• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rival guild crashes WoW funeral (video!)

Jado

Banned
Tamanon said:
If you're on a PvP server, it's recognized that you'll have friends on your alliance and enemy's on the other side. Friends mourn, enemies capitalize. If you want to extend some in-game thing to the real life person's memory, then you're trivializing their life, especially in the case where you're trying to make a public spectacle of their death. Any sort of memorial shouldn't be advertised, otherwise guess what, you'll get people that will just go there for the attention.

GAF is not a PvP server, nor is it a game.

Again, well said.

Tallaerin, GAF is not a game. We're not here on opposing factions to wipe each other out on dangerous territory. Stop trying to draw so many unrelated parallels between GAF and WOW. A GAF thread that were to announce someone's death is not an event being advertised like the ones that guild made the dumb choice of telling everyone about.

edit:
You know what would be fucking dumb of GAF to do? If it did try to hold an RP-ish, mock-funeral thread in vein of what we saw in that video. I would gladly welcome trolls to trash the thread and would do the same as well. Merely starting a thread announcing someone's death and giving condolences? Not the same thing.

-Damien-

Banned
The video was hilarious :lol :D

here's my 2 cents on this. The real event itself was tragic and sad. But if her friends really want to pay their respects, then do it in real life, say a prayer, send flowers, cards, whatever. But to do it in a game, then the funeral itself becomes a game, which is a fair game to other players.

It has nothing to do with disrespecting the deceased. It's as simple as this logic, WoW IS A GAME, WHATEVER HAPPENS IN IT, IS JUST A GAME. Don't take it so seriously. If you want to pay real respect do it outside the game

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
-Damien- said:
The video was hilarious :lol :D

here's my 2 cents on this. The real event itself was tragic and sad. But if her friends really want to pay their respects, then do it in real life, say a prayer, send flowers, cards, whatever. But to do it in a game, then the funeral itself becomes a game, which is a fair game to other players.

It has nothing to do with disrespecting the deceased. It's as simple as this logic, WoW IS A GAME, WHATEVER HAPPENS IN IT, IS JUST A GAME. Don't take it so seriously. If you want to pay real respect do it outside the game
/cheer
/salute

/dance

siege

Banned
Hero said:
If the people who organized the memorial didn't want this to happen, they shouldn't have rolled on a PVP server.

Yeah, because they figured someone might die in their guild and they'd decide to hold a memorial for them in-game before they rolled their character.

The point is they were paying respects in their own way for a lost guild member. Not that they were on a PVP server and anyone in contested territory is fair game. It was pre-arranged and the offending guild knew about it and took the opportunity to grief them in a vulnerable state.

That constitutes as being a heartless bastard in my book, online or not. But then it's no big revelation that people are scum and that similarly people support such actions.

I'll refrain from posting in the thread any further as it's pointless to argue really. I just can't comprehend some of the replies from people who find the circumstance so hilarious.

Jado

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Your mom.

see...anyone can call names, Shirley.

learn2usepropergrammar.

Yeah, a lot of petty name-calling from the high horse crowd. And selective counter-arguing.

Tamanon

Banned
siege said:
Yeah, because they figured someone might die in their guild and they'd decide to hold a memorial for them in-game before they rolled their character.

The point is they were paying respects in their own way for a lost guild member. Not that they were on a PVP server and anyone in contested territory is fair game. It was pre-arranged and the offending guild knew about it and took the opportunity to grief them in a vulnerable state.

That constitutes as being a heartless bastard in my book, online or not. But then it's no big revelation that people are scum and that similarly people support such actions.

I'll refrain from posting in the thread any further as it's pointless to argue really. I just can't comprehend some of the replies from people who find the circumstance so hilarious.

Translation: You're all scum who think this is funny, and I won't answer for that!

When I die, I hope my guild gets corpse-camped if they parade my character around the ol' fishing hole.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
/cry
/sob

They are not "people" They are in game orcs/undead/trolls. That wasn't a ceremony. It was an act. You again have zero clue.

A player died IRL.

Another player organized an in-game ceremony for other players who knew the deceased to attend.

Other players. People. Not computer-controlled NPC's. Coming together because of the death of someone in real life, not some guild roleplay event. Yet you casually dismiss it as 'an act'. Why, just because it took place in WoW?

And then you have the balls to tell me that I have no clue? Don't make me laugh.

krypt0nian said:
And actually being a member of the opposing faction gives you carte blanche to do anything and everything short of the TOS. That's you main fault here.

Carte blanche.

See above. Just because something's technically legal - whether under the laws of the land in the real world or the TOS of a given online game - doesn't necessarily make it right.

Jado said:
Tallaerin, GAF is not a game. We're not here on opposing factions to wipe each other out on dangerous territory.

I guess you haven't seen the fanboys go at it, huh? ;)

(Sorry, thought I'd try to lighten the mood a little. :p )

Jado said:
Stop trying to draw so many unrelated parallels between GAF and WOW. A GAF thread that were to announce someone's death is not an event being advertised like the ones that guild made the dumb choice of telling everyone about.

And that's where I think our opinions are fundamentally different.

As far as I'm concerned, any shared, persistent virtual environment is more than just 'a game'. It's also a venue for interacting with other players. (In fact, I'd go so far as to say there's a forced socialization element, what with the need for grouping and emphasis on guilds in so many of the MMO's out there.) In that way, I'd say it's just as much of a virtual space to meet and exchange ideas as any messageboard. And whether it's in the game or on a board, expecting a modicum of decency from the other members of the virtual community when people are meeting to pay respects to someone who has died in real life is not unreasonable to expect.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
PVP.
Contested zone.
advertised the location/time.
got served.

You are talking gibberish.

They could have refrained from attacking.
It would have been the right thing to do.
They failed to do so.
They were wrong.

I'm not talking gibberish, their (and obviously your) priorities are fucked up.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I actually think that the incident was pretty damn cool. It's what you would expect to happen if WoW were a movie. Now you have the funeral guys wanting vengeance... I would buy the game and join the clan just so I could interactively experience that storyline.

Tellaerin said:
They failed to do so.
They were wrong.

They did absoultuely nothing wrong. Your priorities are based on nothings and wishtalk. They fucked up and now you feel the need to be right.

They expected to control the game. They learned otherwise. PVP happened. As it should have.

My priorities are based on real things. Not silly fantasy games. lol

For the record, I have always I supported GAF death threads. Not fanboy carebear nonsense.

Tamanon

Banned
Tellaerin said:
They failed to do so.
They were wrong.

They could've refrained from holding a large overblown event in a well-advertised contested area.
They failed to do so.
They were wrong.

Right and Wrong on opposite sides, just like the factions. Hey maybe that really is preserving the spirit of things!

h1nch

Tellaerin said:
They failed to do so.
They were wrong.

says who?

horde and alliance are enemies. its a role playing game. they were playing a role. and it was fucking funny as hell.

seriously lighten up :lol

Jado

Banned
And that's where I think our opinions are fundamentally different.

Get the fuck outta here. I haven't even said whether or not I think the attacking guys are assholes or not, but don't even come here saying that a GAF thread announcing a member's death is the same thing as a bunch of people playing out a bogus funeral in a game. I posted an "edit" in a recent post of what that equivalent on GAF would be, and announcement thread is certainly not it.

And whether it's in the game or on a board, expecting a modicum of decency from the other members of the virtual community when people are meeting to pay respects to someone who has died in real life is not unreasonable to expect.

What's funny is that you say people online should act with some sort of real life decency, but guess what? In a real funeral, which is what they were mimicking, you don't invite the whole world in.. and if you do, like some famous person's death? There's plenty of security to keep things in order just in case. You expect some profound level of respect and decency for a game.. that sometimes doesn't even exist in real life?! People have been robbed, attacked and killed at weddings, funeneral and other such events. In a game with no real consequences, no pain or suffering, played by kids and others who know that no actual harm is being done, why the hell do you expect more?

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
They did absoultuely nothing wrong.

Wrong answer. They disrupted an in-game gathering to mourn the real-life death of another player. Legal under the TOS != right.

krypt0nian said:
Your priorities are based on nothings and wishtalk.

And yours are based on what, some macho 'winning is everything' bullshit that puts getting a few cheap PVP kills ahead of being civil to some players who were trying to hold a funeral service for a guildie who died? Yeah, man, you've got a lot to be proud of there.

krypt0nian said:
They fucked up and now you feel the need to be right.

No, I am right. It's the funeral-crashers who fucked up.

krypt0nian said:
They expected to control the game. They learned otherwise. PVP happened. As it should have.

How dare they try to 'control' those poor PvP'ers by announcing where and when they'd be meeting, then actually expecting them to act like human beings and not attack!

krypt0nian said:
My priorities are based on real things. Not silly fantasy games. lol

Yeah. Good thing all those other characters on the WOW servers with you are just computer-controlled NPC's in a 'silly fantasy game' and not real people, right? Oh, wait...

krypt0nian said:
For the record, I have always I supported GAF death threads. Not fanboy carebear nonsense.

Either way, it's the same thing. People meeting in a virtual space in memorial of someone they knew online. The difference is that in WOW, unlike here, that kind of meeting gave some players an opportunity to get some quick and easy kills. The promise of grabbing cheap shineys and being 'teh winnar' outweighed common decency, and they attacked. As far as I'm concerned, their priorities were seriously screwed up, and the fact that you'd actually praise them for it after the fact disgusts me. I don't think there's any way we're ever going to see eye to eye on this, though, so it's probably better if we just let it drop.

Deg

Banned
They should have been on a PVE server. If you are on PVP dont expect people to fight with flowers...

Everyone saying "if someone trolled a GAF funeral..." just can't see far down enough from their high moral soapbox. It misses the point entirely.

This funeral was held in a contested zone on a Player vs Player server. There are zero rules for PvP combat in these zones. However, there are safe zones in the game where the funeral could have taken place where Alliance and Horde could not attack each other unless the "safe" faction allowed it.

Basically, the safe zones in WoW are just like GAF: there are rules, moderation and enforcement of punishment. PvP contested zones are similar to something like Reirom-Age: anything goes.

Wouldn't you all find a person completely fucking stupid if someone died on GAF and they made a thread at Reirom-Age not expecting to be trolled and pissed off? This is exactly what so many people are trying to say in this thread. If they really wanted a serious funeral that would not be crashed, they should have been smart enough to do it in a safe zone, such as if you posted a funeral thread about a GAF member on GAF, where moderators would make sure everything stayed clean.

This is a videogame and the organizers involved in this funeral were too dumb to play it safe. The other people played the game by its legitimate rules and crashed the funeral. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and anyone that's linking this event as an immoral attack on the dead person rather than a clever attack on the game's boundaries is just not thinking clearly.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Everyone saying "if someone trolled a GAF funeral..." just can't see far down enough from their high moral soapbox. It misses the point entirely.

This funeral was held in a contested zone on a Player vs Player server. There are zero rules for PvP combat in these zones. However, there are safe zones in the game where the funeral could have taken place where Alliance and Horde could not attack each other unless the "safe" faction allowed it.

Basically, the safe zones in WoW are just like GAF: there are rules, moderation and enforcement of punishment. PvP contested zones are similar to something like Reirom-Age: anything goes.

Wouldn't you all find a person completely fucking stupid if someone died on GAF and they made a thread at Reirom-Age not expecting to be trolled and pissed off? This is exactly what so many people are trying to say in this thread. If they really wanted a serious funeral that would not be crashed, they should have been smart enough to do it in a safe zone, such as if you posted a funeral thread about a GAF member on GAF, where moderators would make sure everything stayed clean.

This is a videogame and the organizers involved in this funeral were too dumb to play it safe. The other people played the game by its legitimate rules and crashed the funeral. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and anyone that's linking this event as an immoral attack on the dead person rather than a clever attack on the game's boundaries is just not thinking clearly.

Nicely drawn parallel

Thaedolus

Gold Member
krypt0nian said:
HALO2 - "Guys guys....don't shoot at MajorBlast. His brother is in the hospital."

/sad
/cry

Best analogy in the thread...

...until this one. You two FTW!

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
God that video was hilarious. That seriously made my day. Blizzard should make action figures out of the guild members who organized that attack. Brilliant.

P.S. - I hope this video at least reminds everyone the importance of good circulation.

duckroll

Does of you calling the guild scum, did you realize that the people organizing it actually posted on forums telling everyone WHERE they were going to hold it and saying stupi emo stuff like "We want to hold it near the water because she really liked to fish, and the snow comforted her" and stupid stuff like that? In fact they went ended the post with "EVERYONE PLEASE DON'T ATTACK OKAY? WE'RE GOING TO RECORD THIS EVENT FOR HER FAMILY".

Come on now, if you do not think that a post like that is an OPEN INVITATION for troublemarkers to do their best, you're fucking naive. They were asking for it, plain and simple. Someone would have done it anyway, it doesn't matter WHO. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
duckroll said:
"We want to hold it near the water because she really liked to fish, and the snow comforted her" and stupid stuff like that? In fact they went ended the post with "EVERYONE PLEASE DON'T ATTACK OKAY? WE'RE GOING TO RECORD THIS EVENT FOR HER FAMILY".
omfg... :lol

they truly are out of touch when they think the family of the deceased would find any comfort in that. holy moly :lol

Hero

siege said:

QQ some more, nub.

It's a game. People who pay for it were playing the game. It just so happened that some of them were trying to have a memorial. Keyword here is trying.

Spencerr

Banned
The whole point of playing WoW is to destroy the opposing faction. This was an opportunity to do so. This is where your GAF analogy falls apart.

G-Fex

When I die I want the guys on counter-strike to dedicate a round for me.

But that's it.

Maybe a spray or something.

no one should ever want their funeral handled by orcs and wizards and elves.
i don't want the lord of the rings cast acting out my life as a tribute.
real life exists.. maybe WOW players should remember that.

Acosta

The whole point of playing WoW is to destroy the opposing faction. This was an opportunity to do so. This is where your GAF analogy falls apart.

In gates of Ang-Quiraj, Alliance and Horde fought together and the history of Warcraft has momments of alliance. Is true that is a history of conflict, but there was no reason for that action (and there is no reason for the opposite faction for not attacking in that moment, that is true as well). The interesting thing here is that there was some options (that even in a game, implies certain morality), and a decission was taken (that I´m not going to judge), is not that different of real life afterall.

I don´t get very well why they did that in Winterspring, maybe they didn´t even think of the possibility of being attacked. I am agree that, in a pure rpg thinking, the best strategic decission would have been in a horde dominated zone. Is a world of conflict afterall.

I disagree with all of you using the "is a game, has no importance and the guild was dumb for doing a freaky funeral". That people possibly only know each other through their characters, and is quite possible most of them are too young to translate the place of the "real funeral", so is possible that they did that for the same reasons people do funerals when people die, driven by the same emotions.

Is funny, some years ago, when Arafat died, Palestinians wanted to bury his corpse in Jerusalen, but Israel goverment didn´t allow it. They finally buried the corpse using sand taken from Jerusalen. If you pay attention, both acts are artificial and has no real meaning (the same of Jersusalen is the same sand from other place, and why the government of Israel cared about a dead body buried in Jersusalen?). But it had a meaning for them. I repeat that funerals ("real" or not) are symbols, so they have the importance that people wants to give them.

FightyF

Banned
duckroll said:
Does of you calling the guild scum, did you realize that the people organizing it actually posted on forums telling everyone WHERE they were going to hold it and saying stupi emo stuff like "We want to hold it near the water because she really liked to fish, and the snow comforted her" and stupid stuff like that? In fact they went ended the post with "EVERYONE PLEASE DON'T ATTACK OKAY? WE'RE GOING TO RECORD THIS EVENT FOR HER FAMILY".

Come on now, if you do not think that a post like that is an OPEN INVITATION for troublemarkers to do their best, you're fucking naive. They were asking for it, plain and simple. Someone would have done it anyway, it doesn't matter WHO. :p

*LOL*

I didn't know that.

I don't agree with what happened, but I do agree that you can leave yourself open to nasty stuff if you do it on the web like that.

I used to play FLF quite a bit, and it was a very tight knit community. One prominent member died a couple of years ago, and it was pretty sad. He had a crippling illness and we all knew of it, but it was still a shock. Just recently, another died in a car accident, and that was far more sudden.

mashoutposse said:
I actually think that the incident was pretty damn cool. It's what you would expect to happen if WoW were a movie. Now you have the funeral guys wanting vengeance... I would buy the game and join the clan just so I could interactively experience that storyline.

I totally agree. The problem I had with FFXI, and feel I would have with any MMORPG, is that when I played was the whole experience seemed so sterile. I have to get more money so I can get better equipment, etc.

Having some type of emotional attachment to what's going on would make the whole thing much more fun.

Deg

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
I totally agree. The problem I had with FFXI, and feel I would have with any MMORPG, is that when I played was the whole experience seemed so sterile. I have to get more money so I can get better equipment, etc.

Having some type of emotional attachment to what's going on would make the whole thing much more fun.

PVP isnt worth it. Its just a hassle.

Ronok

They are conducting world PVP in a contested zone. They have every right within the TOS of WOW on a PVP server.

You're that asshole who would walk past some lady getting attacked on the streats before phoning the police because it's not against the TOS (law) to help them out.... You're that asshole who would sit back and watch a little kid get bullied because it's not against the TOS (law) to leave them.... You're that asshole who would raid a rememberence for someone who has died in real life because you'll get a few cheap thrills and to you that's worth more then doing something nice for a change cause guess what it's not against the TOS and you're a selfish asshole. Congratulations!

This goes to everyone who is saying it's about the limits of the law or whatever other bullshit you can think of. In reality it all goes back to the fact that this girl died in real life..... When they were playing the game they didn't suddenly get sucked into an alternate reality, they were still sitting at there computers in the same world where this girl is no longer living and they decided to ruin an event that a group of people also living in this world decided to throw for her....... MMO's do not suck you into another place, they allow you to control a character.... You controlling that character technically makes it become a part of you.... Everything you say as that character is coming from you, it's not some scripted NPC. Due to this everyone in her guild who spoke to her character were doing exactly what we do every day on this forum and that is speak to each other...... Just because we don't know each other away from this forum doesn't mean we would feel nothing when another dies....... And yes maybe there would be a rememberence thread if we found out what had happened........ In this thread we would not want any disrespectful actions to take place.... Anything that is just saying, you know what we don't give a fucking shit if someone died, we want to have fun as is our right on this forum........ It's the same thing as raiding the funeral... I don't care if on this forum you wouldn't go out and call it a funeral. That word is not what is behind this action....... You could call it anything you wanted and it would still be the same thing... A gathering of people who want to show respect to a person. It doesn't matter if your doing it by sending a card/flowers, saying something on a forum or going to an online funeral, it's all about respect.......

You fucking idiots who are disregarding such an action need to learn a bit about that word.

As to those saying that people like me insulting others aren't showing any ourselves, well, I've always been brought up to know that you need to earn respect. And by being such fucked up idiots they've managed to lose it from me.

I seriously can't believe I'm in the minority on this....... But remember GAF is a place where you should show respect to Proof, not saying "one more thug dead" but, when it's a gamer that dies, who gives a shit....... No need to show respect to them....... I wonder why this is... hmmmmm.........

Oh and I appologise for shitty grammer etc........

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is just weird...

One thing I don't really get is, the character who was 'filming' at the funeral before the gatecrashing guild turned up... was he a member of that guild?

PowWow

If they were really bothered about her death, they would have met and had a real funeral. Not an online one in contested territory. There were ways for them to have a safe one, but because they were so bothered about fishing and snow, they didn't and paid the price. I mean, if you had a choice of having a funeral in your local, safe town, or fly to Iraq when the US were taking over and all the missiles were going off and stuff, where would you choose? NOT the contested zone obviously! I'll let you work out which one that is.

Ronok

No I really didn't scrow...... And is that really the best you can do? How the hell did I miss the point? The point is that they wanted to show there respect and the other guild having a lack of respect decided to ruin it..... That's the point.... There is nothing else to it...

If they were really bothered about her death, they would have met and had a real funeral. Not an online one in contested territory. There were ways for them to have a safe one, but because they were so bothered about fishing and snow, they didn't and paid the price. I mean, if you had a choice of having a funeral in your local, safe town, or fly to Iraq when the US were taking over and all the missiles were going off and stuff, where would you choose? NOT the contested zone obviously! I'll let you work out which one that is.

Ermmmm I really envy you if you can just drop everything and fly to the otherside of the country or even world whenever you like...... I like many others would have to save up to be able to do such a thing.

As for having a funeral in Iraq, yes I would if I thought someone close to me would have wanted it. For example if my mum had spent her life trying to do good for the people in Iraq and loved the country I would have a funeral there for her. It's much the same as this girl spending most of her time playing at that fishing spot..... Whats the point in going to some other fishing spot she never spent time at just to be safe? It goes against the point completely.

Red Scarlet

Your panties getting into such a bunch kinda shows you don't, Ronok.

You're looking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too deep into things.

ibu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

Bunch of keyboard licking pussies who should have had an ounce of knowledge to know better than to expect respect or dignity from the enemy. But the above quote is a very good parrallel, great if someone wants to hold a moment of respect on a game.... stupid to do it on something like that, Thats like me stopppng a PGR3 race online to have a moments silence on the last corner of the nurburgring, or me stoppping a battle on Command and Conquer General... its a f**kin game, remember that and to expect to NOT be the victim of the best and funniest ganking in WoW history... well thats just silly isn't it?

Ronok

What realising a basic lack of respect is going too deep into thing wtf is wrong with you? I'm not going deep into things at all.... Going to deep would be talking about why someone would have such a lack of respect, what environmental issues could cause such a thing etc..... I'm just stating the obvious here. Someone died and a group of people cared more about getting ahead in a game then respecting those around them and the fact that someone is dead... It's that simple.

Bunch of keyboard licking pussies who should have had an ounce of knowledge to know better than to expect respect or dignity from the enemy. But the above quote is a very good parrallel, great if someone wants to hold a moment of respect on a game.... stupid to do it on something like that, Thats like me stopppng a PGR3 race online to have a moments silence on the last corner of the nurburgring, or me stoppping a battle on Command and Conquer General... its a f**kin game, remember that and to expect to NOT be the victim of the best and funniest ganking in WoW history... well thats just silly isn't it?

Like you said, it's a game THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY ENEMIES! When someone dies, not there character an actual person, it's not at all the same circumstances as normal.

Rockman

I wish this would have happened on any of the servers I'm on [ Sargeras, Detheroc, Warsong ] so I could witness it live and /cheer, /cry, /omgwtfbbqsauce. This is exactly the type of thing the internet is for, shit you wouldn't dream of doing in real life. That's a PVP server and you aren't supposed to act like care bears. You are supposed to call people names, make fun of them, insult their family members, harrass them, and all sorts of cooky shit like that. It's what WOW is all about. Wholesome family entertainment :lol

Top Bottom