• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riviera ~ The Promised Land

demi

I am on the final chapter I believe, nearing the end.

I have the Key to Hell, so I will access the extra chapter, and proceed to
use my Finalia Beam on Hades
!

Game is really easy, have had no trouble at all.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I have purchased this game and so far it looks fun. Haven't had much chance to play it but luckily Demi was kind of enough to fully explain the game to me and its mechanics.

SUCCESS

Tarazet

An EB salesman told me that Atlus is only printing 2,000 copies of this game. Is that true? That doesn't sound realistic, as it seems fairly easy to find right now. He didn't have any reason to lie to me, though, since he didn't have any copies in stock..

Oh, and btw, Irvine, CA is the city where you'll find a small company by the name of Nippon Ichi Soft..

demi

sonarrat said:
An EB salesman told me that Atlus is only printing 2,000 copies of this game. Is that true? That doesn't sound realistic, as it seems fairly easy to find right now. He didn't have any reason to lie to me, though, since he didn't have any copies in stock..

Oh, and btw, Irvine, CA is the city where you'll find a small company by the name of Nippon Ichi Soft..

Atlus games are always pretty much in limited supply, they are the obscurity prince!

The battles are surprisingly difficult, given that the plot/characters seem directed more to the 9-12 year old crowd.

It IS true turn-based combat, though, so that makes it worthy of a purchase - single player anime-style true-turn-based RPG.... mmm... it feels good just saying that. No ATB, no ever-growing battle bars.... becoming a rare beast. Support this.

Gibbo

I'm at Chapter 5 so far and I'm pretty much enjoying it..more so than Fire Emblem ( Tho they are 2 quite different games). The greatest challenge for me in the first few chapters was to carefully ration my weapons. I had a hell of a time defeating Archangel with the crappy weapons that I had back then. Graphics wise, the game is almost Unrivalled on the GBA, although the animation could have used abit more work. In the Sound department, I felt Riveria was slightly overrated by reviewers. There is simply too much recycling of tracks...and the music really sounds quite generic. Sorta like a cheap rip off from Valkyrie Profile's OST.

Monorojo

Banned
I heard you see female nipples in this game.

921257_20050711_screen014.jpg

yet its only rated T?

Tarazet

The more I read about this, the more I think it's the kind of game I might enjoy. Gamespot says it's very "streamlined" - so it's like Grandia II, sweeping you from one moment to the next with barely a moment to a catch your breath? Or is it not quite that frenetic?

Ironclad

Good review Mejilan. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The game doesn't really take any steps forward in the RPG genre but it is a solid experience. Battles can draw out and become tedious but the game has a nice "older" RPG feel to it. I'm definitely digging it so far and as soon as I am done with this, it's on to Atelier.

AniHawk

mdm said:
Can someone summarize the dating sim part?

Ever play SoA? It's SORTA like the swashbuckling system. Good responses = love, being a jackass means they'll hate ya.

Got to chapter 3, surprisingly fun.

demi

Sonarrat said:
The more I read about this, the more I think it's the kind of game I might enjoy. Gamespot says it's very "streamlined" - so it's like Grandia II, sweeping you from one moment to the next with barely a moment to a catch your breath? Or is it not quite that frenetic?

It goes like this

Town [homebase] ==> DUNGEON (Chapter) ==> Town [homebase] ==> DUNGEON (Chapter) ==> repeat

The town consists of various "hotspots" you can check in to and perhaps talk to someone about an item you found in a dungeon to create a new weapon and some such.

mdm said:
Can someone summarize the dating sim part?

There really *isn't* a dating part it seems, I dunno.

Basically you have one boy and four girls. You'll encounter parts where you are offered several answers to questions, some pleasing girls, some disappointing them, or half and half. There isn't any actual dating, like say, Thousand Arms. It's a stupid concept and I hate it, but it poses no harm to the game itself.

Monorojo said:

921257_20050711_screen014.jpg

yet its only rated T?

I have not encountered this and have no idea how to, so I cannot confirm. I'm nearing the end however, they are making me fight Dark Progenitors (the Accursed I killed prior), so they're pulling a MegaMan on me.

7 Chapters (8 being the extra bonus one)

The game doesn't really take any steps forward in the RPG genre but it is a solid experience

I think this is a fair ascersion; it's fun, it's somewhat different from the norm, but... like Resident Evil 4, it certainly isn't the direction that ALL *insert games in this genre* should take.

Ironclad

Sea-Dragon said:
I think this is a fair ascersion; it's fun, it's somewhat different from the norm, but... like Resident Evil 4, it certainly isn't the direction that ALL *insert games in this genre* should take.
Yeah, like I said. The game is solid. It doesn't have any flaws that absolutely destroy the game but it doesn't innovate either. I'm fine with this. As long as it's a good game and I can enjoy playing it, I don't care whether it strays from the typical RPG formula or adheres to it perfectly.

mosaic

go eat paint
Monorojo said:
Right after chapter 4, back in Elendia Town, talk to Fia and Lina in their house, then go to the Grove... you'll encounter a golem and a choice to leave it be or fight it. Get rid of the golem and Ein will peep the girls bathing in the hot spring.

Amir0x

Banned
mosaic said:
Right after chapter 4, back in Elendia Town, talk to Fia and Lina in their house, then go to the Grove... you'll encounter a golem and a choice to leave it be or fight it. Get rid of the golem and Ein will peep the girls bathing in the hot spring.

yeh, but even then you don't see anime nipples. The little girls hand is strategically placed in front of it ;)

demi

Amir0x said:
yeh, but even then you don't see anime nipples. The little girls hand is strategically placed in front of it ;)

Anime chicks don't have nipples and anime guys don't have schlongs, you saw the ending to Xenogears!

Amir0x

Banned
demi said:
Anime chicks don't have nipples and anime guys don't have schlongs

Good point! But why the need for strategically placed fingers? Illusion?

Edit: Here, found a link to the pic...

SLIGHTLY NSFW
SLIGHTLY NSFW

http://torchthebridge.com/forum/upload/rivperv_335.png

Random funny RIV pics...

http://torchthebridge.com/forum/upload/rivbreas_171.png (touchin' teh breasts)

http://torchthebridge.com/forum/upload/riv20_104.png (pedo angel)

http://torchthebridge.com/forum/upload/rivchickawrap_184.png (she makes fun of YOU for being scantily clad)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Good review Mejilan. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The game doesn't really take any steps forward in the RPG genre but it is a solid experience. Battles can draw out and become tedious but the game has a nice "older" RPG feel to it. I'm definitely digging it so far and as soon as I am done with this, it's on to Atelier.

Thanks. I'm happy you're digging it. I kinda took a break from it, but I'll have a good 3 days this week while I'm in between books (gonna finish one tomorrow, Harry Potter doesn't hit until Friday night), in which to play more Riviera! Cool beans that there's a hidden chapter... hopefully it'll be better than Dark Cloud 2's! Probably the only game I've ever played with extra content I had no interest in checking out!

Eric P

so far i'm enjoying it. i kind of miss the traditional ability to move my character and examine objects (a la' every other rpg), but the battle system is fun and the story isn't too annoying to me.

i'm happy with the purchase and will gladly loan it out to friends when i'm done.

demi

Beat it!

The "dating" part determines
who dies right before the final battle, the one who loved you the most
. And I think you get a different epilogue for each character (based on said person).

I lost
Fia
, so the final battle was a little nitpicky with healing.

The ending sucks, but it's so sweet~

Now to finish the bonus chapter, and wrap this game up!

demi

Well fuck, I just owned myself.

There's an item you find called the Finalia Beam that causes 999 damage for 8 hits, but a one time use with Ein.

So to anyone who discovers the Finalia Beam -- use it on the final boss to end the game quicker!

I figured I could save it and use it on the bonus chapter boss, so I never used it.

I load up the bonus chapter, and it's a straight up boss battle against
Hades
, but with SET ITEMS AND SET STATS ALONG WITH A FLAT 1000 HP FOR EVERYONE.

wtf is this shit

And above all, I saved over my ending save, so I'm pretty much stuck there now.

Fuck this! Don't have time for this, moving on. But I was close to winning for my first time.

john tv said:
I want this... where's the best/cheapest place to buy it?

Fry's had it for $25 last I checked, other than that it's $30 all around

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:
I want this... where's the best/cheapest place to buy it?

I want this too... and my favorite web site in Japan is sold out!!!

PLanet GameCube has a nice review about the game. It comes to great looks and sound, but 'different' gameplay and a story that takes too long to get into.

Riviera is definitely an “acquired taste” type of RPG. I went through a stream of different opinions about it, from hating it at the beginning to tolerating it through the middle, and having somewhat of a fondness toward the end. If you can deal with the seemingly dull gameplay long enough, though, you’ll end up having a great time.

I think I'll like it.

demi said:
Well fuck, I just owned myself.

There's an item you find called the Finalia Beam that causes 999 damage for 8 hits, but a one time use with Ein.

So to anyone who discovers the Finalia Beam -- use it on the final boss to end the game quicker!

I figured I could save it and use it on the bonus chapter boss, so I never used it.

I load up the bonus chapter, and it's a straight up boss battle against
Hades
, but with SET ITEMS AND SET STATS ALONG WITH A FLAT 1000 HP FOR EVERYONE.

wtf is this shit

And above all, I saved over my ending save, so I'm pretty much stuck there now.

Fuck this! Don't have time for this, moving on. But I was close to winning for my first time.

Hades
isn't as tough as he seems, he just takes a while. Just bring along the healing elixir's (they cure status effects as well) and as many
Holy
weapons as you can. You get two turns per character so you have recovery time, which you'll definitely need.

AniHawk

Ledah and Malice were fucking hard.
Lost Fia's Ultimate Weapon fighting them. Fia + Zephyr ended up beating the latter boss, barely.

demi

It also heals your party.

Mimic Ray and Divine Ascension were all I used, then finished it off with a Disaresta.

Only use Fia was to rub my swollen balls from the blue balls the stupid whores gave my character.

AniHawk

demi said:
It also heals your party.

Mimic Ray and Divine Ascension were all I used, then finished it off with a Disaresta.

Only use Fia was to rub my swollen balls from the blue balls the stupid whores gave my character.

Disaresta did only 113 damage with a full OD bar.

AniHawk

demi said:
Man, your characters sucked then.

What was the average HP for them?

700. Though I quit levelling Cierra a longass time ago. I didnt know about practice mode until Chapter 5, so I had level 300 characters for a good portion of the game.

Tarazet

For those interested in this game: if your Fry's didn't have any copies (like mine :( ), you can still get it on Amazon; use the links above and GAF will get a cut, and with their partners you can choose between free 1-day shipping (Gamestop) or no sales tax, except NY (J&R).

I'm going to sell a couple of games to get back into positive digits for the month and check it out...

AniHawk

Finally beat it at 22 hours. Average HP of about 830, final team being Ein, Fia, and Serene.

Had a bit of trouble with
Hector, but Seth-Rah was way too easy by comparison. Just switched between Einher jar and Infinite Arc and healed with Book of Gelt.

So what do the points do? Never saw anything for them...

Good game overall. Glad I took the plunge. Was just what I was looking for.

Top Bottom