• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
i just hide my rank nowadays. if they see rocketeer and im playing bad "lol rocketeer you should be better".

I turn it off on ps4 because I only play ps4 when I'm tired/basically shitpost tier gameplay (my ranks like low diamond, so I just play it hoping I'll wake up, am probably an awful person on 2hr of sleep :/)

PC? Nah we keep that GC title on, take all the 'wow you're the real GC in the room' and the 'who'd you pay for the title you boosted animal', cause I just find it amusing.

Inb4 sleep more if you wanna play rl

Soulflarz

Banned
-work on mechanical skill a ton
I know a bunch of pros say it's not worth it, but that's because they have the basic required skill down already. If you can't flick, powershot, or aerial with ease, you're extremely limited on tools in certain situations.

-work on analyzing rotation mistakes to fix them and never do them again

thankfully, these 'basics' never really leave as long as you play regularly.

I use this loadout on Octane but it looks so damn good on an S-Type. I don't know why I ignored Biomass for so long but if you want a black secondary color it's great.

Whew.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can't stay in champ in 2s atm

wew

beat amoney and a few SoaR guys on the way though, my teammates were much better than me I feel like though so

(then again I feel that at any level as long as they aren't notably doing something wrong)

VLiberty

ok i got what's up with solo 3s: matchmaking is total crap

just lost yet another match, this time I got paired with a fucking SEMI PRO
like wtf. the only times this guy managed to touch the ball was for the bad, as he either scored an o.g or assist'd an opponent

Hilti92

Are crates worth stuff to People? I never, ever used the trading or customization too much so don't quite know about them. I have a Turbo crate, 3 champion 4 crates, 5 champion 3 crates, 7 champion 2 crates and 6 champion 1s.

Are crates worth stuff to People? I never, ever used the trading or customization too much so don't quite know about them. I have a Turbo crate, 3 champion 4 crates, 5 champion 3 crates, 7 champion 2 crates and 6 champion 1s.

Turbo is still worth almost a key the rest much less. It's best to trade them when they are new. If you are on xbox they have more value since you can't trade keys.

Should be able to get 3 keys worth out of them on PC, but turbos are becoming a harder sell slowly now. Might take a little while for someone to bite on keys though so if you're just after items you're more likely to find a trade sooner.

General rule of thumb is 1 key for turbo atm, but barely now. Other crates is basically a 10:1 value in keys. I've no idea the values on other platforms though.

Machina

Banned
Can I ask a question: If I score over 1000 points individually in ranked doubles, while my teammate scores less than 500, and we lose in extra time, why the fuck do I get demoted a division?

Get'sMad

ok i got what's up with solo 3s: matchmaking is total crap

just lost yet another match, this time I got paired with a fucking SEMI PRO
like wtf. the only times this guy managed to touch the ball was for the bad, as he either scored an o.g or assist'd an opponent

Yeah...so like I've barely played ranked this season at all (I mostly play casual....just played enough to get to bronze 3 in doubles and standard lol) and I've been constantly paired with grand champions and teams of dudes stringing together 3 aerial passes together for goals in casual play. its fuckin absurd.

edit: your complaint is the opposite of mine! I almost wish I was getting those pairings at this point.

AcridMeat

Banned
The matchmaking is still figuring itself out for me I think. I can beat a team of diamonds while in plat but then next game be against a gold and plat.

Bollocks

Did my standard games and came in at platinum 2, I'll take that.
Matchmaking is much better this season, granted, before the skill adjustment it was hit and miss but now it is pretty consistent.

I really should play more unranked to elevate my skills, wall clears are pretty ok now but I never follow up on them in fear of whiffing and taking myself out of the game.

Also finally hit a long range goal where I had enough time to flip on my back and rotate for the replay lol.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can I ask a question: If I score over 1000 points individually in ranked doubles, while my teammate scores less than 500, and we lose in extra time, why the fuck do I get demoted a division?

To expand on the previous remark- people say points don't mean much because rotation+positioning is everything. You can ballchase and get the most points on a team always, but your hits won't really help. Likewise, the guy sitting as back man but can't go up for a relatively easy goal cause the two people who are up refuse to rotate off it instead of going for ridiculous shots is going to have ~200 points at the end of the game. This is why non mechanical players who are well known lose plenty of solo standard matches- they aren't the best at solo goal plays yet they can't safely approach the ball at the moment.

Statistically, if you're above your current rank, there's a 2/3 chance that the 'worst' guy in the room will not be on your team, so it'll all even out to you ranking up in the end ^^

Ranked would turn into Greed, which is, as Shogun put it: "Rules are simple, the lowest scoring player on blue and the lowest scoring player on orange are eliminated from the competition.", in which people desperately try to steal goals or go for nonsensical hits to gain more points. Hilariously fun mode, but yeah, you get the point.

5500 centred balls for 850 assists. That just realllly isn't good enough, RL community.
"Centered ball" says nothing about the quality of the pass, let alone the opposition's position. If anything that ratio will keep doing down as you progress, you have to be very picky with the crosses you go for.

Soulflarz

Banned
"Centered ball" says nothing about the quality of the pass, let alone the opposition's position. If anything that ratio will keep doing down as you progress, you have to be very picky with the crosses you go for.

Especially once your opponent learns how to judge distance and doesn't hesitate to make a good choice if he's closer.
Going on a centered ball that stayed against the wall in 2s is worthless if their goalie is properly positioned and is the quickest way to get counterscored on in the world. (or create a 1v3 breakaway in 3s)

Legit easiest way to clear low ranks is to bait idiots into thinking you're going to flub and try to score an impossible goal and then just lazily walk it into their goal in retaliation.

edit: hell, at higher level (objectively, Ik I'm still shit XP) corner passes that just go around the corner have to do something amazing to go in, it's usually easier to just slam it hard against the center wall and hope it's hard for your opponent to read- getting through 2 defenders is hell from the corner.

Thanks! Feels gooood.
Congrats to you and Laz! Wow, you guys are like real pros now. The hard work has paid off.

You should post sometime about the expectations and your routines. I understand you likely can't share any contractual stuff, but it would be cool to hear generally what your week is like (or will be like) and what Nexus expects from you.

Doesn't go by skill or anything but i'm still proud of this cause it took me so damn long.

sOUNrJ6.png

Also, what the passer does after making the pass is a huge factor. If they immediately turn tail and head back on D then maybe I will go for a 50/50 with the goalie on a not so great pass. If they immediately head to demo / bump the goalie I might push in a little more than I normally would on a so-so pass.

On flipside, if it's a great pass but I seem teammate stuck / flopping around somewhere, or just hanging out on back wall -- if they aren't rotating back to cover while I go for the pass -- then I might not go for a really good pass. Which will piss them off. But if I hit the cross bar and the ball bounces out to mid it's a breakaway for the other team.

And then there is my favorite. Teammate makes a shitty pass you simply can't go for. Defender whiffs / barely touches the ball and it is just sitting in front of the net with no one to tap it in, and they give you shit about not being there. Hindsight is always 20/20 :)

ADDING: in defense of OP bringing up poor assists to centered balls ratio -- there are a TON of easy goals on great passes that are missed, especially at lower levels where people can't shoot and then at higher levels when people can actually defend. But at end of day it's still a flawed stat comparison for reasons already mentioned.

Also, what the passer does after making the pass is a huge factor. If they immediately turn tail and head back on D then maybe I will go for a 50/50 with the goalie on a not so great pass. If they immediately head to demo / bump the goalie I might push in a little more than I normally would on a so-so pass.

On flipside, if it's a great pass but I seem teammate stuck / flopping around somewhere, or just hanging out on back wall -- if they aren't rotating back to cover while I go for the pass -- then I might not go for a really good pass. Which will piss them off. But if I hit the cross bar and the ball bounces out to mid it's a breakaway for the other team.

And then there is my favorite. Teammate makes a shitty pass you simply can't go for. Defender whiffs / barely touches the ball and it is just sitting in front of the net with no one to tap it in, and they give you shit about not being there. Hindsight is always 20/20 :)

ADDING: in defense of OP bringing up poor assists to centered balls ratio -- there are a TON of easy goals on great passes that are missed, especially at lower levels where people can't shoot and then at higher levels when people can actually defend. But at end of day it's still a flawed stat comparison for reasons already mentioned.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. I also love when you solo queue and get spammed with "Take the Shot!" every time your tm hits a cross, regardless of the quality of the pass, positioning of the other players, etc. Then when you aren't there because you're trying to play smart defense you get "Wow! Wow! Wow!"

"Take the Shot!" is probably my least favorite chat. It only makes sense on kickoff and maybe 1% of the time otherwise when a ball is slowly rolling and both you and your tm have time and a play on the ball. By the time you've played the game for ~1,000 hours you probably have a decent idea of which shots to go for, haha.

I don't even have "Take the shot" on my team chat anymore. It's too annoying. I have "Go for it," but I never use it. The only time I might use it, it's probably too late. Really, the only team chat option you need is "I got it" and maybe "Need boost." Though I have "Incoming" set and could use that more often as a warning to teammates rotating back (and probably hunting for boost) that the ball's coming their way.

I've seen people put some of the other types of chats in their team chat options for more private exchanges. Since I'm on Quick Chat Only, I think I might do the same.

Seriously, how is voice chat still choppy and shitty in Rocket League?
Seems to be a common problem, yet they don't even address it.
Is it just shitty for some players, since I haven't seen it discussed here?

Soulflarz

Banned
It's universally agreed upon to not use voice chat

edit: wait you got Wildscion as a sub? Damn, nice.

edit edit: yeah take the shot is worthless because when you spam it either A) he's fundamentally doesn't understand he has to charge B) he can't for some reason
and his hesitation leads to you forcing him to get flicked over because he's in no mans land the entire time he's charging cause you refused to let him attempt a far back save by spamming take the shot.

I really only use it on my idc account on ps4 but I'm an ass there so rip

Pepiope

Seriously, how is voice chat still choppy and shitty in Rocket League?
Seems to be a common problem, yet they don't even address it.
Is it just shitty for some players, since I haven't seen it discussed here?
No one uses it, so they haven't touched it.

It's universally agreed upon to not use voice chat

edit: wait you got Wildscion as a sub? Damn, nice.
We have a pretty strong roster. King Wizard and WildScion are both capable of stepping in whenever.

get diamond 1 after finishing placements in solo 3s
lose 2 divisions each loss
eventually drop down to platinum 3
y even place me in diamond 1

do standard 3s
lose once, division down
win 3 in a row, no division up

halp

i use voice chat to say "good luck, have fun" before the match starts

usually met with "shutup faggot" or something else. i continue to use it from then on

Might not be much compared to you guys , but finally got a platinum! Super pumped. Playing standard exclusively with randoms can be very anger inducing.

Soulflarz

Banned
Maaan
going super fast bodied low ranks

slowing down and actually using my brain again bodies midranks now :^)

7-3 in 1s since I started using my brain, already back to where I was with input lag (diamond 1)

curious where I'll stop lmao, hopefully mid/high diamond considering I was never good at 1s

I don't get people. Guy trying to sell white endo. I have what he's asking and add him on Steam. He declines the FR. Later he posts the item again and I try send the FR again but I've been blocked... why even post the trade?

I don't get people. Guy trying to sell white endo. I have what he's asking and add him on Steam. He declines the FR. Later he posts the item again and I try send the FR again but I've been blocked... why even post the trade?
I know for the White Zombas some guys raise the prices by posting adds for expensive prices when they have no intention to sell just to make people think that is what their value is.

Top Bottom