• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 | Review Thread

Will Rock Band 4 be a Stairway to Heaven or a Shit Sandwich? We'll find out what critics think at 7 AM PST, when the review embargo lifts. I'll be editing this thread with reviews as they come in.

---

GamesRadar - 5/5

It’s impossible to overstate how much Harmonix and Mad Catz have achieved here by securing legacy support for both existing instruments and downloadable content. This is the only Rock Band game that will be released for current gen systems, with downloadable updates keeping it fresh throughout the rest of the generation. If you have any interest in rhythm action (or indeed music), then it’s one you simply must have in your collection.

Forbes - 9

Rock Band 4 may have lost a few features (some temporarily, some permanently) in its transition to Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but the core gameplay is dramatically improved by allowing us to be more expressive, while preserving the older mechanics for those resistant to change. It’s player choice at its finest, and a welcome return to fake plastic rocking.

IGN - 8.8

The track list that comes on the Rock Band 4 disc is a little light on memorable songs, but thanks to admirable backward compatibility with a huge DLC catalog, Rock Band 4 remains every bit the magical cooperative gaming experience the series has always been. Getting a band together in the living room to rock out creates some incredible moments of musical joy. On top of that, a new career mode injects some fun personality and decision-making, while solos let you express yourself mid-song without penalty. Rock Band still fulfills its potential to make me feel like a superstar musician and, like 65-year-old Bruce Springsteen still doing killer three-hour shows , proves that it’s still got “it.”

Game Informer - 8.75

In this year’s music-game scene, Rock Band 4 offers tried-and-true polish, and an impressive opportunity for backward compatibility. Whether you’re importing a back catalog or not, the new title stands on its own with smart music selections, and skill-based gameplay refined over years of experimentation. After a few years away, I’d almost forgotten how fun the Rock Band experience can be.

Gametrailers - 8.6

PlayStation Nation - 8.5

Fans of the series should be happy with this new version. Cosmetically it’s seen few changes but under the hood many things have been tweaked and a lot of the features that fans have been asking for have been added.

Shacknews - 8

Like any band's reunion tour, it's easy to get caught up in nostalgia. But Rock Band 4 proves to be far more than that. It's a return to form, putting the focus back on four-player fun without any overly-complicated mechanics. The new additions all focus on just letting loose and having a good time and even those mechanical additions aren't forced. The DLC situation is something of a mess, but those willing to bear through it will have a sure-fire party gem on their hands.

Worthplaying - 8

In the end, Rock Band 4 offers up plenty of fun, especially if you can regularly gather a group of friends. It's an excellent party game and an enjoyable way to pass the time solo. However, it isn't really an upgrade from Rock Band 3. Rather, Rock Band 4 is more like a straightforward HD update for the current generation of systems.

We Got This Covered - 4/5

All in all, Rock Band 4 is a very robust and impressive music game, albeit one that could’ve been better. It’s fun, challenging and infinitely replayable, and will likely serve you well for years to come if Harmonix makes good on its platform vision. That said, its hefty price tag could hurt it.

The Jimquisition - 7.5

If you’ve never had a Rock Band game before, this is as good a time as any to jump in, but be aware that you’ll be wanting to peruse that huge store of downloadable content in order to get a setlist you’re happy with. Series veterans, however, will have no such trouble, and very little reason not to check this one out. It’s a good basis for something that has potential to get even better as the years go on.

All that said… I still can’t believe there’s no Electric Light Orchestra. For Christ’s sake Harmonix, GET IT SORTED.

Destructoid - 7

Rock Band 4 is a bit of a conundrum. On one hand, it's not only a hassle to switch generations due to the fact that so many elements don't work with the new one, but additionally -- Rock Band 3 is still a thing, supports all of your DLC, and has more features. On the other, there's nothing inherently wrong with this iteration, and for those of you who missed out in the past or have broken 360s or PS3s, you'll still be able to rock out into the night with friends and have a whole lot of fun.

Gamespot - 7

Rock Band 4 recaptures the unadulterated gratification that made the series such a hit half a decade ago, but mainly because it’s a relatively unchanged, repackaged Rock Band 2. A lack of content and general stagnation hold this particular iteration of Rock Band back, but new ideas like Freestyle Solos genuinely enhance the core experience, which remains a sincere and joyful celebration of music.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Consolidation might not sound very rock'n'roll, but what Rock Band 4 does, at its best, is work hard to melt away any distance between the player and the music. When you're in full flight on Rush's A Passage To Bangkok, locked into a groove with friends operating as a tight, responsive, giddy unit, it's a powerful reminder of just why rhythm games become so insanely popular so quickly. When everything clicks into focus, it's an exhilarating experience that increases your enjoyment of favourite songs by beaming you inside them. The second coming of Rock Band and Guitar Hero might not be able to achieve the rocketing success of their debuts, but - on this evidence, at least - Rock Band 4 makes it possible to relive past glories while creating equally vivid new ones. It's a remarkable achievement.

TechnoBuffalo - Wait

As a new game, Rock Band 4 is a bit rocky, and it’s tough to recommend picking it up right away. Harmonix has always been good about supporting fans, though, and by the time Christmas rolls around, many of the kinks that currently exist – missing tracks, fan-requested features, and more – will almost certainly be solved. Further, Harmonix wants Rock Band 4 to be a platform – there will be no Rock Band 5 as a follow-up to this one, nor will we see Rock Band: Mumford & Sons or anything like that. This means we can likely look forward to new features and improvements to the game for a long time to come.

Ars Technia - No Score

By the end of the night, when the entire party was singing along to Piano Man at the top of their lungs, I got that same transcendent feeling of connection that I first experienced in that E3 Rock Band suite so many years go. After years of overexposure, a few years of absence for this style of rhythm game has gone a long way to making my heart grow fonder for Rock Band. Now that some time has passed, Rock Band 4 is as good an excuse as any to remind yourself why the genre became a fad in the first place, and to rediscover the joy to be found in plastic instruments that may still have some life in them yet.

GameZone - No Score

Rock Band 4 is, for the most part, exactly the game you remembered. Sure, there are some slight refinements and changes to mix it up a bit, but even if you're stuck in the old ways of Rock Band, you can recreate that experience exactly. That may or may not be a negative for you. If you're looking for an all new experience, Rock Band 4 doesn't really bring it. What it does bring, however, is the full band experience to current-gen consoles. If, like me, you've already parted with your last-gen consoles, and missed rocking out with your friends, then this release was a long time coming.

On one hand, those coming in from past Rock Band will ease right into the new game. All past DLC is there, legacy controller support is there, and a suite of customizable gameplay options make it one of the most user friendly rhythm games to date. However, for those that are investing in Rock Band 4 for the first time, will find a rather slim track list on disc, one that they'll certainly want to increase in size with DLC.

Oh man. Interested to see how this goes. The improvements look good and carrying over DLC and legacy instruments is a big achievement, but there is some missing stuff that may be hard for some to overlook.

Waiting with bated breath.
rock-cat-band-o.gif

edit:sorry breh

5amshift

Banned
High 70's on Meta us my guess. And that is only because Harmonix has a close to friendship like relations with media.

Going for a solid 7. We know they have gameplay down, and it seems polished up pretty well in this installment. The effort to support legacy hardware and DLC is impressive too, but there are a lot of features that seem to be absent and that will definitely work against it critically.

Tenebrous

What's your reasoning for this? Song selection? Instrument feel? Presentation? Please explain.

Why's that?

Just not a fan of plastic tat, and the music choice is always 95% junk to me. I've only ever played it with my partners brother, so maybe I'm missing out on the whole party scene gameplay thingy.

It's just my personal taste. If I were reviewing objectively, I'd give them a 6/7 without hesitation, as they're definitely not bad games... Just not for me. Still interested to see how this one reviews, though!

Here's the Metacritic history for RB.

RB1:92
RB2:92
TBRB:89
RB3:93

I'm expecting high 70's low 80's. But scores will be updated with future updates to the game.

antitrop

Expecting 7 and 8s for being solid, but nothing really new.

More interested to see how Guitar Hero reviews, since that game is more significantly different that the older ones.

ViciousDS

Banned
Here's the Metacritic history for RB.

RB1:92
RB2:92
TBRB:89
RB3:93

I'm expecting high 70's low 80's. But scores will be updated with future updates to the game.

I'm expecting a solid 8. With todays scale anything 7 or low is considered shit to the gen pop lol.....even though 7 is actually average and a solid grade.

Woffls

I'm sure most will be along the lines of "this is the Rock Band you know and love, backwards compatibility is really neat, there's a bunch of features missing but whatever. Hope you've got loads of friends like we have! 8/10".

I'll probably buy this because I'm weak and love these games :(

Expecting a solid 80 on metacritic due to backwards compatibility being the main factor. While guitar hero will end up in the high 60s.

hodgy100

It's a shame. So much work has probably gone into instrument compatibility and getting our DLC over that its probably cut into the feature list of the game, and even though i'm perfectly fine with that, you can tell the review scores are going to get a hit for it.

Z3M0G

I wonder how many reviewers will open their review with "Why am I doing this?"

Personally, I'd feel really weird playing these instruments again...

Expecting a solid 80 on metacritic due to backwards compatibility being the main factor. While guitar hero will end up in the high 60s.

I'm expecting GHL's reviews to be comparable to RB4's. The updated gameplay is getting some good buzz, and while the on-disc content is even leaner than RB4's, I can see GHTV making up for that in some people's eyes.

DarkOneX

High 60's will be surprising for GHL. Played this a few times at shows now and it keeps getting better.

This = GHL? I'm getting a $100 Amazon card for doing some webex so think I'm gonna go ahead and use that to get GHL as well even though I wasn't going to buy it, looks kinda cool too.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Been waiting for this a long time (huge fan since Guitar Hero 2). I'll pick this up tommorow, these games have always been a great way to unwind after a harsh day at work.

Z_Y

As somebody who went all digital this gen...there is literally no reasonable way to buy this game.

Can't buy the guitar separate. It appears my old trusty wired guitars do not work with the legacy adapter. And last gen wireless peripherals are ridiculously expensive in the second hand market, it seems. So yea....I guess that's that. Maybe 2016 when I can pick a guitar separately...maybe not.

Does it release as a controller-set-bundle? I've never owned a Guitar Hero- or Rock Band -game ( I have played those at a friend's place, though ), but I'd be interested in this.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
It will be interesting to see how the reviews come in for this. Missing modes at launch, some poor communication regarding exports, etc.

I know I'm excited to pick up mine tomorrow so doesn't bother me either way.

Lé Blade Runner;180760740 said:
Does it release as a controller-set-bundle? I've never owned a Guitar Hero- or Rock Band -game ( I have played those at a friend's place, though ), but I'd be interested in this.

There's a guitar-and-game bundle ($130) and a bundle with the game, guitar, drums, and microphone ($250).

GavinGT

Banned
There's a guitar-and-game bundle ($130) and a bundle with the game, guitar, drums, and microphone ($250).

Or you could pick up the old instruments at a Good Will for practically nothing. Then you may need an adapter depending on which console you own.

Xbox One: $20 adapter needed
PS4: no adapter needed

Apoc29

Very interested to see how this is going to be received. I'm right on the fence of whether or not to pick it up.

I haven't played RB4 yet, but based on what I've seen so far, this is the kind of game where if you didn't enjoy the previous entries in the series, there's nothing here that's going to push you over the edge unless you really like the on-disc songs.

If you've never played Rock Band before, RB4 should be the definitive version, but maybe not quite at launch. People who play for fun at parties should have everything need right now; hardcore players that play for score may be missing features that will be added in future updates.

Lé Blade Runner;180760740 said:

Theres both a game + guitar bundle and a game +Guitar+drums+mic bundle available

both are valid for GCU with best buy if you have that

Top Bottom