• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robin Williams dead at 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
I decided to watch The Fisher King last night since I surprisingly hadn't seen it before.

Williams was incredible in it. Such energy and range. Some of the scenes were so tragic knowing how his life ended. Props to Jeff Daniels too. He did a great job.

Log4Girlz

I still can't believe it. Of all the people. Dammit, of all the celebrities he was one of the top I'd like to meet. Such a cool, down to earth, young at heart bad ass.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Michael J. Fox on Twitter.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/c...lliams-s-parkinson-s-diagnosis-003913716.html

https://twitter.com/realmikefox/status/500038871841644546

Stunned to learn Robin had PD. Pretty sure his support for our Fdn predated his diagnosis. A true friend; I wish him peace.

ITQZkCY.png

TheOddOne

- Independent: Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
If there's one aspect to Robin Williams's personality that has come up time and time again in the floods of tributes that have poured in for him since his death, it is his bigheartedness.

Putting in calls to the Schindler's List cast and crew in character as the Genie from Aladdin and visiting sex shops dressed as Mrs Doubtfire, Williams was always trying to make people's day and cheer them up with his unique brand of humour.

Following his death, co-star Lisa Jakub (Lydia Hillard) has opened up about the time he was able to help her out, explaining in a blog post how Williams wrote to her principal after her school kicked her out just for taking a few months off to film Mrs Doubtfire and refused to have her back.

In the letter Lisa passed on to The Independent below, Williams scolds the school for its stance on the matter, evoking the world view of his character Sean in Good Will Hunting as he insists that "a student of her calibre and talent should be encouraged to go out in the world and learn through her work."
Williams' pleas were ultimately unsuccessful, with the school not taking her back (though the letter was framed and hung in the principal's office, annoyingly), but the kindness Williams showed Lisa had a profound effect on her.

"Even though I had not spoken with Robin in a very long time, I always assumed there would be some future opportunity to tell him that his letter changed my life," she lamented.

"It taught me that you stand up for the things that matter. And even if your attempts fail, you tried. You told the truth. You took care of your friends. You fought back."

Williams' pleas were ultimately unsuccessful, with the school not taking her back (though the letter was framed and hung in the principal's office, annoyingly)

This is just adding insult to injury. Not taking her back but framing the damn letter ? How vain must one be ? Man.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I knew Robin Williams was a good person but didn't realize how much of a heart he had. Makes the whole thing even more sad. What a terrible month it has been for this forum, this country and the world. :(

I decided to watch The Fisher King last night since I surprisingly hadn't seen it before.

Williams was incredible in it. Such energy and range. Some of the scenes were so tragic knowing how his life ended. Props to Jeff Daniels too. He did a great job.
I think you mean Jeff Bridges.

It is an interesting movie. But I tend to love most things that Terry Gilliam makes. (Though I did prefer Bill Murray more as Hunter S. Thompson than the Terry Gilliam version of Fear & Loathing.)

Well it seems that Simmons is feeling the heat
The Kiss singer backtracks in the wake of public outrage after Robin Williams’ apparent suicide

After getting in hot water for statements he made on the topic of depression, rocker Gene Simmons has backtracked his comments.

“I want to make this statement about my views on depression for the record and to clarify my prior remarks,” the Kiss singer posted to his Facebook. “I was wrong and in the spur of the moment made remarks that in hindsight were made without regard for those who truly suffer the struggles of depression.”
http://www.thewrap.com/gene-simmons-apologizes-over-depression-comments-i-was-wrong/

I've been reading a lot ultimately for both personal interest and business aid, and I wanted to create a playlist with some of the music that has appeared on many of Mr. Williams' films while I read. Believe or not, some of us can connect actors immediately with the music of some of the movies they have made.

From Elliot Smith's haunting Between the Bars from Good Will Hunting to John Williams' whimsical score for Hook, there is a lot there to remind us about what a career full of achievements Mr. Williams had.

It may sound a bit selfish, but is my way to honor this brave man who made me laugh and believe that there was still hope even on your lowest point.

Anyone wants to contribute to this?

Hopefully, he really saw how wrong he was and he's not just trying to cool things down.

I just watched it as well; enjoyed it quite a bit.

BowieZ

Banned
I've been reading a lot ultimately for both personal interest and business aid, and I wanted to create a playlist with some of the music that has appeared on many of Mr. Williams' films while I read. Believe or not, some of us can connect actors immediately with the music of some of the movies they have made.

From Elliot Smith's haunting Between the Bars from Good Will Hunting to John Williams' whimsical score for Hook, there is a lot there to remind us about what a career full of achievements Mr. Williams had.
Playlist for Hook:
1. Prologue
2. When You're Alone
3. Hook-Napped
4. The Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland
5. Presenting the Hook
6. Smee's Plan
7. The Lost Boy Chase
8. The Banquet
9. The Never-Feast
10. You Are The Pan
11. The Ultimate War
12. Remembering Childhood
13. Farewell Neverland

S.Dedalus

I just watched it (The Fisher King) as well; enjoyed it quite a bit.

I watched it last night after reading some posts here about it, had never seen it before. I'm usually not a fan of Gilliam's non-Python work, but this film was breathtaking and I got much more emotionally invested than I was expecting. Williams and Bridges were both terrific in it.

Fatalah

I never heard of Fisher King. I hope to check it out this weekend.

I was wondering where new Knicks head coach Derek Fisher's nickname came from.

Ahh, a real group of winners posting on my local news FB story on the Parkinson's Disease reveal. We got the "what about ____", the "no one cares" cunts, the "selfish" comments and some guy saying he's sure his son would be glad to trade his MS for Parkinson's because I guess PD is so much better and all sorts of other fun.

Why are they invoking Good Will Hunting? I mean I get his character from the movie and all but this pre-dates the movie by several years...

sirap

I tear up everytime I watch Good Will Hunting, and this was when he was still alive. I don't think I can watch that movie anymore now that he's gone :(

Jarrod38

I guess Us Weekly felt Beyonce was more important to be the main story than Robin. They gave her front cover and Robin a side picture.

Forsete

Swedish TV has been showing William movies the past few days. Tonight they are showing "Awakenings". I love this movie.

Damn I miss you Robin. :(

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
watching the fisher king for the first time wow such an underrated movie, i keep stopping it though i see robin ans start tearing up, goddamn

Williams' pleas were ultimately unsuccessful, with the school not taking her back (though the letter was framed and hung in the principal's office, annoyingly), but the kindness Williams showed Lisa had a profound effect on her.

Someone should steal that letter as a school prank. :p

I read an article about how the WBC is going to at his funeral. Goddammit.

Swedish TV has been showing William movies the past few days. Tonight they are showing "Awakenings". I love this movie.

Damn I miss you Robin. :(

I love Awakenings. I caught it on TV one night by chance years ago.

Since his death, I've been going through Williams' catalogue. I finished Good Will Hunting again tonight and I'm hoping to watch Good Morning Vietnam in the next day or two.

Had no idea there were so many of his films on Netflix. This past week I kept telling myself I wanted to watch Hook and Jumanji and there they are when I fire it up today. Those, Good Will Hunting, Birdcage and Fisher King are all on the "Most Popular" list so people must be going on Williams' binges since his death.

Speaking of Fisher King, never seen is. Is it good?

Had no idea there were so many of his films on Netflix. This past week I kept telling myself I wanted to watch Hook and Jumanji and there they are when I fire it up today. Those, Good Will Hunting, Birdcage and Fisher King are all on the "Most Popular" list so people must be going on Williams' binges since his death.

Speaking of Fisher King, never seen is. Is it good?

It's one of his best. Definitely a must-see.

In the last week ive watched:

Mrs. Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society (first time seeing)
Aladdin
Jumanji

and on Hook now.

gonna watch Worlds Greatest Dad, Birdcage (never seen), death to smoochy (never seen), insomnia, and what dreams may come

Frog-fu

Banned
In the last week ive watched:

Mrs. Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society (first time seeing)
Aladdin
Jumanji

and on Hook now.

gonna watch Worlds Greatest Dad, Birdcage (never seen), death to smoochy (never seen), insomnia, and what dreams may come

I've watched

Good Morning Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
Mrs Doubtfire

and I've got Aladdin, Hook, What Dreams May Come and Jumanji waiting still.

It still hasn't it me that Robin Williams is well and truly gone. Thinking about it genuinely makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom