• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc -

E92 M3

I have the game installed via the recommend way for the performance boost and everything seems to be fine....but given that, how would I go about pinning the USB to my home space? Sounds like a dumb question, but it's rather baffling lol.

The paranoid person in me wants to make sure I launch it from the USB.

Juz

I installed the play disc to my HDD and I haven't noticed any problems. Just couldn't stand the noise and I didn't have a big enough USB around.

Has anyone tried installing the play disc to a USB and the install disc to a different USB device? I wonder if that would work better than USB+HDD.

big_z

since the install disc is broken up into 2GB chunks can you split the install across two usb drives and then install the play disc to hard drive?

rallaren

Devices are throttled because people had to be able to download games onto memory cards, etc.

From Bungie's presentation on making Halo 3 work without a hard drive:

v0U34By.png

USB2 has a theoretical 20MB/sec max with the 360's usb ports, but they probably throttle those too.
Does this mean getting a USB stick with read speed higher than 20mb/s is unnecessary?

USB 2.0 is supposed to be 60mb/s max?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but-

I ran the game for four hours with the HDD install and play disc off optical.

I then installed the play disc onto a USB drive, and played the HDD/USB combo last night.

One fantastic difference is that the start screen/map loads instantly when using HDD/USB. It took 2-3 seconds using the HDD/Optical combo.

I wonder how long the PS3 map load takes... anyone know?

mocoworm

From that article:

DIGITAL FOUNDRY said:
"To make matters worse, in researching this piece two members of our team struggled to even finish the download of the digital PS3 version, suggesting real issues with PSN infrastructure. This is despite being based in two separate locations with individual ISPs - one being on a 60mbps Virgin Media fibre connection and the other on 40mbps Sky fibre line. The infamous error code 80029563 popped up following several separate corrupted 18GB downloads. Eventually, we managed to break through with a complete download - taking an unusually slow two hours and 54 minutes, with the installation clocking in at 55 minutes."

mocoworm

Well apparently its not just him, the RS twitter page is blowing up with 100's of people with the same problem. So its another bug with the 360 version of the game, seems to be related to the auto save feature

All their HDD's may be dying. 100's of people out of millions playing is a tiny percentage. Think about it.

Montresor

Can the answer to this question please be placed in the OP?

Does the type of USB drive matter? Is it better if it's USB 3.0?

Ahasverus

Does anybody else know anyone who is getting the game restart glitch? Where the error message pops up saying

'The game was restarted due to a problem with the storage device where the game data was installed'

A friend has been getting this message, he has a 360 phat with 120GB HDD
I had the same message, it was a 2005 HDD though. I bought a $8 16gb usb stick and it works like a charm now.

rallaren

The USB2 spec can go that fast, the lower speed comes from the solid state memory thumbdrives are using
What about the 3.0 sticks then? Those are the ones I mean. Many have 60mb/s+ read speed.

Edit: A SATA HDD should be faster than a USB 3.0 stick with USB 2.0 speeds... lol.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seeing this info has me thinking, could this be why the PC version is being delayed?

All PC versions will be from hard drive only. Does this imply that there will be heinous texture streaming unless the games installed on an SSD, or unless it's fixed for a PC release?

Seeing this info has me thinking, could this be why the PC version is being delayed?

All PC versions will be from hard drive only. Does this imply that there will be heinous texture streaming unless the games installed on an SSD, or unless it's fixed for a PC release?

I don't think so, since on PC you have RAM and the GPU memory to stream data from (much more than on current gen consoles). I could be wrong tho.

StuBurns

Banned

Delayed? Who said it was ever meant to launch with the other two? None of them have since GTA2.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The reason they need so much streaming bandwidth is because lack of RAM on consoles.

PCs do not have this problem.

The PC version hasn't been delayed. It hasn't even been announced (though most sane people accept there will be PC version at some point).

As for this streaming problem it will NOT affect the PC version. This streaming problem is a direct result of using a 10 year old hard disc interface and having less ram than a mobile phone.

Most modern PC's use at least SATA II (which has twice the bandwidth) plus craploads of memory. This streaming problem just would not be an issue on the PC. It's an issue on the consoles because the things are so damn old.

hlhbk

Installing GTA V to a USB stick I ordered from Amazon. Will report back with my findings. Thanks to all who have posted and helped everyone in this thread.

Nope, on PC they can cache up to ~4GB worth of data in to RAM (for 32bit applications) so the streaming portion would be majorly toned down and less susceptible to having issues when read speeds are not sufficient like on the consoles.

sgi02

Banned
Nope, on PC they can cache up to ~4GB worth of data in to RAM (for 32bit applications) so the streaming portion would be majorly toned down and less susceptible to having issues when read speeds are not sufficient like on the consoles.

From what I understand, the actual 'psychical' ram a 32-Bit exe can address is closer to 2GB. Technically they can address up to 4GB, but the Windows kernel needs ram set aside for basic system operations, so in a real world application you could get about 3GB accessible via tweaks (and large address aware modifications.)...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx

Regardless, the fact GTA5 is doing what it does on consoles with 512MB ram is an amazing technical achievement.

breezer79

Is there an issue if I install the disc on a "non recommended" usb ?

I've got a message that says my usb isnt perfectly responding to optimal performance, but I was able ton install the disk anyway.

ekim

Is there a comparison video between running the game with the second DVD and installing it on a second USB drive?

Pooya

Can the answer to this question please be placed in the OP?

Does the type of USB drive matter? Is it better if it's USB 3.0?

360 doesn't have USB3.0 ports so it can't take advantage of the extra bandwidth anyway but if you use a USB3 drive chances are the flash drive itself is newer and possibly with faster read speeds than some USB2.0 drive. Say, it can max out the USB2.0 bandwidth while an older flash drive might peak at 10MB/s read speed or something. Not every drive has the same read/write speed obviously, so check what you're using. only read speed matters here of course.

Estocolmo

I installed the play disc on a USB stick with 60mb read and 30mb write speed, yet i still have problem with pop-ups in the game...

im going to try to uninstall the game from the USB and install it again to see if it helps. Anyone else with similar problems?

hlhbk

I installed the play disc on a USB stick with 60mb read and 30mb write speed, yet i still have problem with pop-ups in the game...

im going to try to uninstall the game from the USB and install it again to see if it helps. Anyone else with similar problems?

Some pop in will always be there.

From what I understand, the actual 'psychical' ram a 32-Bit exe can address is closer to 2GB. Technically they can address up to 4GB, but the Windows kernel needs ram set aside for basic system operations, so in a real world application you could get about 3GB accessible via tweaks (and large address aware modifications.)...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx

Regardless, the fact GTA5 is doing what it does on consoles with 512MB ram is an amazing technical achievement.

Scary to think what they can achieve this upcoming generation

CHEEZMO™;83779613 said:
So how do you actually install the play disc to your USB?

X button to bring up install option when highlighting the 'play disc' tile and choose your USB storage. If you haven't already done so, you have to go to system settings tab and format/configure the USB device (has to be 16GB or more to install the ~8GB of disc data) in the storage page. Then, go to your games list and look at recent or find the game to press X button to pin it to your pins (if you have Gold) so that you can ensure running from USB and not from disc, which will happen if you choose the play disc tile on the home page. No Gold means you have to go to your recent tab or the one in you games list and pick the GTA V tile that includes the sideways triangle/play symbol on it (this means installed or GoD version).

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
X button to bring up install option when highlighting the 'play disc' tile and choose your USB storage. If you haven't already done so, you have to go to system settings tab and format/configure the USB device (has to be 16GB or more to install the ~8GB of disc data) in the storage page. Then, go to your games list and look at recent or find the game to press X button to pin it to your pins (if you have Gold) so that you can ensure running from USB and not from disc, which will happen if you choose the play disc tile on the home page. No Gold means you have to go to your recent tab or the one in you games list and pick the GTA V tile that includes the sideways triangle/play symbol on it (this means installed or GoD version).

Thanks!

muzzymate

since the install disc is broken up into 2GB chunks can you split the install across two usb drives and then install the play disc to hard drive?

No reason why not. Question would be if there are any quantifiable benefits from doing so.

FyreWulff

Pins don't require Gold. They do require you to be connected to Live though

just fyi

Diablos

Uh. Modern PC's have more than enough memory between system memory and GPU memory for this to be a non-issue. And like 99% of all PC games out there you would be playing off the hard drive anyway.

The problem is that GTA V on consoles takes an unorthodox approach to swapping textures in and out of memory because both PS3 and Xbox 360 are so obsolete.

Top Bottom