• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

ZeroX03

Banned
It makes me sad when I mention RPG Maker and everyone immediately assumes it's a poorly made game and that's the engine's fault.

MV has a lot of potential to make great 2D RPGs*. Not many games will live up to that potential, and it's a shame that people will assume it doesn't exist as a result.

*within a pretty specific framework obviously

Sölf

It makes me sad when I mention RPG Maker and everyone immediately assumes it's a poorly made game and that's the engine's fault.

MV has a lot of potential to make great 2D RPGs*. Not many games will live up to that potential, and it's a shame that people will assume it doesn't exist as a result.

*within a pretty specific framework obviously

If you want, you can create really good games. One of the best german RPG Maker 2000 games is currently being remade in VX Ace and it's also planned for international release. It just takes time, since the guy is more or less working alone on it. The thing is, the 2k version is probably better than most commercial games. I don't even know why so many "crap" games get released on Steam which really are nothing more than that. Yet the really good ones get no attention because of this outside of the RPG Maker community. And that's just a shame.

bomblord1

Banned
Since MV can output to browsers would it be possible to then take that game and use Nintendo's HTML5 framework to make it run on the wiiU?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

bomblord1

Banned
Curious if I could get some feedback on this

I've recently purchased and have been playing around with RPG Maker MV. Which has the nifty ability to export the game to a web based format. I've exported and tested some stuff and it appears to work great.

I'm considering purchasing a domain/hosting and uploading my "builds" to a web server for people to access through their web browser. I would do this literally every time I finished working on something for the day.

The idea would be to have players part of every part of the design process from conception to release (think early access on steroids). And also for casual players to have the joy of discovering something new on a weekly or maybe even daily basis. (I would be doing this in my free time)

My questions are mainly.
1. Would people be interested in this?
2. Is this technically feasible (I can't see any reason why it wouldn't I've verified it opens from a directory in a web browser)?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not a "how do I do this?" idea, but more of a idea I wanted to run by you guys.

A "Tug-o-War Mana Meter" is what I call it.

Basically envision this, you have a single meter comprised of ten bars---the left five can either be red (filled) or dark (empty), while the right five can either be blue (filled) or clear (empty).

Using offensive techniques causes the red meter to deplete by a set amount, and the blue meter to fill by a set amount. Using support techniques and magic causes the blue meter to deplete by a set amount, and the red meter to fill by a set amount. Thus you'll never completely run out of one set of your mana, but you'll need to mix it up or you'll run out of red or blue energy to use your best moves/spells.

Also the increase/decrease is related to the power of the technique/magic---powerful techniques greatly reduces the red meter, and barely fills the blue meter. Likewise powerful magic greatly reduces the blue meter, and barely fills the red meter. Your weaker techniques/spells on the other hand take less meter and fill the other meter more, thus weaker moves have a point to be kept.

Alternatively the basic "free" Attack and Guard options can be used to balance things out, Attack decreases red by one and increases blue by one, and Guard decreases blue by one and increases red by one. Thus magic-based characters will occasionally need to use weaker attacks to recharge, and likewise physical characters will occasionally need to take a break from attacking and Guard. This discourages simply spamming the strongest move over and over.

Adding to the mix is your three party members (only one is out at a time) share the same bar, however each party member has a pre-set bar that the fight will begin with if they're the lead party member. A mage, for example, begins with a lot of blue but little red, able to use their best magic right away but then requiring the player to take a "time out" and either use basic attacks to refill the blue meter, or switch to a physical fighter who can make use of the red.

Does that sound like an interesting, viable, and perhaps "fun" system? The main point of it is it provides a unique way of mana conservation (you never completely run out requiring a return to home/an inn/base nor carrying items) where each fight changes based on how you use your mana, but in the big picture you don't have to be stingy with how you use it while venturing through a long dungeon.

My questions are mainly.
2. Is this technically feasible (I can't see any reason why it wouldn't I've verified it opens from a directory in a web browser)?

That sounds like a fun idea, but I'm not technical know-it-all but would all the resources be able to be stored on the web easily?

bomblord1

Banned
It actually does work on a technical level and I have it up and running. Problem is I'm neither a writer nor an artist so I've about hit a wall in development where the stuff I want to do is beyond my ability to achieve it.

Your ideas sound engaging at the very least it could definitely be fun.

udivision

It actually does work on a technical level and I have it up and running. Problem is I'm neither a writer nor an artist so I've about hit a wall in development where the stuff I want to do is beyond my ability to achieve it.

Your ideas sound engaging at the very least it could definitely be fun.

I've thought of doing something like that... but it really depends on the type of game.

A normal RPG might be annoying to play if you keep running into unfinished parts.

Sölf

Completely missed that his thread was bumped. xD

Curious if I could get some feedback on this

I've recently purchased and have been playing around with RPG Maker MV. Which has the nifty ability to export the game to a web based format. I've exported and tested some stuff and it appears to work great.

I'm considering purchasing a domain/hosting and uploading my "builds" to a web server for people to access through their web browser. I would do this literally every time I finished working on something for the day.

The idea would be to have players part of every part of the design process from conception to release (think early access on steroids). And also for casual players to have the joy of discovering something new on a weekly or maybe even daily basis. (I would be doing this in my free time)

My questions are mainly.

This could be somewhat interesting, but that hardly depends on how you work your games. For example, if you do much stuff inside the database, like creating items, spells and monsters, people won't see most of this. If you create many maps, people may be able to walk through them, but not do anything on said maps. If you do everything at the same time as you progress through the story, people can actually do stuff, but you will only finish small parts at a time (I work like that btw).

It can be fun to watch a game grow like that, but if all you see are additional maps without anything in it besides the mapping or you "see" no progress at all because it's all behind the scenes, I would be bored as hell.

@Watch Da Birdie:
That sounds actually interesting. I would give it a shot.

I am currently working with someone on a contest on a german site. We use a heavily modded RM2K with some MV graphics and other stuff. The whole thing will be in german, but if we actually manage to finish that we may show some screens.

My questions are mainly.

When making a game you may not be working on it in exactly the same order as the player would complete it. You might want to build maps that a player can't access yet or adjust something you thought you finished weeks ago. If your intentions are to let people save their games and continue them when you push updates, you could run into a lot of problems.
If your game has non-default mechanics, maybe you could set up a "demo room" of sorts and have that updated regularly. For example, I set up a demo for a plugin I was working on last year that you can play online: https://luciusaxelrod.github.io/LAX_Plugins/demo/
If you like the idea of people playing along with the game as you create it, it might be better to make your game episode with short chapters. This would make it more difficult for players to lose their save and to know how far they can make it in the current version.

A "Tug-o-War Mana Meter" is what I call it....

I really like the idea, but I think it might need a good thematic explanation to go along with it. How were you planning on explaining to the player that magic/attacking works the way it does?

Watch Da Birdie

My idea for the Party Members were they were spirits summoned by the player, thus explaining why they'd share the same meter.

I was thinking it'd be the "Spirit Meter", with the red half representing rage and the blue half representing wisdom of the player that would be transmitted to their spirits. Basically letting off a bit of steam to clear your mind (weak physical attack = boost in wisdom), or letting your brain take a break (weak spell = boost in rage), so you balance your spirit out. So to speak. At least that's how I'd justify it, I feel that's a decent enough explanation? Likewise giving in to your rage too much through really strong attacks would let off a lot of steam, but you wouldn't gain wisdom quite as fast because you gave in to your primal instincts. Does that make sense?

Another idea on this same note was that the player character is the one who wears the equipment which is transmitted to the summoned Party Members, because I really don't like equipping my entire team in RPGs (often it means just buying the same best item available every time you reach a new town for everyone) and I thought it'd be fun having to pick equipment that effects your entire team simultaneously and how to balance that.

Of course these are all ideas I've been bouncing around for awhile now, nothing solid yet.

Sölf

"Hm, I want to play one of my games again."

*starts a new save file*

*starts adding new stuff to the game*

Well, only a single quest so far, but let's see what happens when I get to the end of the current version! xD

Fou-Lu

I've just started making a prototype for a short game idea I like. It could easily be the prologue to a larger game but I am going small for now. I am only using assests built into RPG Maker VX because well... I can't do art. I have written a couple of small scripts for little things I wanted (bubbles over following party members, a sound playing as text spells out). Mostly I can do what I want with events though, it's mostly going to be one dungeon delve with battles that don't respawn, a bit of mystery solving and Zelda-like puzzles (moveable blocks, switchs, pits you can fall through, that kind of thing). So far I have the opening cutscene and the initial map before entering the dungeon.

I am trying to set up that scene as one where you can start to notice that examining objects can change what you notice about other objects.

Sölf

You most likely won't understand anything, but I uploaded the last demo of my current MV game to the Steam workshop. The whole game is in german though, so... yeah~

If you want to take a look (nothing fancy and mostly Yanfly plugins xD):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792923655

The game is the continuation of Rivalry btw, which I made as a testing project for the VX Ace back when I bought it. And that one was translated into english. Gameplay is just totally different, because "Kameradschaft" (Basically "Camaraderies", "Companionship", "Fellowship" or something similar) plays more like a "regular" RPG whereas Rivalry is basically the same, but the whole game is condensed into a single dungeon.

That aside, I actually finished a scene today that needed to be done to continue with this game. The next town and an optional dungeon afterwards were already done and I started work on the next main dungeon. The scene was still missing, because it was the moment that would later on connect the last demo with a later one. So, the scene is done, game can now be played without using teleport hacks. \o/

Sölf

Anyone in here who can program plugins, has way too much free time and wants to create a plugin for a dynamic shop (and dynamic chests) for me? :D

Sölf

I feel so lonely, being the only one who pushes this thread. D:

Anyway, I made a thing. This time it's even in english (and I shamelessly copy/pasted this from another forum):

Dungeon Delver

Hello there, forum folks! I present to you a very early demo of this game. I had the idea for it early this year, but because I didn't get a plugin for a dynamic shop, I shelved the whole game. Well, I still don't have exactly what I wanted, but I managed to do various workarounds. So, here it is: Dungeon Delver!

This game is a Roguelike. There is no story or anything. You just traverse a dungeon, again and again and again. 

hjk2xZh.png

At the start of each dungeon run, you decide which class you want to pick. This version gives you access to 3 out of 12 planned classes. After you've chosen a class you enter the "Shop Area". No matter if you finish a dungeon run or fail midway:
You will lose everything. Except your money. Your money can be used here, either to get an early start or to fully equip yourself and not be dependant on the randomness of the dungeon. However, those things are pretty expensive, so you probably can't do that every run.

Each class gets access to 10 skills, 1 of them they have already learned. You get 1 JP per level up and need them to learn these skills. Each class has 5 regular skills (1 JP), 2 stronger skills (2 JP) and 3 passive skills (3 JP). Later on you also get access to brown chests which can give you skill scrolls. Skill scrolls can teach you new skills, so a mage could learn healing spells or a warrior could get access to magic.

The dungeon itself is semi random. The rooms itself always look the same, but what's in there may change. Take the screen above for example. The enemy you see there will always appear. However, 2 more enemies could spawn in this room. Also, the chest there? May not be there when you enter this room. Or it may spawn a second chest. Also, one other important aspect:
You can never return to a previous map. You can only move forward. Sometimes you may get access to more than 1 path, so you have to choose which one you want to take. And other times, one of those paths may be blocked, so you are forced to take the one that is not blocked.

Last but not least, the game offers many achievements, which unlock stuff similar to The Binding of Isaac. You can unlock pretty much everything with them:
New classes, new items, new enemies or even completely new game mechanics. Because the game is currently so short you probably won't see that much, but I have plans for some really interesting things to unlock.

Finally, here is the download (Version 0.2):

https://www.mediafire.com/?1q6yi3dc3aprli2

The game is in a pretty early stage. While I have plans for many things, I would like to get some early feedback. Maybe the whole concept is just not good or you don't get enough rewards at a good pace. Which I think could be increased a bit, it's too slow at the moment imo. No idea how much time you can spent with this. A single dungeon run only takes 5-10 minutes at the moment, so you have probably seen enough of the game after 30-60 minutes of playing.

Oh, yeah, credits are available in a credits.txt that comes with the download. But everyone else:

Scripts:
SkottyTV / DragonPC
Yanfly
Iavra
HIME

Graphics:
Avery

Music:
Wingless Seraph / YouFulca

So, that's it. Have fun!

Wray

So would this software be a good choice if I wanted to make an old school Fire Emblem style game? I want to make a Jrpg that has Fire Emblem or Pools of Radiance "Gold Box" style combat.

Would doing that be easier in a different game maker engine?

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Wray

Thx Dusk Golem. Yes pls could u post those links when u get a chance. I have some basic xp with RPG maker a long time ago. But I never got into scripts and anything serious though.

However, I did do a bunch of script and cutscene work in the Neverwinter Nights editor way back in the day.

Sölf

That sounds quite interesting. The one thing I really don't like though are the walls, as you can't really make out a ceiling and it just looks weird to me. But maybe that's just me and it's probably to late anyways to change this aspect of the game now. xD

Would you describe this game as horror or something else? I mean, it certainly looks like it has horror elements, but I mean more in terms of... well, simply a horror/unsettling/strange atmosphere vs. plain jump scares. xD

Dusk Golem

Wray

Dusk, I have the last version already. Haven't picked up the newest one yet. So prolly old version is best to me.

What are the main advantages and new features that make the newest worth getting?

Guys, my partner is putting the finishing touches on balance in a game we've been working on for 4 years.

Can't wait to show you.

Dusk Golem

Sölf

Guys, my partner is putting the finishing touches on balance in a game we've been working on for 4 years.

Can't wait to show you.

Huh, neat.

But man, I have so many games I made over the years and all of them are in german. Which sucks, as I would love to show you some of them. xD

Wray

Dusk, thank you very much for all that info. That was above and beyond being helpful :)

I'm bookmarking that post.

Sölf

I am not really sure how to handle weapons and enemies in the game I linked a few posts back. I am using really low stats and a simple ATK - DEF = Damage formula.

However, weapons currently are nothing more than stat sticks (maybe a bit more later on). Enemies are specific to a certain floor of the dungeon. I am not sure if I should just let it be like this or change it a bit. The alternative would be to make unique weapons with effects (which would bring a whole new set of problems) and to have all enemies (or at least most) appear everywhere. This would definitly make new unlocked enemies more interesting, but then you woul also be required to kill all enemies at the start of the game and still have a sort of challenge even after getting stronger. With enemies fixed to certain floors I can at least assume the player got a bit stronger (even if he was fucked by the RNG).

Sölf

I present you Dungeon Delver 0.2. For more info on Dungeon Delver, read this post.

Demo Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?1q6yi3dc3aprli2

Changes and additions:
- The game got a really tiny story, but it should satisfy those who don't like that the game had none at all before.
- The second area has been added, which increases the length of a single dungeon run from ~5+ to ~10-15+ minutes.
- 7 out of 12 classes are now playable (previous version had 3).
- A intro has been added and the tutorial can now be skipped. The tutorial also had a few changes with the dialogue.
- 7 new enemies have been added (1 to the first area, 6 in the second).
- 5 new bosses have been added (all in the second area)
- Affixes have been implemented. At the moment 5 exist and all can be unlocked. Once all 5 have been unlocked you also get the ability to deactive them for gold.
- Many new achievements have been added. Nearly all can already be unlocked (only exceptions are the ones where you have to finish an area with all 12 classes).

This version now actually can be called a small game. There are several things I am not that happy with in this version, but some of my fears may actually disappear when I add even more areas and the difficulty increases with more and stronger affixes. What I am not happy with:

- Armor seems to strong. I may have to change it so that the first few armos give HP instead of DEF.
- Weapons feel either to weak or to strong, depending on what weapon you get and when. Got a strong weapon early on? Enemies pose no threat. Don't get an upgrade? Enemies and especially bosses live way to long. Maybe change the weapon system so that I only have unique weapons? That would come with a whole bunch of other problems though.
- Many enemies seem weak if you get some gear, but could prove unkillable if RNG fucks you over. Affixes help making them not so weak, but I am not completely sure if I should maybe change the whole system similar to the weapon system. At the moment each area has unique enemies, the farther you get the stronger and more complex enemies become. With more and more gear unlocked as well as permanent stat boost the first enemies turn into no threats though.

Anyways, if anyone of you guys has maybe an hour or two, I would appreciate some feedback.

------------------

Edit:

Found a bug, that may lead to a blocked path, so you are forced to reset. Please replace the maps 29 and 34 with these two, they can be found in the www/data folder:

http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-26740/map029.json

http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-26739/map034.json

TheSun

Dang, always wanted to start my own game on this.

Been playing around in the 3D dungeon engine and the regular ass version.

Stuff is complicated but hopefully I am able to get my ideas realized. Lisa the Painful RPG inspired me into using RPG maker.

Watch Da Birdie

I'll probably play around with this for a few days and forget about it but, damn, that's a good deal...bought.

MV is 65% off on steam. Should I get this when I already have VX Ace? I've logged in about 40 hours but never finished my project. I really want to get back in to doing a completely new thing. I've taken graphic design courses since then and I want to make my own artwork. So would it be worth getting or should I stick to what I have?
(Link)

Sölf

MV is 65% off on steam. Should I get this when I already have VX Ace? I've logged in about 40 hours but never finished my project. I really want to get back in to doing a completely new thing. I've taken graphic design courses since then and I want to make my own artwork. So would it be worth getting or should I stick to what I have?
(Link)

I would say it depends on what you want to do. MV uses Javascript instead of Ruby/RGSS, so coding is a bit different, whether it's easier or harder would be up to you (that is, if you even plan to code yourself). You also get the ability to release your games directly on a website or, with a bit of work, on a mobile device (don't ask me how though, I only know that it's possible).

Aside from that, I would say it's your usual maker. Some improvements, some, well, deprovements, different size for tilesets and characters etc. Overall, I do prefer the MV, but the one thing the VX Ace has over the MV is the vast amount of free and commercial ressources you could buy. So unless you can create your own graphics or prefer one of the standard graphic sets over the other, the VX Ace definitly wins in that regard.

Has anyone here bought the FES? I only saw videos and it didn't look good. Way too limited, not much ressources to use and some crucial stuff is just missing (like common events, parallel process events, events during battle or fucking autotiles).

What up fam, I'm thinking about buying RPG Maker to mess around with as a hobby, is there any reason not to go with MV (besides the price, which I'm cool with)?

I've always loved level editors and this seems like a logical progression. Is that about right? Are there any other (relatively well respected and also relatively simple) game makers I should look at as well?

^^ just noticed there's a good answer to a lot of my question right above me, cheers

ZeroX03

Banned
Is RPG Maker MV worth it?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software?partner=Kinja

$50 is a bit steep, so I'm wondering if the $15 bundle is the better choice.

What do you want to use it for?

For just casual use, fooling around and playing with old games made by the community you’re fine with the $15 Bundle. Hell if you just want to dip your toes, VX Ace for $1 is great.

If you want to do more advanced stuff, beyond what the base engine might allow and deliver the game as a professional product or at least port to mobile, MV is where it’s at. Granted I’m a little out of date, but I doubt MV has gotten anything but better as new scripts have released.

Sölf

What do you want to use it for?

For just casual use, fooling around and playing with old games made by the community you’re fine with the $15 Bundle. Hell if you just want to dip your toes, VX Ace for $1 is great.

If you want to do more advanced stuff, beyond what the base engine might allow and deliver the game as a professional product or at least port to mobile, MV is where it’s at. Granted I’m a little out of date, but I doubt MV has gotten anything but better as new scripts have released.

This.

The one really big thin the VX Ace has over the MV is just the sheer amount of scripts and ressources. While the MV nowadays has much more than 2 years ago when it was released, it is still lacking in that regard. I would say, if you just want to test stuff, the VX Ace for 1$ is more than enough.

I really hope RPG Maker is easily compatible with VN Maker when it comes out next month. I'd love to be able to do a VN with traditional RPG battles.

finalhour

I have a couple of extra keys from the humble bundle for RPGMaker VX Ace and RPGMaker XP if anyone wants them. Quote to reveal.

VX Ace

XP

Top Bottom