• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 | Review Thread

ViciousDS

Banned
8's or higher from most outlets......but that 7 brings it to a solid 8.....still very, very nice

which means I'm good for my prediction so far lol

Nice. Looking at an average of about 8 it seems.

Interested to see how Live does. We might be seeing a proper resurgence of the plastic instrument genre.

Yaari

Anything above 8 is a surprise to me. I'm pumped for the game but the soundtrack and the lack of features should be critized heavily.

j-wood

As brought up in the reviews, the on disc songs are kind of week. Thing is, I was in college during my rock band hay days, so I didn't buy very much dlc. Are they putting all the old dlc up on the ps4 store? Or do i have to go power on my ps3 and use that store to buy the songs?

5amshift

Banned
It's crazy how media are still discussing importing tracks as it's a big selling point. Shit has been in Rock Band since Rock Band 3 or something..
It's like, should be expected at this point.

What else does this have that makes it getting these type of scores?

As brought up in the reviews, the on disc songs are kind of week. Thing is, I was in college during my rock band hay days, so I didn't buy very much dlc. Are they putting all the old dlc up on the ps4 store? Or do i have to go power on my ps3 and use that store to buy the songs?

They're putting most of the old DLC up on PS4, minus the delisted songs. Not all of it is up yet, though.

It's crazy how media are still discussing importing tracks as it's a big selling point. Shit has been in Rock Band since Rock Band 3 or something..

Fun gameplay?

Anything above 8 is a surprise to me. I'm pumped for the game but the soundtrack and the lack of features should be critized heavily.

I was 100% expecting this as well.

I guess good review scores will help sales and hopefully get the game back up to par with its predecessors quicker.

Its a huge selling point that some DLC that you bought 6ish years ago still carries over to a system that was non-existent at the time

I know some people are surprised, but to a massive majority of Rock Band players, online multiplayer and practice mode are negligible features that people never touched.

If I recall, Harmonix's survey found that something like 90-95% of all players never played online.

hodgy100

It's like, should be expected at this point.

bringing the DLC cross generation onto new platforms is a big deal and requires a huge amount of testing and legal work to make possible. when we all got ps4's / x1s we had to ditch all our old digital content. so it really is great when a company goes above and beyond to ensure the stuff we bought still works. I wouldnt be buying this game if it didnt.

Troy

Banned
I had no idea this was coming out this month.

Same. There's also a Guitar Hero game coming. If there's hype for these games, I haven't seen it. I used to be into them, but now my interest in owning plastic instruments is nil. Probably has something to do with being married and having almost no time to game in the same room with friends.

I expected 7 through 9 scores, and it seems to be going that way.
Not going to buy it since I already got many rhythm games I am playing, but seems like a good buy.

Edit: Solos sound neat.

Ridley327

I know some people are surprised, but to a massive majority of Rock Band players, online multiplayer and practice mode are negligible features that people never touched.

If I recall, Harmonix's survey found that something like 90-95% of all players never played online.

It still really sucks for the people that did play almost exclusively with out of country players, like myself.

T.O.P

Banned
Just waiting for the Drum Bundle to be available, good reviews so far

But i'm more intrigued in seeing how GHLive turns out tbh

McDougles

Considering Rock Band 4's competition is forgoing past DLC altogether, it's a serious discussion point.

Glad the reviews are good! The only thing holding me back is the fact that I played Rock Band on 360 and I won't be able to transfer my dlc over to ps4.

5amshift

Banned
I was told supplies for reviewers were limited, and pretty much only given to bigger named outlets. Expecting more reviews coming out by Thursday/Friday for people getting bundles tomorrow at retailers for reviews.

TBiddy

As a former Guitar Hero-addict, I'm having a very hard time getting hyped about this after reviewing the set-list.

So disappointing, but I guess it boils down to most of being available as DLC. But that shit's expensive, yo.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I just wish they had sold the game for super cheap or for free without any songs. I hate the track list, but have a ton of dlc I'd like to revisit on ps4 and I'm sure I'll want some future dlc too.

skynidas

Banned
it's a shame this is so expensive here in Europe compared to Guitar Hero Live which I kind of prefer their tracklist.

ViciousDS

Banned
it's a shame this is so expensive here in Europe compared to Guitar Hero Live which I kind of prefer their tracklist.

the on disc tracklist though can be made up by DLC......LOTS of DLC.

Only thing they are missing is shadow moses which guitar hero has and then I will be complete with what I wanted from guitar hero this year.

killroy87

Seems like a solid title, held back by lack of real innovations, and a couple visible blemishes of a smaller budget.

Curious to see how Guitar Hero does, as it's the one I've had my eye on.

This is reviewing exactly as I thought it would. Solid game, fantastic gameplay as ever, but no point at all upgrading if you've still got Rock Band 3 around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So no launch day fix for the DLC problem.

I'm not going to manually download a few hundred songs. Come on Harmonix.

hodgy100

This is reviewing exactly as I thought it would. Solid game, fantastic gameplay as ever, but no point at all upgrading if you've still got Rock Band 3 around.

it's worth upgrading if you want to get off your old system. which is why I'm doing it. trying to ween off my PS3.

So no launch day fix for the DLC problem.

I'm not going to manually download a few hundred songs. Come on Harmonix.

They've said it's a platform holder issue, it's not getting a "fix".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They've said it's a platform holder issue, it's not getting a "fix".
In the in game store, you'd think there'd be a way to just "download all" or at least list all the songs you own so that you can pick some to download or something.

I mean, either way, it shouldn't be on me to find all those tracks.

I've had a Band in a Box bundle preordered since it was announced in June. Felt like a bit of a leap of faith at the time since we didn't know everything that was or wasn't going to make it for launch. These reviews are looking good and I am hyped for tomorrow.

In the in game store, you'd think there'd be a way to just "download all" or at least list all the songs you own so that you can pick some to download or something.

Sounds like in the in game store that they are going to denote what you own and don't but you are going to still have to be responsible for redownloading everything on your own since there are no bulk downloads on PS4 or XB1.

hodgy100

I can imagine it being a performance thing. We know that MS and sony obfuscate who owns what to developers so i imagine they would have to query every song in their catalog against sony / ms's servers to see if you own it. doing that for 2000+ songs especially if there are multiple people doing it at once may prove to be slow. or even go against trc's as a couple of hundred people doing that at once could amount to an accidental DDOS :p

Top Bottom