• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

fernoca

Or..
Introducing: The Nintendo DS-U
Because U have the control

[Insert DCharlie's description here]

:p

WTF Nintendo that looks like a DS. Customers are not going to know and assume it's just a DS!! OMG, hope the redesign it before launch!!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
-Pyromaniac- said:
This is what will happen in the conference, they will announce a new game or two, explain the add on, and then talk about their fall/winter lineup that we already know of.
You forgot to mention the part where they announce the cancellation of the 3DS after winter.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
fernoca said:
Or..
Introducing: The Nintendo DS-U
Because U have the control

[Insert DCharlie's description here]

:p

WTF Nintendo that looks like a DS. Customers are not going to know and assume it's just a DS!! OMG, hope the redesign it before launch!!
Pronounced The Nintendo DESU. I'd buy 2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
-Pyromaniac- said:
This is what will happen in the conference, they will announce a new game or two, explain the add on, and then talk about their fall/winter lineup that we already know of.
This.

qq more

AceBandage said:
I thought Iwata already announced that at the investor meeting.
Indeed. Iwata is now going to announce that they'll also drop the Wii U and any current support for all of the active consoles and will make a new system called the Raw Power System! It will be a complex 512-bit system that can display nearly 28 million colors at once and will have the ability to play EVERY game system ever. It will also have a mini band inside the system to play music, and the launch title for the system would be Super Mario Bros 24, better known as Super Mario Galaxy! You can also buy a chip that will allow you to make your own games for it! It will launch at the price of 259.95 US dollars and its controller will feature 27 buttons!

My dad's uncle's pet dog's sister's mother's friend works at Nintendo and told me this!

Anyone getting the reference wins a free cookie.

Graphics Horse said:
:lol

An XL 3DS would be pretty neat, using the DSiXL as a base, it would make the top screen 4.9 inches!
8lHnu.jpg

And the right analog would still be small just to annoy people.
You'd also be able to fit a battery the size of a whole DSlite in there.

Absolutely :)

I would so buy that. I've been planning to get an XL anyway.

although, I wouldn't mind a smaller bottom screen to give the controls more space. Offsetting the d-pad and right nub closer to the screen would do wonders. It's one of the reasons I'm more comfortable using the PSP Go nub in spite of its smaller size. using the d-pad on the current 3DS is a nightmare because of its position.

You guys would buy that? Stop lying. There is incessant bitching about the current 3DS battery life, I can't even imagine how much more power that one would eat. If you get 3 hours now maybe you'll get 1 hour out of that.

-Pyromaniac- said:
You guys would buy that? Stop lying. There is incessant bitching about the current 3DS battery life, I can't even imagine how much more power that one would eat. If you get 3 hours now maybe you'll get 1 hour out of that.

Bigger system means a bigger battery.
The battery life would increase by quite a bit, actually.

-Pyromaniac- said:

DS XL has better battery life, iirc. more space to put in a larger battery. why the ipads last so long is the large battery inside.

mutsu

-Pyromaniac- said:

Bigger machine = bigger battery...?

EDIT: Beaten. Twice.

long story short: you're not fitting a battery big enough to offset the amount it would eat up. I'm talking about that mock up specifically.

If that bottom screen were smaller then I could see a bigger battery helping more.

I thought bigger 3D screen was currently out of the question since they don't manufacture one that size. Not that they couldn't do it, but Sharp(whoever does it) would have to start like right now if they wanted to roll one out for next year right?

backlot

qq more said:
Indeed. Iwata is now going to announce that they'll also drop the Wii U and any current support for all of the active consoles and will make a new system called the Raw Power System! It will be a complex 512-bit system that can display nearly 28 million colors at once and will have the ability to play EVERY game system ever. It will also have a mini band inside the system to play music, and the launch title for the system would be Super Mario Bros 24, better known as Super Mario Galaxy! You can also buy a chip that will allow you to make your own games for it! It will launch at the price of 259.95 US dollars and its controller will feature 27 buttons!

My dad's uncle's pet dog's sister's mother's friend works at Nintendo and told me this!

Anyone getting the reference wins a free cookie.
Wasn't that from an old Nintendo Power or something? Some kid wrote in his predictions during the SNES era and they reprinted it after Super Mario Galaxy came out saying he predicted the future.

qq more

backlot said:
Wasn't that from an old Nintendo Power or something? Some kid wrote in his predictions during the SNES era and they reprinted it after Super Mario Galaxy came out saying he predicted the future.
Correct!

Myansie

I love that mock up of the 3DSXL. Definitely would.

I like how they put the inside camera on the hinge.

I wonder if the resolution will become a problem at that screen size? I'd love to see them add a chip to give it some post AA, similar to the thread on Gaf where people were running their PS3/360 through a PC.

Ocaso

Myansie said:
I love that mock up of the 3DSXL. Definitely would.

I like how they put the inside camera on the hinge.

I wonder if the resolution will become a problem at that screen size? I'd love to see them add a chip to give it some post AA, similar to the thread on Gaf where people were running their PS3/360 through a PC.

Oh yeah, a 3DSXL would be a great update, particularly because of the larger 3D screen. That said, those 0.3 Megapixel cameras definitely have to be upgraded. Their image quality is atrocious now, a bigger screen will simply highlight their awfulness. Still, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.
Even if the second analog stick isn't implemented.

Erethian

-Pyromaniac- said:

Nah, I'm positive Nintendo will announce a redesign scheduled for launch next year, because they're worried people will buy the 3DS this holiday season.

Crisis

Banned
If 01Net is correct in their claims, I think Nintendo would take this "relaunch" pretty far. Like, REALLY far. So here's my predictions for a redesign:

- No 3D at all. They caught some negative attention for "causing headaches" (not saying that's true or not) and for being potentially damaging for younger eyes. They could easily take out the 3D aspect of the 3DS and not lose much in the way of gameplay. Maybe even save money on the hardware and sell it inexpensively.

- Two analog pads

- I don't think they understand how online gameplay actually works so I don't think they'll have a good, unified friends system that doesn't suck yet. It'd be ideal, but I don't think they'll have it.

- Completely new name. And I mean completely.

- New marketing strategy to go with the new name. Rebrand all the games and accessories that work with both 3DS and NewDS to NewDS. Advertise the NewDS as backwards-compatible with the 3DS stuff.

Graphics Horse said:

An XL 3DS would be pretty neat, using the DSiXL as a base, it would make the top screen 4.9 inches!
8lHnu.jpg

Absolutely :)
Great mockup.

Crisis said:
If 01Net is correct in their claims, I think Nintendo would take this "relaunch" pretty far. Like, REALLY far. So here's my predictions for a redesign:

- No 3D at all. They caught some negative attention for "causing headaches" (not saying that's true or not) and for being potentially damaging for younger eyes. They could easily take out the 3D aspect of the 3DS and not lose much in the way of gameplay. Maybe even save money on the hardware and sell it inexpensively.

- Two analog pads

- I don't think they understand how online gameplay actually works so I don't think they'll have a good, unified friends system that doesn't suck yet. It'd be ideal, but I don't think they'll have it.

- Completely new name. And I mean completely.

- New marketing strategy to go with the new name. Rebrand all the games and accessories that work with both 3DS and NewDS to NewDS. Advertise the NewDS as backwards-compatible with the 3DS stuff.

I seriously can't see them dropping 3D. Less focus on it, maybe, but dropping it all together makes no sense. There's just no need to drop it. It's still a neat gimmick and still has some appeal.

I also can't see them changing the name. That would just create MORE market confusion. They're fine with the 3DS name, they just need to market it better.

qq more

I seriously hope they'll never drop the 3D on this system's revisions. I know not everyone loves 3D, but I really like it :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DCharlie said:
Maybe this is why foreigners aren't invited to the show on tuesday? if people are going to throw shoes, you want petite Japanese sized boots, not the US / Euro size 14+
I missed this line
KuGsj.gif

DC :bow

Crisis

Banned
AceBandage said:
I seriously can't see them dropping 3D. Less focus on it, maybe, but dropping it all together makes no sense. There's just no need to drop it. It's still a neat gimmick and still has some appeal.

I also can't see them changing the name. That would just create MORE market confusion. They're fine with the 3DS name, they just need to market it better.

I would ordinarily agree with and probably would have stated your position on the issue. However, nothing they've done here so far has made any sense, nor has it followed traditional Nintendo behavior. Basically, no pre-established rules will be beneficial here.

Erethian

AceBandage said:

I wouldn't put much stock in the 'changing the name' bit. Whenever a leak has the word 'probably' in front of anything, it's a good sign they're speculating.

Though a lot of the stuff about the redesign, outside of there being a redesign for 2012, seems highly speculative anyway. Partly because it's preceded by a rambling paragraph about Iwata backing off from the whole 3D thing. Because of the Ambassador thing? I don't know, they don't really make much sense there.

StevieP

Banned
They could release a console called the "Nintendo Fuckpenis" and as long as it

a) is marketed correctly
b) has *software* that people want (<--- most important)

It will be purchased. That's how it will go and has always gone. Zelda and Starfox are great for us, but us aren't the population at large.

1-D_FTW

Finally played a 3DS kiosk that had a Zelda demo on it. With the slider cranked to 100 percent, that's what I was expecting from the system on Day 1. This should have been their showcase kiosk title from Day 1. None of this subtle crap that's barely discernible.

I really wanted to see Zelda too. If they would have had this out months ago, I would have absolutely bit on the Walmart 2 day glitch of 169.99 and Ambassador status.

Obviously, it's too late to tempt me now. Clearly a new model will be coming within 6 months and it'd be crazy to jump in now. Maybe by then, some of these games like OoT and StarFox will have had some Bomba sales and I'll just stock up ahead of time.

StevieP

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Finally played a 3DS kiosk that had a Zelda demo on it. With the slider cranked to 100 percent, that's what I was expecting from the system on Day 1. This should have been their showcase kiosk title from Day 1. None of this subtle crap that's barely discernible.

Yep, there is shit flying out the screen all the time (the opening village in particular is breathtaking - an assault on your eyes). When you complete a dungeon and get a coin, they actually look like they're a couple centimeters above the screen... It's well done stuff.

I really wanted to see Zelda too. If they would have had this out months ago, I would have absolutely bit on the Walmart 2 day glitch of 169.99 and Ambassador status.

Obviously, it's too late to tempt me now. Clearly a new model will be coming within 6 months and it'd be crazy to jump in now. Maybe by then, some of these games like OoT and StarFox will have had some Bomba sales and I'll just stock up ahead of time.

I don't think so, Tim :)

1-D_FTW

StevieP said:
I don't think so, Tim :)

We'll see. But I'm inclined to believe the 01.net rumors and there's no way they're going to let this linger past the Holiday seasons. Expect it to be announced early Q1 and on shelves by March.

StevieP

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
We'll see. But I'm inclined to believe the 01.net rumors and there's no way they're going to let this linger past the Holiday seasons. Expect it to be announced early Q1 and on shelves by March.

I'm inclined to believe this is a peripheral for Monster Hunter, and if there is some kind of redesign it will be an XL of the current model to increase battery life (not add dual analog). And that won't happen anytime soon, short of the 3DS completely bombing this holiday season. But at this point, we only have the fact there's an analog stick peripheral coming out for Monster Hunter, nothing more.

StevieP said:
I'm inclined to believe this is a peripheral for Monster Hunter, and if there is some kind of redesign it will be an XL of the current model to increase battery life (not add dual analog). And that won't happen anytime soon, short of the 3DS completely bombing this holiday season. But at this point, we only have the fact there's an analog stick peripheral coming out for Monster Hunter, nothing more.
So this is what you've spun it down to now, Stevie? It's just a peripheral for Monster Hunter? It's an official Nintendo accessory. You're in denial.

jackdoe

StevieP said:
A peripheral for Monster Hunter that other studios have gotten their hands on. Lack of a second slider was a serious design flaw, but one that I thought Nintendo would have to stick by. Now they introduce this and all the rules change in regards to handhelds. If more developers utilize this peripheral, there's a very good chance a redesign would incorporate it. And I have no words to describe how angry I would be if that happens. Ten NES and ten GBA games don't make up for that bullshit.

If nintendo is going to relaunch the 3DS, they should tie it into the Wii. Something like the WiiDS, and push it as an alternative WiiU controller. That SSB game would go along way to make that connection between the 2 systems concrete and worthwhile.

jackdoe said:
A peripheral for Monster Hunter that other studios have gotten their hands on. Lack of a second slider was a serious design flaw, but one that I thought Nintendo would have to stick by. Now they introduce this and all the rules change in regards to handhelds. If more developers utilize this peripheral, there's a very good chance a redesign would incorporate it. And I have no words to describe how angry I would be if that happens. Ten NES and ten GBA games don't make up for that bullshit.

You might as well get angry right now then and get it out of your system then...

Graphics Horse said:

8lHnu.jpg

I'd buy this. No hesitation.

The DSi XL is the most comfortable, clear handheld I've ever used, and the 3DS as it is a present feels like many steps back.

Please make this real.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
So this is what you've spun it down to now, Stevie? It's just a peripheral for Monster Hunter? It's an official Nintendo accessory. You're in denial.

So was the Wii wheel? Hell so was Motionplus. How many games outside of WSR/Zelda require it?

Accessory = peripheral.

Until Nintendo comes out and says otherwise, the fact is that it's a peripheral (accessory) for Monster Hunter. And an optional one, at that, because Famitsu says the touchscreen can be used instead as well.

PSGames

They are already losing money on the current system. If they do release a revision I would bet that it's a second sku and doesn't replace the existing 3DS. They will have 2 versions on the market. One smaller, cheaper and lacks 2nd analog. The other larger, more expensive with the second analog built-in.

PSGames said:
They are already losing money on the current system. If they do release a revision I would bet that it's a second sku and doesn't replace the existing 3DS. They will have 2 versions on the market. One smaller, cheaper and lacks 2nd analog. The other larger, more expensive with the second analog built-in.

Makes no sense.

StevieP said:
So was the Wii wheel? Hell so was Motionplus. How many games outside of WSR/Zelda require it?

Accessory = peripheral.

Until Nintendo comes out and says otherwise, the fact is that it's a peripheral (accessory) for Monster Hunter. And an optional one, at that, because Famitsu says the touchscreen can be used instead as well.

Couple of points:

Accessories like the Wii Wheel or the Zapper added nothing in the way of functionality to the Remote/Nunchuk; they simply provided a different way to hold the controllers. The equivalent here would be to the third-party "grip" shells that have been produced for the 3DS.

MotionPlus was initially an accessory bolted on to the Remote to add functionality that Nintendo obviously felt should have been in there in the first place, arguably released to head off the perceived threat of Sony/Microsoft's foray into motion controls. Sound familiar? ;-)

MotionPlus is also now being integrated into every new Wii Remote produced and the old Remote is being phased out, and I could certainly see Nintendo making the Remote Plus the standard secondary controller for the Wii U. It's exactly the scenario being envisaged by everyone talking about the 3DS nub - a stopgap bolt-on to add functionality to standard units, with a revised unit integrating it appearing later to replace the original.

Nintendo are also introducing this early - the expansion pack will be here within ~9 months of the launch of the standard system, instead of nearly 3 years for the MotionPlus. Developers of even second-gen games (Monster Hunter Tri G, MGS3 3D) have had access to this and (speculating here in the case of MGS3) are going to be incorporating it in their games. Early introduction and - assuming it's correct - an early redesign incorporating it also means less fracturing of the userbase than with the MotionPlus and in theory should mean better support for the accessory, especially if the rumours of Nintendo pushing it heavily to devs are correct.

I understand the strict "well, there's nothing official to say this is more than a simple peripheral" line, but I think it would be obtuse not to look at this announcement, the delay of certain titles, the apparently-solid rumours (on this at least) from 01Net and see that this will likely be more significant than that.

Sennorin

Banned
If Nintendo has no plans for a 2nd analog pad-revision, they *really* have to address this matter at their upcoming press conference. On Neogaf alone, dozens of people have now entered the waiting-mode, because they´re fully expecting such revision in the near future. Once the news about the Monster Hunter-upgrade spreads to the mainstream, it could seriously hurt the system.

Top Bottom