• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rival guild crashes WoW funeral (video!)

Cronox

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
Me too. My mom thought something was wrong with me.

Maybe there is.

4899306579d9306f914tu.jpg

Funny stuff btw, even if its sort of fucked up.

Red Scarlet

Surely in some gangster movies/real life mobster families have used funerals as opportune times for an ambush. Pure strategy. Asshole, yes. But one of the best times to conquer their rivals.

bill0527

I wonder what the devs who made WoW think about shit like this.

I'd love to see a sit-down interview and ask them what they think about some of the stuff that goes on in their game.

I've been on the internet since 1997 and I was an AOL subscriber for my first 4 years on the net. I've been playing WoW for a year now and I have no doubt whatsoever that the absolute worst dregs of human existance populate various WoW servers. Its even worse than the dregs on AOL and that's really saying something.

abq

This is sad and funny at the same time.

To those thinking having a funeral in WoW is pathetic, I remember when BuddyC (I think) organized a donation drive to buy flowers for the funeral of a GAF member's child. I don't think anyone would find it funny if a group of people had derailed the topic about buying flowers with panda pictures.

It might not be the same thing, but still...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
abq said:
This is sad and funny at the same time.

To those thinking having a funeral in WoW is pathetic, I remember when BuddyC (I think) organized a donation drive to buy flowers for the funeral of a GAF member's child. I don't think anyone would find it funny if a group of people had derailed the topic about buying flowers with panda pictures.

It might not be the same thing, but still...

Yeah, it's not the same thing at all. It's fine using an online environment to co-ordinate stuff in real life, or even talking in a chatroom to reminisce about the person. The problem is when people do a shitty funeral in a game, then whine when other players attack and actually, you know, PLAY THE GAME.

If the funeral guild actually cared about the girl, they'd take a few minutes to send a card or flowers to her family in real life, or write a tribute online or something. Standing around beside the water because "she liked the water" is lame and is a shitty way to commemorate the dead girl.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya it's horrible that anyone finds this funny, or even it was done.

It's no different than some asshole on an FPS randomly shouting out racial slurs and being a general asshat. The anonymity of the internet causes people not to think about their actions or how it might affect people. Regardless if you think a internet funeral is silly or not, A REAL PERSON *died* and some people were paying their respects in their own way, if not their only way (seeing as they might not know player in person).

Then it's interuptted by a bunch of asshats who don't have anything better to do, know their actions won't be held accountable for, and don't have any fucking moral fiber to think that event actually might mean something to the people participating.

Chairman Yang

I also have to say I love the dumb appeals to emotion being posted ("Those BRUTES are happy that a girl died!") and the self-righteous outrage being spewed in this thread. The more of these funeral-attack style events that happen, the better.

Grifter

Red Scarlet said:
Surely in some gangster movies/real life mobster families have used funerals as opportune times for an ambush. Pure strategy. Asshole, yes. But one of the best times to conquer their rivals.

Fantastic analogy, retard.

Ferrio said:
It's no different than some asshole on an FPS randomly shouting out racial slurs and being a general asshat.

NOTHING to do with this. Try a new comparison.

It's WOW. They are in a contested zone. The end.

ccbfan

This is sick and makes me glad I don't play WOW. Pretty obvious the Diablo II population migrated to WOW.

Its freakin someone's RL death, I don't freakin care how corny or stupid it is that they held a funeral but there's just stuff you don't do as a decent human being.

I mean how would Gafers feel if one of the more popular posters died in RL and someone decides to have a topic dedicated to him and his remembrance(which is basically is what a funeral is). Only to have jerks from Gamefaqs and Gamespot posting obscene pictures and trolling in the topic. Saying crap like "Good, once less PSTool in the world is a good thing")

ccbfan said:
I mean how would Gafers feel if one of the more popular posters died in RL and someone decides to have a topic dedicated to him and his remembrance(which is basically is what a funeral is). Only to have jerks from Gamefaqs and Gamespot posting obscene pictures and trolling in the topic. Saying crap like "Good, once less PSTool in the world is a good thing")

Again, GAF has PVP?

Ferrio

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Again, GAF has PVP?

See, this is the asshattery I'm talking about. You can't draw the line between being an asshole or taking the moral high road. Just because YOU CAN do something on the internet doesn't mean you fucking should, or that it's right to.

ccbfan said:
Did I mention PVP anywhere?

Can you read?

I did mention posting obscene pictures and trolling though, which GAF has plenty of?

If they were harrassing the funeral with words you'd have a point. They would have been reported for that. THAT would be the equivalent of trolling a death thread on GAF, which I do not support at all.

They are conducting world PVP in a contested zone. They have every right within the TOS of WOW on a PVP server.

Ferrio said:
See, this is the asshattery I'm talking about. You can't draw the line between being an asshole or taking the moral high road. Just because YOU CAN do something on the internet doesn't mean you fucking should, or that it's right to.

It's not "the internet" Its within a game whose very purpose is to conduct WAR on the opposing faction on PVP server. Not stand in a field in a contested zone, and play "funeral"

siege

Banned
The people in this thread claiming that it was hilarious and that "online funerals are gay" are the same dregs that make up most of World of Warcraft. Therefore, I'm not entirely surprised that such an event took place.

Virtual or not, the people were paying their respects to a friend that passed away. A virtual memorial would sound odd to most, but anyone with any sort of common decency should respect what they were trying to do.

The guild were well aware of what was taking place and meticulously devised a plan to interrupt it. It wasn't like some people randomly stumbled upon a group of enemy players and decided to attack, so the whole "they were just playing the game" excuse is void.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Thats gotta be the most pathetic thing I have ever seen, it actually makes me physically sad.

I have been involved in various communities online (no mmorpgs thank God) and have met all kinds of people. If one of them were to die, I'd genuinely feel it. The whole queuing up to pay respect thing was super-lame, but I can see why they wanted to do it.

Its like having a thread on a forum to pay respect to a dead person and have it invaded by some idiots hurling abuse everywhere. Not cool or clever.

Then the fact they glorified the fact they trashed it is disgusting. Its not so much the fight they relished - They are delighted to have ruined the mourning of someone. Obviously low lives who have never lost anyone irl. Pity them.

Perhaps next time they will conduct this "funeral" game in a HORDE zone where they would be safe to dance, cry, spit or any other silly emote they wish to use.

arab

Pft, online funerals. A new level of funeral, both of which I dislike.

If a person I like dies, I'm not gonna sit and mope around. I'm gonna celebrate their life.

This is fascinating from a sociological perspective. It's also indicative of the growth and sophistication of online communities.

Folks, we're going to be see more and more varied virtual communties, be they MMORPGs or otherwise. Those communities are going to struggle with eithical questions just like real-world communties. This is classic case study in the maturation of the Internet as a collection of global communities.

The responses in this thread are also fascinating. There seems to be a clear ideological divide on this issue. Some see the "funeral" as a legitimate means of expressing shared grief, and thus it should be respected regardless of the stated purpose of the virtual community. For these people, the Internet is an extension of reality with legitimate social concerns. Others seem to believe that society ends at the threshold of the virtual world, that WOW is a game and that the game creates its own cultural norms and rules. Thus, getting offended by the attacking players' actions is ludicrous, as is expressing real-world grief in the game in the first place.

This divide is going to be a point of serious contention and discussion -- in places well beyond GAF -- for a long time to come.

ccbfan

krypt0nian said:
If they were harrassing the funeral with words you'd have a point. They would have been reported for that. THAT would be the equivalent of trolling a death thread on GAF, which I do not support at all.

They are conducting world PVP in a contested zone. They have every right within the TOS of WOW on a PVP server.

It's not "the internet" Its within a game whose very purpose is to conduct WAR on the opposing faction on PVP server. Not stand in a field in a contested zone, and play "funeral"

GAF is a forum where people post. WOW is an MMORPG where people fight. Fighting and posting are the same in conjunction to their individual areas. Fighting is to WOW as Posting is the GAF. Simple analogy

Also trolling as long as its substancial to the topic and posting obscene pictures is not against the GAF TOS. Pictures like a coffin getting shat on by a horse and someone saying "Good, always good to have one less PSTool in the world" would not be considered against the Terms of Service

Ponn

Banned
This thread is a good reason why I don't play online anymore, PC or Xbox Live and why I don't really give a shit if PS3's online is good or not. Give me good old single player RPG's where I don't have to put up with people having weddings online or the assholes that think it's their god given right to ruin the game for other all in the name of TOS.

ccbfan

ghostlyjoe said:
This is fascinating from a sociological perspective. It's also indicative of the growth and sophistication of online communities.

Folks, we're going to be see more and more varied virtual communties, be they MMORPGs or otherwise. Those communities are going to struggle with eithical questions just like real-world communties. This is classic case study in the maturation of the Internet as a collection of global communities.

The responses in this thread are also fascinating. There seems to be a clear ideological divide on this issue. Some see the "funeral" as a legitimate means of expressing shared grief, and thus it should be respected regardless of the stated purpose of the virtual community. For these people, the Internet is an extension of reality with legitimate social concerns. Others seem to believe that society ends at the threshold of the virtual world, that WOW is a game and that the game creates its own cultural norms and rules. Thus, getting offended by the attacking players' actions is ludicrous, as is expressing real-world grief in the game in the first place.

This divide is going to be a point of serious contention and discussion -- in places well beyond GAF -- for a long time to come.

Not really.

I personally couldn't care less about my online persona. I troll all the time and I really don't care what anyone thinks of me or get banned. As long as I can come here and read the news and sales charts, I'm fine.

Stuff likes this sickens me though. There's just stuff you just don't do as a human being. This person died in real life and unless this person was some evil person whatever kind of good nature remembrance, even something as stupid as a MMORPG funeral, shouldn't be defiled. Now if this was some character that got mistakenly banned and the clan had a funeral for that crap, then PK away cause thats just stupid. Its not so much the crashing of a funeral thats sickening but more the fact that these people know this girl died and wouldn't even let her online friends have some show of remembrance for her. Like I mentioned before its like a remembrance topic for a long time GAFer geting hijacked by some Gamefaqers.

Acosta

If the funeral guild actually cared about the girl, they'd take a few minutes to send a card or flowers to her family in real life, or write a tribute online or something. Standing around beside the water because "she liked the water" is lame and is a shitty way to commemorate the dead girl.

For you, it may be lame, but for them maybe not. An online avatar an an online world are symbols, and as symbols, they get the importance that people gives it to them. In fact, a "real" funeral (christian for example) is just a symbol.

WOW is an MMORPG where people fight

There is an authentic socialization on MMORPGs, WoW included. People fight, but they build ties each other.

What a great post. It will go further I think, new technology opens new possibilities and online gaming is spreading. Next 10 years are going to fascinating on this field.

ccbfan said:
Not really.

I personally couldn't care less about my online persona. I troll all the time and I really don't care what anyone thinks of me or get banned. As long as I can come here and read the news and sales charts, I'm fine.

Stuff likes this sickens me though. There's just stuff you just don't do as a human being. This person died in real life and unless this person was some evil person whatever kind of good nature remembrance, even something as stupid as a MMORPG funeral, shouldn't be defiled. Now if this was some character that got mistakenly banned and the clan had a funeral for that crap, then PK away cause thats just stupid. Its not so much the crashing of a funeral thats sickening but more the fact that these people know this girl died and wouldn't even let her online friends have some show of remembrance for her. Like I mentioned before its like a remembrance topic for a long time GAFer geting hijacked by some Gamefaqers.

Your online persona isn't an extention of yourself, yet you recognize that some people do have a vested social interest in online activities. That doesn't seem so incongruous.

If your were a WOW player, however, and you had already made an investment -- both in terms of money and time -- into that community, there'd be more pressure on you to conform to that particular community's norms. That doesnt' mean you have to take WOW seriously, but there will be inevitable conflict between those who do and those who don't. This is just the beginning.

ccbfan said:
Also trolling as long as its substancial to the topic and posting obscene pictures is not against the GAF TOS. Pictures like a coffin getting shat on by a horse and someone saying "Good, always good to have one less PSTool in the world" would not be considered against the Terms of Service

Yeah, but they would be banned instantly. Not because of morals, but because horses shitting on coffins is unnatural, like homosexuals.

[/Colbert]

i still don't see the issue really... there's nothing wrong with holding a funeral/memorial service online in a MMO, they can organize and do whatever they want... BUT there is also nothing wrong with a warring faction attacking said funeral/memorial service in an online MMO, they can organize and do whatever they want...

it's nice that they wanted to gather by he water, but if they didn't want to be attacked, why were they put themselves in a position where that is a possibility?

Deku

Banned
It's no different from the member in a RL club dying and the rest of the club paying their respects. Just because it occurs over thei nternet doesn't make a difference imho,.

Chairman Yang

ccbfan said:
Stuff likes this sickens me though. There's just stuff you just don't do as a human being. This person died in real life and unless this person was some evil person whatever kind of good nature remembrance, even something as stupid as a MMORPG funeral, shouldn't be defiled.

I think this is a major point of contention. The pro-attack people (including me) don't consider this girl's memory to somehow be "defiled" when cartoony-looking polygon characters attack other cartoony-looking polygon characters. As far as I can tell there was no one actually insulting the girl or her memory--at most, you can have an issue with someone killing her character, but even that doesn't make sense because someone else was actually controlling her.

And even further, I think that playing around with a fake funeral in a virtual gameworld is a little demeaning to the deceased person in itself. Are people so lazy and undignified that the WoW gameworld is really the only place they can meet? Why not a private chatroom?

ccbfan said:
Now if this was some character that got mistakenly banned and the clan had a funeral for that crap, then PK away cause thats just stupid. Its not so much the crashing of a funeral thats sickening but more the fact that these people know this girl died and wouldn't even let her online friends have some show of remembrance for her. Like I mentioned before its like a remembrance topic for a long time GAFer geting hijacked by some Gamefaqers.

Her online friends can do whatever stupid crap they want to "remember" her, but they shouldn't expect everyone else to go along with their feelings. Considering the location of the funeral, the funeral attendees obviously DID expect everyone else to tread softly.

Also, the remembrance topic analogy is non-sensical. If the WoW guild had somehow insulted the dead girl rather than killing virtual characters, I'd be just as disgusted as someone insulting the dead girl in real life. As it is, it's a totally different situation than GameFAQers crashing a GAF remembrance topic.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
two points to be made here:

1. That was a funny video given the context
2. Having an online funeral is stupid
3. Even so, it was pretty low to crash it like that*

oh shit... i made a third point. oh well.

* :lol

I'm kind of surprised they didn't think something like this would happen and didn't station a few guards who are stocked up to the fullest in armor and magic and etc. around the funeral spot.

Sullen

People need to lighten up. I still find myself laughing about all the people out there (this made the rounds on the illidan forums obviously, and on SA) that bitch from their moral high ground about a virtual funeral being crashed in a fucking videogame. They are the same people that would bitch and whine about getting griefed on a PvP server. They basically asked for it when they posted the info for Alliance players to see and put the funeral in a contested zone. If they had some sense about them and were really concerned about it, they could have done it in a horde zone and avoided the PvP entirely.

Was it mean? Yes. Was it funny? Oh fuck yes. :lol I only wish I had been online when we did it, because I would have been right there with my guild mates laughing my ass off.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The funeral concept was fucking stupid. I wonder how many people there actually knew anything about the person who died. How many of those people actually gave a shit, besides doing something that was giving them a superficial sense of satisfaction?

The attack was even stupider. What can I say.

ELS-01X

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
On Tuesday of February 28th Illidan lost not only a good mage, but a good person. For those who knew her, Fayejin was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. On Tuesday she suffered from a stroke and passed away later that night.

I'm making this post basically to inform everyone that might have knew her. Also tomorrow, at 5:30 server time March, 4th. We will have an in game memorial for her so that her frriends can pay their respects. We will be having it at the Frostfire Hot Springs in Winterspring, because she loved to fish in the game (she liked the sound of the water, it was calming for her ) and she loved snow.
If you would like to come show your respects please do. Thanks everyone.

not really funny but a bit umm wierd and cheesy wouldnt you say?
That actually made me sad T_T

If the crashing was random, it's fine, but if it was indeed planned, it just shows the assholes they are for doing it, and most of you for defending it.

ELS-01X said:
If the crashing was random, it's fine, but if it was indeed planned, it just shows the assholes they are for doing it, and most of you for defending it.

It wasn't random, watch that video. SerenityNow knew exactly where they were running off to. Hell, I think it actually shows they had one character from their guild at the funeral before the attack scoping the scene out. It was a perfectly thought out raid.

ibu

fuck it its just a game... and like someone said if they were that botherd send a card to the family of the concerned. But I found the video highly amusing especially the rallying of the troops but this is the sick and twisted mentality that is bringing the worlddown nowadays... oh well.

It's so wrong but it feels so right I pissed not jus myself but all over my nan whilst watchin this and she is that incontinent she pissed in the cup that houses her false teeth.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The Eatable Arab said:
Pft, online funerals. A new level of funeral, both of which I dislike.

If a person I like dies, I'm not gonna sit and mope around. I'm gonna celebrate their life.
Preach it brotha! I'm using my funeral money to fund a massive party for friends and family when I go.

Seriously though...An ingame funeral. Contested zone. Why are people shocked or upset that the funeral party was wiped out? Sure it was asshole act slaughtering the funeral party but they were in a PvP zone so they were fair game. They should have known better.

ELS-01X

Banned
VisionaryQuest0 said:
It wasn't random, watch that video. SerenityNow knew exactly where they were running off to. Hell, I think it actually shows they had one character from their guild at the funeral before the attack scoping the scene out. It was a perfectly thought out raid.
Then indeed those guys, and most posters in this thread, are assholes.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Hey It is not cool disrespecting some persons funeral, but they were playing in a PVP game in a contested zone. Plus the video is very funny.

h1nch

ELS-01X said:
Then indeed those guys, and most posters in this thread, are assholes.

fuck that, that shit was funny as hell. Am I the only one who likes the fact that WoW attracts so many assholes? The game world would be boring as shit if everyone just played courteously and honorably. This mixture of honorable players and assholes makes for an interesting mix, not to mention, it provides the internet with countless funny videos. I don't think I ever saw a single funny mmorpg vid before WoW came along

there was a thread about this on another forum i post on. i got into this huge fight with a guy that doesn't even play games much less mmos and he was disgusted that i found the video so hilarious. i pretty much cited all the reasons in my defense that were already stated in this thread

but isn't that the beauty of pvps? once you sign on to a pvp game or server its free for all

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
NOTHING to do with this. Try a new comparison.

It's WOW. They are in a contested zone. The end.

Try this comparison.

It's WOW. They knew people were assembling to pay their respects to someone who died. Knowing this, they put the chance to get a few cheap kills ahead of common decency.

In short, they were a bunch of fucking assholes. So is everyone in this thread defending them.

The end.

Its obvious serenity now just wanted to hand out some reality checks, I support these measures!
But then again my dog died yesterday and it barely phased me, maybe Im just dead inside.

Top Bottom