• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG town music is underrated. Post your favorites. (Traverse Town the GOAT tho)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everyone loves a good battle theme thread. Everyone loves a good boss music thread. World map music gets a lot of love, too. But what about town music? The peaceful meanderings of towns are a lot less exciting than the rest of RPGs, true. But talking to NPCs, shopping, and taking in the non-oppressive atmosphere is a nice breather, and I'd even argue that it's necessary as a palate cleanser between the exploratory nature of the world map or the engaging nature of the battles. But what really makes or breaks a town is the music!

Motoi Sakuraba and Yoko Shimomura are the reigning king and queen of town music, I think.

Shimomura:

Super Mario RPG: Hello, Happy Kingdom
d5c3a614bfyNT.png

This is such an upbeat and happy theme. It fits very well as an introduction to the bright, colorful, and slightly weird world of Mario.

Kingdom Hearts: Traverse Town

This is the coziest, homiest theme in any game that I can think of. It personifies the low key, dimly lit atmosphere of the town itself almost perfectly.

Kingdom Hearts II: Lazy Afternoons

Ok, this might be cozier. This is such a relaxing theme. My favorite part about it is that it only plays when you visit the town as Roxas, and changes to a happier theme when you start playing as Sora. In this manner, it becomes attached to his character, and the lazy yet heartwarming vibe couldn't represent Roxas's idealized life any better.

Sakuraba:

Golden Sun: Imil

This is such a beautiful theme. Most winter wonderlands utilize bells of some sort, but this one doesn't. It's so low key and inviting. It makes you want to curl up in front of a fireplace and drink some hot tea while watching the snow fall outside your window.

Star Ocean 2: Pure a Steam

Again, Sakuraba blesses us with an insanely beautiful theme. This one, much like most of his SO2 OST, has a mystical, otherworldly feel to it.

Star Ocean 3: Rust Color

For a change of pace, we have a theme that is less upbeat and more on the sad and melancholy side. The title of the song describes it very well - it brings to mind images of a rustic, homely, possibly poverty-stricken town, and also brings to mind the colors of brown and red, which, incidentally and fittingly, describes the town that it plays in.

What are some of your favorite town themes?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'll rep the Wild Arms' town themes. Town and Port Town are excellent tracks, in a soundtrack full of superb tunes.
Love those. "Town" is probably my all-time favourite town music. I like the Elw village theme too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CqmhtBfJI

Other great ones:
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Zoah

Suikoden - Forgotten Days (secret rune village)

Suikoden II - Imprisoned Town (Greenhill)

Suikoden II - We Are Number Wuff (Kobold village)

Xenogears - Dazil, City of Burning Sands (for kicks, compare it to the Loreena McKennitt song Marco Polo... came out the same year too xD)

And I always liked the standard FFIV town theme:
FF IV - Welcome to our Town
And of course Fabul was cool too. And while the in-game song kind of annoyed me, the Celtic Moon version of Mystic Mysidia was kinda neat.

The lack of "Kids Run Through The City Corner" from Final Fantasy VI happening in the OT is criminal.
Here's the amazing Grand Finale version (skipped the intro bit)
Y'know... much as I loooove FFVI's OST, I never cared much for that one. Just sounds too "generic peaceful town". It's OK, just not great.

I prefer the theme of Thamasa (which is also Strago's theme), because it sounds mysterious and weird, and the Magic House (Jidoor's theme in World of Ruins) for similar reasons. And of course Slam Shuffle, but that's more of a dungeon than a town, I guess.

Jezan

Xenobalde X spoilers porbably:
though there is almost nothing to do there, it counts because it's inside NLA. whenever I will customize my party I go there just to listen to the music.

Also Tales of Symphonia Altamira

Top Bottom