• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Alert - Diablo III headed to PS Vita [Update: iPad as well]

iammeiam

There's more of a chance of Diablo 3 coming to consoles rather than to Vita. This rumor seems random as hell.

Unless.... PS3 AND VITA COMBO. Vita is saved.

Rumor does claim it's either in development or about to start the development process. Only way this makes sense to me is if they're already doing HD console versions and have decided to start downporting the PS3 version to the Vita.

But in reality it's probably all a cracked-out dream.

Wanchan

D3 will be only on PS3/360 and there will be a leah DLC where you can play her childhood story.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST GUYS.

Jharp

Let me get this straight... Blizzard releases Diablo III on PC with annoying always-online DRM in order to combat piracy, and on the successor to a handheld that is widely regarded for its intense piracy issues, they're going to release a game with (presumably) offline support?

Pardon my saying so, but yeah goddamn right.

Diablo 3 Coming to PS Vita

Of course take the rumor as a grain of salt but the guy who runs the site is a good friend of mine and said the person he spoke with at E3 is a good source.

Would be really interesting if this ended up becoming a reality, just seems hard to believe on a system that is struggling.

Edit: I cannot type for some reason, sorry for the confusing title.

diablo3vita.gif

BigDug13

Could be done on ipad/tablet devices since you spend most of your game just clicking on random parts of your screen anyway. Vita? Serious interface changes would have to be made.

I honestly thought Blizzard could have made a fortune releasing Diablo 2 on ipad long ago. The touch controls can be easily adapted.

androvsky

Could be done on ipad/tablet devices since you spend most of your game just clicking on random parts of your screen anyway. Vita? Serious interface changes would have to be made.

I honestly thought Blizzard could have made a fortune releasing Diablo 2 on ipad long ago. The touch controls can be easily adapted.

Vita has a touch screen too...

TheMan

there's no way DIII would ever be ported to the trainwreck known as the vita before it's been ported to the HD twins.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BigDug13 said:
I think it'd take serious changes to make this work well with a touch-screen, but why would Vita be any different from other touch devices in that respect?

Omikaru

I'm sure Diablo III's always-online DRM would go down well with all those WiFi Vita and iPad owners looking to play on the bus or the plane. Unless these versions were significantly modified to not require such always-online functionality (as unlikely as that is), but then PC GAF would explode that a console/tablet gets a certifiably superior version of Diablo III than them.

Really, I can't see this being real.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm sure Diablo III's always-online DRM would go down well with all those WiFi Vita and iPad owners looking to play on the bus or the plane. Unless these versions were significantly modified to not require such always-online functionality (as unlikely as that is), but then PC GAF would explode that a console/tablet gets a certifiably superior version of Diablo III than them.

Isn't always-on DRM an anti-piracy measure? Why would they need that on Vita/iPad as well?

Seik

Banned
I'd be all in for a WiiU version, the gamepad would be perfect for this type of game.

Vita version may be good, but I can't see all that UI stuff in a tiny screen with you having to touch for spells and shit. The button layout is more limited than any console too.

Whatever...day 1. :p

Glix

Its part of the Sony streaming deal with Gaikai! The game won't be local you have to play it streamed from Blizz servers to make sure you aren't duping items. I'm running a story on it @ my blog @ glix76.net

No BS. NONE

Seik

Banned
Its part of the Sony streaming deal with Gaikai! The game won't be local you have to play it streamed from Blizz servers to make sure you aren't duping items. I'm running a story on it @ my blog @ glix76.net

No BS. NONE

I really hope not.

I want my single player, make it not cross play with PC and make Vita only servers, I don't give a damn. Just let me play that shit OFFLINE ffs blizzard!! >_<''

Omikaru

Isn't always-on DRM an anti-piracy measure? Why would they need that on Vita/iPad as well?

Well, it's kind of anti-piracy. It's also so they can run the real cash auction house without people hacking the game offline to dupe items. But the game is structured around this always-online DRM. This isn't like the Assassin's Creed on PC BS where the game just phoned home every couple of minutes to make sure you hadn't pirated the game in the interval. Blizzard actually runs game content from the servers. As in, quests, enemy AI, items, loot and all of that is running off a server.

The reason why DIII's always-online DRM is so galling is because it's going to be super hard to crack private servers into. I mean sure, they'll eventually come and then the pirates will get their free game, but in the meantime it's impossible for legitimate customers to crack the game for an offline-only mode because the Diablo III you install is just a client with assets. Any Vita or iPad version would have to be severely re-written unless Blizzard actually expects you to tether your tablet/play anywhere handheld games system to an internet connection to play.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Diablo III is point and click, so it makes sense. But this scoop was revealed before E3.

Alex

I sort of have doubts this will wind up going anywhere other than Mac/PC, currently. I can totally see Blizzard expanding to consoles with future concepts, but not their existing fare. We'll see, I suppose, I just think that between controls in Inferno (leading to hitting the console version with the stupid stick, leading to sandboxing between it and the PC versions), the online infrastructure and the RMAH it'll be too much of a pain in the ass for them to bother splitting focus when they're still stamping out fires and hugely reiterating on the PC version and are trying to get started on planning the expansion.

If it does make its leap though, I'd be more willing to bet it's on next-generation consoles because it probably ain't comin' soon. When Wilson says they haven't even started yet and any other versions are merely a consideration I personally don't believe he's just being coy.

I'd also imagine they'll have better setups for the more progressive game models and quirks on newer console hardware, to boot. Microsoft and Sony are going to be leaving some good cash behind if not.

Pachael

Don't think this will happen due to RMAH, due to profit sharing with the platform owners. Unless they disable it.

Don't think this will happen due to RMAH, due to profit sharing with the platform owners. Unless they disable it.

Of all the companies, I think Sony is the most likely not to care about profit sharing. Having Diablo 3 on Vita is a big enough feather in their cap not to worry about being cut in on auctions.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I found footage of the employees running this site:

73.gif

Out of all of the smartass replies I've seen on Neogaf, this is absolutely the funniest of them all. Please, have a cookie.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo 3: Alliance Mobilized. An all New Adventure set in the popular Diablo Universe with improved game play mechanics designed to accommodate mobile platforms. By Gameloft.
$39.99 for Vita, $7.99 for iPad. Android at later Date.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Well, it's kind of anti-piracy. It's also so they can run the real cash auction house without people hacking the game offline to dupe items. But the game is structured around this always-online DRM. This isn't like the Assassin's Creed on PC BS where the game just phoned home every couple of minutes to make sure you hadn't pirated the game in the interval. Blizzard actually runs game content from the servers. As in, quests, enemy AI, items, loot and all of that is running off a server.

The reason why DIII's always-online DRM is so galling is because it's going to be super hard to crack private servers into. I mean sure, they'll eventually come and then the pirates will get their free game, but in the meantime it's impossible for legitimate customers to crack the game for an offline-only mode because the Diablo III you install is just a client with assets. Any Vita or iPad version would have to be severely re-written unless Blizzard actually expects you to tether your tablet/play anywhere handheld games system to an internet connection to play.

Oh I see. Didn't know Diablo III was structured like that. Wow. Thanks for the explanation.

x3sphere

No, I think the always-on DRM is more to protect the integrity of the economy. What if the Vita got hacked? People could mod the game. I think Bliz would keep the economy separate from the PC version though, so no RMAH.

But honestly... I don't see this happening at all.

Top Bottom