• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Pixar's Inside Out (2015) - 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
wpid-inside-out-emotion-poster.jpg

Yes, I know the 100% rating might not last that long, but we're twenty reviews in, so it's safe to predict that this movie is at the very least pretty good.

Official Site: http://movies.disney.com/inside-out/

Reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/

Directed By: Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen
In Theaters: Jun 19, 2015 Wide

Synopsis: Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school. -- (C) Pixar

A few snippets:

This adventurous outing manages the great Pixar trick of operating on two levels-captivating fun for kids, disarming smarts for adults-that sets the studio apart.
-Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

Pixar's 15th feature proves to be the greatest idea the toon studio has ever had ... promises to forever change the way people think about the way people think, delivering creative fireworks grounded by a wonderfully relatable family story.
Peter Debruge, Variety

[Inside Out] can easily stand alongside Pixar's greatest films.
-Wendy Ide, Times UK

Children's book authors will be eating their hearts out over co-writer/director Peter Docter's brilliantly devised story about the different emotions that people (kids in specific) feel

Unique, fresh and exhilarating, this is Pixar at its best

Pixar's most ambitious, imaginative and adult film takes a look at the emotions that control our wellbeing.
-Kaleem Aftab, Independent

Yes, this is heady stuff, which is apt since the film takes place in a young girl's head. Inside Out is tremendous, an instant animation classic that's a far cry from being kids stuff. This is Pixar growing up, and it's all the better for it.
-Jason Gorber, TwitchFilm

Inside Out is delightfully inventive, funny and touching and, surreptitiously, a great way of helping kids get a handle on all those inexplicable feelings.
-David Sexton, This Is London

Can we just fast forward 2 weeks so I can see this film? Pretty please?

EDIT: 5 MORE DAYS D=

ZeroX03

Banned
Return of the King?

Wasn't really on my radar. Was only really interested in the Dinosaur flick. But now I'm definitely seeing it.

frontovik

Banned
I have high hopes and am optimistic for this one. Perhaps it'll be on par or surpass my Pixar favourite, Ratatouille.

Toad.T

Banned
Going to see the sneak premiere event thing a few days early. Hyped.

But not as much as I could be, because I semi-spoiled myself by glancing through one of the picture books at my store.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Saw the expanded preview for this before Home (I have a rant on that if anyone wants to hear it) and the cast for it is seriously astounding.

Welcome back, Pixar.

Can't wait!

Is this like a B-Team Pixar movie? Have literally never heard of this

This is pretty typical of Pixar marketing, except with Toy Story. They usually do not advertise or create any hype with the general public until just before a movie's release. Then they usually just let the movie and reviews speak for itself.

From the moment I saw the trailer I knew this was something I have to see. Great to read that it seems to be one of Pixar's best in many years.

If it's Up good, I'd be shocked. I loved that film with all my stupid little heart.

i meant it the other way, i found up to be overrated tbh. first 10 or so minutes are incredible and the rest is just wack to me (talking dogs and that kid ruined the premise)

hopefully this commits to it's concept.

Five

Banned
It doesn't seem interesting, but hopefully that's just my reservations regarding the last few Pixar films talking. Then again, Ratatoullie didn't look interesting at first, and now it's my second-favorite Pixar movie. I'd love for this to be that caliber of film again!

i meant it the other way, i found up to be overrated tbh. first 10 or so minutes are incredible and the rest is just wack to me (talking dogs and that kid ruined the premise)

hopefully this commits to it's concept.

If I may ask, after those first ten minutes of heartbreak, what were you expecting? I mean, we could likely debate about this all night.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's this vs. Fury Road for best movie of the summer.

If I may ask, after those first ten minutes of heartbreak, what were you expecting? I mean, we could likely debate about this all night.

the old man to travel alone and go on a journey of self-discovery. lmao, i know it was a very unrealistic expectation for a big animated film but i would have been up for it. i think the film could still work with the kid too but those dogs really hurt it for me, kind of just made it devolve into a more average animated film.

the old man to travel alone and go on a journey of self-discovery. lmao, i know it was a very unrealistic expectation for a big animated film but i would have been up for it. i think the film could still work with the kid too but those dogs really hurt it for me, kind of just made it devolve into a more average animated film.

To be honest, I love these sorts of films too. Honest. But I think Pixar did pretty wonderfully with what they gave us.

I hate how the mobile site doesn't give you the average score or how many gave it fresh and rotten reviews. The worst part is they got rid of the option to go to the desktop site Even when you click on the 'go to desktop' button. Guess they're trying to do a scaling thing where the desktop site is the mobile site and vise versa but at least keep the same information.

The return of the king already happened when Disney Feature Animation released Frozen and restored their honor and god tier status

You know, you're absolutely right. It wasn't acclaimed as the greatest film of all time, but it recaptured the audience that Disney was looking for and then some.

Ratrat

Pixar's 15th feature proves to be the greatest idea the toon studio has ever had ... promises to forever change the way people think about the way people think, delivering creative fireworks grounded by a wonderfully relatable family story.
Peter Debruge, Variety
Wasnt this just a recycled idea from an old Disney short? Kind of like how Toy Story is a remake of Brave Little Toaster.

Anyway, I'm skeptical after their last few movies.

This is Murica, Disco, not France, or, like, Germany or whatever. Our animated fillems need talking animals and high jinks. Who's gonna pay to watch an old guy go on a journey of self discovery without a hyper little kid?

You'd probably have his house float with, like, a depression to energy converter instead of balloons too, right? And make the whole thing black and white, and silent.

This is Murica, man. Land of the free, home of the talking dogs.

Ratrat

Holy Jesus, I'm as big a fan of the Brave Little Toaster as anybody, but writing Toy Story off as a remake of it? Yikes.
Im a huge fan of Toy Story, and even I can see the numerous similarities. Considering they are directed by Lasseter, it's a fair comparison to draw when people talk of originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom