• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocky 2 Is The Worst Sequel Ever Made (It's actually Highlander 2)

What is the worst sequel ever made?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse24

Ahem

Slap_shot_2.jpg

HeatBoost

no
Alien 3
Alien Ressurection
Robocop 2 and 3
Spider-Man 3
X-Men 3
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
The Taken sequels
The Highlander sequels
The Reeves Superman sequels (except 2)

there's a long, long list of sequels worse than Rocky 2

Karsha

As a stand alone 2 is great, maybe the best Rocky, but as a sequel I would agree with you, its a retelling of 1 with him winning the title in the end.

JB1981

You're wrong. It had the best training montage in the entire series.

How can you call it the worst sequel of all time when in the same series you have Rocky V?

Rocky 2 is one of the three good movies in the series next to the original and Balboa. The rest are cringey crap.

Ugh. Rocky 3 is way better than Balboa

Absolutely, this is an actual example of something that retroactively fucks up the franchise unless ignored.

Highlander 2 is so bad that you can't even buy it anymore. Whoever owns the rights said "fuck that, you can't have it." There's a "director's cut" floating around that you can get easily, oh yes- but that one chops out all bad shit the studio didn't want you to see.

It literally does not exist on DVD or Blu-Ray, you have to hunt down long out of print VHS tapes to even SEE the theatrical version of Highlander 2. And this is exactly what I did. I own exactly ONE VHS tape, it's never been opened, and it's Highlander 2.

There is exactly ONE other movie I'm aware of where you can get the first one, you can get the third one, but the second is SO BAD the studio flat out says "fuck off, we're not selling you this."

latest

I've actually sat through this. it is INEXCUSABLY terrible in every way a movie can be terrible. It's shocking it actually got made and even more bewildering someone made a Beastmaster 3.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm just gonna say I think 4 had the best training montage

80s cheese + Soviet strength + Snow training

HEARTS AFIRE

SOLDIER

Not a movie sequel, but Psycho-Pass season 2 is so unbelievably awful that I don't think the series will ever be able to bounce back.

FairyD

no
Alien 3
Alien Ressurection
Robocop 2 and 3
Spider-Man 3
X-Men 3
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
The Taken sequels
The Highlander sequels
The Reeves Superman sequels (except 2)

there's a long, long list of sequels worse than Rocky 2

Alien 3 was better than Aliens.

Highlander 2 is so bad that you can't even buy it anymore. Whoever owns the rights said "fuck that, you can't have it." There's a "director's cut" floating around that you can get easily, oh yes- but that one chops out all bad shit the studio didn't want you to see.

It literally does not exist on DVD or Blu-Ray, you have to hunt down long out of print VHS tapes to even SEE the theatrical version of Highlander 2. And this is exactly what I did. I own exactly ONE VHS tape, it's never been opened, and it's Highlander 2.

There is exactly ONE other movie I'm aware of where you can get the first one, you can get the third one, but the second is SO BAD the studio flat out says "fuck off, we're not selling you this."

latest

I've actually sat through this. it is INEXCUSABLY terrible in every way a movie can be terrible. It's shocking it actually got made and even more bewildering someone made a Beastmaster 3.
Different but similar case (because the film is somewhat OK): You can buy the original Fright Night, you can buy the remake and you can buy the ultra shitty sequel to the remake which is actually a remake itself... but you can't buy the sequel to the original film, AFAIK. Been out of print for years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Absolutely, this is an actual example of something that retroactively fucks up the franchise unless ignored.

For folks unfamiliar:

Highlander 1: an ancient race of immortals are destined to fight through history and die by the sword until only one remains.

Highlander 2: highlanders are aliens from the planet Zies who fight aliens on hoverboards and crack wise to save earths lasershield dome or global warming will kill everyone except aliens

Hell outta here. Rocky may as well be a real person in Philly and no Philadelphian is going to stand here and watch you belittle the fine sequel that was Rocky 2. The only rocky we don't claim is 5.

"Touch me and I'll sue"

Even with 3?

Seriously pass whatever you're on over to some of us.

Yeah, I don't get that statement in a world where robocop 3 exists.

For folks unfamiliar:

Highlander 1: an ancient race of immortals are destined to fight through history and die by the sword until only one remains.

Highlander 2: highlanders are aliens from the planet Zies who fight aliens on hoverboards and crack wise to save earths lasershield dome or global warming will kill everyone except aliens

it is so, so much worse than this. From Den of Geek:

Not wanting to let a little thing like not having any immortals or having one of your main poster characters being dead get in the way of a good story, Highlander II almost immediately goes back over every plot point of the first film. The immortals were never immortals but in fact aliens, Sean Connery can resurrect himself (ironically making him more immortal than when he was actually an immortal), and the Highlander wasn't actually from the Highlands but instead from another planet. It also retcons the prize to a choice between dying slowly or being executed. Also, all that bit about MacLeod first meeting Ramirez, learning his true nature and all that character development? Retcon! Turns out they already had some sort of weird civil partnership thing going on, using magic space honey. Also, MacLeod was head of the immortals, I mean ”Zeistians".

So stupid was the whole planet Zeist thing that the director cobbled together a new version years later called the ”Renegade Version". This removed the whole Zeist thing, and very crudely edited all references to Zeist to be some time in a distant past. A distant past that has access to time travel and has laser battles in the debris of crashed spaceships. This is the only version you can buy now unless you want to hunt around for an old VHS copy (yeah, you're not the only one, Star Wars fans).

Highlander 2 is the cinematic equivalent of watching a director taking a gigantic dump on a print of the first film for 90 minutes in slow motion. The studio won't let you buy a copy because they KNOW how badly they fucked up making it.

Arttemis

3 is a great film.

4 has some cheesy shit like the talking robot, but it's still a powerful movie.

5 is utter shit. There's nothing remotely close to this movie. 2 is light-years better than it.

This is a very bad opinion. It's not the worst Rocky, it's not the worst sequel. This probably sounds dumb but it's literally Rocky 1 Part 2. Sure it wasn't terribly interesting and it started the whole "tragedy befalls Rocky making him even more determined to win" thing that they used the next few Rockys. But it wasn't bad

For reference: 1>/=Creed>3>Balboa>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>4>>5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom