• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Watch: The Ring Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suerte

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ring_two/

Uh oh, I'm not liking this :\ Although from reading some of the reviews, it seems generally accepted that if you liked the first film, you'll still like this one, if not, it won't do anything to change your mind about the franchise.

FYI "The Ring" had a 73% fresh rating.

Teddman

Ringu 2 supposedly sucked pretty bad too. The novelty of Ringu/The Ring's horror was in the mystery of how all the people were dying, why, and what connected the victims. Once that's revealed, there's nothing extradinarily compelling.

Suerte

Teddman said:
Same director/writer though, and same inherent problems with the movie's material (see my edited post).

The Ring Two is written by the same writer who wrote The Ring, not Ringu 2.

I think a sequel is necessary to find out who or what Samara is and where she came from, that's the interest now, not the video. Aparently this film answers some of that, but I'm sure they're leaving out a lot of it for the inevitable prequel.

Anyway, I've been reading some of these reviews and well, some of the writing is shocking. A lot of them are like "OMG LOLZ WHY IS SHE NOT USING DVDS TO CURSE PPL?!?!"

Suerte said:
Yeah but it's not based on that film at all.

Actually, it is :p From what I've seen of The Ring 2 trailers, the plot is almost identical. It's just not a remake like the first one was.

Pellham

Banned
Actually, it is :p From what I've seen of The Ring 2 trailers, the plot is almost identical. It's just not a remake like the first one was.

But is it retarded enough to star a former lover of the dead ex-bf from The Ring?

Suerte

Jesus christ people, how many times do I need to say it? THIS FILM IS NOT BASED ON THE PLOT OF RINGU 2 AT ALL. It uses ONE scene from it, which is not a huge part of the plot.

The end.

theo

Contest Winner
this quote seems to sum it up beautifully:
"Overall, it's a film project that follows logically from sequel-itis and box-office greed. And it never rises much above them."
-- Michael Wilmington, CHICAGO TRIBUNE

and if it has nothing to do with the first one, FIND ANOTHER TITLE FOR IT

Suerte said:
Jesus christ people, how many times do I need to say it? THIS FILM IS NOT BASED ON THE PLOT OF RINGU 2 AT ALL. It uses ONE scene from it, which is not a huge part of the plot.

The end.

No man, it's the same premise.
Aiden gets "possessed" by Samara. Ringu 2 is about the kid being "possessed" or infected by Sadako. He has this strange influence over water, his behavior is altered, blah blah blah. Same premise as The Ring 2.
He's not directing the movie as a remake, nor is he saying it's based off the Japanese sequel, but it's the same premise.

Suerte

Manabanana said:
No man, it's the same premise.
Aiden gets "possessed" by Samara. Ringu 2 is about the kid being "possessed" or infected by Sadako. He has this strange influence over water, his behavior is altered, blah blah blah. Same premise as The Ring 2.
He's not directing the movie as a remake, nor is he saying it's based off the Japanese sequel, but it's the same premise.

I really don't think Yoichi was possessed by Sadako, the plot suggested that he started to develop the psychic powers he inherited from his father and they try to use these powers in order to deal with Sadako. Plus, I don't think Sadako had any influence over water, the plot in Ringu 2 suggested she came from the sea though, but I don't think she had any control over the water. It's not really a huge coincidence of the plot anyway, considering both Samara and Sadako were stuck down a well which obviously contained water.
Sure, it's the same premise in that it shares elements of it, like the character of Sadako/Samara and having a young boy in it, but really, this film contains none of the plot from Ringu 2, trust me.

Dujour

Banned
Has anyone seen that episode of Batman Beyond called Mindgames? It's about a girl who has these psychic powers and she her name's Tamara and she's a little on the spooky side. It's kinda similar to the Ring. It aired in december of 99. Coincidence?

shuri

Banned
Dujour said:
Has anyone seen that episode of Batman Beyond called Mindgames? It's about a girl who has these psychic powers and she her name's Tamara and she's a little on the spooky side. It's kinda similar to the Ring. It aired in december of 99. Coincidence?

Ringu came out in 1998 :|

Teddman

Suerte said:
The Ring Two is written by the same writer who wrote The Ring, not Ringu 2.
Still based upon the work of Hiroshi Takahashi, who wrote both Ringu and Ringu 2, and also receives a writing credit on The Ring Two.

Suerte

Teddman said:
Still based upon the work of Hiroshi Takahashi, who wrote both Ringu and Ringu 2, and also receives a writing credit on The Ring Two.

Because he wrote the original Ringu, so of course he's going get a writing credit on The Ring Two. But yeah, I've already pointed out that even Nakata Hideo says The Ring Two has nothing of Ringu 2 in it, plot wise.

Teddman

Well, he's obviously not being straight if he says there's nothing of Ringu 2 in it. Anyhow, maybe they should have done a wholesale remake after all judging by the reviews.

Pellham

Banned

Who is that, the author of the original Ringu novels? You know that the Ringu movie bears little resemblence to the novel(s) they were based on, right?

Suerte

Pellham said:
Who is that, the author of the original Ringu novels? You know that the Ringu movie bears little resemblence to the novel(s) they were based on, right?

No, it's not the author of the original Ringu novel, Suzuki Koji.

i hated the first 1 it was horrible nd not even scary. u watch a tape nd die from watchin it it was a rly horrible concept 4 a movie

Suerte

BooM235689 said:
i hated the first 1 it was horrible nd not even scary. u watch a tape nd die from watchin it it was a rly horrible concept 4 a movie

You know, I hear they make keyboards with the whole alphabet on them now... Just a heads up.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Suerte said:
You know, I hear they make keyboards with the whole alphabet on them now... Just a heads up.
:lol

I didn't much care for The Ring, so I doubt I'll be seeing this one. The trailer isn't half-bad, though (that's what drew me to the first movie).

Suerte

Tritroid said:
Someone spoil the ending for me already.

It turns out, it was the school janitor all along and he would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those damn pesky kids!

demi

Tritroid said:
Someone spoil the ending for me already.

Samara takes over Aidan's body; and Rachel knows this because she visits Samara's biological mother in an insane asylum. Samara's mother says to kill her child. Rachel drowns Aidan to get Samara out and Samara is let out. Samara then takes Rachel into the TV; and Rachel is stuck in the well. She climbs out and traps Samara inside. She then jumps from the cliff just like on the tape, and she is now with Aidan...

Now shut up.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Until the US movie series descends in to the absurdity that was the eventually of the Ringu book series

A virtual simulation gone out of control

US Ring movie series > Ringu book series

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Yeah but is the movie spooky enough to take a girl too cause I want her to hold on to me. If not its not worth it.

Biglesworth23 said:
I've already seen the Ring 2 months ago. It wasn't very good, let me tell ya. Oh wait.. that was the Grudge. Hmm.. ;)

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding
Being misinformed doesn't make you an elitist.

Also, the best the Ring film series had to offer was Rasen. Mostly because it was extremely hypnotic, but also because it was unsettling from start to finish. I like movies that are very anticlimactic and Rasen was just that. And damn what a great ending. Ring 2 (JPN) was just going for the cheap thrills that were established in the first one. Not bad though since I think it did a better job of being scary than the first.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
ah yes but you have to remember that one its horror - 15 % automatically. Two ...these are the same reviewers that gave planes trains and automobiles a 100%...yes 100% its on the all time best list...it beat out gladiator..which isnt there, these are the same reviewers that have rosemarys baby ranked higher than texas chainsaw massacre and the shinning. The fucking Shinning! According to their all time list , who framed roger rabbit is better than Braveheart, cause braveheart aint there...but who framed roger rabit is...and i aint talkin bout the nintendo game. Grain of salt my friends, grain of salt.

DonasaurusRex said:
ah yes but you have to remember that one its horror - 15 % automatically. Two ...these are the same reviewers that gave planes trains and automobiles a 100%...yes 100% its on the all time best list...it beat out gladiator..which isnt there, these are the same reviewers that have rosemarys baby ranked higher than texas chainsaw massacre and the shinning. The fucking Shinning! According to their all time list , who framed roger rabbit is better than Braveheart, cause braveheart aint there...but who framed roger rabit is...and i aint talkin bout the nintendo game. Grain of salt my friends, grain of salt.

Gladiator sucked, and The Shining was a film Stephen King has repeatedly said didn't capture the essense of his book because Kubrick sucked at horror.

But I agree: take their list with a grain of salt as msot of the older films lack enough reviews to give them a competent rating.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Gladiator sucked, and The Shining was a film Stephen King has repeatedly said didn't capture the essense of his book because Kubrick sucked at horror.

But I agree: take their list with a grain of salt as msot of the older films lack enough reviews to give them a competent rating.

Ah HAAAA thats why texas was in there too as further proof. And whether king liked the shinning or not, its a classic and a well recognized one, far more than rosemarys baby.

Who framed roger rabbit!!!!!??

Teddman

OpinionatedCyborg said:
King's fully-endorsed TV version of the Shining was a snorefest.

Regardless of the movie's quality or who is responsible for it or what it steals its story from... this thread was worth it for Suerte's hyper-defensive whiny replies to everything.

Liu Kang gives this thread the Mortal Kombat Seal of Approval.

MIMIC

Banned
As a diehard "The Ring" fan, I can say I was fairly disappointed. :(

It wasn't a horrible movie, but as a follow-up to "The Ring".... :(

jett

D-Member
Well...still looking forward to it...

And The Shining is one of Kubrick's worst films, if not the worst. Overrated.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm no special effects buff, but
I was truely horrified by that deer scene. I was like, "Wow...that is so fucking fake."

I REALLY wanted to love the shit out of this movie.

But still: "The Ring" > Any other horror movie. :)

I didn't really find the Ring scary, but it had a good interesting plot.
The Ring 2 though, terrible plot. Awful. Please don't see it. Not even scary at all. No one in the full theatre screamed, jumped, nothing really. At one point everyone was laughing, during a serious scene. Save yourself the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom