• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

XShagrath

I'm entering a competition on Sunday here in Orlando. There's only a $5 entry fee, so we'll probably enter multiple times.

One of our songs will be Visions. Fuck the haters!

Xevren said:
There are certain video's that are distracting as hell, really hurts having a transparent fretboard on those.

It hurts having a transparent fretboard full stop. I hope RB3 comes with an option to ditch it.

I also hate the overdrive pattern that gets put on the fretboard. Let me change them, add stars, more sorting options and a classic career and RB3 will be perfect

Xevren

I'm with you Dave, I can't stand transparent fretboards. The OD design doesn't bother me though. I just wish Harmonix would get on board with the more options=good thing.

birdman

XShagrath said:
I'm entering a competition on Sunday here in Orlando. There's only a $5 entry fee, so we'll probably enter multiple times.

I hope you don't get scored on taste.

PacoDG

XShagrath said:

Otronicon !

Damn I gotta work on Sunday, id cheer.

PacoDG

XShagrath said:
It doesn't start until 8pm, so maybe you still have a chance to come cheer us on, or play against us.

I work from 6pm to 3am :\

I would enter, but it would only be a waste of my money anyways, I'm only good in my "inner circle" of friends (ie my and my two cousins..heh)

I was going to go tonight but woke up too late. I am going to watch that Halo 2 couples wedding tomorrow though :lol

Xevren said:
I'm with you Dave, I can't stand transparent fretboards. The OD design doesn't bother me though. I just wish Harmonix would get on board with the more options=good thing.

Most the time it is OK, but there are instances where it causes me problems.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just needed to pop in and say I'm very happy with next week's DLC. The Steve Miller pack, Belly, and Godsmack are all insta-buys for me. 5 songs is probably the most songs I've bought from one week outside of album weeks.

Varna

Roy Orbison pack is awesome stuff!

So I'm looking to buy a new guitar controller in the next few days since I need a spare and it's just time for an upgrade. Need some advice.

Is the strum bar on the RB2 guitar any different outside of being more sturdy? I've been having an issue with my fingers slipping lately on my RB1 controller.

Sp3eD said:
if they gave me Octivarium (the entire 24 minute song not the album) I would pay them whatever they wanted. That will sadly never happen though :(

Octavarium is their absolute worst album. Panic Attack being the only good thing about it. Train of Thought would be such a better choice. Or even Metropolis part 2.

M3wThr33

Banned
I just wish they'd start doing the DDR method of difficulty tweaks by having gem mods.

In The Groove was AWESOME for that. Boomerang was my favorite. Gems would go UP the screen before they came down, so it made a crazy two-way effect. Great for people to watch, but easy to read past.

alright I have a question involving scrolling speeds. maybe someone can answer it.

First off I'm finally starting to see how fucked up it is that you have to share scroll speeds with the lowest difficulty. Now all my friends at the least play hard but this still fucks me up on expert drums. Im wondering if I put hyperspeed on will that basically put the scroll speed to expert level?

Xevren

It will make it a little bit faster then what expert usually is. I play with my little brother who's on hard and I turn it on and it's a tad but slower then what it would be normally for me with it on. Since you don't play with HS normally I don't know how difficult it would be for you to adjust. Probably easier to play with it on then play with slower speeds and everything looking like a jumble of rectangles and yellow lines.

Ashour

fistfulofmetal said:
Octavarium is their absolute worst album. Panic Attack being the only good thing about it. Train of Thought would be such a better choice. Or even Metropolis part 2.

Oh I would pay gold for Train of Thoughts album, also Images and Words would be great but without Wait for Sleep. (Imagine playing Learning to Live on drums :D ).

Xevren said:
It will make it a little bit faster then what expert usually is. I play with my little brother who's on hard and I turn it on and it's a tad but slower then what it would be normally for me with it on. Since you don't play with HS normally I don't know how difficult it would be for you to adjust. Probably easier to play with it on then play with slower speeds and everything looking like a jumble of rectangles and yellow lines.

thanks. I'll give it a shot later today.

Plaguefox

M3wThr33 said:
Boomerang was my favorite. Gems would go UP the screen before they came down, so it made a crazy two-way effect. Great for people to watch, but easy to read past.
You're insane. Boomerang does not belong in any game except Zelda.

croddam

Unconfirmed Member
Just FYI fellow PS3 players Amazon has the basic Nyko Wireless guitar for 8 or 9 bucks for white/black. I bought one when I picked up RB1 and its decent as a backup and $8 isn't bad.
Here's the link to the VG DotD page(if anyone can post a direct link I'd appreciate it because this is ungodly long for an address for some reason)
http://tinyurl.com/96moay

XShagrath

Guitar Center is having a clearance sale this weekend, and they have the GH:WT guitar/game bundle on sale for $50 for any system. I've been really interested in picking up the new guitar, so this seemed like as good a price as I'd see anytime soon. I can probably flip the game for 20-30 bucks.

birdman

XShagrath said:
Guitar Center is having a clearance sale this weekend, and they have the GH:WT guitar/game bundle on sale for $50 for any system. I've been really interested in picking up the new guitar, so this seemed like as good a price as I'd see anytime soon. I can probably flip the game for 20-30 bucks.

Wow, something guitar related that's a deal during their clearance sale.

Belgand

croddam said:
Just FYI fellow PS3 players Amazon has the basic Nyko Wireless guitar for 8 or 9 bucks for white/black. I bought one when I picked up RB1 and its decent as a backup and $8 isn't bad.
Here's the link to the VG DotD page(if anyone can post a direct link I'd appreciate it because this is ungodly long for an address for some reason)
http://tinyurl.com/96moay

It's pretty terrible though. I mean, I absolutely hate mine. For $8, well... that's about what it's worth.

birdman

Interview with Rigopulos, talks about wanting to do a sequel to Amplitude:

Ars Technica: We spoke to someone else at Harmonix about Amplitude, and I believe Sony owns that property?

Rigopulos: They do, yeah.

Ars Technica: Has there been a conversation about bringing that game to the PlayStation Network? You've proven the formula, and you can say "From the people who brought you Rock Band."

Rigopulos: Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Ars Technica: It seems like it would be a mutually beneficial thing to do.

Rigopulos: I would love to. That game is still close to my heart. I love it. I'd love to do a sequel to Amplitude, actually. It's an issue of prioritization. It's challenging enough to keep the Rock Band train on the tracks. (Editors note: earlier that day, Rigopulos had announced that there would be no new Rock Band sequel in 2009, in order for Harmonix to focus fully on the Beatles title.) We've grown from about 80 or 90 people a couple years ago to more than 300 now, and managing that kind of growth takes focus.

For us, that lingering question of "what are we going to do about Amplitude" is still very much out there. I would love to come back and do it right for the PlayStation 3, for example.

Ars Technica: Has there been a conversation with Sony about that?

Rigopulos: Oh, yes. They... I think they recognize that the environment for that game is different now than it was six years ago when it was first released. I'd love to see us come back to it at some point.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/alex-rigopulos-interview.ars/1

birdman said:
With the near-perfection that RB2 has? I can wait for RB3.

People said the same about RB2. Sequels are awesome and a cheaper way of getting new music.

I don't care for Frequency too much, just because of the controls. I hate the Dualshock which doesn't help.

PedroRVD

RB2 with stars and a better sorting system would be near perfect. I can wait for a sequel that does that tough.

I would be crazy for RB3 if they announce clues for using the cymbals.

I have a (probably dumb) question, what is exactly...an "Harmonix band"? Harmonix owns them? they perform there? They have an association with that bands?

AMUSIX

PedroRVD said:
I have a (probably dumb) question, what is exactly...an "Harmonix band"? Harmonix owns them? they perform there? They have an association with that bands?
A lot of people at Harmonix are musicians (often they consider themselves to be first musicians, second game designers). Harmonix bands are their personal bands.

You guys may not think we need RB3 but there is still alot of work to be done IMO....

Stars
Separate Scrolling Speeds For Each instrument
100+ more amazing songs
4v4 Battle of the bands
More improved sorting
Jukebox Mode
Ability to have 2 singers in your band (male and female) (changes dynamically in BWT)
Cymbals Charted but not mandatory
Even more clothes and instruments
Make Guitar/Vox and legitimate combo (shared star power, ability to pick the combo just like any other instrument)
Make traditional career a option within BWT
Fix the fucking leaderboards so everything is instant
Different Breakneck speed options
Ability to set the band for Quickplay in Options
Get even more detailed and crazy with the animations and movements of the characters on stage
countdown screen after pause
coldplay

More over the top stuff:

RBTV (People love watching RB on youtube/streams why not have the ability to watch your friends or the top players play....sort of like a virtual audience)

Pack in a Bass Guitar in the Band kit if they do another set of RB3 instruments

Ability to send someone a song/pack/album by randomly generating a code when I buy the song and sending it to that persons GT or PSN ID. they redeem that code in store and download the song.

thats all I can think of right now. IMO there is still lots of improvement to be had in RB.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
BigBlackGamer said:
You guys may not think we need RB3 but there is still alot of work to be done IMO....

Stars
100+ more amazing songs
4v4 Battle of the bands
More improved sorting
Jukebox Mode
Ability to have 2 singers in your band (male and female) (changes dynamically in BWT)
Make Guitar/Vox and legitimate combo (shared star power, ability to pick the combo just like any other instrument)
Get even more detailed and crazy with the animations and movements of the characters on stage

More over the top stuff:

RBTV (People love watching RB on youtube/streams why not have the ability to watch your friends or the top players play....sort of like a virtual audience)

Ability to send someone a song/pack/album by randomly generating a code when I buy the song and sending it to that persons GT or PSN ID. they redeem that code in store and download the song.

thats all I can think of right now. IMO there is still lots of improvement to be had in RB.

Battery probably won't export to RB3 so RB3 is automatically inferior.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I doubt it. Metallica is a bunch of money whores and Bobby Kotick is the antichrist. Battery probably wouldn't make the cut.

Edit: And wow my grammar sucked in that last post.

Xevren

Some new animations for the zombies on stage! I hate that stupid little hop walk they do, in some songs its not something that they would do. Would like to see animations preset to certain genre's because in some songs the way they act just doesn't seem right. If they're playing some metal I want to see them really get into it! I'd like to see some straps on the guitars too, it looks so tacky the way it is now. I'm probably being picky though.

I hope Battery doesn't cross over, I hate that damn song. It's not fun to play, and it's not fun to listen to. For me anyway :p

It would make sense that HMX would cover all there bases for RB2 unlike RB1. I don't see why they wouldn't have it in there contract that any song used in RB2 can be used in the RB platform forever.

I like your ideas. RB2 is a huge improvement over RB1 and there's no reason to think RB3 wouldn't be. I think it's a disservice to the genre to relegate it to new songs just being enough.

Magik

BigBlackGamer said:

Stars
100+ more amazing songs
4v4 Battle of the bands
More improved sorting
Jukebox Mode
coldplay

More over the top stuff:

Your list is a good start, but there is a lot more they can do to improve on RB2 to make RB3 a true sequel.

The amount of stuff I can think of right now would be way to much for a single post to hold. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom