• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Book of Eli (GAF meltdown incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewsky

I went to see this movie opening night. I realized all the big problems people are mentioning while I was watching, but like a lot of other people have said I just didn't really care. Just sat back and enjoyed a really good action movie.

One other good thing about the movie is that it sparked a long ass conversation about the big twist where I work between me and a coworker. Normally movies that I like don't match up with the people that I work with (they love Transformers 2 etc) so it was refreshing to talk out a movie and have some fun with it.

Basically that's what I got from this movie, just had a ton of fun with it. Congrats Gary! :D

I've been following this thread for a long time. With that said, I'm hoping to see this movie! I'm so hyped for it but unfortunately broke atm. Payday is Friday so I'll probably see it then!

mrkgoo said:
I did question the exact same thing when it came to it. And I also asked at the very end when she was boldy striding into the dessert on her own, despite the film telling us that she was incapable of making it on her own (then again, maybe that's the 'growth' of the character).

But each time, I just shrugged it off and went, "meh". I can do that in some movies. Others I can't.
"Please watch over her as you watched over me."

That's the one and only thing Eli asks God for before he dies, and since he just did God a pretty major solid, I think he gets it. Solara's going to be fine.

I went in with little expectations and found myself really enjoying the film. Not one of the best that I've ever seen, but definitely very good. The musical score was fantastic, though, and I would love to get the soundtrack sometime.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Gary Whitta said:

That's the one and only thing Eli asks God for before he dies, and since he just did God a pretty major solid, I think he gets it. Solara's going to be fine.

SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:

Straight from the creator.

Yeah, I figured that, it was a pretty sudden shift for the character, but I got it. I think that's how you can pretty much explain everything in the movie - Eli had faith that he would be protected, and Solara is carrying that with her.

Anyway, now that the movie is released, Gary, how do you feel that everyone is discussing your work, praising it, pulling it apart? Something YOU made is being discussed - does it amuse you when people get it all wrong? Does it satisfy when they 'get' it? Does it make you see your own work in different ways? Does it sometimes even give you ideas that you didn't have answers for?

:p

RadioHeadAche said:
I went in with little expectations and found myself really enjoying the film. Not one of the best that I've ever seen, but definitely very good. The musical score was fantastic, though, and I would love to get the soundtrack sometime.

Yeah, I did find myself really liking the sound design to the film.

maharg

idspispopd
I'd have liked an ending where Mila Kunis sits down to actually write the Book Of Eli, immortalizing him as a new prophet, better than her going out all butch. But other than that, I really enjoyed it. Product placement nitpicks seem utterly inane to me, but the only thing I even recognized was the ipod and the motorola logo. Everything people have listed (including those two) seemed sensible things to have to me. It's not like he's gonna go "oh these headphones? These are too tricked out. I gotta get me some walmart headphones, this is post-apocalypse don'cha know." It's a stretch the ipod would last that long, but so damn what.

SickBoy

A few things (spoilers?):

1) I wonder if the iPod was actually "product placement" (i.e: was it paid for?) as has been suggested in the thread . I kind of doubted it because it's clearly a years-old model iPod. Maybe it is. Apple can be clever like that, but if there wasn't a paying advertiser for Eli's portable music player, it would make sense to use an iPod as said device.

2) The driving question never occurred to me during the movie, and seeing the outcry after, who's to say she's never driven? She knows where the water source is, has she driven there? Maybe!

3) Someone else brought up the mass production of the book, and I think that's an interesting irony -- assuming they were printed and distributed, Oldman's character pretty much killed himself for nothing... since he'd have been able to fashion his little cult or whatever with the copies that would eventually start rolling off the press.

4) Speaking of the book and the iPod... "the last one" seems so much less likely when surely there was some sort of digital copy lurking somewhere (King James Bible? There's an app for that!).

Doesn't change sort of my middling view of the movie, but surprised by the apparent anger some people have towards its existence.

Japanese poster:

book_of_eli_ver6.jpg

Desiato

"The Walker"? Why the different title?

Oh, and when it hits Belgian theatres (March?) I'll be sure to check it out.

Chinner

Banned
Could you make like an alternative for us atheists? like make it so he's carrying a copy of charles darwin's 'on the origin of species' or something?

Chinner said:
Could you make like an alternative for us atheists? like make it so he's carrying a copy of charles darwin's 'on the origin of species' or something?
How about I just tell you that book already made it to
Alcatraz
? :lol

Just got back from seeing it with some friends..

We all enjoyed it a good bit.

One of my friends completely missed the "twist" until I explained it to him.

Kudos to you Gary for getting the movie made, particularly with so few alterations from your original script.

We all appreciated all of the little details in the movie, it was very subtle. We were discussing it over a late dinner and we kept remembering more little details that were clues that we hadn't thought anything of at the time.

Well, Gary, I just overheard someone ruin the end of your movie during lunch. You know those people who "talk about a movie" they saw by recounting every single plot point? Yeah.

Oh well.

mrkgoo

Robobandit said:
Just got back from seeing it with some friends..

We all enjoyed it a good bit.

One of my friends completely missed the "twist" until I explained it to him.

Kudos to you Gary for getting the movie made, particularly with so few alterations from your original script.

We all appreciated all of the little details in the movie, it was very subtle. We were discussing it over a late dinner and we kept remembering more little details that were clues that we hadn't thought anything of at the time.

As one who didn't know the 'twist' and being mindblower, I think it's always fun to remember those moments. It's a very difficult thing to pull off to make you able to remember every detail, but with enough subtlety such that you don't notice it's shoving something in your face. Fight Club manages it with finesse too.

When it's done in a good way, you can appreciate it even if you know the twist.

This hasn't happened for me in a long time. I tend not to avoid spoilers, however, so I typically go in knowing most twists (maybe that has something to do with this).

Gary Whitta said:
Japanese poster:

http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/book_of_eli_ver6.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I don't suppose you have that image without the text do you?

Question: I didn't see the songs from Eli's ipod on the soundtrack - do I have the names wrong or the CD just the score from the movie? (what are the differences between a soundtrack and score anyway?)

I'll admit, I looked at it up hoping for an Eli / running mixtape:D

I didn't expect to enjoy this but in the end I did. However my sister came out from seeing it and said she wasn't too happy "with all that bible rubbish".

HamPster PamPster said:
I don't suppose you have that image without the text do you?

Question: I didn't see the songs from Eli's ipod on the soundtrack - do I have the names wrong or the CD just the score from the movie? (what are the differences between a soundtrack and score anyway?)

I'll admit, I looked at it up hoping for an Eli / running mixtape:D
The soundtrack doesn't have the additional songs used in the movie (there's only two, three if you count Redridge whistling "Once Upon a Time in America") but you can get them on iTunes easily enough.

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I caught a lot of the things that have been nitpicked in this thread, but they didn't ruin it for me.

I'm surprised at all the complaining about character development - I felt that Eli and Carnegie were both developed very well and were even dynamic throughout the movie. Maybe they were too unbelievable for some people because they're used to cookie-cutter, two dimensional characters in the movies they watch.

The only character I didn't really care for was Kunis'. I think Gary's explanation about the final scene really does ruin the movie, since without this scene/explanation God's presence is ambiguous. She's also the only character that doesn't react well to being in a post-apocalyptic world, since she supposedly grew up in it (even if she was sheltered at Carnegie's bar the whole time, she should understand more about the world than she demonstrates).

At first I was angry about the twist -
he's blind!
- but after thinking about all the subtle queues toward it, it's grown on my and I think it was a clever writing device.

The most distracting problems I had with it were the following:

• The Bible is the most widely published book in the world. It's been translated into a billion different languages and a copy can be found just about anywhere you look. I was cleaning house the other day and found 3 copies and I'm an agnostic.

• Product placement - The truck was too clean for 30+ years laying in wreckage... Motorola doesn't even make a commercially available megaphone. Other than those two, I dug the headphones and wondered what they were, but never saw the actual "product placement" in them (ie. the logo wasn't obvious enough that I picked up on it). The iPod was a stretch because that gen of iPod was notorious for its smiley face of death, but whatever, it was a nice addition to the movie.

• The woods in the opening scene were cool and is how I imagined a lot of The Road scenes to be like (I haven't seen The Road yet). Beside the final scene, the rest of BoE was shot in Nevada or someplace that looks a lot like Nevada though, and that was disappointing.

Aside from that, I thought it was a great movie and will be recommending it.

Before I address a few posts I felt compelled to respond to, I just wanted to point out that the GAFers I disagreed with the most in this thread were also the most egregious abusers of the words there/their/they're and were/where. The typos in this thread were more distracting than any product placement or plotholes I saw in BoE.

Buckethead said:
Excellent flick.
Has Gary Oldman ever acted badly in his life? Methinks not.
Tiptoes. 'Nuff said.

koam said:
It's not nitpicking. Nitpicking would be wondering how in the little time they were in the house, how did he manage to disassemble a TV and place the book inside and close it. Or why was a song that was never released on vinyl playing on the record player :lol
Anita Ward - Songs of Love (Vinyl)

Also, I imagine George had already dismantled the tv for parts and/or a stash spot since Martha mentions that he's a resourceful handyman.

Napoleonthechimp said:
Given the fuss over the screenplay is it ever going to be printed and published?
Not sure, thanks to the WGA contract I retain the right to do so if I want. If there's enough demand it might be worth looking into...

Commodore_Perry said:
The only character I didn't really care for was Kunis'. I think Gary's explanation about the final scene really does ruin the movie, since without this scene/explanation God's presence is ambiguous.
Sorry you feel that way. You're free to interpret the ending of the movie any way you wish and we deliberately left the ending somewhat ambiguous, but for me the "correct" interpretation of the end of the film is that
God must exist, because Eli's journey would have been impossible otherwise.

mrkgoo said:
Anyway, now that the movie is released, Gary, how do you feel that everyone is discussing your work, praising it, pulling it apart? Something YOU made is being discussed - does it amuse you when people get it all wrong? Does it satisfy when they 'get' it? Does it make you see your own work in different ways? Does it sometimes even give you ideas that you didn't have answers for?
It's been really surreal, in a good way. It's been great to see that so many people (80%+ by every metric we have) are really liking - and yes, "getting" - the film, and really gratifying to see it analyzed and discussed in such detail because one of the big goals when writing the script was to incite discussion and debate. It's amazing how much some people have read into the film, even beyond my intent in some cases, but I guess that's not so surprising when you're dealing with a film that has such overt spiritual themes.

The best thing of all has been all the sincere and heartfelt messages I've received from people who said the movie's message moved or touched or inspired them in some way. I always hoped that the film might have that impact to some degree, but have been really bowled over to see the extent to which it has genuinely affected some people, particularly people of faith. I actually got a bit misty-eyed reading some of the sentiments sent to me over the past few days. To create something and put it out there into the world and to know that it touched people in a way that means something - that's really what makes it all worth it.

Gary Whitta said:
It's the internet, what does what I want have to do with it? Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

I'm just saying, the sites that have it up are happy to take it down. I'm going to print out the pdf and protect it Zel style.

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:
It's been really surreal, in a good way. It's been great to see that so many people (80%+ by every metric we have) are really liking - and yes, "getting" - the film, and really gratifying to see it analyzed and discussed in such detail because one of the big goals when writing the script was to incite discussion and debate. It's amazing how much some people have read into the film, even beyond my intent in some cases, but I guess that's not so surprising when you're dealing with a film that has such overt spiritual themes.

The best thing of all has been all the sincere and heartfelt messages I've received from people who said the movie's message moved or touched or inspired them in some way. I always hoped that the film might have that impact to some degree, but have been really bowled over to see the extent to which it has genuinely affected some people, particularly people of faith. I actually got a bit misty-eyed reading some of the sentiments sent to me over the past few days. To create something and put it out there into the world and to know that it touched people in a way that means something - that's really what makes it all worth it.

Thanks for replying.

Man, must be amazing.

CzarTim

Saw this twice already in theaters. Can't wait for the blu-ray. <3 Mila Kunis.'

Edit: Didn't realize Gary wrote this. Way to go, man.

SickBoy said:
A few things (spoilers?):

1) I wonder if the iPod was actually "product placement" (i.e: was it paid for?) as has been suggested in the thread . I kind of doubted it because it's clearly a years-old model iPod. Maybe it is. Apple can be clever like that, but if there wasn't a paying advertiser for Eli's portable music player, it would make sense to use an iPod as said device.
No, it was specified as an iPod in the first draft of the script I ever wrote.

maharg said:
I'd have liked an ending where Mila Kunis sits down to actually write the Book Of Eli, immortalizing him as a new prophet, better than her going out all butch.
I actually toyed with a similar idea, that when
they printed the new edition of the bible it had a new chapter, Eli's story, in it
- the title even hints at this - but never wrote a version of it because I felt like even though the story was somewhat inspired by the journeys of great biblical heroes it would be the height of arrogance to suggest that the story we told could really stand alongside those actually in the bible, and I'm sure many would have found that downright sacrilegious.

My only one real regret is that we never showed that
Solara had learned to read at the end of the movie.
It's the one thing she wanted and made a big deal out of a few times throughout the movie and I would have liked to have shown that. It was in my script but for whatever reason never made into the finished film. For the record, she did
learn to read while on Alcatraz
, we just don't show it :D

mrkgoo

You know, I've always wondered ... How much of a 'world' do you flesh out when writing a story? I gues you hve to consider all the things that happen in between...

AVclub

Gary Whitta said:

Fuckin hell! I guess the author of the damn script doesn't consider the death of the title character as a spoiler? I've been following this thread to get hyped for the movie and now the untagged spoilers are suddenly flying.

Oh well...

Oops my bad, sorry. I'd tag it but it's already been quoted by a bunch of others, including yourself. Also, your bad for not seeing the movie ASAP! :D

EDIT: Tagged it anyway, now I feel bad :(

Gary Whitta said:
Oops my bad, sorry. I'd tag it but it's already been quoted by a bunch of others, including yourself. Also, your bad for not seeing the movie ASAP! :D
Country Date
Greece 14 January 2010
Russia 14 January 2010
Canada 15 January 2010
Kazakhstan 15 January 2010
UK 15 January 2010
USA 15 January 2010
France 20 January 2010
Slovenia 21 January 2010
Bulgaria 22 January 2010
Estonia 22 January 2010
Poland 29 January 2010
Egypt 3 February 2010
Belgium 10 February 2010
Australia 18 February 2010
Germany 18 February 2010
New Zealand 18 February 2010
Singapore 25 February 2010
Finland 26 February 2010
Italy 26 February 2010
Sweden 26 February 2010
Czech Republic 4 March 2010
Netherlands 4 March 2010
Romania 5 March 2010
Argentina 18 March 2010
Brazil 19 March 2010
Japan 19 June 2010

mrkgoo

Is it out in all regions?

Still, if I really worry about spoilers, I tend to try and keep out of threads. It's inevitable to see something you don't want if you do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ChoklitReign said:
Why does the Japanese poster spoil that he goes to
San Francisco?

Honestly, without
The Golden Gate Bridge
how many people in Japan would really recognize it?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
The movie was supposed to be released today in Bahrain. I got to the theater after a long drive only to have them tell me it's been pushed to next week. Bullshit. So I just bought Zombieland on Blu-ray and drove back home.

maharg

idspispopd
DrForester said:
Honestly, without
The Golden Gate Bridge
how many people in Japan would really recognize it?

Also, does it really matter if he goes to
San Francisco
instead of
Los Angeles
Portland
, or
Seattle
?

West
is
West

Status