• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

D_prOdigy

I want to reiterate to players still going through that you need to make sure you can upgrade the jet-pack fully in order to access the 100% content. I was really panicking scrimping for cash once I realized this. Isn't it kind of a serious problem that wealth is really finite in this game?

Anyways, just had a quick taste of the trials. Not sure I can finish this before Stardew...

Fireblend

Banned
I want to reiterate to players still going through that you need to make sure you can upgrade the jet-pack fully in order to access the 100% content. I was really panicking scrimping for cash once I realized this. Isn't it kind of a serious problem that wealth is really finite in this game?

Anyways, just had a quick taste of the trials. Not sure I can finish this before Stardew...

There's a ton of mods that get you money. Off the top of my head:

• The double-gem chance mod
  • The +30% profit mod
  • The money-per enemy killed mod
  • The one that gives you money everytime you collect low-value gems
  • The one that gives you a chance of getting rainbow gems for killing enemies
Plus you can always kill enemies and get blood stones. I know I died a ton of times (had the double damage mod enabled) and was able to get all upgrades + all cogs, so, everything purchasable in the game. I wouldn't say not being able to get all of the upgrades in the end is a concern at all.

The only "bad" puzzle I could think of was the one in the lava dungeon
how are you supposed to know that the lava levels will eventually drop?

I solved this on my own because (a) it vaguely struck me as a solution I'd seen before in a relatively recent Nintendo platformer like one of the NSMBs; (b) it sticks out conspicuously as
the only truly time-constrained chamber in the game (or so you think)
, suggesting that this might be the thing that is off about it; and (c) as far as in-game clues go,
pay attention to the directional arrows in the background art—they point you this way and that, just following the flow of the stage, as though they're redundant with what's already obvious; but then you notice that the final set continues to point you upwards.
Like everyone else, this was by far the biggest stumper in the game for me, but only because it was such a one-off. I think everything in the game felt exceedingly fair once I figured it out—even the frustrating hunt for the last few items buried god-knows-where on the main map.

Answered above already, but I was also just short of having enough cash for the final paid upgrade when the map was completely cleaned out of gems/minerals, and the simple answer is that enemies do in fact respond and are an infinite source of cash with the right cog mods. I played most of the game with several of the income-related upgrades, but not the cog for enemy bounties or the cogs that raise the difficulty until I was closing in on 100%, and I had no idea how lucrative they were until I needed them.

noshten

3rd place in the monthly European Eshop Chart, with only Sonic Mania and Mario + Rabbids ahead - congratulations to Image & Form

Not sure if the dev is still reading this thread but I booted the game up again and was almost floored by just how good the playability is. It's not that I had forgotten but controls are so responsive and everything so tight, I appreciate it everytime. I'll get your next game for sure.

Chopper

I was half-way through Metroid when I downloaded this. To be frank, this game pisses all over it. And I say that as a huge Metroid fan. I'll begrudgingly return to Metroid once I've found all the secrets.

Congratulations Image & Form. Steamworld Dig 2 is an absolute triumph.

Dipship31

This kinda got buried on the last page, just wondering if there is more to the ending....

So I beat the game the first time right around 12 hours and 84% completed but I am wondering about the ending

I beat the final boss but I think I got a "bad" ending. Fen saved both myself and Rusty but was left behind. Watching the end game and the credits roll it seems like I did something wrong and this was probably the bad ending. Is there another ending?

Chopper

This kinda got buried on the last page, just wondering if there is more to the ending....

So I beat the game the first time right around 12 hours and 84% completed but I am wondering about the ending

I beat the final boss but I think I got a "bad" ending. Fen saved both myself and Rusty but was left behind. Watching the end game and the credits roll it seems like I did something wrong and this was probably the bad ending. Is there another ending?
No other ending.

rudger

I solved this on my own because (a) it vaguely struck me as a solution I'd seen before in a relatively recent Nintendo platformer like one of the NSMBs; (b) it sticks out conspicuously as
the only truly time-constrained chamber in the game (or so you think)
, suggesting that this might be the thing that is off about it; and (c) as far as in-game clues go,
pay attention to the directional arrows in the background art—they point you this way and that, just following the flow of the stage, as though they're redundant with what's already obvious; but then you notice that the final set continues to point you upwards.
Like everyone else, this was by far the biggest stumper in the game for me, but only because it was such a one-off. I think everything in the game felt exceedingly fair once I figured it out—even the frustrating hunt for the last few items buried god-knows-where on the main map.

Answered above already, but I was also just short of having enough cash for the final paid upgrade when the map was completely cleaned out of gems/minerals, and the simple answer is that enemies do in fact respond and are an infinite source of cash with the right cog mods. I played most of the game with several of the income-related upgrades, but not the cog for enemy bounties or the cogs that raise the difficulty until I was closing in on 100%, and I had no idea how lucrative they were until I needed them.

It’s funny cause I got that blueprint not having any idea it goes back down. I just burned through my health and made it out by the skin of my teeth.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is Steamworld Dig 2 meatier? I got bored in 1 because it was repetitive, but forgave it for its price.

I finished all but one cave but only have 37 of the Relics or antiques, whatever. I need to know where the rest could be. Any help? I know I have one more cave, the one where the lava rises to the top, I just can't find it in there either.

Also where are people seeing a percentage on the map?? I see a few posts I'm at such and such percent on the map- how are you seeing that

rudger

I finished all but one cave but only have 37 of the Relics or antiques, whatever. I need to know where the rest could be. Any help? I know I have one more cave, the one where the lava rises to the top, I just can't find it in there either.

Also where are people seeing a percentage on the map?? I see a few posts I'm at such and such percent on the map- how are you seeing that

Many relics are found exploring the map. You can see the percentage when you are in an area, pause and look at the map. It should be on the bottom left I believe. It’s weird that you can’t see the percentage when you are determining a teleport point. You have to already be in the area and paused.

You have to be in that area and check the map.

Fireblend

Banned
Is Steamworld Dig 2 meatier? I got bored in 1 because it was repetitive, but forgave it for its price.

It absolutely is. Here's a small writeup I made on the game in response to a similar question on reddit:

Steamworld is an outstanding game. I don't think whether it will take you 5 or 15 hours is up to how good you are at games (I recommend playing with mission markers off and the double damage mod if you like challenges though), it's more a matter of whether you're the sort of player that rushes through the story, or that wants to see everything the game has to offer. I don't consider myself a pro gamer, but playing at what I consider a good rate I'm 11 hours into the game and although I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end, I haven't finished yet because I'm not beating that last boss until I see that 100% completion rate in every area. (Edit: It ended up taking me 15).

The game itself is really, really good and probably my favorite metroidvania, or indie period of this year so far. It's beautiful to look at, both on a TV screen and the Switch's (it runs at a solid 60fps on 720p for the screen and 1080p on TV). The environments are visually and mechanically different enough to keep the game entertaining and interesting. If you played the original SD, the "dig, gather resources, upgrade your equipment, repeat" loop is there, but it's no longer the core of the game but a traversal method that connects different sections of the world, and it is just as addicting as it was in the original if not more. There's plenty of backtracking, tons of secrets, puzzles and platforming sections that I found pretty challenging (and many of which are optional), and a surprisingly big cast of characters filled with witty writing and humor (the first game barely had a storyline). The mod system which lets you modify the way your equipment works complements the standard upgrade system well and lets you fine tune the mechanics and difficulty of the game surprisingly well. The music is also pretty great, and composed by El Huervo of Hotline Miami fame.

But what I like most about it, and what truly makes a good platformer IMO is the controls. If I were to compare it with another game, it would have to be Ori and the Blind Forest in terms of the amount of control you feel you have over how the main character moves in the game. Jumping, wallclimbing, sprinting, etc make you feel incredibly nimble and flexible, and when you've obtained a couple of upgrades that let you explore and move even more freely through the world (don't want to mention specifics because spoilers), it's ridiculously satisfying how obstacles and areas that seemed hard to traverse at first become walks in the park later in the game. Pair those slick controls with the mod system which allows you to install "mods" to your equipment and modify how they work, adding side-effects or enhancing their functionality, and the game becomes a master class in control mechanics.

Steamworld Dig 2 is absolutely worth the price of admission. I'm actually thinking I'll do a second run through the game eventually, with a minimal mod build just for the challenge, and I'm not the sort of person that plays through games more than once.

Many relics are found exploring the map. You can see the percentage when you are in an area, pause and look at the map. It should be on the bottom left I believe. It’s weird that you can’t see the percentage when you are determining a teleport point. You have to already be in the area and paused.

Probably why I never noticed, I was looking while trying to teleport, which would make sense.

jariw

In addition to what others already said, I'd suggest going for all the collectibles in this game (at some point, you can continue to collect stuff after the credits). Finding all the collectibles will get you much more different gameplay mechanics along the way. If you speed run and never solve the caves, you'll miss a lot of "meat".

AEREC

I was half-way through Metroid when I downloaded this. To be frank, this game pisses all over it. And I say that as a huge Metroid fan. I'll begrudgingly return to Metroid once I've found all the secrets.

Congratulations Image & Form. Steamworld Dig 2 is an absolute triumph.

Kinda feel the same way. Metroid's ok but it's really lacking something.

Finished it yesterday took a bit more time to try and get every upgrade. Will go back later to do a speed run. Yet again Image and Form knocked it out of the park. Great game!!

jariw

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It's driving me nuts.

I just scanned that mine and got 100%. General strategy: scan the left and right borders of the mine, assuming you have the boost that makes secrets glimmer.

I encountered two spots in particular that I though could be tricky:
1. Did you get
the blueprint
?
2. Did you get the
collectable to the top left of the mine
?

Chopper

I just scanned that mine and got 100%. General strategy: scan the left and right borders of the mine, assuming you have the boost that makes secrets glimmer.

I encountered two spots in particular that I though could be tricky:
1. Did you get
the blueprint
?
2. Did you get the
collectable to the top left of the mine
?
Yup. Got both of those...

Fireblend

Banned
Listening to today's Giant Bombcast and was surprised to hear the crew is really, really enjoying SWD2. They usually brush over indies but it was nice to see them talk positively about this game for like 5+ minutes. It really is something special.

jariw

Cleaned up the remaining parts of the game now, with 42/42 artifacts. Such a fantastic game. So polished, fun and well designed!

Megasoum

Banned
So... Granted I haven't played a whole lot of the first game and haven't touched the second one yet but watching streams of the sequel right now I feel like it looks mostly like actual platforming and boss fights instead of the more exploration focus gameplay from the first game?

So... Granted I haven't played a whole lot of the first game and haven't touched the second one yet but watching streams of the sequel right now I feel like it looks mostly like actual platforming and boss fights instead of the more exploration focus gameplay from the first game?

There are actually only
three boss-fights
in Dig 2.

In terms of exploration and platforming, it's a league above Dig 1.

This game is not mostly boss fights at all. There is actually very little boss fight content in the game.

There is both a lot of exploration and a lot of platforming.

Fireblend

Banned

I'd say the mine exploration is very much still there, but it's now a means to an end since it's used to connect bigger dungeon-like areas which are more designed for platforming and environmental puzzles (with some digging in between, obviously) than the original's "dig-sell-dig more" loop. And yeah, those more purposely designed areas are a big part of the game.

I also wouldn't say there's a lot of combat in the game, it's definitely the less refined aspect of the sequel compared to the original's. There are very few boss fights, and the combat is somewhat barebones; upgrades and equipment are more of the "make exploration/traversal easier" type than weapons or combat buffs, although some enemies can only be safely taken out with some of the upgrades - in that sense combat is very puzzle-like. Actual "critter-type enemies" are there and some are dangerous if handled poorly, but environmental hazards are definitely a bigger threat than enemies in general due to the focus on exploration and puzzle-solving.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Didn't see this asked -- My screens borders are too big -- meaning a lot of important info is barely visible on the screen. Things like my hearts, my money, and my cogs (or whatever that stuff is, can't see it) aren't visible.

I tried looking through the options in-game and saw no screen border control.

Can someone help?

Nabs

Didn't see this asked -- My screens borders are too big -- meaning a lot of important info is barely visible on the screen. Things like my hearts, my money, and my cogs (or whatever that stuff is, can't see it) aren't visible.

I tried looking through the options in-game and saw no screen border control.

Can someone help?

Video > Scroll down to Overscan Adjustment?

vareon

Finished the game. What a blast. Got all artifacts, but not %100 on exploration yet.

Then I tried the Trial room and...damn. I don't think I'll finish it as
gauntlets
aren't my thing.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Video > Scroll down to Overscan Adjustment?

No video settings in game, but exploring the options I found a borders adjustment in the Switch menu.

Strangely, I've got at least a dozen Switch games and have never had an issue on any of them until now, but this did fix it, I just moved the arrows dramatically inward (they were already at the edges where they should've been) and through trial and error now I can see the full screen. *shrug*. Whatever. Can't wait to dig into this game.

see what I did there

jariw

Is there anything hidden in the sky? I just unlocked the right mix of perks to explore the sky if it's worth it.

There is, but it's perhaps not open at the stage you're right now.
You need 42/42.

The game can be extremely exploration-focused if you want to, since there's an option to turn quest markers ON/OFF. Even when the markers are ON, I'd say the game has a pretty big focus on exploration.

mabec

Damn, I spent 1 hour in the Archea looking for the last secret and still can't find it WTF? 96% now...

I did the same. Did you find it? Mine where...
AT THE FURTHEST BOTTOM, IN THE SPIKE MAZE IN ONE OF THE CEILINGS, you will find it

Top Bottom