• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New lawsuit against Disney for allegedly stealing idea for INSIDE OUT

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...de-plot-new-lawsuit-1015217?facebook_20170630

Inside Out's "Anger" is taking center stage, as a childhood development expert is suing Disney for allegedly stealing her pitch for a story about anthropomorphized emotions.

Denise Daniels is suing Disney and Pixar, claiming the 2015 animated hit is based on her children's program called The Moodsters, which she created to help kids better manage their emotions. Daniels, who co-founded the National Childhood Grief Institute, says the idea was born after years of counseling children after tragedies including Hurricane Katrina and 9/11. It started with a workbook to help doctors work with pediatric patients using color-coded symbols for emotions, and with the help of a "high-profile and accomplished" team it eventually was developed into a pilot.

"The Moodsters live 'deep down inside every child,' and featured five main characters," writes attorney Michael Geibelson in the complaint, which is posted in full below. "Each character is an animated, anthropromorphized figure representing a single emotion with a corresponding color, and specifically happiness (yellow), anger (red), sadness (blue), fear (green) and love (pink)."

Daniels claims her team pitched the idea to Disney-Pixar every year from 2005 to 2009 — a similar plot to the lawsuit filed by Esplanade Pictures which claims writer Gary L. Goldman repeatedly pitched the story that eventually became Zootopia and wasn't compensated.

Daniels is suing for breach of implied-in-fact contract, claiming that she relied on entertainment industry customs and practices and expected that she would be compensated if Disney-Pixar used her idea.

She needs to Google Epcot Cranium Command and check the date.
Disney can say ideas from that and colors are coincidence or social norms.

Keri

Inside Out isn't a particularly unique idea, but I suppose it helps her case that she actually pitched her concept to Disney. Still personified internal emotions is an idea independently thought up my millions. Also, yellow, red and blue are commonly connected to happiness, anger and sadness. So, I think she's going to need some more specific details that overlap, to win a judgment.

adj_noun

THE-MOODSTERS-GROUP-FOR-WEBSITE.png

The Moodsters are five lovable little detectives who use special sleuthing skills to help children solve the mysteries of feelings.

They basically remind me of the aftermath of a torrid one night stand between Care Bears and the Mr. Men.

DiscoJer

Didn't Herman's Head do this first? It was a show on fox that lasted like 3-4 years in the early 90s. Had Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria from the Simpsons on it.

Of course big bucks Disney is going to win, but I don't doubt it was originally her idea. Pretty gross how this is how life works.

Btw did anyone know Tiffany's owns the right to associate the color blue with purses? Ridiculous how some of these trademarks work

On phone but comic book in UK (was printed in my home town!) called the Beano has the Numbskulls which is the same idea and has been going for decades.

They even had the guy go see inside out in the strip and the characters complained that it wasn't as easy as that in real life.

The writers etc of DC Thomson never sued Disney even though you could say there was a good case. Their reasoning was that these ideas may never have been inspired by Numbskulls and it was great to see other people tackle the ideas.

Also they loved the movie!

Wolfe

Spending a fortune in legal fees trying to win an unwinnable battle against Disney is going to really change her Moodster.

I'll admit, the entire time reading this up until the last word I was pretty emotionless as I visualized the sad truth of the words, once I saw the end I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. Well done.

On phone but comic book in UK (was printed in my home town!) called the Beano has the Numbskulls which is the same idea and has been going for decades.

They even had the guy go see inside out in the strip and the characters complained that it wasn't as easy as that in real life.

The writers etc of DC Thomson never sued Disney even though you could say there was a good case. Their reasoning was that these ideas may never have been inspired by Numbskulls and it was great to see other people tackle the ideas.

Love the Numskulls! Was about to post this :)

sakipon

Also, yellow, red and blue are commonly connected to happiness, anger and sadness.

Red and blue I agree on, but is yellow for happiness so very common? If someone asked me all of a sudden, I'd associate it more with Easter or Spring or warmth (sunlight) maybe.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Yup. They first appeared in the Beezer in 1962.

One significant difference between the Numskulls and Inside Out is that the former concentrated mostly on the physical operations of the body, whereas the latter concentrated on emotions.

But, yeah, the idea that little people run your body is pretty universal. I remember an animation called Once Upon A Time... Life where they anthropomorphised cells to show how your body worked.

https://youtu.be/mpchye1X_Rs

Vectorman

Banned
Yup. They first appeared in the Beezer in 1962.

One significant difference between the Numskulls and Inside Out is that the former concentrated mostly on the physical operations of the body, whereas the latter concentrated on emotions.

But, yeah, the idea that little people run your body is pretty universal. I remember an animation called Once Upon A Time... Life where they anthropomorphised cells to show how your body worked.

https://youtu.be/mpchye1X_Rs
Was gonna also say I love some Osmosis Jones lol.

Korey

Except it's a very vague pitch based on the OP

She's literally suing for the idea of color coded emotions that live inside children. Which is pretty general.

Yo, Disney's a multi-billion dollar company and doesn't need random armchair lawyers defending them.

They very well may have gotten the idea for Inside Out from those pitches. I'm sure we'll hear more about the specifics in court, and whether the plaintiffs are entitled to any compensation for it.

sirap

Isn't this why disney burn all their unsolicited mail? So folks can't say they sent them the ideas for X and Y.

It's also why Pixar artists refuse to listen to any ideas or pitches. They straight out say this in every masterclass I've been to.

Yo, Disney's a multi-billion dollar company and doesn't need random armchair lawyers defending them.

They very well may have gotten the idea for Inside Out from those pitches. I'm sure we'll hear more about the specifics in court, and whether the plaintiffs are entitled to any compensation for it.

Pointing out the literal words in the document her lawyers filed is not being an armchair lawyer for Disney. lol.

Is this the second attempt by someone claiming this idea? Was the first lawsuit from the creators who made the short Brain Divided?

Disney Pixar seem to always get hit with these lawsuits after each release, has anyone ever had a real case and one?

LiK

Disney literally became big from adapting someone else's work so I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere unless she can prove specifics. The whole emotions thing could've been an inspiration at most.

Dead Man

She's literally suing for the idea of color coded emotions that live inside children. Which is pretty general.
She's suing for them using an idea she says she gave them that they then used. Not that she invented the broad idea. I have no idea if her case has any merit and even if it did I don't see her winning. But let's be honest about what she's claiming.

Except it's a very vague pitch based on the OP
Sure. But people are posting like she's claiming the whole idea in general.

caliph95

Disney literally became big from adapting someone else's work so I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere unless she can prove specifics. The whole emotions thing could've been an inspiration at most.
Another problem is that Disney is reach and can do what some companies do and drag the case until she runs out of money

If it's true, then I doubt will hear about how this ends. Disney will either bury the lawsuit forever or make a settlement with a non-disclosure clause

Loona

Didn't Herman's Head do this first? It was a show on fox that lasted like 3-4 years in the early 90s. Had Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria from the Simpsons on it.

Thought for sure the Hermans Head creators were coming to collect their due

This - Herman's Head was pretty great, but there doesn't even seem to be a legal way to get and watch its episodes nowadays. It deserves to have more of a legacy than it did.

She needs to Google Epcot Cranium Command and check the date.
Disney can say ideas from that and colors are coincidence or social norms.

That was my first thought, but the characters in that were based on organs, not emotions.

But to be honest, characters based on emotions is hardly an insightful idea that plenty of writers couldn't come up with on their own.

_Ryo_

I would usually say that ideas arent that exclusive thst no one else besides you can organically have the same one. But then the fact that she pitched it several times makes me a lot more curious as to if maybe shes right.p

Top Bottom