• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

TheKeyPit

Banned
Party Matchmaking Update

"Instead of averaging each player’s skill together in a Party, Party Skill is now based on the highest-skilled player in the group "

Oh boy, Casual could become less fun with some of my friends.

Edit:
Competitive Restriction
Ok.

•When skill ratings are updated after a match, the new Party Skill rating will be used to prevent players from ranking up faster by teaming up with lower-ranked friends

It was already a pain in the ass to rank up and now it will be even worse.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this. Some things sound pretty good in theory, but I'll have to see how this will work out.

whyyyyy. That just assumes all pro and semi are just smurfs, basically. My friends that don't even have 10 hours played will get destroyed if we play together now.
That's what casual is for. The way it worked before the highest ranked player just carried and destroyed the other team.

FANTASTIC news. This is even better than the originally planned tier restriction (although according to notes they are also cracking down on this as well!) Friends of different skills can still play together (most common complaint of tier restriction) but now MMR will be fairly calculated, which should put a major dent in boosting / smurfing.

Bravo, Psyonix!

And now we get a team of 1 Rising Star, 1 Prospect Elite and 1 Challenger 2 getting their ass kicked by 3 Rising Stars.
For high level okay it's better than the alternative. I got a friend I can't play ranked with anymore because of this but I'm okay with it. We would never lose because of him stomping everyone we played against single handidly. Just wasn't fair to the other team and honestly not very fun for me.

Clydefrog

For high level okay it's better than the alternative. I got a friend I can't play ranked with anymore because of this but I'm okay with it. We would never lose because of him stomping everyone we played against single handidly. Just wasn't fair to the other team and honestly not very fun for me.

Thanks for the compliment, man

And now we get a team of 1 Rising Star, 1 Prospect Elite and 1 Challenger 2 getting their ass kicked by 3 Rising Stars.

As they should.

And you *should* see a lot less unbalanced teams after update (outside of super high ranks) as one of the major reasons for them was unbalanced parties due to smurfing / boosting. With no MMR loophole / advantage, in addition to Psyonix monitoring % of matches and deranking repeat offenders, it's gonna be way too risky to smurf / boost. This is a good thing as it should mean more balanced matches / less blowouts / more fun for all involved.

I do feel bad for legit unbalanced teams of friends, but at end of day it was still boosting due to MMR loophole, and they can still play casual (or just risk losing more points).

Unicorn

Man, I shot up through doubles ranked just now. The winning streak bonus is really nice when I was placed in low Prospect. Got into challenger I Div2 now. Game went into overtime and I whiffed an unexpected defense and lost.

^^^^ small sample size but so far much easier to rank up in doubles. Usually I face a high / low party every 2 or 3 games. Not all smurfs but a lot of them were. I don't have any delusions of grandeur BUT shooting star / all star might be doable this season now :D

rafaelr

one thing i don´t quite understand is how uneven parties rank up down now.
c1, c2, c3 win vs. c3, c3, c3 for example. do c1,c2 get more points for beating c3?

also, if a p2 and a c3 player party up now and get constantly matched vs. c3 and lose, the c3 will probably start to derank. if they keep playing and deranking, the former c3 player will get to a rank that he shouldn´t be according to his actual skill?

anyways, curious to see how this all plays out.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^
•A Grand Champion player and an Unranked player party up. Previously, they would have matched as Rising Star, and the Grand Champion could earn skill rating despite playing lower-ranked players. This pairing will now match as Grand Champion. And, more importantly, that Grand Champion player will earn the same skill rating as a party of two Grand Champions would - not the skewed gains seen on the live servers. And their opponents will gain or lose the same rating as they would against two Grand Champions.

Edit:
Take my example: Team A has 1 Rising Star, 1 Prospect Elite and 1 Challenger 2; Team B has 2 Challenger 3 and 1 Challenger Elite.
If Team B wins against Team A they gain the same rating as they would against 3 Rising Stars.
If Team A wins against Team B they gain the same rating as they would against 3 Challlenger Elite.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
sure does suck playing with shittier friends now. we lost like 8/10 matches. :|

Not to be a dick but good. Before you guys were getting soft tossed wins because of what is essentially smurfing. Ive gone from challenger 1 to challenger elite since the fix.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
do you play with a group of friends or solo?

I play solo when I'm playing competitively. If I'm playing with friends I play unranked. Why should it matter? Competition shouldn't be skewed the way it was due to smurfing. Based on your friend being lower than you, you were getting lousy players to roll over, all your friend needed to do was be competent.

I play solo when I'm playing competitively. If I'm playing with friends I play unranked. Why should it matter? Competition shouldn't be skewed the way it was due to smurfing. Based on your friend being lower than you, you were getting lousy players to roll over, all your friend needed to do was be competent.

huh if only there was a solo comp queue.. now 3's and solo 3's are basically the same thing?

"why should it matter?" unranked isn't competitive at all - every time people quit throughout the match. and it wasn't smurfing - smurfing is playing at a rank which isn't indicative of your actual rank, ironically what will happen to my rank after the numerous losses.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
huh if only there was a solo comp queue.. now 3's and solo 3's are basically the same thing?

"why should it matter?" unranked isn't competitive at all - every time people quit throughout the match. and it wasn't smurfing - smurfing is playing at a rank which isn't indicative of your actual rank, ironically what will happen to my rank after the numerous losses.

It is smurfing for the exact reason I just told you. When you play with somebody who is a lower rank, then you will always be head and shoulders above your competition. If you're worried about your rank and your friends drag you down, that stinks, I'm sorry, but at the same time, your rank is based more on the weaker competition you were often placed against.

It is smurfing for the exact reason I just told you. When you play with somebody who is a lower rank, then you will always be head and shoulders above your competition. If you're worried about your rank and your friends drag you down, that stinks, I'm sorry, but at the same time, your rank is based more on the weaker competition you were often placed against.

team ranks weren't a factor?

this could be solved with a solo queue vs a team only queue.

Ran rp

just got the hearts trail. didn't know some of these items are supposed to be very rare. I guess that lightning trail is another one?

Yep, I made the mistake of trading a bunch of items in to get a few very rare items--to only get them again in drops. Best to wait until player trading is implemented, then we can trade our duplicates with others to get what we really want (painted rims!).

The hearts trail is adorable (my daughter wants it as well as my unicorn horn and one of my tiaras), but I'm using the lightning trail after using the blue ion trail since pretty much launch (probably because it reminds me of Tron). Very happy with the lightning trail. Love how it visually crackles around the back of the car and wheels when not in use.

Hasney

All I want is a heart and a toon boost to complete my very rare set. I have 7 lightning and 5 ice right now.

I've had better luck with Overwatch legendaries

Yep, I made the mistake of trading a bunch of items in to get a few very rare items--to only get them again in drops. Best to wait until player trading is implemented, then we can trade our duplicates with others to get what we really want (painted rims!).

The hearts trail is adorable (my daughter wants it as well as my unicorn horn and one of my tiaras), but I'm using the lightning trail after using the blue ion trail since pretty much launch (probably because it reminds me of Tron). Very happy with the lightning trail. Love how it visually crackles around the back of the car and wheels when not in use.

HAMMER OF THOR COMIN' THRU!

CHOOM! CHOOM!!!

These will be on the auction block the second trading goes live.

mt3a6JP.png

Smurfing is playing amongst ranks lower than your actual rank.

The change actually stops smurfing. It's the opposite of it.

All I want is a heart and a toon boost to complete my very rare set. I have 7 lightning and 5 ice right now.

I've had better luck with Overwatch legendaries

I'm the opposite, hearts and toons, nothing else.

TheKeyPit

Banned
After three days of playing Rainbow Six Siege I got back to Rocket League. It's like playing this for the first time ever. Controls feel so strange.

A bunch of the popular RL personalities just found out what the update is about and are going crazy on twitter. Flipping out, epic, you won't see it coming etc. What can it be....

Clydefrog

A bunch of the popular RL personalities just found out what the update is about and are going crazy on twitter. Flipping out, epic, you won't see it coming etc. What can it be....

RPG elements introduced. First you choose your class: warrior, wizard, rogue, or cleric. At each level up, you can add points to various attributes like STR, SPD, INT. At every 5 levels, you get to choose a skill from your skill tree. They also introduce a 40 hour single player campaign.

RPG elements introduced. First you choose your class: warrior, wizard, rogue, or cleric. At each level up, you can add points to various attributes like STR, SPD, INT. At every 5 levels, you get to choose a skill from your skill tree. They also introduce a 40 hour single player campaign.
revEvvO.gif

Hasney

PSY・S;212603604 said:
too cynical to believe in the hype of gaming personalities

Believe in Hasney.

I mean, nothing to do with the Rocket League finals, but believe anyway.

Top Bottom