• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUINER |OT| We Were Never Friends

Gowans

Had a quick go on my lunch break on the Win 10 version after playing the xbox one.

Wow in 4K 60 it looks amazing, the lighting and effects in some of this game... (hope it gets an update for the Xbox One X)

Easy seems just right for me on a first play through but unless things take a turn this is awesome.

robotrock

Banned
Had a quick go on my lunch break on the Win 10 version after playing the xbox one.

Wow in 4K 60 it looks amazing, the lighting and effects in some of this game... (hope it gets an update for the Xbox One X)

Easy seems just right for me on a first play through but unless things take a turn this is awesome.
Is it 60fps on Xbox One?

Eurogamer - A powerfully grim, fleet-footed cyberpunk action odyssey that is caught in the spell of its own nihilism
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-26-ruiner-review
Ruiner is a profoundly ugly game. That isn't necessarily a mark against it, in itself - Ruiner actively sets out to be ugly, after all, and the result is one of cyberpunk's more memorable dystopias. The problem is that its ugliness doesn't really go anywhere save down, ever deeper into its own iniquity. The governing themes - coercion, dehumanisation, a truly sickly interpretation of the war between sexes - are evident from square one, and the plot's revelations are both predictable and bluntly telegraphed. Still, it's easy to lose yourself in the seethe and blur of each gladiatorial exchange, as limbs are rent from limbs and laser bolts sink hot wires into the darkness behind your eyelids.

Gamespot - 8/10
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ruiner-review/1900-6416768/
Ruiner creates a future teeming with interesting concepts, fascinating people and hidden despair. But it is the combat which stands front and centre. Through the endless bodies that fall by your hand, the grim layers of the story peel away to reveal a few surprises about the meaning of life, death and revenge. It is a revealing journey that's well worth taking but it is apparent from the opening scene to the mysterious finale, the only thing that is pure and absolute in the world of Ruiner is murder.

Ashtar

The ๖ۜBronx;250057521 said:
Going to be buying this as soon as payday hits Friday. Best art direction in a game reveal for a long time imo. Wish it was there for the Switch but won't be waiting for an announcement, looks fantastic and want to run and gun.

Still liked BLADE GUNNER for the OT title.
I finally came up with a good ot title but it was too little too late!
I actually don't understand the ot reference it's been a while since I watched blade runner is it a reference to that? Or a daft punk song?

Another poster here said he took 7 to finish

Ah, maybe if you play it from the beginning on Normal it ends up taking longer. I initially played on Normal but switched to Easy as I kept dying. I ended up playing it on Normal on my second playthrough, but that was with the NG+ mode.

Here's my review if anyone cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRHpWUpD_vI

I'd give it an 8/10. It's a great game at a considerably cheap price.

Kvik

Downloading now from Steam. Also updated the OP with Dmax3901's review.

I didn't see this on psn

It's here on AU PSN: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-au/games/ruiner/cid=EP3643-CUSA08386_00-RUINERPS4EU00000

I finally came up with a good ot title but it was too little too late!
I actually don't understand the ot reference it's been a while since I watched blade runner is it a reference to that? Or a daft punk song?

37074591110_161de3d2cd_o.gif

Our review is up over at PlayStation Universe (8.5)

http://www.psu.com/review/34295/ruiner-review-ps4

Thanks, added to the OP.

Eurogamer - A powerfully grim, fleet-footed cyberpunk action odyssey that is caught in the spell of its own nihilism
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-26-ruiner-review

Gamespot - 8/10
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ruiner-review/1900-6416768/

Thanks for collecting these, More_Badass. I've added your handle to the OP. :)

You had to give them all a sign, didn't you?
You had to covet what was mine, didn't you?
The RUINER'S a collector, he's an infector, serving his shit to his flies. Maybe there will come a day when those that you keep blind will suddenly realize!

Honome

Amazing OT! Game looks great.

I recentely got a new PC that is at least "strong enought" to play Ori and The Blind Forest so i think it probably can run Ruiner, so i am undecided if i get it on PS4 or Steam.

How is PS4 performance compared to PC?

Anyone knows how is the Dual Shock 4 support for Ruiner on Steam?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice work on the OP!

Love the Oedo 808 recommendation. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time; from an age when anime was good.

Kvik

Amazing OT! Game looks great.

I recentely got a new PC that is at least "strong enought" to play Ori and The Blind Forest so i think it probably can run Ruiner, so i am undecided if i get it on PS4 or Steam.

How is PS4 performance compared to PC?

Anyone knows how is the Dual Shock 4 support for Ruiner on Steam?

Nice work on the OP!

Love the Oedo 808 recommendation. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time; from an age when anime was good.

Thanks for the kind words :) Post your impressions when you can, I'll link it in the OP.

jimboton

Well that was a surprisingly negative review from Eurogamer..

Ruiner is, in short, a moderately entertaining action game and an utterly hopeless portrait of entrenched misanthropy - an experience that embraces all of cyberpunk's cruelty, technological excess and squalor but none of its hard-earned wistfulness or serenity

Truant

IGN review sealed it for me, I'll pass for now. Difficult stuff like this is just not for me. Will wait for the inevitable megapatch / definitive edition in six months. I feel like a lot of indie games have been doing this lately.

From what I've played, you go to what feel like dungeons where it's all about combat. You go from one wave to another, with usually respite in between to heal up. When you go back to the city, it's a typical hub with quests, dialogue, etc.

This is tremendous news. I’m getting Shadowrun on Genesis/Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance vibes.

I've glanced a few reviews and I'm in. Though because I didn't have enough faith for in it I didn't se any money aside for it.

drotahorror

Maybe it's just the tutorial parts but I'm not digging the pause after every kill. In quick succession it feels like the game is stuttering. Not the final slow motion kill. Every kill, slight pause.

Also, DS4 seems to be working on PC but you can't open the Radial menu with it.

DemWalls

Will this game be this year's Furi for me? I hope so.

Anyway, knowing that some of the developers come from CDPR and that the game is great at basically everything - especially gameplay - really makes me think they could have done great things for 2077 :lol:
Still, I'm glad that their first game is a success, and they have my money.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sounds like the game turned out pretty damn well. Great. It looks awesome. I suspect this'll be what I'm playing this weekend.

Gestault

The style of this has me fucking transfixed. The quick Twitter promos that Devolver has been doing really worked for me. Just the character profile flashes with the catchphrase for each.

There's a New Game Plus mode? In the IGN video review, the reviewer says that there isn't.
When you finish the game you can go to the level select. You start each level with your abilities from the last time you played. It isn't labelled as New Game Plus but that's essentially what it Is.

Top Bottom