• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road House - Official Trailer | Prime Video

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Donnie Darko and Enemy. Those are my two fav Jake G flicks.

Donnie Darko and Southpaw for me I suppose. I only watched Enemy once because of the ending scene. Ykwyk.

And to be honoust I enjoyed the fuck out of his demeanor in Road House lmao.

I don't really keep up with movies so maybe I've missed some.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
coner has addicition I have this with beer

Yeah. The comments said it all. And yeah Jake while uncomfortable perhaps has a okay/good chemistry with Conor:

Loved Jake's reaction when he got called wholesome. <3

Also hard agree with comfortable - Jake

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Jake isn't cool. Jake is weird. The role requires cool.

Being so aloof and carefree because you know your levels above them when facing a group of bikers isn't cool. I don't know what is. And him acting that way was wierd in a way wasn't it lol

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Being so aloof and carefree because you know your levels above them when facing a group of bikers isn't cool. I don't know what is.

That's the character. I'm talking about the casting.

He's great in Nightcrawler, Prisoners, and Donnie Darko. Jake Gyllenhaal plays oddball introverts, not Patrick Swayze types.

Roni

Gold Member
Watched it with the family and my mom and stepfather both loved it. It's good, mindless fun and there's a big audience for that kind of movie nowadays with all the doom and gloom of daily life and the news. I think streaming was actually a decent choice, my parents wouldn't have went to the theater for this, but they watched it day one because it was streaming.

I think someone behind the scenes is actually looking at the numbers, this movie wouldn't have performed as well if released theatrically.

That's the character. I'm talking about the casting.

He's great in Nightcrawler, Prisoners, and Donnie Darko. Jake Gyllenhaal plays oddball introverts, not Patrick Swayze types.
That's why it works, because this isn't the Patrick Swayze movie.

The guy in this movie was an oddball introvert. Not only did he keep to himself for most of the movie except for a handful of people, he stayed in an isolated boat house, had thoughts of suicide, and when he finally snapped and willfully killed someone he had a creepy, gleeful smile as if he was finally happy he could let loose and enjoy murdering others.

The only shame about what I've just described is the fact that the movie didn't lean further into this and take a darker turn than it did.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
not Patrick Swayze types.

Just for fun. Who's a Swayze type in your opinion?

Also. Your perception of an actor is yours and yours alone. You didn't enjoyed Jake because of your internal perception. You're type casting. Seen Southpaw?

Also, Jake seemed TO ME more psychotic rather than quirky.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Now i want a reboot of Ghost with Jake.
And have the Whoopi Oda Mae Brown character be increasingly surrounded by ghosts that end up being the victims of serial killer Sam Wheat (and corp exec Carl Bruner was just defending himself when he killed Sam) as he obsessively stalks pottery maker Molly Jensen :p

It's a twist!!!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And have the Whoopi Oda Mae Brown character be increasingly surrounded by ghosts that end up being the victims of serial killer Sam Wheat (and corp exec Carl Bruner was just defending himself when he killed Sam) as he obsessively stalks pottery maker Molly Jensen :p

It's a twist!!!

Boys! We've got a movie!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just for fun. Who's a Swayze type in your opinion?

Also. Your perception of an actor is yours and yours alone. You didn't enjoyed Jake because of your internal perception. You're type casting. Seen Southpaw?

Also, Jake seemed TO ME more psychotic rather than quirky.

I only watched the first 40 minutes so maybe I didn't grasp the entire artistic vision. There's a scene early on where Jake is walking across a parking lot and someone says hi to him. The message the scene is trying to convey is the characters growing magnetism in the community, only Jake doesn't exude that kind of energy AT ALL.

Maybe Chris Hemsworth? A younger Jamie Foxx? I can't think of many young actors today. Someone who can play charming, wise, and tough.

Everyone type casts. It's why Rick Moranis always played the nerd. It's why Jake Gyllenhaal was great in Nightcrawler.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Because he didn't sought out magnetisme for good reasons.

Although he is human and has a good heart which he shows very well later on.

He explained that everyone he has a connection with will eventually ends up getting hurt.

Hence his demeanor.

In that sense he's very aware and grieving regarding his mental state. Subtext

Are you a fan and or interested in fighting or martial arts in general?

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Perhaps I connect with his character in a certain way which makes me participate to much regarding how he acts.

Moneal

I only watched the first 40 minutes so maybe I didn't grasp the entire artistic vision. There's a scene early on where Jake is walking across a parking lot and someone says hi to him. The message the scene is trying to convey is the characters growing magnetism in the community, only Jake doesn't exude that kind of energy AT ALL.
That wasn't the message I got from that scene. I got that this is a small community and everyone knows and hears about everything that goes on in it. Dalton even kinda cringes every time someone calls out his name. He doesn't want that type of attention and tries to avoid it throughout the whole movie.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That wasn't the message I got from that scene. I got that this is a small community and everyone knows and hears about everything that goes on in it. Dalton even kinda cringes every time someone calls out his name. He doesn't want that type of attention and tries to avoid it throughout the whole movie.

Not sure how many times we need to spell it out.

Rewatching atm.

Btw I love how he inserts his fight/consequence knowledge into the movie. Good soul/Sad damaged soul.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Slightly.........🤣🤣🤣 he's not flexing, he's literally walking around with his arms 3 ft apart whilst clenching his fish non stop

As said, it's comedy genius on his part 🤣

Yeah not really huh upon second viewing

BiGeYc7.jpg

Toots

Gold Member
Agreed!

I like you Toots 👊🏽

Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF
You're a great guy 22:22:22 22:22:22
I love your honesty and the way you are unapologetically yourself !
But at the same time you're very sensitive to others advices and always striving to be better !
That's an immensely winning combo in my book

Youre Great Don Cornelius GIF by Soul Train

Toots

Gold Member
There's a scene early on where Jake is walking across a parking lot and someone says hi to him. The message the scene is trying to convey is the characters growing magnetism in the community, only Jake doesn't exude that kind of energy AT ALL.
I think that scene could be meant to show how tightly knit the community is. You beat up some guys one night and the next day everyone knows about it. If the guys were known bullies and criminals, it is quite normal that people of the same community will be friendly knowing what you did.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You're a great guy 22:22:22 22:22:22
I love your honesty and the way you are unapologetically yourself !
But at the same time you're very sensitive to others advices and always striving to be better !
That's an immensely winning combo in my book

Youre Great Don Cornelius GIF by Soul Train

That very kind Toots. To kind. I'm mostly a pessimistic cunt and sometimes call posters the very same lol.

Here's to you as well!

The Shining Reaction GIF

I think that scene could be meant to show how tightly knit the community is. You beat up some guys one night and the next day everyone knows about it. If the guys were known bullies and criminals, it is quite normal that people of the same community will be friendly knowing what you did.

Correct. It also served as a setup for Jake to not leave so the rest of the movie could happen.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Dude we get it, you want conor to tongue punch your octagon

FWIW I didn't mean to diminish anything from your experience of that scene my man. Just wanted to show how bulky his upper lats are. Sorry if it came across differently.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Trully stupidly fun. I love to see Jake Gyllenhaal in movies, hes such a good actor and ironically he has a good synergy with Mcgregor

Yeah really funny. You can see that synergy in the sneaker vid above as well.

Btw upon second viewing..

Remember Knox headbutting that guy for the jacket and the scene just hard cuts into him walking towards the camera while that market stall looked like a napalm bomb was dropped on it

I do 🤣

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Finally watched it. Was pretty ok. Conor was high af but at least I cracked up every time he showed up on screen. Jake is well Jake, amazing charm, carried the whole thing. We need more movies where hes just straight up badass. I give it a 7.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I expected this to be a serious modern reboot of the original and was pleased to find it put the fun first.

Doug Liman knows how to make crowd-pleasers that are well-paced with this and Edge of Tomorrow.

My favorite lines:

Guy who just watched Jake G shoot a dead body: "I'll tell them you did it."

Jake G: "Oh, okay 🤪 "

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched this movie and, yea, I dunno. It had none of the elements that made the original so good. I didn't get invested in anything, it was like a series of scenes. I don't need to see 80's style love scenes but it was weird how everything was offscreen when Dalton got with the hot chick. It had a few funny/interesting moments, like how the band was still playing in an empty and destroyed bar, but yea, overall I don't know why they bother with these types of movies. It is like, from the outset, they knew they were making a film not as good as the original.

And Conor McGregor, FFS, never put him in a movie again. Looked like a roided out Popeye who just learned to walk again after a horrible accident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom