• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

HyperInuyasha

Neo Member
Oh, I wasn't aware that it's taken so long for a community thread to spring up. I guess now that MV's coming out, it's about time there was one.

Anyone else getting MV when it comes out? I can't afford it, though I'd like to play around with the free trial!

EDIT: Oh man, I forgot that it totally released today.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

JCX

How flexible can you be with the battle system? Everything I see looks like old school Final Fantasy type battles.

Dusk Golem

Kalentan

Just saw this. Really hyped to work in MV. Really love it's 1080p. Though I feel like somethings are going to be scaled up. The text box in general is far too small.

Dusk Golem

Kalentan

From what I can tell, you can change the actual 'resolution', so say if I had a 544x416 window, I could have that 'upscaled' to an HD resolution, OR you can develop in said resolution, by changing the window size and the tile-size (you could have a 1080p game with 48x48 tile sprites, but everything would look so tiny!). The tile-size, screen resolution, and window resolution all are completely customizable, which is nice~

How do I change the actual resolution? Mine just makes the window view larger so it shows more of the map.

Although I do imagine the upscale will look very blurry.

Dusk Golem

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Posting so I can join in the discussion when I get home Sunday. Already installed MV last night, so I'm excited to dive in!

MrHoot

Very nice, just in time for the release of MV !

A lot of plugins for MV seems interesting. Although I'll be waiting for solutions that can make alternative combat systems (similar to LISA, or Undertale for example, where you can have some form of minigames for attacks). After I'm done with 1 or 2 games here, i'm very much thinking in going into an MV project as it has phone support and you can do pretty cool stuff with it

I bought it but I am in the middle of two vxace projects I need to finish up before jumping into this one. Glad there is a community thread now. 😊

Dusk Golem

Myriadis

I should give the MX a try, I actually recently played with the 2000 version again. Maybe I can even post some pics from a project I did before I stopped altogether.

However, I want to recommend another great game that definitely left some impression on me.

Space Funeral
spacefun5a1rxfz.png

A fairly surrealist RPG where blood is basically the main component and you play some boy whose main power is crying, accompied by the leg of a horse. With only a playtime of about 60-120 minutes (depending on how much you want to explore), it's absolutely worth checking out and always throws something new and strange every few minutes at you. The atmosphere it creates is something absolutely unique, everything works so well together, something I don't see in many other Maker projects.

Of special note though is the soundtrack. Not original, but it uses a lot of very interesting componists, and it made me appreciate Japanese Psychedelic Rock, the Doctor Who Soundtrack and Willy DeVille.

I'll be honest here, I feel like I just can't talk much about the game without feeling like spoiling something, so you should simply give it yourself a try.

Dusk Golem

Reishiki

Banned
I've always wanted to make a game in RPG Maker, but I'm really bad at art and only so good at programming. I'll probably still get MV, though...

Dusk Golem

Some kind of review from me.

Finally a worthy successor since RPG Maker 2003. I didn't like XP, VX and VX Ace.
Their only strength was scripting, being able to customize the engine... which required programming Ruby. Also higher resolution but I couldn't give two shits about that.
VX did everything wrong, VX Ace fixed and added a Character Maker, cool right? Not really, it wasn't THAT huge. You could have used RPG Maker XP it might have been better anyway.

And then I tried RPG Maker MV Trial. It's finally good, finally had something to be unique and worked on its greatest strengths:
- Simplicity: Focuses on what it did best since the first RPG Maker, and adds more depth to it while still being simple enough. (More layers, more stats, etc...)
- Complexity, if you want to: There's no script editor. You have to edit your files via your prefered script editor, which is now JavaScript instead of Ruby shit. But then that requires programming knowledge... but then they finally thought of something for people who wanted to customize more things...
- Community: The best part, the Plugin System. Community can make scripts as a plugin. AND IT'S GOOD, just copy the files and then you set the plugin, and enable it. Not to mention the community can make more assets of any kind for others, one of the greatest strengths of RPG Maker since the start :D

I'm finally happy, they finally did a RPG Maker that's not XP/VX/VX Ace-like. MV IS GOOD.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I loved using RPG Maker back in the day. Maybe I should get back into it just for fun. I don't know why but I've always been partial to 2k despite all the improvements in later versions.

Subscribing so I don't forget about this thread.

Finally a worthy successor since RPG Maker 2003. I didn't like XP, VX and VX Ace.D.
That's a very promising statement.

A community thread !

i don't know how i'll feel going from RPg maker 2000 to MV , but i guess i'll do that jump ...

Exporting to android and html broswer were the things that made me consider this. Hopefully the new games will make this community thread go to the next level.

Falk

that puzzling face
- Community: The best part, the Plugin System. Community can make scripts as a plugin. AND IT'S GOOD, just copy the files and then you set the plugin, and enable it. Not to mention the community can make more assets of any kind for others, one of the greatest strengths of RPG Maker since the start :D

I think this is really the largest leap forward in RPGM's history. Put another way, it's not so much interest in extending RPGMaker, but the ease of doing it. The way plugins integrate into the main deal pretty much extends MV as a development environment, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq9q7WcDVI&feature=youtu.be

Color me impressed.

Sakura

Haven't been hearing very good things about MV.
Downloading the trial to try for myself. Wish I knew Javascript :S

Stuart444

Subbed. RPG Maker is fun to mess about with. I meant to do something more proper with Ace but lots of personal/health stuff stopped me. :(

Might look into MV next year at some point when I have the money but subbed anyway to keep an eye on what people do/discuss in here :)

Where can I change the sfx for a battle animation? In the Animations tab it plays a sound when you preview it, but I can't find anywhere to change it.

Also is it possible to add more Music and Sound Types in the System tab?

Haven't been hearing very good things about MV.
Downloading the trial to try for myself. Wish I knew Javascript :S

What have you heard? So far I've only heard good things about improvements from VX Ace.

Sakura

Where can I change the sfx for a battle animation? In the Animations tab it plays a sound when you preview it, but I can't find anywhere to change it.

Also is it possible to add more Music and Sound Types in the System tab?

What have you heard? So far I've only heard good things about improvements from VX Ace.

Lots of people complaining about bugs and stuff. Don't know how accurate it is though.

Evilisk

Huh the timing of this OT is pretty convenient. I've actually been working on something (I'm even gonna be working on the story for NaNoWriMo in November), though I can't show much since it's all just the default graphics atm (they're still placeholder).

I've also been trawling through a bunch of RPG Maker games. Just to see how others have used the tools and how I can use them in my own game. I guess now I'll have somewhere to post my impressions

Anyway, I actually dabbled a bit with XP (or at least the free trial) years ago and one of the older ones. I remembered it being super fun and I figured that since I had a copy of VX Ace, and had been tossing around a lot of game ideas that could work in RPG Maker, I might as well use it (actually I think I got my copy from you, Dusk Golem, in that contest/LP bingo from back then. In case I'm not wrong, I just want to say thanks again)

As for MV, I might consider getting it later on. It seems like it'd be great to jump in now (since I'm still basically learnig VX Ace) but I'm gonna hold out on a cheaper price and I still have to wait for people to come up with scripts for it anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've never actually completed a game with RPG Maker. I started way back with the 95 and had the PSX version. Moved on to 2000 and 2003, didn't pick it up again until VX was on Steam. I bought MV right away. HTML5 / mobile support really sold me.

Reszo

I can't wait to use MV. But I think the same thing is going to happen that usually happens. I get my characters, story, battle system, and scripts together and organized but I never complete the game lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can't to use MV. But I think the same thing is going to happen that usually happens. I get my characters, story, battle system, and scripts together and organized but I never complete the game lol.

Obviously you're missing music.

No game is complete without music.

:^)

Kalentan

Anyone know if there is a script or something in MV to make proximity events? I would love to have it so when a character gets close with 1 event rather than having events around the area to give the same effect.

Reishiki

Banned
You can improve through practice and there's enough public assets that get made, maybe find someone to work with. But I say, instead of coming up with reasons why you shouldn't do it, come up with reasons why you should, and go from there. Nothing starts unless you give yourself the push to start it.

This is indeed very true. MV is on the post-payday list at least, I might be able to build that mecha-focused sci-fi RPG I've always wanted to make.

ZeroX03

Banned
Great community thread! Glad people are jumping onto MV!

Anyone know if there is a script or something in MV to make proximity events? I would love to have it so when a character gets close with 1 event rather than having events around the area to give the same effect.

There's not a script as of yet. Yanfly has something similar in proximity with his Event Chase Player script but it won't do what you want. What you can do is have a parallel event on the page that checks the player's map location, attributes it to a variable and then activates when the two variable is within range of the event. Obviously it'll only work on static events and doesn't really save any time, it's just makes the map less clogged.

Such scripts existed in VX Ace so it should be very easily possible in MV.

This is indeed very true. MV is on the post-payday list at least, I might be able to build that mecha-focused sci-fi RPG I've always wanted to make.

There are scifi assets and a few mech-esque enemies provided with MV! Not enough to make a full game, but certainly suitable for temp assets that look nice.

Dusk Golem

I doubt I'll ever have the patience and/or dedication to produce anything in RPG Maker, but I still really enjoy its output. I've played a reasonable selection of games made from it, though my favourites are still the more well-known titles that I played initially (like Ib and especially The Witch's House).

Anyway, great thread. Will follow to see what other games get mentioned, though I have a fairly lengthy backlog of RPG Maker stuff to check out as it is.

Witch's House has a book written that sold pretty well, etc.
I'm a big enough fan that I actually bought this, despite being unable to read it! Luckily there's a translation for it.

Mory Dunz

Oh, there's a community thread? Nice.

My experience is mostly rpg maker 2003 and xp, and I've done mostly fan games. So that's my bio.

Hopefully the community here gets big.

I doubt I'll ever have the patience and/or dedication to produce anything in RPG Maker, but I still really enjoy its output.

Yeah, you really have to force yourself at some point. Even the most fun games to work on reach that point where you just don't feel like it.

Luigi87

That's the default systems and what many people want, but there's been a lot of others created.

Here's a video showing off several battle systems

There's some scripts people have made for a Chrono Trigger-like system, for an SRPG field system, some have made beat-em-up's with RPG Maker like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlN1Sjr44I4

All of this requires some scripting, though the community is big and there's some publicly available scripts for different battle systems for anyone to use for the older engines, and MV soon but it just came out.
Holy crap, people can script all those various battle systems in RPG Maker? @_@

udivision

Holy crap, people can script all those various battle systems in RPG Maker? @_@

The battle system is one of the most important parts (if not the most) of an RPG game, and by extent, and RPG Maker game. Once you become an intermediate RPG Maker user, you typically pass on using the default battle system or at least make some modifications to it.

This is a modification of the Tankentai Script for RPG Maker XP. In this edit, we used eventing and scripting to further alter the battle system to emulate Mario RPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T9qcr5Iks

Li Kao

Mmh, I have VX from the Humble sale a while back. In an ideal world where I have the courage to face the task of creating something resembling a game and find a solution to my total uselessness concerning art and code... so a very theoretical question indeed... is there some way to make a mobile app out of the final project or is MV necessary ?
You understand that with such a low probability of doing something, MV is a little on the pricey side in my case.

Though I must admit that...
You can improve through practice and there's enough public assets that get made, maybe find someone to work with. But I say, instead of coming up with reasons why you shouldn't do it, come up with reasons why you should, and go from there. Nothing starts unless you give yourself the push to start it.
...is quite the motivation speak, thank you Dusk Golem.

Falk

that puzzling face
The battle system is one of the most important parts (if not the most) of an RPG game, and by extent, and RPG Maker game. Once you become an intermediate RPG Maker user, you typically pass on using the default battle system or at least make some modifications to it.

The default battle system for RPGMaker since forever has always suffered information overload. Extremely slow number popping, lines upon lines of text, descriptors for everything. It's almost as if they're expecting people using RPGMaker to use it for debugging.

A lot of fat has to be trimmed to even get battles to be fun to play, rather than tedious.

Wanace

The default battle system for RPGMaker since forever has always suffered information overload. Extremely slow number popping, lines upon lines of text, descriptors for everything. It's almost as if they're expecting people using RPGMaker to use it for debugging.

A lot of fat has to be trimmed to even get battles to be fun to play, rather than tedious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq9q7WcDVI

Yanfly's Battle Engine Core takes care of this right off the bat.

I'm more interested in using MV to make a visual novel, so far it seems pretty good at that too.

MrHoot

One thing for sure, after Lisa, Undertale, Barkley Shut Up and Jam and even big mainstream stuff like Persona or Pokemon, it's gonna be important to come up with an original gimmick for battle systems so that it's not just regular turn based

Top Bottom