• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Grand Theft Auto IV, an appreciation thread.

Horns

I barely touched the multiplayer in IV. It had some interesting gametypes and free roam was fun with a few friends. It just wasn't the meat of the game for me.

I just hope that the MP in GTA V doesn't kick you back to the SP if you're disconnected.

I loved it and its stories.

Gay Tony was the best of the side stories, but I actually enjoyed Lost and Damned as well.

The physics make for great stuff. Running directly at a speeding car, jump before they hit you, watch them clip your feet, and send you 30 feet into the air flipping head over heels.

Muffdraul

All these GTA IV fans in here...it's beautiful. I figured we were a rarer breed around here :lol

I myself am actually a convert. The first time I played GTA IV, I played up to the point where you get the second safehouse and then I didn't touch it for months because I just wasn't feelin' it. I hated the story, I hated the characters, I hated the vibe... I remember I *really* hated the driving, it took me a long time to get a feel for it. It's funny looking back on that, IV's driving has become so second nature to me. Best driving in a non-dedicated racing game bar none. Earlier someone said the driving controls are fine but helicopter controls still suck... well, not if you learn them, like anything else. I can fly a chopper from one end of Algonquin to the other a few feet off the ground at top speed like fucking Luke Skywalker flying the Death Star trench. And all of the characters that I thought were so lame and over the top at first went on to become some of my all time favorites. Life eez komplikated.

Put me up there for finding the driving controls to be excellent. All it takes it a little time to learn. Love switching the car view to first person and just flooring it in my SuperGT and passing between cars down the middle of the road like a hot knife through butta.

Muffdraul

Put me up there for finding the driving controls to be excellent. All it takes it a little time to learn. Love switching the car view to first person and just flooring it in my SuperGT and passing between cars down the middle of the road like a hot knife through butta.

Switching to first person camera was the key for me. I used to only use it when racing because it seemed like the only way I could win. After a while I realized it was stupid to keep switching back to third person afterward. Whenever I watch a GTA vid on youtube or whatever, I'm reminded that apparently I am the only person in the world who prefers first person.

I know exactly what you mean about cutting through traffic between all the cars at top speed. Sometime I switch to the cinematic camera to see if the game is somehow cheating for me, because I feel like "I should not be able to pull this off."

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Always loved this game ever since I took 3 days off work to marathon the shit out of it when it first came out. So many good times I can't even describe it... within the frame of the story and outside of it, just causing havok.

Then the episodes came along and I fell in love with "Arab Money!!"

Whole presentation is tits and R* proves over again they be the shit.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
I love to screw around in the GTA IV environment because of the enhanced physics engine, sublime vehicle handling and intelligent police.

I want to appreciate aspects of the game that I havent already with a friend in multiplayer. I'm time poor so invariably we wind up terrorizing the city rather than pouring chunks of time into discovering new things.

I have the Episodes disc only and I'd love to hear recommendations from others on things to do. The YT vid on the previous page showing a bridge sequence looks great so I'll be going into free play to give this a go soon.

I hope GTA V addresses these problems

Mission Structure - linear missions without alternative means of completing them. many invincible enemies. driving very long distances and having to do it again if you failed (fixed in the episodes). very little interactivity in the missions

consider the bank heist mission for example. you drive to location, watch a cutscene, walk 10 steps to the cash, watch cutscene and then have the fight/chase sequence. in previous GTA games, you would get to play holding people hostage, setting the explosive and getting the money

Lack of interactivity in the world - Very few clothing options or fun weapons. no fun or interactive vehicles.

Interesting locations - partially due to being set in NYC, but there were no outdoor areas, skatepark, race course, giant mountain or interesting indoor locations. there was very little reason to drive anywhere unless you had to do a mission.

Disconnect between story and gameplay - I don't understand why R* went from psycho (Tommy) or goofy (CJ) to the more depressed Niko because the story is so completely disconnected from the gameplay. The serious tone also doesn't work when I'm driving by TW@T and GetALife towers. Also the third act was very weak

technologically, the game is incredibly impressive and although they went a bit overboard with driving, it's still the most enjoyable GTA game thanks to the gameplay mechanics
Actually there is a skate park, it's between little italy and the south st seaport.

dc89

My GF is currently playing this game.

Thing is, it's completely random as she usually hates stuff like this. Hates action movies, hates gangster movies, anything with blood is a no no etc.

She usually plays Mario, LBP, Ratchet & Clank, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton etc basically anything cute.

But GTA IV - she can't get enough of it. She's towards the end now I think.

Pyccko

GTA4 is the only GTA I've bothered to 100%. I fucking love that game.
Never touched the multiplayer, but I've played through the story I think... 6 times? I really don't know why it grabbed me so much more than any other GTA, but I really hope GTAV keeps whatever it was that did it.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
It pisses me off when people say "it hasnt aged well" or "it's hard to look at now".

Are they walking up to walls for some ugly blurred textures or examining some jagged curves on the bumpers of some vehicles?

After loading up a save file, I'm still dazzled by that initial moment when u step outside and the world is buzzing outside going about its business. It just baffles me that people aren't taken by what Rockstar has achieved with that city immersion, unmatched to this day and only to be bettered by GTA V I expect.

There's nothing I enjoy more than enraging the police force and engaging the slo-mo cinematic camera as I'm about to blast through a police road block.

It pisses me off when people say "it hasnt aged well" or "it's hard to look at now".

Are they walking up to walls for some ugly blurred textures or examining some jagged curves on the bumpers of some vehicles?

After loading up a save file, I'm still dazzled by that initial moment when u step outside and the world is buzzing outside going about its business. It just baffles me that people aren't taken by what Rockstar has achieved with that city immersion, unmatched to this day and only to be bettered by GTA V I expect.

There's nothing I enjoy more than enraging the police force and engaging the slo-mo cinematic camera as I'm about to blast through a police road block.

How do you trigger the slo mo cinema cam?

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
On 360, u click in the left analog stick (L3 on PS3?). Of course u need to have the cinematic camera angle set at the time which is either dynamic (hold B or circle) or you can cycle through all cameras to force it on.

The slo-mo is a toggle too.

BigDug13

Only played a couple hours of this game, but the First Person mod I've seen has me really intrigued since it really changes your perspective and how connected you feel to the world. Just waiting for my new laptop to arrive to bother getting it going.

I don't know why Rockstar didn't just make this option available. They went through the trouble of rendering the interiors of vehicles and everything but you never get to see it. It took a player mod to unlock it, then Rockstar's patch broke it again.

Let people experience the city you created through the eyes of the main character, Rockstar!

Hoping the next game has first person view option.

one thing i really liked about gta iv is how conversations inside cars would change if you died so you would not hear the same thing again.

Mxrz

Been replaying it a little lately, too.

The number of cops really hampers the game. It is hard to get a car in a hurry without getting a one-star wanted level. I don't know if this was just an aim at being realistic or sloppy design, but it really bogs the game down. There also seems to be too much traffic at times, which might be realism again, but leads to a lot of annoyance.

A number of the side characters, bosses and quest givers feel a bit generic, at least compared to what was in VC/SA. Brucie and Jacob sort of stand out, but they don't seem to have much to do with you later on.

Not bad by any means. But it'd be nice if GTA5 improves things a bit.

elyetis

Didn't really like the solo, too repetitive, linear missions, etc..

But the multiplayer, part is just one of the best mp experience I got. Free mod, friendly fire on, no cops, no auto aim = freedom. From chase between players to stunt sessions, it's just fantastic. A big part of that is because of the excellent game physics, ragdoll, car handling ( and how dommage affect it ), etc..

I put big hopes in GTA V mp.

Marleyman

Banned
Been replaying it a little lately, too.

The number of cops really hampers the game. It is hard to get a car in a hurry without getting a one-star wanted level. I don't know if this was just an aim at being realistic or sloppy design, but it really bogs the game down. There also seems to be too much traffic at times, which might be realism again, but leads to a lot of annoyance.

A number of the side characters, bosses and quest givers feel a bit generic, at least compared to what was in VC/SA. Brucie and Jacob sort of stand out, but they don't seem to have much to do with you later on.

Not bad by any means. But it'd be nice if GTA5 improves things a bit.

Realism.

Did this game introduce anyone to some new bands they had never heard of?

I'm currently downloading an album by Les Savy Fav, courtesy of the Radio Broker station.

Marleyman

Banned

I'm currently downloading an album by Les Savy Fav, courtesy of the Radio Broker station.

I started listening to Eric Prydz because of Pjanoo. The Guetta/Rowland song also ended up being a favorite of mine for a time because of Vladivostok FM. The Marley station though - pure bliss.

The Marley station though - pure bliss.

ldYmV.jpg

you dont say? =P

just how in the FUCK do you get under Jacobs copter in the final mission?! Ive tried half a dozen times and my boat isnt fast enough. Im rushing that whole firefight too so I give myself more time but LJ always flies away.

Derrick01

Banned
just how in the FUCK do you get under Jacobs copter in the final mission?! Ive tried half a dozen times and my boat isnt fast enough. Im rushing that whole firefight too so I give myself more time but LJ always flies away.

Boat? I remember using the dirtbike right next to the pier. It should lead to jumping a ramp that puts you where you need to be.

It took me about 10 tries. I think I rage quit once or twice too. It's all timing on the jump. Best part is once you finally nail it, you have to fly the helicoptor too so I hope you are good at flying a chopper (I wasn't!). If not, you'll crash and have to do the entire goddamn thing again. Christ, I'm getting pissed just thinking about it. FYI, the checkpoints are "fixed" in the expansions and there is nothing comparable to the frustration induced in the last mission of the core game. Seriously, fuck the last mission.

Boat? I remember using the dirtbike right next to the pier. It should lead to jumping a ramp that puts you where you need to be.

Nope, I chose the deal so now I gotta use the fucking boat. I imagine the dirtbike is a pain in the ass too since Niko cant ride for shit compared to Johnny.. This fucking sucks. Fuck this mission. I remember it being a pain and taking me forever back when it came out. I just rage quit for the first time in years.

Fjordson

Hell yeah. Grand Theft Auto IV wasn't alone in this, but it played a big part in my opinion completely shifting on a few different genres. Particularly any form of electronic/ambient music (The Journey) and classic dance/disco music (K109 The Studio). 4-5 years ago I was all rock, post-punk, blues, jazz. Anything "danceable" or anything that used electronic instruments was, I thought, totally uncool.

I'm already excited about what they might have for GTA V's soundtrack. Sure, the modern day GTA's don't have those memorable classics from specific eras that everyone loves in Vice City and San Andreas, but III and IV both had a really great and varied set of songs.

malfcn

I am having a hard time finding it memorable. Then again, I haven't played it in 2 years. And when I did, I started it, then put it off forever. Blew through Gay Tony faster than expected though.

Replaying the game at the moment on PC.

It is sad how bad the console versions look compared to this. It's not even the same experience. I feel like I am playing a fresh game again. The view distance, the added detail in 1080p, the texture details, the framerate and especially the shadows. A classic example of hardware not cut out to deliver the experience the developers intended it to be. San Andreas was similar in that regard, the PS2 version was a mess.

Fox Mulder

I always thought that it was technically impressive, and even occasionally fun, but I missed San Andreas.

GTA 5 doesn't have to be saints row, but hopefully it takes itself a little less seriously.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Replaying the game at the moment on PC.

It is sad how bad the console versions look compared to this. It's not even the same experience. I feel like I am playing a fresh game again. The view distance, the added detail in 1080p, the texture details, the framerate and especially the shadows. A classic example of hardware not cut out to deliver the experience the developers intended it to be. San Andreas was similar in that regard, the PS2 version was a mess.

What about the gameplay????......

I don't understand all of the "OMG the console versions is trash!!!"

The game was playable on both XBOX 360 and PS3. The graphics can be the greatest ever but if the gameplay is inferior to the previous game (San Andreas), graphics mean s***!

The game was playable on both XBOX 360 and PS3. The graphics can be the greatest ever but if the gameplay is inferior to the previous game (San Andreas), graphics mean s***!

I agree, San Andreas was amazing on PS2 even though it was trash technically. Playing GTA on competent hardware makes A HUGE difference though. Especially in the case of GTA4, where most of the amazing detail is simply lost on consoles.

Robot Pants

At the time, a technical marvel. Still is.
But the story went from amazing to super lame early on. It ended up being like every other gta game.
Loved the serious tone and I hope they stick with it for V.
Ballad of Gay Tony was better.

daviyoung

Banned

Comparing the gameplay of San Andreas to GTAIV is like comparing Serious Sam 3 to Battlefield 3.

clear31

Absolutely loved GTA 4, its easily one of my favorite games ever. Just so much fun from the beginning to the brilliant end. Best DLC of all time as well, never had DLC give as much value as the ballad of gay tony and lost and the damned.

Cannot wait for GTA 5

Top Bottom