• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The hyperbolic bane of sci-fi filmGAF (aka Prometheus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Any normal viewer that came out of that movie basically went: "wtf did I just watch?" and that's all anyone needs to know in terms of what it is. It's shit.
But it's very polished shiny turd, sure.

The character motivations in this gigantic piece of shit of a movie are so laughable. I can't understand how anyone can defend it. Anyone. I might even have to add you to my ignore list for making this thread trying to defend it.

I don't know.... OP might be on to something when he talks about 'hyperbolic bane of sci-fi filmGAF'.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not going to go over the stupidity of the scientists again, but the ginger one who's "NOT 'ERE TOP MAKE FRIENDS" should not have passed a Wal Mart psych evaluation let alone be sent on a top secret mega important mission.

zoukka

I liked Prometheus. Much better than Covenant (which isn't saying much I know). The sets, the creatures, the ceepy atmosphere and David/Lead girl were all awesome. Sure it's not a classic by any means but I was very entertained.

hobozero

I put it below Alien Resurrection honestly. At least that movie was a fiasco. Prometheus is just pretentious and dumb.

Alien Resurrection has a ton of redeeming features that get overlooked:

- written by Joss Whedon (before the script got chewed up in re-writes), so it can be kind of fun to try and notice his signature touches on the film
- in the same vein, it's basically a prototype for Firefly (eclectic crew of space cowboys taking questionable jobs and getting in adventures)
- Ron Perlman is never not watchable
- Brad Dourif!
- If you love B-movie scenery chewers, this movie is packed with them: Dourif, Lelan Orser, Dan Hedaya - the cast is built on character actors

And the bad elements in the movie are so incredibly, ridiculously bad that at least you get the sense that the filmmakers knew what they were making. I mean, Dourif giving a classic mad scientist monologue while cocooned and the Alien queen hybrid is giving birth to Ripley's baby - Godfather Part II this ain't.

I'm not going to go over the stupidity of the scientists again, but the ginger one who's "NOT 'ERE TOP MAKE FRIENDS" should not have passed a Wal Mart psych evaluation let alone be sent on a top secret mega important mission.

I feel like people were almost dumber in Covenant, somehow.

jdforge

Banned
Mega bump. Sorry!

This movie is shit but why do I always want to rewatch it?

What does it have that keeps me coming back even though I don’t like it?

Anyone else like this with Prometheus?

sono

It had some epic moments but the biology left me wanting and feeling yucky. So perhaps like the curates egg: good in parts

dr_octagon

Banned
Did somebody say

BANE?!
Four ewe.

Mega bump. Sorry!

This movie is shit but why do I always want to rewatch it?

What does it have that keeps me coming back even though I don’t like it?

Anyone else like this with Prometheus?
It's a visually stunning sack of cow plop. 🐄

There's a couple of good scenes, David and Shaw had potential but the storytelling is awful. They try to tie it in with the original film, no value or anything useful comes out of it.

Heavy handed and unimpressive attempts at exploring ideas on life, universe. It's insulting to the audience with the level of dialogue being so poor.

Crew are dispensible and not enough characterisation. Discount Tom Hardy, Laurel and Hardy scientists get lost in a cave with a 3D map. Idris Elba is bored captain with nothing to do. Benedict Wong is just furniture.

Action squid, dolphin xenomorph, axe, engineer getting roid rage, donut ship falls down, David decapitated and covered in mayo, Guy Pearce is cosplaying as space Benjamin Button.

kanjobazooie kanjobazooie tagged because I think he may be a robot like David 🤖

jdforge

Banned
Four ewe.

It's a visually stunning sack of cow plop. 🐄

There's a couple of good scenes, David and Shaw had potential but the storytelling is awful. They try to tie it in with the original film, no value or anything useful comes out of it.

Heavy handed and unimpressive attempts at exploring ideas on life, universe. It's insulting to the audience with the level of dialogue being so poor.

Crew are dispensible and not enough characterisation. Discount Tom Hardy, Laurel and Hardy scientists get lost in a cave with a 3D map. Idris Elba is bored captain with nothing to do. Benedict Wong is just furniture.

Action squid, dolphin xenomorph, axe, engineer getting roid rage, donut ship falls down, David decapitated and covered in mayo, Guy Pearce is cosplaying as space Benjamin Button.

kanjobazooie kanjobazooie tagged because I think he may be a robot like David 🤖

Genuinely in love with that synopsis and I agree the movie is utter trash.

But it has something that I want to keep rewatching. Maybe it is the visuals as mostly the movie looks stunning.

dr_octagon

Banned
Genuinely in love with that synopsis and I agree the movie is utter trash.

But it has something that I want to keep rewatching. Maybe it is the visuals as mostly the movie looks stunning.
Ridley Scott cannot be faulted for the visual direction and the trailer for Prometheus looks brilliant.

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage reminds me of Ash from the first Alien film.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I really like Prometheus.

It's my third favorite Alien movie after Aliens and the original Alien.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ridley Scott cannot be faulted for the visual direction and the trailer for Prometheus looks brilliant.

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage reminds me of Ash from the first Alien film.
spaceballs-alien-gif-10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom