• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Paper Shotgun's GOTY 2013 [John Walker responds to your deep concerns]

Wensih

Not played gone home yet, but to be fair Kentucky route zero is longer than 2 hours in terms of play time, plus 3 more episodes to come.

Because it's not like we need better writing in games......oh no wait we totally do

I don't give broken games GotY awards, even if the writing is good.

Wensih

Brothers is more like 3+ hours, Proteus is fewer than 2 for a single run-through.

Yeah, it's not exactly 2 hours, but it's in the time range he was mentioning. I think the point is that there both extremely short which isn't a negative to me, but something that should be pointed out.

pelican

An uncompleted episodic game according to RPS is the best example of PC gaming during the past 12 months? Yeah...right. This judgement call is yet another stark reminder why I do not venture to the site. A shame as I would like to see more PC orientated sites.

What about next year?

A Steam Early Release title which has a cool initial level?

p.s. Should point out that I have played Kentucky.

puzl

Banned
When a mediocre episodic point and click game, which hasn't even released half of it's intended gameplay gets GOTY, you know it's been a poor year for PC exclusives.

inm8num2

When a mediocre episodic point and click game, which hasn't even released half of it's intended gameplay gets GOTY, you know it's been a poor year for PC exclusives.

You didn't read the article or John's clarifications, I take it?

A Steam Early Release title which has a cool initial level?

Well, if that level is so extremely cool that it will leave them with the feeling that that level was the best thing they played that year, why not?

I don't agree with them about the GOTY award either, but it's not like they haven't thought this through. And as long as they actually do think it through, and can argue for why this game is their game of the year, I will have confidence in them and continue to read what they write.

If anything, they have made me think about the game, and made me want to replay the release episodes.

puzl

Banned
You didn't read the article or John's clarifications, I take it?

Yes, I read the article (and more importantly, bought and played the game)

KRZ is an incredibly dull point and click game, let alone GOTY across all genres for the PC, at least for me. I genuinely found myself bored to tears towards the end of Episode 1, and that was only after around 2 hours of gameplay. The characters were uninteresting, the plot itself was thin to the point of non-existence, and the "side" bits when driving around did absolutely nothing for me.

The thing is, I'm a big fan of the genre and I've been playing point and click (and text adventures for that matter) since 1988. I like to think I'm pretty well versed with the genre and if you compare it to the old classics, it just doesn't hold a light to them. I realise they're going for that whole "ambient" game/not game experience, but like Dear Esther, I just can't dedicate time to these kind of games and enjoy them. It's simply not why I play video games.

Oh and we haven't had a new episode in 7 months.

RPS are well within their right to call whatever game they like their favourite of the year, but as a predominantly PC gamer, I think it's been a pretty awful year for PC exclusives.

Lingitiz

RPS are well within their right to call whatever game they like their favourite of the year, but as a predominantly PC gamer, I think it's been a pretty awful year for PC exclusives.

Absolutely not true. I guess if you were banking on the likes of X Rebirth and Simcity, it's been disappointing, but there's but a ton of great exclusive games released that dwarfs any other platform (3DS excluded). The good thing about the PC space is that there are a ton of releases almost weekly. While there's bound to be a bunch of stinkers and disappointments, there will always been some that are great as well.

I look at my top list this year and I'm surprised by how many games I really enjoyed. The Swapper, EU4, PoE, Papers Please, Volgarr, Gone Home, Starbound...there's just a lot to go around if you pay attention.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Don't really see an issue with this list. It's showcasing a great selection of lesser-known and fantastic PC games.

Also throwing it out there that I love RPS, I learn about a LOT of games I probably never would otherwise without reading them.

Opiate

Because the PC has such a widely varied library, the platform is bound to have a "bad year" for someone. The social gamers might have a great year while the single player focused gamers have a softer one. The casual games may hit a lull while Steam fires on all cylinders. Or, as in this case, the AAA selection was weak but the indie selection was strong.

While it's certainly possible that every genre, every developer type, every design philosophy and every distribution model might be firing on all cylinders all at once, random fluctuation would suggest that isn't common. Of course, when F2P browser games hit a creative lull I don't think GAF notices much, as that sort of game is typically outside the scope of the forum.

spekkeh

Banned
To be fair, I can't think of a single great stealth game released after Thief 2. Everything I've played pales in comparison.

Thanks for the gif. My film nerd self wonders if someone will ever use the gif in the context it's presented in the film (Kane clapping while no one else does, his rage growing as he realizes no one cares what his wife has to sing, because she's awful, and this reflects poorly on him), but, well, that's just the film nerd self who was thinking about it when I wanted to post it for someone else earlier.

Shadow Warrior's been on a daily. It hits $10 pretty regularly. When you say my praise, do you mean the ~3,000 words or so I blogged about it, or just what I posted here? (I was recently made aware some people actually read my blog)

When I look at film critic GOTY lists, they're so much more varied and diverse than game lists (they're also generally better and more well thought-out, because most game journalists are kinda shit at any kind of meaningful analysis, but I digress). I often come away from them wanting to watch a lot of movies I missed out on, usually due to lack of interest/awareness. That, to me, is what these lists are all about.

So I always kinda find myself puzzled when someone's like 'this list is worthless 'cause I don't know these games.'

Like... yeah. That's the point. What worth does the list have if you've played all the games on them? Some random person is ranking games in a way that may or may not align with what you like. Surely someone going "this THING you DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT is REALLY COOL and I think YOU SHOULD TRY IT" is more valuable ("oh, I have just found something NEW to LOVE!") than "someone is putting these things I already love/hate/don't care about in an ordered list"?

I REALLY wish I had more than enough money to justify buying the games on the list, but the truth is that my job isn't letting us work (or get paid) until January 20th or so, so money's SUPER TIGHT and I can't justify more than the ~$20 I spent on games this month. I'd love to check out KRZ and AC4, but I just can't. :|
See, now I want to read your blog I missed out on.

Sdoots

I love that John came in here and just went "Hey, calm the hell down."
He did it in an exceptionally english manner, of course, but he still did it.

I love that John came in here and just went "Hey, calm the hell down."
He did it in an exceptionally english manner, of course, but he still did it.

I don't like that he did that. This whole hipster/agenda thing that was going before that was absolutely hillarious to read, and it just stopped after Johns post.

To pretty much say what posters here had already mentioned.
Magnanimous

Exactly.

I have to say the list didn't rile me up, becuase it wasn't for me - PC games I play are mostly cool indie ones on Steam. The insinuation everyone on GAF has the same opinion is what royally fucked me off.

He didn't need to post here or on Twitter, as he admits to knowing what it feels like; being frustrated by a list that doesn't include your favourite games. It was never going to be received well. It didn't require any acknowledgement.

That's frustrating. Don't address one audience in such certain terms.

Sdoots

I don't like that he did that. This whole hipster/agenda thing that was going before that was absolutely hillarious to read, and it just stopped after Johns post.

I see enough of that stuff from some of the people on my Steam friends, but I can get behind your reasoning there.

Jaxter09

It is really saddening reading this thread, although it is telling of the current state of games journalism that people feel lost and confused when a GOTY list isn't packed to the brim with instantly recognizable big budget games. I feel that these lists should exist so that people can discover games which otherwise fly under the radar.

As it stands, GOTY lists seem to exist so publishers can release a GOTY edition. It would be interesting to see the correlation between marketing budgets and the amount of nominations a game receives.

Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to go buy an iPhone and a Macbook Air then sit around drinking Starbucks and telling people about how shitty big corporations are.

I'm going to get in my car, drive the shop and buy some bread. Will probably be called a hipster at least twice, god knows what that word even means anymore.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
One one hand, Spelunky and Gone Home are remarkable experiences. So I love this list.

On the other hand Proteus drove me to murderous rage. So I disagree with this list.

Yes, it has an ending.

While you could theoretically wander for longer, it takes about 30-40 minutes to complete the game.

Playing Proteus for more than 10 minutes is feat itself. Such nonsense. If that's all people want in a game, I could pull all of the gameplay systems out of what we are toiling away at and just release empty crap instead!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Impossible. Indifference or boredom I can see. Rage? No way.

It's so very off topic, but yes, actually it was probably the first game to piss me off by its very existence on the same planet I draw breath on.

...trees had very little to do with it though.

Still, RPS is a site that is way, way more hit than miss and pretty much the only one I go to to discover games outside the norm. For instance, I had never heard of Kentucky Route Zero before this thread and I'm definitely going to check it out.

GoaThief

I completely agree with the concept of voting for whatever gameplay experience you enjoyed the most regardless of time spent playing, but my reservations stem from the unsaid expectation that an unfinished product will continue to be of the same quality or indeed even be finished. Price would also factor in as are you paying a reduced figure for the experience that's available right now or the full whack when the above becomes extremely relevant?

Comments like the following encapsulate the situation nicely;

I totally support this choice. It was my favorite PC game in forever. Well, it will be if they ever frickin' finish it sheesh

I guess price does not factor at all for their choice as RPS probably did not pay for the game. Would be a good thing to know.

With all of that said I haven't played KR0 nor looked at the cost so I could be a fair bit off base. I haven't seen any comments indicating it is dirt cheap however so I am working on the assumption it isn't a bargainous prospect. I also did not like RPS' antagonistic comments either, discussing their list and disagreeing is hardly hate and I'd expect much better from a professional outlet.

Besides, we all know The Stanley Parable was the best on that list, right? :p

I'm just asking why was Dota 2 considered under the year 2012 rather than 2013 and what does it mean for Alpha\Early Access games.

It means that games no longer necessarily have clearly defined "release" dates in today's world, so they consider games at the time they happen to play them (and they feel sufficiently "complete.") In the same way, RPS gave Minecraft their GOTY in 2010 (when it took off and first became a cultural phenomenon, not in 2009 (when it saw alpha release) or 2011 (when it saw final release.)

Because the PC has such a widely varied library, the platform is bound to have a "bad year" for someone.

That's true, although I think across a pretty wide range of areas PC gaming did very well this year: continued resurgences in strategy games, adventure games, and platformers; the emergence of the rogue-like-lite as a new prominent genre; one of the best and most fully-realized batches of art games we've seen yet; an increasingly strong set of significant (and well-built) console ports; a wider range of casual and F2P titles; what looks like the start of a new midrange for single-player FPSes.

Saty

It means that games no longer necessarily have clearly defined "release" dates in today's world, so they consider games at the time they happen to play them (and they feel sufficiently "complete.") In the same way, RPS gave Minecraft their GOTY in 2010 (when it took off and first became a cultural phenomenon, not in 2009 (when it saw alpha release) or 2011 (when it saw final release.)
But there has to be consideration for the developer's intentions and targets for the shape of the game. You have early access games that advise most people not to get it and wait for the 'real' 1.0 release. They are WIP products and therefore better left out of such discussions. I doubt if the public had access to book's manuscripts that they would be eligible for 'best book' if the first intended, regular, wide-spread release was a year after.

For all we know entire feature in Early Access games can be no longer there once the games hits 1.0 just as manuscripts can have different sentence structures and the like.

Wensih

We would, if we liked it enough.

Meanwhile, KRZ isn't broken.

JW, RPS Ed

I'm not saying KRZ is broken; I haven't played it, and I won't until it's fully released, but I am saying TWD is from my experience -- trying to play it 4 times and getting save corruptions at episode 3 each time -- broken.

Top Bottom