• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG town music is underrated. Post your favorites. (Traverse Town the GOAT tho)

I'll throw a few in...

Frontier Village - Xenoblade
Jaunty flute and accordion goodness that hits me right in a personal sweetspot.

On the Other Side of the Mirage/Yormgen - Tales of Vesperia
Sakuraba can fall into a trap of rather samey sounding town themes due to the amount of stuff he has to put out, I mean they're still good and a number of his pieces in the Tales and Golden Sun series are favourites of mine, this one though always felt more out there than the usual with its mysterious and sombre tone.
A quick mention for Asgard from Symphonia while I'm on this series.

Fourside - Earthbound
I first heard this track years ago with its SSB Melee remix and honestly I never dug it that much. So it was surprising when I finally played through Earthbound around a year or so ago just how much I ended up digging the same theme in its original form.

Not really an RPG but Monte d'Or: Carnival Night - Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Yup, It's Layton music

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll keep it short and post a recent one I really loved. Legram, Lakeshore Town from Trails of Cold Steel 1
This is probably the best recent one. It instantly calls to mind knights and medieval castles. Glad to see all the Vesperia love in here, too. Dahngrest, Aspio and Yormgen are all amazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Resonance of Fate - Ebel City - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG6amM0I-fA
By the same guy who did Alundra's OST, Kouhei Tanaka, superior in all ways and very homey sounding.

Final Fantasy II - Town - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxBYMFPRC4
Oldie but goodie. I learned this song through Theatrhythm Curtain Call. Amazing 8-bit piece.

Came here for Hometown Domina. The GOAT

Well if this counts as a town piece:

Sparkling Ruined City - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xevd898bCyg
( Though I like the Drammatica version much more - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLr70_t71c )

Then this song probably beats all... and is GOAT, heh.

FStubbs

I'm on DQ7 OST blackout but the DQ6 town themes are otherworldly good. The symphonic version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsR3-wg1yg

DQ2 and DQ8 shone as well:

DQ 2 town theme
DQ8 town theme
DQ 9 Observatory (hey, it was sort of a town)

Trails in the Sky

Seaport Ruan - Once or twice I would enter town and just let the music play.

Suikoden 3

Duck Village

Secret of Mana

I forgot the name of this town but it's early in the game

Wild Arms 1

Aldehyde Castle Town

Radiata Stories

The bad part of town? - is this cheating?

Other great ones:

Suikoden II - Imprisoned Town (Greenhill)

Yessssssssssss! I was going to say this one (with the force of a thousand nostalgia hearts). So haunting and good. I usually throw this one on loop while I'm working.

Also: The Mining Town themes

Tinto - a variation of which was also used for the Suikogaiden II opening (see below).

And Tierkreis gets a lot of shit, but I thought the music was pretty memorable:

Mining Town

And I don't care if it's not town music because everyone needs to see these...

Suikogaiden I opening

Suikogaiden II opening (unfortunately a bit blurry...)

Bane

I have to give mention to Traverse Town. I'm not much of a KH fan at all but that music really caught me off guard when I first played it and I still love it today.

Came to post this so, you're pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, FFXIV has good town music too.

Soken is killing it with that game. He's the first person I felt was truly Uematsu's worthy replacement. I'd love to see him do another mainline game if he had the time someday. For town music, I especially love Sultana Dreaming.

Roer, the City of Iron and Steel

Heimdallr, Crimson Imperial Capital

Both from Trails of Cold Steel. Probably not my GOAT choices, but seeing as most of my favorites have already been posted, might as well inject some new challengers.

I love these threads as they give me an excuse to drop phat beats on new ears, and I never run out.

Roer: City of Iron and Steel ~ Trails of Cold Steel 1

Heimdall, the Crimson Imperial Capital

JDK's more sophisticated, cosmopolitan side comes to the surface in their calmer, more laid-back games.

Whispers of Oxenfurt (Inst) ~ Witcher 3

Plaintive, empty, achingly beatiful, shame about flubbing the transitions there, though.

Shibuya Underground District ~ Shin Megami Tensei IV

Yo, I heard you liked cyberpunk and FM.

The City on the Deep Blue Sea ~ Etrian Odyssey III

Koshiro's and Generation 7's best soundtrack (check that bass!)

Not really, but backup is always appreciated!

Here's some more (that I hope keep appearing):

Phenac City ~ Pokemon Colosseum

RECORD SCRATCH!

Town on a River ~ Suikoden V

Miki-Chang retires but the sounds are in good hands.

Guild ~ Breath of Fire III

Have some smooooooooooooooooooth Q-Sound-esque jazz from late 90s Capcom.

Wild Arms - Town

The best i have heard, the best ever.

Wildarmscase.jpg

First thing I thought of.

Xenogears - My Village Is Number One

Legend of Mana - Hometown Domina

Final Fantasy IX - City That Never Sleeps ~ Treno

Top Bottom