with me..... They are wrong for doing it hence the reason you called them ass hats..... :-/
i don't know if it was right or wrong. Disrespectful to the intent of the funeralgoers, definitely. Beyond that, i don't want to get into an ethics argument. i wasn't calling them asshats directly, but if you want to call them that, then fine. i have no problem with the funeral, or with it being raided given the location.

duckroll

Ronok said:
Duckroll, how can you be so sure it would have happened? Wouldn't american Soldiers be scorned for shooting on any funeral in Iraq? Now lets just say someone who was born in Iraq wanted to have a funeral there and died...... Who would be the ones killing the funeral goers?

Dude, when the war in Iraq was ON, American soldiers even bombed a fucking WEDDING in Iraq. What happened? Nothing! It was just a mistake! LOL. :p

Now this case isn't even remotely similar to that. In this case there are no CIVILIANS involved, everyone was a knowing member of an on-going war on the server. If a bunch of Iraqi soldiers fighting Americans during the Iraq war decided to hold a funeral for a friend of one of the soldier's next to a lake in a zone where warfare is going on, and went on TV saying "AMERICA ENEMIES, PLEASE DO NOT ATTACK, HERE IS THE EXACT LOCATION OF THE FUNERAL AND THE TIME, WE ARE SAD. DO NOT ATTACK!". You can bet your ass the Americans would have bombed their asses and felt great afterwards. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ronok said:
Oh and the fact that you find the prospect of that happening humourous shows what kind of people you are. :-/ Exactly the kind I assumed........Assholes......
calling people names doesn't exactly foster good will towards all men/women now does it? tsk tsk

and it's not the prospect of people dying that's funny. it's the silly parallel drawn between what happens in a game when you die and the reality of dying in real life that's humourous. if you can't see what's funny about that, then you don't share our sense of humour. just because you don't share the same sense of humour as we do doesn't make us assholes.

ibu

Ronok said:
now your getting personal.... i DONT LIKE THAT!!!

:lol

No but seriously, its a game the aim is to kill, If my mission in a game is to kill the enemy I would do regardless of the situation, the WoW players broke the rules by gaining access to another players account anyways... they deserved ganking.

And as you said before to me about the difference between a real funeral and one online... here is the difference one is real and one isn't the internet is the free speech vehicle of the universe where more can be said and done tongue in cheek than in the real world, thats precisely why when people are the victims of such acts they shud take a look out of the window into the real world outside... go outside spare a thought for the gone then get the fuck on with life... its a game.

aoi tsuki

Ronok said:
But surely you think that being disrespecful is wrong? :-/ If so how can you say they aren't wrong? :-/
aoi tsuki said:
Beyond that, i don't want to get into an ethics argument.
Why? Because it's a game, and even within the very little tidbits i know of the rules of the game, it was a stupid place to hold a funeral. Also, real world ethics are bad enough to debate, i'm not even going to bother in a world ungoverned by the rules of our own.

Besides, it's time for breakfast.

PowWow

PvP is a game about KILLING and TAKING OVER. If you ask for trouble, trouble with come! C'mon guys, my Iraq analogy! :lol

Seriously, if it's as if Ronok wants games to become like this:

PBF055ADGameSystem.jpg

Ronok

calling people names doesn't exactly foster good will towards all men/women now does it? tsk tsk

Yeah ermmm read the rest of the thread I commented on that..... Thanks....

Why? Because it's a game, and even within the very little tidbits i know of the rules of the game, it was a stupid place to hold a funeral. Also, real world ethics are bad enough to debate, i'm not even going to bother in a world ungoverned by the rules of our own.

Besides, it's time for breakfast.

O.O How can you think that because it's a game you shouldn't show respect to people? That is so amazingly stupid..... They are still real people at the end of the day...... It's the same as sending someone a text message. Damn.......

Dude, when the war in Iraq was ON, American soldiers even bombed a fucking WEDDING in Iraq. What happened? Nothing! It was just a mistake! LOL. :p

Now this case isn't even remotely similar to that. In this case there are no CIVILIANS involved, everyone was a knowing member of an on-going war on the server. If a bunch of Iraqi soldiers fighting Americans during the Iraq war decided to hold a funeral for a friend of one of the soldier's next to a lake in a zone where warfare is going on, and went on TV saying "AMERICA ENEMIES, PLEASE DO NOT ATTACK, HERE IS THE EXACT LOCATION OF THE FUNERAL AND THE TIME, WE ARE SAD. DO NOT ATTACK!". You can bet your ass the Americans would have bombed their asses and felt great afterwards. :p

You know what I realised as soon as I posted what I did?.. Soldiers are a bad example....... v.v;;
Infact comparing WoW to a real war is a bad example in itself.... :-/ WoW is occupied by a group of people PRETENDING to be in a war..... When it comes down to something like this they should be able to use there own common sence to realise it's a fucked up idea to raid them.

Ronok

PowWow said:
PvP is a game about KILLING and TAKING OVER. If you ask for trouble, trouble with come! C'mon guys, my Iraq analogy! :lol

Seriously, if it's as if Ronok wants games to become like this:

PBF055ADGameSystem.jpg

Nope I really wouldn't..... I don't think that games and reality are the same thing...... I'm saying that when it's involving something that has happened in real life you should respect such a thing..... You are all treating it like its her character that died or some shit. That's stupid.

aoi tsuki

Ronok said:
O.O How can you think that because it's a game you shouldn't show respect to people? That is so amazingly stupid..... They are still real people at the end of the day...... It's the same as sending someone a text message. Damn.......
DAMMIT YOU INTERRUPTED MY BREAKFAST I WAS HAVING EGGS TOO YOU ASSHAT!!!1

Ronok

Scrow said:
no we're not. that's why you don't get it.

Yes you are, because if it was her character who died then yes it would be funny... Throwing a funeral for a CHARACTER who died is kinda stupid and pointless... When it's about someone who has actually lost there life you should show respect.

duckroll

Ronok said:
Yes you are, because if it was her character who died then yes it would be funny... Throwing a funeral for a CHARACTER who died is kinda stupid and pointless... When it's about someone who has actually lost there life you should show respect.

No, we're not. We don't care that anyone died. We don't know that person, it's not our business. The FUNNY part was how her friends invited ownage, and go what they asked for. :D

Is it clear enough now?

Fularu

Banned
Just for all the retards out there..

When you're on a battlefield (And I mean a REAL battlefield), opposing faction allow each other some time to pay their dead respect. And it has been that way since the Greeks.

So all of you retards saying that if the enemy was holding a funeral, the opposing faction would attack, you can revise that judgement and suck it, they wouldn't.

If any of you at least knew what the fuck you were talking about, maybe it would help.

SN and GLS did what they did because they were assholes and knew that they could do it without any kind of problems afterwards, which means that, given the circumstances, had they been allowed to do it IRL, they would.

I don'T give a goddamn ass that it was in a contested zone, I've played on a PVP server for over a year now, and it doesn't mean that I have to become an asshat and kill everything on sight. They annonced it, said it would be like 30 mins long and that her alliance friends could come pay their respect too.

They hold it in that place because obviously she liked it.

You know, when someone dies, if you can't go to the funeral (I mean the real one) you usually find a way, among riends, to gather and pay your respects... The easiest way for them was to do it in the game.. Not because they are addicts, but because that's the only possible way to do it with any kind of efficiency.

I'd like to point out that, outside of Serenity Now and Gnomeland Security, the alliance guilds on Illidan found it properly disgusting, and that those two retarded guilds and their members are, pretty much, on every horde guild KOS list now.

duckroll

Fularu said:
I'd like to point out that, outside of Serenity Now and Gnomeland Security, the alliance guilds on Illidan found it properly disgusting, and that those two retarded guilds and their members are, pretty much, on every horde guild KOS list now.

They have effectively created a new player-orientated subplot on that server now. They're legends. How can anyone not RESPECT that! :lol

Oh and thanks for calling us all retards. That's real respectful and all. :D

madara

Expecting respect or dignity from Wow community is near impossible. Blizzard truely grew a sespool of a community with that game. Prime example of why folks outside of videogaming find this hobby and us in general very juvenile.

DCX

DCX
:lol :lol :lol :lol Although wrong, i haven't soo hard in a long time. THese fools could have done better to pay tribute, but i'm sorry that just OWNED. Also, any word on a WOW for 360?!

DCX

SiliconBean

Note to potential employers: mainlines heroin
What makes this situation so bad to me is that people are actually defending what those guilds did. I don't care if they knew that girl from that game. She died in real life and the way they knew her and wanted to be remembered was in the game they met her. So what if you think its excessive or they are addicted to the game. Remember that someone really died here you idiots.

But like I said before the presentation of that video made me laugh but......... Why such bad taste and timing?

Zer0

Banned
duckroll said:
No, we're not. We don't care that anyone died. We don't know that person, it's not our business. The FUNNY part was how her friends invited ownage, and go what they asked for. :D

Is it clear enough now?

its clear enough,u are a retard without any sense of dignity

duckroll

People here aren't defending the guilds that did this really. We're laughing at the stupidity of holding the goddamn "funeral" in a contested zoned. The end result is funny as hell. I bet you guys calling us heartless/undignified/retards/whatever are the same ones that don't find stuff like Darwin Awards funny. Shit is funny, if I died as a result of something fucking stupid, or if after I died my friends did something fucking stupid as a result and got owned, I would definitely hope it provided entertainment for someone out there, or it would be all the sadder. :p

h1nch

yeah i'll defend SN and GS. Hell if I played on that server I'd help them out just for providing us with that wonderful video. Thanks to Ronok and Tellaerin (and everyone else who actually found this offensive) this thread has been most entertaining. Keep it up guys :D

ibu

Some of you guys are just asshats and have no morals...

wtf is an ass hat? I been outside too much now im f**kin lost.

The girl died damn its a shame... pour some liquer for her if you knew her.

THe dudes are playing a game in a contested zone, what we expected to do? leave them to grieve for 14 days like in Troy build a trojan horse then pwn them? shit i don't know anymore. Its like not being able to tag someone when playing tag cos they had there fingers crossed they were stood on one leg and this was cos they were grieving over their pet pigeon that died from bird flu.

If they want to have a moments memory for the girl hold it in the safe zone or... do it in the form of an onlne guest book and not some stupid fantasy ass burial. That invites all the futility of Saddam Hussein on 300,000+ kurds.

ibu

im with you on that... now they really gonna have to put the ours in to stay at a level that will be able to hold off the attack from all the guilds... damn you gotta worry when games get so personal. lols!!

Top Bottom