• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road Cycling |OT| Clip in & Full Speed Ahead!

waypoetic

Banned
eoWRgdE.jpg

In this years Tour de France thread people wanted an OT for road cycling and everything surrounding it, so here it is (!); let's talk about the races (especially the grand tours), the teams, the riders and your own passion for the sport of road cycling!

I'd be cool if we could share photos from our rides, maybe our Strava profiles and/or even answer questions about the sport etc for those who might want to check it out and start riding themselfs.

If you do got questions i'd like to mention the guys over at Global Cycling Network and their awesome YouTube-channel. It's informative AND entertaining! Chapeau to Si, Matt, Tom and Dan.

Linius

Added this to my subs. Will try to follow cycling more outside of the Tour if I can. It's just a pain that it's usually during work/study. Vive le velo!

I don't cycle myself, I only run. But I'm interested. My dad has an old Bianchi in the shed that I could possibly refurbish. He recently got a baller new bike for himself, you can lift it with one finger. Fucking technology.

Gray Matter

Don't have a road bike (yet) but I have fallen in love with cycling since I got my bike (a trek 7.2) about 3 months ago, have put about 500 miles so far.

I didn't know I was going to enjoy riding so much, and now I desperately want a road bike. Have a $1000 that I think could spend without breaking the bank, but that would get something fairly simple, so I might just as we'll wait and save thru the winter and buy then.

So far the bikes I have been eyeing are the Trek Emonda ALR and the Trek Domane 2.0.

Anyone have or are familiar with these bikes?

waypoetic

Banned
Don't have a road bike (yet) but I have fallen in love with cycling since I got my bike (a trek 7.2) about 3 months ago, have put about 500 miles so far.

I didn't know I was going to enjoy riding so much, and now I desperately want a road bike. Have a $1000 that I think could spend without breaking the bank, but that would get something fairly simple, so I might just as we'll wait and save thru the winter and buy then.

So far the bikes I have been eyeing are the Trek Emonda ALR and the Trek Domane 2.0.

Anyone have or are familiar with these bikes?

Are you mostly a commuter or are you out and about exploring places? 500 miles on that Trek you've got is pretty good. Regarding Trek's road bikes; i know the Emonda is popular but i can't tell you much more than that. I'm a Specialized kind of guy myself.

Gray Matter

Are you mostly a commuter or are you out and about exploring places? 500 miles on that Trek you've got is pretty good. Regarding Trek's road bikes; i know the Emonda is popular but i can't tell you much more than that. I'm a Specialized kind of guy myself.

Both. My main use for the bike is to get to work and home, but on the weekends I go out riding 20-30 miles. Most I've done is ~40, I have it on good authority that riding a road bike is much better for doing long rides.

I'm in decent (better than I expected) shape so doing 30 miles has become fairly easy for me at a 12-14 MPH pace.

robox

Emonda is designed for climbing hills. lightness is emphasized
Domane is designed for comfort, relatively. it'll be a bit smoother over rough roads
Madone is designed for aerodynamics. faster on flat rides

hooray for marginal differentiations!

Gray Matter

Emonda is designed for climbing hills. lightness is emphasized
Domane is designed for comfort, relatively. it'll be a bit smoother over rough roads
Madone is designed for aerodynamics. faster on flat rides

hooray for marginal differentiations!

Hmm, that helps. Honestly, my main focus is to get a good road bike, everything else is just extra for me.

Hmm, that helps. Honestly, my main focus is to get a good road bike, everything else is just extra for me.

Focus on the components then. When I got my first road bike I went with the one that had Shimano 105 where it mattered (derailleurs, crank, shifters, brakes) and Tiagra everywhere else (rear cog, chain) over a bike that was all Tiagra.

Gray Matter

Focus on the components then. When I got my first road bike I went with the one that had Shimano 105 where it mattered (derailleurs, crank, shifters, brakes) and Tiagra everywhere else (rear cog, chain) over a bike that was all Tiagra.

Isn't mix matching parts not recommended?

One of the bikes I'm eyeing (Emonda ALR) has all the same shimano components, I forget which one.

waypoetic

Banned
Isn't mix matching parts not recommended?

One of the bikes I'm eyeing (Emonda ALR) has all the same shimano components, I forget which one.
It's not recommended by the manufacturer because they want you to buy the entire series ;) With that said you shouldn't mix Shimano with SRAM or Campagnolo, but Shimano 105 and Tiagra will [mostly] work fine together.

JPKellams

It's not recommended by the manufacturer because they want you to buy the entire series ;) With that said you shouldn't mix Shimano with SRAM or Campagnolo, but Shimano 105 and Tiagra will [mostly] work fine together.

Actually, you can mix a lot of SRAM with Shimano. A lot of people use Dura-Ace chains on SRAM Red setups. You can also use Shimano cassettes with SRAM. Free hubs are thus also compatible.

Campy is NOT compatible with Shimano/SRAM.

Yep, this. I wouldn't use Tiagra derailleurs with 105 shifters, but using a Tiagra chain with a 105 crank and Tiagra rear cassette is fine. The cassette and chain are going to be more or less the same across all the lines except for maybe weight.

cdViking

Tony Martin is my favorite cyclist. It's been a great and terrible Tour. Hopefully he can get a breakaway win in the Vuelta.

Gray Matter

Even other are telling me that I should be riding a road bike. Was going fast as all hell on my hybrid today with the group.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm checking Garmin Connect like two times a day now, checking to see if the newest firmware update is out. I want live segments from Strava Noooooow!

someday

Banned
The Vuelta isn't shown on TV where I live so I'm mostly following it via the r/peloton subreddit and cyclinghub videos. Looks like Nibali is disqualified though.

Gray Matter

So today I rode an old cannondale r800 bike, from the mid 90s, and boy did I notice a huge difference from my hybrid. Even though the bike was almost 20 years old, it felt great, one bad thing the frame was a bit small but nothing too bad that I couldn't ride it for long.

I know I wanted a road bike, but now, I need one.

JPKellams

Can we revive this thread, because I'm sick of seeing Mascot with his tired "jimmy this, jimmy that" every other post in the Bicycling thread.

Gray Matter

I'm surprised this thread didn't take off first time around.

I didn't do much cycling this year, actually, only rode my bike a handful of times. I'm getting a new bike early next year, a proper road bike so I'm excited. Don't know what to get yet however.

T8SC

Road cycling has taken off massively in the last few years, a lot of people saying it's the "new Golf" for middle aged men. Thankfully I don't fall into the middle aged category but I do enjoy road cycling with both a summer & winter bike. Winter is mainly for charity rides & club rides whereas summer covers those plus sportives & races. Thinking of partaking in TT's in 2017 so currently eyeing up a few TT bikes & wheels.

Allroad bikes have a better aesthetic than cx bikes, a certain je ne sais quoi. Makes me want to upgrade my Kona Jake to something flashier.

frontieruk

Allroad bikes have a better aesthetic than cx bikes, a certain je ne sais quoi. Makes me want to upgrade my Kona Jake to something flashier.

How is it? I've looked at getting the snake as its in my price range but can't find a dealer with one in stock locally

The frame has a very straightforward design and there's good tyre clearance (I think I can squeeze in 40c on my 2015, and it's only gotten better). Geometry suits my long legs and short arms. Ridden it in all kinds of places, from icy singletrack to 100km+ road rides, always been reasonably comfy. Also the parts mix is nicely chosen: even my cheap ass model has full Tiagra with a 11-32 wide range cassette and tubeless ready rims that just needed new rim tape to seal flawlessly. Only thing it lacked was a loud freehub.

JPKellams

I just want a decent road bike, not a big fan of off road cycling.

For your budget, I'd say something like a Felt F75 series, or a Specialized Allez. If you don't mind a slightly harsher ride, go aluminum with a better groupset. If you want something nicer, go carbon, but don't compromise below a Shimano 105/Sram Force groupset.

Gray Matter

So, a local bike shop had a few bikes left over and I ended up getting a Madone 3.1

It fits and rides great, and a great price for a full carbon frame too. Very happy with the purchase. Can't to start riding it.

JPKellams

Ninth in my first ever race - a 7 lap criterium. Blazing fast for a beginner's class (second fastest of all the races that day), but it was alot of fun.

frontieruk

Ninth in my first ever race - a 7 lap criterium. Blazing fast for a beginner's class (second fastest of all the races that day), but it was alot of fun.

Congrats on the race, commiserations on the other big news of the week :( wasn't my type of game but it looked interesting.

Finally, after a year of saving, and virtually no riding in 2016, upgraded to a road bike. Can't wait to get this bad boy on the road.

P.S it's a Madone 3.1 for those who are curious.

Looks lovely, I was hoping to add a proper road bike to my collection this year, not sure I'm going to be able to afford it :(

frontieruk

Well after having my bike stolen from work, I went full roadie

defy-adv-2-hd-compt1jx3.jpg

With a Defy advanced 2, the LBS gave me £200 in accessories for it including conti 4 seasons tyres :) as they were gutted for me knowing how much I was looking after the stolen one :(

Gray Matter

Well after having my bike stolen from work, I went full roadie

defy-adv-2-hd-compt1jx3.jpg

With a Defy advanced 2, the LBS gave me £200 in accessories for it including conti 4 seasons tyres :) as they were gutted for me knowing how much I was looking after the stolen one :(

Welcome to the club, friend. Sorry about the stolen bike.

I also got myself a new road bike last month, can't wait to start riding it.

frontieruk

Welcome to the club, friend. Sorry about the stolen bike.

I also got myself a new road bike last month, can't wait to start riding it.

Shit happens, got a new roadie, and saw a reasonable deal on a CX on an auction site so picked that up as well as my daily commuter as it was dirt cheap.

JPKellams

Shit happens, got a new roadie, and saw a reasonable deal on a CX on an auction site so picked that up as well as my daily commuter as it was dirt cheap.

Nice bike. Are the discs hydro or cable pull?

I jumped up to a C3 Crit last weekend and got ninth again. Old track racing skills kicked in. I sat in the pack and relaxed then went full gas on the last lap. Climbed 21 places in less than a minute of racing. So much fun.

frontieruk

Nice bike. Are the discs hydro or cable pull?

I jumped up to a C3 Crit last weekend and got ninth again. Old track racing skills kicked in. I sat in the pack and relaxed then went full gas on the last lap. Climbed 21 places in less than a minute of racing. So much fun.

The specs say hydro, but I'm sure it's a cable system with a Giant hydraulic hub to connect to a hydraulic disc set.

Congrats on position, that was a banzai last lap :)

frontieruk

So got to take the Defy on a decent distance ride today, apart from some gearing issues that is back at the shop for and an annoying rattle which is also being investigated, I'm in total love with this bike.

I've never finished a longish ride ever feeling so fresh, it was also a beautiful day so everything just felt great.

On a side note I can't wait for my Elemnt Bolt to arrive :)

Top Bottom