• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Batman Arkham Origins shown at E3 2013

MYE

This is only a rumor for now, but Gameblog.fr is reporting (industry sources...) that Rocksteady is working on a new Batman Arkham game to be shown at E3 this year: Batman Arkham Origins. This time, the story will apparently take place around the 50s or 60s, and other members of the Justice League would also appear in the game. The rumor says it will be a PS4-Nextbox title, but with a chance of seeing it on PS360 too.

NOOOOOooo

Fuck this crossover Avengers/JL shit!

ReiGun

If the other JL members aren't playable, there's no point in them being there.

So, ya know, make them playable. At least Superman and Wonder Woman.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Surely you wouldn't say 'no' to an open world, with loads of crimes to solve?

I'm not talking spiderman shitty side missions. I'm talking about quality missions/stories/crimes. The same quality as what's in the previous games.

Sure, I wouldn't say "no", but my "yes" would otherwise be more emphatic!

Liamario

Banned
Sure, I wouldn't say "no", but my "yes" would otherwise be more emphatic!
I don't understand the issue. If they can maintain the quality of the side missions while giving you access to a whole city- I don't see what the problem is. I concede, that with a linear game there is a lot more control with story telling and set pieces, but that would be the only positive.

Hindle

Banned
You'd think Warner Bros would be eager to give the Arkham treatment to all thier other franchises. Rocksteady could turn them all into multi million sellers.

JaseC

I don't understand the issue. If they can maintain the quality of the side missions while giving you access to a whole city- I don't see what the problem is. I concede, that with a linear game there is a lot more control with story telling and set pieces, but that would be the only positive.

The essence of the Metroidvania style of gameplay and player progression is lost when a game is made open-world -- finding oneself in possession of a new gadget and remembering all those previously-inaccessible areas are now begging to be explored. Asylum was largely built around this philosophy and I prefer it for this reason.

Mva8d8r.jpg

This might be my favorite new image. I love it.

Arkham? Ugh.... I'll be honest. I loved Arkham ASylum, but I can't bring myself to play Arkham City. It just doesn't hold my interest.

Ryuhza

Banned
The essence of the Metroidvania style of gameplay and player progression is lost when a game is made open-world -- finding oneself in possession of a new gadget and remembering all those previously-inaccessible areas are now begging to be explored. Asylum was largely built around this philosophy and I prefer it for this reason.

It's quite possible to create an open-world game with areas that aren't accessible from the start.

lucius

Not sure I want this, Is Rocksteady at least confirmed to be working on a different Batman game?

it be a shame if not

JaseC

It's quite possible to create an open-world game with areas that aren't accessible from the start.

I'm sure it's perfectly possible to create a vast world in the Metroidvania style, but then by definition it isn't an open world, is it? :p I mean, as you suggest as a compromise, you could have most of the world be open for exploration and leave the occasional area here and there locked off until the player has the necessary equipment, but then that also would just lead me back to my original point that I prefer the focused Metroidvania underpinnings of Asylum -- again, the sense of progression that punctuates Metroidvania titles is lost when a game is made open-world.

Ahasverus

I hope the game doesn't have 60's aesthetics. That would damage the image of the series too much. Arkham Universe is a gritty universe,let's keep it that way.

Also, I prefer the rumor of the 2 games, the current gen origins, and the next gen ultra open "gotham city ashes" or whatever.

Shown, or will be shown? I was of the belief that E3 2013 had not yet happened. At any rate, more Batman in this style, the better. Bring it.

I'm totally down for another Rocksteady Batman game.

Though getting sick of the "Arkham" name and constraints.

Let's do Batman: Gotham City for next gen consoles and that can be there swansong Batman game.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
If the other JL members aren't playable, there's no point in them being there.

So, ya know, make them playable. At least Superman and Wonder Woman.

It would be interesting to see other members implemented with new mechanics, almost serving as pitches for new games.

An Origin game could be used as a great commentary on the real-world public perception of what Batman should look/act like by taking place in the Adam West era and eventually morphing into the modern dystopia of AA/AC due to Arkham's revolving door problem leading to an escalation in outcome from what were once goofy villains. It could start in West-era, change to the TAS/Burton era where villains were real threats to the populace but still not cutthroat, and finish in the super-serious AC/Nolan era.

That's probably too heady for it to be approved, but I'd love it.

Ahasverus

I'm totally down for another Rocksteady Batman game.

Though getting sick of the "Arkham" name and constraints.

Let's do Batman: Gotham City for next gen consoles and that can be there swansong Batman game.

There is no need for "Gotham City" or "X City" or ""Gotham X". Most of best Batman titles have none of those words, say, The Killing Joke.

Bring in Adam West for VO and I'm down. The Rocksteady combat system seems perfect for the random "BAMF!" "ZIP!" "POW!" bubbles from the old tv show.

Meelow

Banned
Holding out for Arkham Origins: Armored Edition on Wii U.

I do wonder if this will be on Wii U, since it's probably published by Warner Bros I think the Wii U has a chance, it needs as much games as it can get (well I guess you could say that for every system lol).

Axspell

Neo Member
Oh dude, this sounds awesome. The name fits pretty well, too. Sounds like something that would catch on really easy with the mass market.

kenjisalk

I can't be the only one absolutely sick of Batman in all forms of media. Used to love it until this last decade or so, seems we've reached critical Bat-Mass.

I would much rather Rocksteady turn their talents to a different DC hero, like Green Arrow, The Flash, or Blue Beetle.

Hell, a Green Arrow game ala Thief would be great (though I know Thief 4 will make that pretty much impossible now).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't be the only one absolutely sick of Batman in all forms of media. Used to love it until this last decade or so, seems we've reached critical Bat-Mass.

I would much rather Rocksteady turn their talents to a different DC hero, like Green Arrow, The Flash, or Blue Beetle.

Hell, a Green Arrow game ala Thief would be great (though I know Thief 4 will make that pretty much impossible now).
Although I don't think the next game in the Arkham line is problematic, DC definitely has no idea how to manage their IPs when you look at how much penetration Marvel has managed.

Shit like Gotham Imposters and the MOBA shouldn't exist. Injustice however is a good idea. I think they have a long way to go before you'll see even AA titles with non-Batman heroes. Maybe Superman, but I think their/Nolan's quality control is a bit strict.

Top Bottom