• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rival guild crashes WoW funeral (video!)

ELS-01X said:
Then indeed those guys, and most posters in this thread, are assholes.

drama queen much?

Tellaerin said:
Try this comparison.

It's WOW. They knew people were assembling to pay their respects to someone who died. Knowing this, they put the chance to get a few cheap kills ahead of common decency.

In short, they were a bunch of fucking assholes. So is everyone in this thread defending them.

The end.

Then they should have been in a HORDE zone. You still have no point. They can do what they like (funeral) but they cannot control the actions of others in a contested zone. All of them were experienced enough to know what being in such a zone means. They were plain stupid and paid for it. The end.

Tellaerin said:
Try this comparison.

It's WOW. They knew people were assembling to pay their respects to someone who died. Knowing this, they put the chance to get a few cheap kills ahead of common decency.

In short, they were a bunch of fucking assholes. So is everyone in this thread defending them.

The end.

The bottom line is that making wow or any game an extension of your own life to an extreme of holding funerals is just lame, sad, and/or pathetic. The dumb crybabies needed a fucking reality check, a wake-up call, and the got served as such.

And Im not particularly familiar with the circumstances of the girl's death, so I cant say it was some sancrosanct untouchable event. I dont suscribe to the "all life is precious" ideology.

Tamanon

Banned
Look, it's a PvP server in a contested area. There's no reason they wouldn't be ganked if they just kinda hang around there. Besides, what's the purpose of the online memorial, any thoughts of the deceased are already known by them.

Tenkei

ghostlyjoe said:
This is fascinating from a sociological perspective. It's also indicative of the growth and sophistication of online communities.

Folks, we're going to be see more and more varied virtual communties, be they MMORPGs or otherwise. Those communities are going to struggle with eithical questions just like real-world communties. This is classic case study in the maturation of the Internet as a collection of global communities.

The responses in this thread are also fascinating. There seems to be a clear ideological divide on this issue. Some see the "funeral" as a legitimate means of expressing shared grief, and thus it should be respected regardless of the stated purpose of the virtual community. For these people, the Internet is an extension of reality with legitimate social concerns. Others seem to believe that society ends at the threshold of the virtual world, that WOW is a game and that the game creates its own cultural norms and rules. Thus, getting offended by the attacking players' actions is ludicrous, as is expressing real-world grief in the game in the first place.

This divide is going to be a point of serious contention and discussion -- in places well beyond GAF -- for a long time to come.

I think it'd be interesting to see the demographics of those on either side of the line. I've had this discussion several times with my friends, one of whom is thinking about researching this for a post graduate thesis; some of us believe that it's primarily an external element such as the personality/behaviour of those you hang out with, while others believe that your upbringing or cultural heritage plays the main role. When I was living in residence, I knew someone who griefed in MMOs as a form of anger management because he often was bullied before entering university.

Those who endorse the online persona as an extension of life, those who place a distinction between live and virtual interaction, and those who are unsure or don't care, where did you grow up, and where are you living now?

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
Then they should have been in a HORDE zone. You still have no point. They can do what they like (funeral) but they cannot control the actions of others in a contested zone. All of them were experienced enough to know what being in such a zone means. They were plain stupid and paid for it. The end.

Oh, I have a point, alright. You just don't want to acknowledge it.

Whether or not the ceremony was held in a contested zone is irrelevant. It shouldn't have mattered, because a decent human being wouldn't have disrupted a ceremony like this to begin with. It's not an issue of whether or not they could. It's that what they did wasn't right. The fact that they chose to go ahead and attack under the circumstances is what makes them assholes.

And that is the fucking end. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Tellaerin said:
Oh, I have a point, alright. You just don't want to acknowledge it.

Whether or not the ceremony was held in a contested zone is irrelevant. It shouldn't have mattered, because a decent human being wouldn't have disrupted a ceremony like this to begin with. It's not an issue of whether or not they could. It's that what they did wasn't right. The fact that they chose to go ahead and attack under the circumstances is what makes them assholes.

And that is the fucking end. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Sorry then they needed to play where there was no risk. The end. Again they were stupid and paid the price. Good game I say.

If they cared so much they would have ensured that what happened couldn't possibly could have. ;)

They need no defense here. They were playing the game according to the TOS.

Tenkei

Tamanon said:
Besides, what's the purpose of the online memorial, any thoughts of the deceased are already known by them.

To this, I cannot help but respond. Do you believe that there's no purpose to the act of a memorial at all, or that there's no purpose to having a memorial where people gather in a virtual environment? Your first clause tends toward the latter, but your second clause greatly implies the former.

trilobyte

If she was an avid PvP WoW player, she may have appreciated what happened.

When she was alive, I wonder how many times she was surprised ganked while peacefully fishing in that contested zone. It's only fitting.

ShowDog

I wonder if it was an RP server? That would make sense. RP servers are full of crazies. It doesn't seem like it though. But it would be a lot more funny if it happened to the RP people.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Tellaerin said:
Whether or not the ceremony was held in a contested zone is irrelevant. It shouldn't have mattered, because a decent human being wouldn't have disrupted a ceremony like this to begin with.
stop trying to legitimise this "funeral" by calling it a ceremony :lol

think of it like this. if people crashed a real life funeral at an actual church (what i thought this thread was going to be about initially) you could pursue legal action and have the offenders arrested. In a setting like WoW there are no grounds for having them arrested under any laws, and whether you like it or not that makes it a whole new ball game of ethics/morality, which can't be held to the same standard of real life.

The people that are bothered by actions like this give far too much power to virtual environments like WoW, and through that they give far too much power to the people that crashed their "ceremony". They provided the means by which this could happen because the influence of this world has warped their perception of reality.

siege

Banned
Scrow said:
The people that are bothered by actions like this give far too much power to virtual environments like WoW, and through that they give far too much power to the people that crashed their "ceremony". They provided the means by which this could happen because the influence this world has on their perception of reality is so warped.

No, I just tend to give far too much power to morals. What you are trying to say is if there were no rules in real life, people would run rampant doing horrible shit, because there was nothing saying they couldn't?

Pimpbaa

ShowDog said:
I wonder if it was an RP server? That would make sense. RP servers are full of crazies. It doesn't seem like it though. But it would be a lot more funny if it happened to the RP people.

I played on a RP server, and it had far more normal people than the cesspool of a community that the PvP server typically has.

Ferrio

Banned
siege said:
No, I just tend to give far too much power to morals. What you are trying to say is if there were no rules in real life, people would run rampant doing horrible shit, because there was nothing saying they couldn't?

Unfortunately, yes they would.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
siege said:
morals in a video game where there are no significant consequences for your actions or the actions of others is completely different to morals in real life.

and to answer your question; yes. history has proven that's the case.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
Sorry then they needed to play where there was no risk. The end. Again they were stupid and paid the price. Good game I say.

Sorry, the raiders should have behaved like mature, civilized human beings, not a bunch of dickheads. The end. Yes, they stupidly believed that they were dealing with decent people and not a bunch of mouthbreathing assholes, and they paid the price for it. I love how you seem to think that this is a good thing, that not only should people expect the worst from each other, but that it ought to be encouraged and praised when it happens.

krypt0nian said:
If they cared so much they would have ensured that what happened couldn't possibly could have. ;)

Like I said, the burden of responsibility here wasn't on the people conducting the service. They didn't make anybody raid the funeral. Stop trying to shift the blame.

krypt0nian said:
They need no defense here. They were playing the game according to the TOS.

There are lots of things in this world that are technically legal, but which a decent person wouldn't do out of respect for others. It's no different when it comes to what the TOS does and doesn't allow within a game. The attitude that 'anything goes' when it comes to how you treat other people as long as it's not specifically prohibited by the TOS is bullshit.

Tellaerin said:
Sorry, the raiders should have behaved like mature, civilized human beings, not a bunch of dickheads.

Its World of fucking Warcraft. The whole point of the game (emphasis on GAME, its a fucking game) is to not be a mature, civilized human being, instead you get to be some kind of fucking orc or troll or fairy elf or some shit.

Tellaerin said:
Sorry, the raiders should have behaved like mature, civilized human beings, not a bunch of dickheads. The end. Yes, they stupidly believed that they were dealing with decent people and not a bunch of mouthbreathing assholes, and they paid the price for it. I love how you seem to think that this is a good thing, that not only should people expect the worst from each other, but that it ought to be encouraged and praised when it happens.

Like I said, the burden of responsibility here wasn't on the people conducting the service. They didn't make anybody raid the funeral. Stop trying to shift the blame.

There are lots of things in this world that are technically legal, but which a decent person wouldn't do out of respect for others. It's no different when it comes to what the TOS does and doesn't allow within a game. The attitude that 'anything goes' when it comes to how you treat other people as long as it's not specifically prohibited by the TOS is bullshit.

No the burden WAS on the idiot funeral attendees. After playing that long on a PVP server they got exactly wha tthey deserved - exactly what happens ANYTIME you are in a contested zone. You get attacked by the opposing faction. Don't want that? Don't play on a PVP server. Trya roleplaying server with the rest of the high fantasy loonies.

Again, if they cared enough to have a sacred ceremony <giggle> they could have had it near a fishing hole in HORDE territory where they Alliance cannot attack. Apparently they didn't.

It's a PVP server, you act like it's real life. :lol You couldn't be more wrong.

shuri

Banned
I think that if I died and that I played an online game like that and that my online 'friends' would organize a funeral, I would come back to life, posses the body of a random WoW player and raid them myself.

Pimpbaa

Ninja Scooter said:
Its World of fucking Warcraft. The whole point of the game (emphasis on GAME, its a fucking game) is to not be a mature, civilized human being, instead you get to be some kind of fucking orc or troll or fairy elf or some shit.

I thought the point of the game was to grind to level 60 and then do endless raids for loot :D

ELS-01X

Banned
Scrow said:
morals in a video game where there are no significant consequences for your actions or the actions of others is completely different to morals in real life.
Disrespecting and making fun a dead person just out of malice, is wrong, in this world or a virtual one.

Tellaerin

Scrow said:
The people that are bothered by actions like this give far too much power to virtual environments like WoW, and through that they give far too much power to the people that crashed their "ceremony". They provided the means by which this could happen because the influence of this world has warped their perception of reality.

Yes, their perception of reality is so warped - hell, they acknowledge that there are real live people playing these characters, and consider their online interactions with them to actually mean something! What a bunch of fucked-up losers! Well-adjusted folks ridicule people like this because they have real friends, lolamirite?

That about cover it, Scrow?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
and just to add a further point. The gesture of mourning the death of a real life person through a video game is disingenuous. if you had any real respect for that person, mourn their death legitimately, not through some feigned display of grief. What they did trivialises the person's existence to be reduced to nothing more than an avatar in a virtual environment. She lived in the flesh... respect her passing in the flesh.

Their "ceremony" wasn't a display of respect, it was an act... they were role playing to further warp their sense of reality. They might have deluded themselves into thinking of it as genuine, but it really wasn't. It can't be.

Tellaerin said:
Yes, their perception of reality is so warped - hell, they acknowledge that there are real live people playing these characters, and consider their online interactions with them to actually mean something! What a bunch of fucked-up losers! Well-adjusted folks ridicule people like this because they have real friends, lolamirite?

That about cover it, Scrow?
no it doesn't, because you totally missed my point about consequences of actions and how that alters the morality/ethics of the situation.

Scrow said:
and just to add a further point. The gesture of mourning the death of a real life person through a video game is disingenuous. if you had any real respect for that person, mourn their death legitimately, not through some feigned display of grief. What they did trivialises the person's existence to be reduced to nothing more than an avatar in a virtual environment. She lived in the flesh... respect her passing in the flesh.

Their "ceremony" wasn't a display of respect, it was an act... they were role playing to further warp their sense of reality. They might have deluded themselves into thinking of it as genuine, but it really wasn't. It can't be.

/cry
Alagorn cries on Susano's shoulder.

duckroll

Okay, seriously, that was HILARIOUS SHIT.

I'm sad and all that someone they cared about died, but think about what you guys are saying for a sec. Now if the offended guild in this case cared so much about WoW that they felt it was appropriate to how an ONLINE FUNERAL in WoW in a CONTESTED ZONE simply because she "liked to fish and the water calmed her" in the game..... it means they're pretty attached to the game. Now the rival guild is from the OPPOSING FACTION. In WoW, you CANNOT PVP YOU OWN FACTION. Alliance CANNOT PVP ALLIANCE, HORDE CANNOT PVP HORDE. It's that simple. So if they're so attached to their silly game world, why is it not also fair to say the rival guild was simply just as "into" the game as possible and wanted to take the chance to KILL them for the glory of their faction? Makes sense? No? If not wtf is the point of playing on a PVP server anyway? Go play on a non-PVP server. Playing on a PVP server means you know it's a constant war between two groups of players and you WANT to be part of it regardless of ANY circumstance.

ShowDog

duckroll said:
Okay, seriously, that was HILARIOUS SHIT.

I'm sad and all that someone they cared about died, but think about what you guys are saying for a sec. Now if the offended guild in this case cared so much about WoW that they felt it was appropriate to how an ONLINE FUNERAL in WoW in a CONTESTED ZONE simply because she "liked to fish and the water calmed her" in the game..... it means they're pretty attached to the game. Now the rival guild is from the OPPOSING FACTION. In WoW, you CANNOT PVP YOU OWN FACTION. Alliance CANNOT PVP ALLIANCE, HORDE CANNOT PVP HORDE. It's that simple. So if they're so attached to their silly game world, why is it not also fair to say the rival guild was simply just as "into" the game as possible and wanted to take the chance to KILL them for the glory of their faction? Makes sense? No? If not wtf is the point of playing on a PVP server anyway? Go play on a non-PVP server. Playing on a PVP server means you know it's a constant war between two groups of players and you WANT to be part of it regardless of ANY circumstance.

That's why I thought it would be more appropriate and funny on an RP server.

Jado

Banned
LOL@ the people on morality high horses.

I've lost friends and close family and would give NONE of them an online funeral even if they themselves were avid players of an onlien game I partook in, nor would I advertise it for just any person to show up, nor expect kids or the immature people on the Internet to be on their best behavior.

The real world is not a reflection of how online gaming should work. The laws, morals, beliefs, and norms of everyday life are not all mirrored in online games, if at all, and shouldn't have to be either. The whole fucking point of WOW and other games like it is to escape reality and behave and do things a little differently or very differently from how one normally would.

The attack on the "funeral" was not an attack on the girl who died in real life. It was an attack on a self-important, overly adertised, poorly-planned event in a game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
krypt0nian said:
/cry
Alagorn cries on Susano's shoulder.
i'm getting a little teary eyed right now man. that was really heart felt.

/cry
/mourn

can you feel the emotion? it's there, i assure you.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
It's a PVP server, you act like it's real life. :lol You couldn't be more wrong.

No, you couldn't be more wrong. Whether it's online or offline, you're still dealing with other human beings. Just because you're interacting through the net, it doesn't give you license to be a douche. Unfortunately, some people don't want to hear this, because they enjoy treating other people like shit. They think it's funny. That it's cool. They attempt to justify their actions by claiming that anything done through the net is less 'real' than other forms of interaction. Ultimately, they resent the idea of anybody expecting them to be respectful of others online because it would mean an end to their fun.

Sorry, but I've got zero respect for that attitude. Whether it's in the flesh, over the phone, or online, other people are entitled to a certain degree of respect.

Scrow said:

What a laughable load of bullshit. 'Role playing to further warp their sense of reality' sounds like some pathetic anti-AD&D screed from the mid-80's. I think the only one here that's deluded is you, Scrow. Spare me the nonsense about how this wasn't genuine because it was taking place in a virtual environment. Whether in the real world or online, there's nothing disingenuous about people coming together to commiserate and share memories of someone who's passed on.

Jado

Banned
Scrow said:

no it doesn't, because you totally missed my point about consequences of actions and how that alters the morality/ethics of the situation.

Damn well said.

To all the "you're all assholes!" people: what they should have done is pool some money together and buy a thoughtful gift or some nice flowers for the grieving family of this girl, or just pool money and send it to her family to as a charitable act to help pay the crazy costs of a REAL funeneral, or pool money together and fly out her closest WOW friends to the REAL funeral and pay some REAL respects to her. None of this triviliazing in-game bullshit.

Tamanon

Banned
Tellaerin said:
No, you couldn't be more wrong. Whether it's online or offline, you're still dealing with other human beings. Just because you're interacting through the net, it doesn't give you license to be a douche. Unfortunately, some people don't want to hear this, because they enjoy treating other people like shit. They think it's funny. That it's cool. They attempt to justify their actions by claiming that anything done through the net is less 'real' than other forms of interaction. Ultimately, they resent the idea of anybody expecting them to be respectful of others online because it would mean an end to their fun.

Sorry, but I've got zero respect for that attitude. Whether it's in the flesh, over the phone, or online, other people are entitled to a certain degree of respect.

What a laughable load of bullshit. 'Role playing to further warp their sense of reality' sounds like some pathetic anti-AD&D screed from the mid-80's. I think the only one here that's deluded is you, Scrow. Spare me the nonsense about how this wasn't genuine because it was taking place in a virtual environment. Whether in the real world or online, there's nothing disingenuous about people coming together to commiserate and share memories of someone who's passed on.

I can't believe you would disrespect Scrow like that, have you no morals?

duckroll

Tellaerin said:

Dude, they're not even on the same side. It's not like these are the people you'll be INTERACTING with in the game. Did you know that in WoW, if Horde and Alliance players tried to talk to each other they wouldn't even MAKE SENSE? It would translate to feaiufh igheaogha oighaoiegha iaghoei on the chat output for the other player. :p

I don't see anything wrong with ENEMIES doing this to each other.

Never played WoW, but I'm guessing the concept is WAR.

So, it's WWII, a high ranking German office dies and lots of officers attend the funeral, Hitler goes along too. Now, as the allied commander, do you...

A) Say: "Awwwww, that's such a shame, let them pay their respects and we'll have a day's rest from the war"

Or

B) Say: "Perfect opportunity to kill Hitler and all his henchman, thus furthering the war effort and installing the possibility of having a computer game made about us in 60 years time, probably by EA"

Even though I don't like EA, I would choose option B. This is war.

Tellaerin

Jado said:
Damn well said.

To all the "you're all assholes!" people: what they should have done is pool some money together and buy a thoughtful gift or some nice flowers for the grieving family of this girl, or just pool money and send it to her family to as a charitable act to help pay the crazy costs of a REAL funeneral, or pool money together and fly out her closest WOW friends to the REAL funeral and pay some REAL respects to her. None of this triviliazing in-game bullshit.

If I ever catch you posting in a memorial thread for someone at NeoGAF, Jado, rest assured I'll be throwing that in your face. I'll remind you that you shouldn't be participating in 'trivializing messageboard bullshit', that anything less than buying a gift or flowers or paying respects in person is worthless, and that you deserve to be mocked mercilessly and spit upon for wanting to post a few nice things and share memories with other people who knew the deceased through the boards.

Hero

This is old, but the video is still damn funny.

To all the people who are crying/whining about what happened:

They were playing the game.

If the people who organized the memorial didn't want this to happen, they shouldn't have rolled on a PVP server.

Tellaerin said:

/cry
/sob

They are not "people" They are in game orcs/undead/trolls. That wasn't a ceremony. It was an act. You again have zero clue.

And actually being a member of the opposing faction gives you carte blanche to do anything and everything short of the TOS. That's you main fault here.

Carte blanche.

duckroll

krypt0nian said:
/cry
/sob

They are not "people" They are in game orcs/undead/trolls. That wasn't a ceremony. It was an act. You again have zero clue.

It was indeed an act.... an act of HILARITY! :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Tellaerin said:
If I ever catch you posting in a memorial thread for someone at NeoGAF, Jado, rest assured I'll be throwing that in your face. I'll remind you that you shouldn't be participating in 'trivializing messageboard bullshit', that anything less than buying a gift or flowers or paying respects in person is worthless, and that you deserve to be mocked mercilessly and spit upon for wanting to post a few nice things and share memories with other people who knew the deceased through the boards.

If you're on a PvP server, it's recognized that you'll have friends on your alliance and enemy's on the other side. Friends mourn, enemies capitalize. If you want to extend some in-game thing to the real life person's memory, then you're trivializing their life, especially in the case where you're trying to make a public spectacle of their death. Any sort of memorial shouldn't be advertised, otherwise guess what, you'll get people that will just go there for the attention.

GAF is not a PvP server, nor is it a game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Tellaerin said:
What a laughable load of bullshit. 'Role playing to further warp their sense of reality'
You’re damn right they are. It’s not like they're doing it consciously, but it's there and it's unsettling.

Tellaerin said:
sounds like some pathetic anti-AD&D screed from the mid-80's.
not sure what you're talking about here. anti-AD&D?

Tellaerin said:
I think the only one here that's deluded is you, Scrow.
now here's a circular argument that we could really sink our teeth into:

Tellaerin: "You're the one who is deluded Scrow!"
Scrow: "No, you're the one who is deluded!"
Tellaerin: "No way! I said it first."
Scrow: "Nah-uh!"

wee! round and round we go.

Tellaerin said:
Whether in the real world or online, there's nothing disingenuous about people coming together to commiserate and share memories of someone who's passed on.
bullshit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't even play these types of games, nor do I care to. That being said, from what I read, they asked for it. Yea, i understand what they were trying to do, but...in an open zone? Its war! They should have put up signs saying rape us, our pants are down. They should have gone to a private server...i guess (if thats how it works). Honestly though, if was the one that died, I would want it to go down that way (in the game). All the folks were being noobs, and they got pwned for it. Hell, I know how I get in videogames, and since that would be like me playing Red Alert, i would TANK RUSH this shit out of the whole brigade.

Top Bottom