• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert E. Lee descendant pushed to leave pastor post after racial justice speech

Slayven

Given the reference I've seen tossed around that after the war Lee was opposed to Confederate monuments, I think at some basic level the family has long been aware and accepting of how not only was their ancestor's side was the loser of the war, but what that loss actually meant. Even a simple glance at his postwar politics section on wikipedia suggests he had a really weird, really complex set of values after the war, so the possibility of such values morphing over time through the descendants into something more solidly positive seems... not too out there.

Yeah and they are not that removed from him like they probably knew relatives that knew him.

That fucking first comment towards Lee.

Wow.

His speech was actually really tame. There's something fucking wrong with people if they take "someone being run over" to mean "protecting America".

Garlador

Man these people would ban Jesus himself from his own religion and church.

Megachurch Pastor would vote for Trump over Jesus.

As a Christian man - and, like, one who actually READ the Bible and believes in the tenants of doing good to your fellow man, and loving they neighbor (of which a whole parable was told that your "neighbor" is whoever is in need, no matter their origin), and the hypocrisy of the Pharisees who twisted the scripture to be self-serving, etc. - it's tough.

Standing up for the equality of our fellow man... That's a Christian doctrine.

I truly wonder how many so-called Christians would act if they were aware their savior was a brown Jew from the Middle East who probably looked more like this:
gallery-1450102902-screen-shot-2015-12-14-at-91810-am.png

Beartruck

Lee himself said to not build any monuments to him, but I guess fuck him and fuck his descendants, we gotta make a statue to scare some brown people.

Garlador

When loving thy neighbor is the least Christian thing you can do...

"Who is my neighbor?"

The thing about the parable of the Good Samaritan is that the Jews and the Samaritans despised each other...

Priests and rabbis walk on, but the "despicable" Samaritan stops to lend a hand.

"Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbour to him who fell among the robbers?"

He said, "He who showed mercy on him."

Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

VariantX

When "Christians" confront Christianity...

A real shame what happened to him. A greater shame that people keep catching feelings from statements that should not apply to them. But they showed their asses anyway.

Robert E Lee IV, you tried. Abandon this hopeless flock.

Though, depressed at this, I think I know what might life my spirits a bit. It's Kingsman time (spoiler to those who haven't watched the first movie).

xeris

Seems odd that a church he's the pastor of would have a congregation that would disagree with what he's saying. Like, how do you go to a church where the pastor is going to have this sort of attitude (IE: an actual christian attitude) and somehow still harbor enough blatant racism that i makes you uncomfortable to hear it?

That congregation doesn't deserve thsi dude, tbh.

United Church of Christ is an odd duck in that each individual congregation is different. For example, mine was created as one of the first racially integrated churches in Virginia during segregation and was vandalized for being pro-LBGTQ and supporting multiculturalism. Part of this is that each congregation hires and fires their own minister. The article says he was hired in April. My guess is that they 1) didn't do enough to see if he fit with their community (as repulsive as it appears to be) and 2) May not have liked how high profile he was that early in his career and the attention that would bring (reasonable to a point, but made worse by the congregation's views)

Top Bottom