• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017

MisterR

It's like you're set on "search and destroy" when people say it'll be good on a portable. 😂

It's like you and others are not just happy to have games ported to the Switch, you need some kind of pat on the back and some kind of recognition that this somehow will be the best version because it's portable. It's fine if you feel that way. Just don't expect everybody to bend over backwards to tell you it's the best version to make you feel good.

Who even asked for this?

About LA Noire, I was very hyped during it's launch. Pre-ordered it, got it day 1. Then was so disappointed. The much touted facial expressions looked hilarious. They overdid it.

i didn't ask for it, but I'm down for replaying this game on my portable Switch.

I was always under the impression that the game was really mediocre, but it having 89 @ MC is a real suprise to me.

It's got fantastic atmosphere but the storytelling and most importantly the interrogation stuff is totally broken and takes you completely out of the game and is just frustratingly bad. Will be interesting to see how critics respond to the remaster if none of those things are fixed, now that the sheen of the atmosphere and fancy facial tech has worn off. Wouldn't be surprised if scores are far lower this time around.

pvpness

Hahaha, no. No Rockstar. Fool me once...

Though I am surprised to see this game get a remake and doubly surprised to see that remake land on Switch! Hope it does well enough for them to port something fun next time.

It's like you and others are not just happy to have games ported to the Switch, you need some kind of pat on the back and some kind of recognition that this somehow will be the best version because it's portable. It's fine if you feel that way. Just don't expect everybody to bend over backwards to tell you it's the best version to make you feel good.

lol I'm not even getting this game. It was boring as hell and I couldn't finish the game. I've read the whole topic and noticed that poster getting on people who said that.

Keinning

It's like you're set on "search and destroy" when people say it'll be good on a portable. ��

Not really

i just don't think the issues with the open world in LA Noire would be magically fixed just because you now can be bored on the go. it really felt like an afterthought and just letting your partner drive you everywhere is the best way to enjoy the game IMO. And unlike some here i actually really enjoyed LA Noire, warts and all, but i just can't defend the open world and sprinkling more collectibles around won't fix it.

I've read the whole topic and noticed that poster getting on people who said that.

yes, i had two whole posts about it and one was saying i just found it funny and had no issue with it
someone call the mods, i'm such a bully

I have fond memories of the game, was meaning to replay it on PS3. Now looking forward to it on PS4. Sad that the VR cases won't be coming to PSVR.

atr0cious

If calling it the definitive edition on the Switch makes you feel better man then you call it that. You do you.
So a 4k version of D4 for the XBX would be definitive over the original with Kinect controls? Some folks want more to a game than just looking at it. I've got the pc version if I wanted to stare at something. If the gyro controls and hd rumble are fleshed out, i don't see the issue with calling it definitive. Adding portability to it is the cherry on top.

MisterR

lol I'm not even getting this game. It was boring as hell and I couldn't finish the game. I've read the whole topic and noticed that poster getting on people who said that.

You're always first in line if you feel someone is slighting the Switch in any way.

Kyzer

Banned
Lol

Imagine being this salty about people enjoying video games on the go

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so what.. there's like one other person in here besides me happy about this?? lol.... sigh...

god damn Rockstar... way to leave PSVR users out in the cold :_( I would kill to play the VIVE version without having to invest in another VR platform..

sadly I see myself passing on the Switch version.. I'll play through a third time on PS4... can't see myself doing a 4th time any time soon.

thenameDS

I actually enjoyed it when I played it back on the 360, willl definitely buy it to play one the One X. Just not day one.

ffvorax

VR :)
No PSVR :(

Liked the game, if PSVR was supported I for sure would have double dipped it, but in this case no...
Rockstar just don't want my money with any of their games lol

It won't
Portable does nothing to make empty, boring (but pretty) open world environments better, it's not a magic spell

It doesn't improve the open world, but shorter play sessions (as are common on a portable system) tend to reduce some of the tedium IMO. That's at least what I think they were trying to say.

dr_rus

so what.. there's like one other person in here besides me happy about this?? lol.... sigh...

god damn Rockstar... way to leave PSVR users out in the cold :_( I would kill to play the VIVE version without having to invest in another VR platform..

sadly I see myself passing on the Switch version.. I'll play through a third time on PS4... can't see myself doing a 4th time any time soon.

I would be happy if they'd make a PC remaster too instead of the useless
to me
VR version.

Fredrik

I was always under the impression that the game was really mediocre, but it having 89 @ MC is a real suprise to me.
Why did you get that idea?
The game got 9/10's all over the place, for me it was in the top 10 last generation. I thought the driving became tedious after a while though and just fast traveled to the destinations most of the time, but all in all it was great.

jdmonmou

I'm really interested in the VR case files. It's also good to see Rockstar giving the Switch some support. Hopefully, a sign of things to come.

Although, I won't be buying the Switch version since I beat this game already on PS3 when it first came out and I later got a free copy of it on PC. No need to triple dip. This overall was a good game, but it could've been so much better. The ending for this game was really bad and the incredible 1940s LA sandbox environment that was created for this game was completely wasted because there wasn't enough meaningful side missions.

Ridley327

homicide was good till they decided to wrap it all up with
the same killer
. Based on real cases or not, it made no sense specially for one specific case and the convenient double suspects, but not particularly bad till the last case which was a mess. Vice is where things started to get pretty bad and Arson had potential but had to be rushed as it was end game already

I guess the game really suffered because of the cut desk. Would be nice if they added it for this new version but oh well

Yeah, it's weird to think about how polished the game is and it still feels like the development hell that it went through regardless. The pacing is odd enough that I almost wonder if they were thinking of making it an episodic game at one point.

sense

I played on PS3 and while it is a flawed game I did enjoy my time with it but it is a one and done game so I doubt i will be getting this.

Plum

"How DARE those fanboys say they might enjoy a game more on a portable device!"

"How DARE they!"

Not really

i just don't think the issues with the open world in LA Noire would be magically fixed just because you now can be bored on the go. it really felt like an afterthought and just letting your partner drive you everywhere is the best way to enjoy the game IMO. And unlike some here i actually really enjoyed LA Noire, warts and all, but i just can't defend the open world and sprinkling more collectibles around won't fix it.

It's not like I said all the problems would vanish, but having something on the go does change how many people look at things. Whilst I'm sitting on the couch at home driving around 40s LA collecting cars is unappealing as I have many other options, whilst on a train or something that could potentially be a good way to relax and/or escape from the commute.

nachum00

Why did you get that idea?
The game got 9/10's all over the place, for me it was in the top 10 last generation. I thought the driving became tedious after a while though and just fast traveled to the destinations most of the time, but all in all it was great.
Same. Definitely one of the best of last gen. I like it more than RDR, and I think it has better writing.

Every time someone says "Who asked for this" a child gets shouted at by an overzealous detective.

Meanwhile, in the "[Rumor] Platinum teases Wonderful 101 for Nintendo Switch" thread, people are getting all lathered up at the thought of a remaster for a game that sold approximately 15 copies.

Gaf's funny like that sometimes.

You're always first in line if you feel someone is slighting the Switch in any way.

And you're always first in line whenever them no good Nintendo fans do terrible things like be excited, or optimistic or heaven forbid be slightly misinformed as to the quality of a port or some such nonsense.

I've been a lurker for ages and I'm shocked you're *still* at this charade like you were when I first visited this site.

What exactly is the issue you have?

Keinning

It doesn't improve the open world

which was my whole point

portable will work wonders for some dragged cases where you want to stretch around or use the toilet while your partner drives you around but it won't make roaming empty streets for minutes waiting for a call to chase down a guy any more fun than it is on consoles

if they used half of the effort spent building the world (instead just letting you pick destinations, adventure game style) into the interrogation sequences game could be so much better than it is

It's not like I said all the problems would vanish, but having something on the go does change how many people look at things. Whilst I'm sitting on the couch at home driving around 40s LA collecting cars is unappealing as I have many other options, whilst on a train or something that could potentially be a good way to relax and/or escape from the commute.

fair enough
can't say i agree with the feeling but if someone would enjoy it more then its not up to me to be up in arms about it

FelipeMGM

so all of this is being done internally?

seems like R* testing the waters and their own staff for possible future games on the franchise

Akoi

I'm still getting over the fact that the rumors were true after all and rockstar isn't just doing a quick and dirty port to the switch... I hope this means more and exciting things from rockstar for the switch if this does well.

Plum

so all of this is being done internally?

seems like R* testing the waters and their own staff for possible future games on the franchise

The PS4/X1 version is being done internally by a small team. The Switch version is being outsourced (since it's more a straight port than graphical enhancement). Not sure about the Vive version but I can imagine that's in-house as well.]

fair enough
can't say i agree with the feeling but if someone would enjoy it more then its not up to me to be up in arms about it

Yeah, the portable experience is different to different people. The open world is still going to be empty af and not having side-missions available at all times was a boneheaded move, but to me it'll be a lot more palatable on Switch with shorter play sessions on the go.

atr0cious

It doesn't improve the open world, but shorter play sessions (as are common on a portable system) tend to reduce some of the tedium IMO. That's at least what I think they were trying to say.
This is also true, as the game is episodic by nature, and being able to pick up and play whenever will be great, especially when playing something like ARMS "the correct way" in public might not be advisable.
Enjoy it all you want. Just don't expect others to kiss your ass over it.
You should probably take a break from posting for a bit, if that's what you're getting from this thread.

I like the game despite the obvious flaws and I’ll nab this day one but I would have much preferred a remastered version of Max Payne 3, which to this day is my favorite TPS.

Give me a PSPRO version running at 60fps and I’ll give you a full 60 bucks because I’m Rockstar’s whore.

Also, it’s nice Rockstar isn’t ignoring the Switch.

Wonder if this means that one the studios is working on another game? Obviously no team Bondi involvement is a given at this point.

I would probably say this is the worst rockstar game but it wasn't even made by them. Just a lot of questionable design decisions like a game that clearly didn't need to be open world just that and the shooting felt a decade behind GTA 4 which wasn't even that great to begin with.

Oh shit this is a remaster I am SO in for. Don't know whether to get it for PS4 or Switch though!

Wonder if this means LA Noire 2/Whore of the Orient is still a thing.

Top Bottom