• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Batman Arkham Origins shown at E3 2013

kenjisalk

Although I don't think the next game in the Arkham line is problematic, DC definitely has no idea how to manage their IPs when you look at how much penetration Marvel has managed.

Shit like Gotham Imposters and the MOBA shouldn't exist. Injustice however is a good idea. I think they have a long way to go before you'll see even AA titles with non-Batman heroes. Maybe Superman, but I think their/Nolan's quality control is a bit strict.

That realization is all the more apparent and painful in light of prototypes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtwUQXuSXY

:(

I can't be the only one absolutely sick of Batman in all forms of media. Used to love it until this last decade or so, seems we've reached critical Bat-Mass.

I would much rather Rocksteady turn their talents to a different DC hero, like Green Arrow, The Flash, or Blue Beetle.

Hell, a Green Arrow game ala Thief would be great (though I know Thief 4 will make that pretty much impossible now).

ain't gonna happen

Cartoons = Batman
DTVs = Batman
Movies = Batman
Comics = Batman
Games = Batman

Even the Arrow tv show is basically Batman.
If you are tired of Batman you have to support WB's other attempts even if they aren't good, like Green Lantern.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Other members of the justice league? 50's-60's setting? That sounds great. I'm in the camp that roots for a return to the 'asylum' style though. City was a pretty big disappointment for me.

Robso

Other members of the justice league? 50's-60's setting? That sounds great. I'm in the camp that roots for a return to the 'asylum' style though. City was a pretty big disappointment for me.

Why's that? Preferred the setting of Arkham Asylum more? (Just curious. :p)

Murrah

Banned

Probably prefers the vastly superior metroidvania level design to the open world in City

Though I say that with the bias of having loved Asylum to the point where it's one of my games of the generation and being so turned off by the open world in City that I haven't bothered playing it yet (got the Wii U version lined up to go soon though)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Asylum did turn out to have a pretty incredible setting, but that's only a minor reason why I'd put it above City. As a whole I'd describe Asylum as a way more cohesive game with more focus. City just tried to do too much. They crammed too many villians in and didn't give them enough attention. They went for more of an open world approach, with the inclusion of a bunch of sidequests, only a few of them fun. Oddly enough, the metroidvania-esque style of Asylum suited Batman way better than the open world, at least that's what I found. Asylum was an incredibly tight, perfectly paced action game, still amazed by it. City never achieved that, thought it was decent at best.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Can't really be excited for another batman game personally. Would rather see Rocksteady do something original or at least a different hero.

Angry Fork

People really liked Asylum more than City? I don't understand, City was head and shoulders superior. I loved the open world so much, infinitely better.

Jac_Solar

I hope Batusi is on board:

T0BotNK.gif

What is this?

Anyhow, aren't all the superhero comics and stories from before the 80's like, extremely bad? Like, almost as bad as that gif might indicate?

Why would anyone want a game that is based on any element of those stories?

Maybe Superman, but I think their/Nolan's quality control is a bit strict.

Christopher Nolan? Is he involved with the Superman IP beyond producing the new movie?

I have a super hard time feeling anything for Batman right now. I hate when game writers back themselves into a corner and thus making it hard for direct sequels. Then when sequel time DOES come around, they freak out and go the prequel or reboot route... by the time they eventually DO make it back (if they ever do) the true sequel is usually all the worse for it (MGS4, I'm looking at you, at least in terms of story)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have a super hard time feeling anything for Batman right now. I hate when game writers back themselves into a corner and thus making it hard for direct sequels. Then when sequel time DOES come around, they freak out and go the prequel or reboot route... by the time they eventually DO make it back (if they ever do) the true sequel is usually all the worse for it (MGS4, I'm looking at you, at least in terms of story)
I usually prefer when developers go all out on a game like Arkham City rather than holding stuff back for a potential sequel. Yeah it makes it harder later but by then the foundation is so great and the pressure to do something different or innovate breeds creativity out of necessity. Challenging themselves to be greater every time.

This applies more for other aspects of the game, but for story too.

What is this?

it's a clip from the 1960s batman TV series.

Anyhow, aren't all the superhero comics and stories from before the 80's like, extremely bad? Like, almost as bad as that gif might indicate?

Why would anyone want a game that is based on any element of those stories?

no. You should probably read some of them before dismissing them entirely.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's time they drop Arkham and maybe Batman. Dark Knight Origins would be a cool name.

Surprised Warners never asked them to do a Batman based on Nolans films

We kinda already have that game:

That cape is intense

That realization is all the more apparent and painful in light of prototypes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtwUQXuSXY

:(

Oh shit, Flash is just Sonic? Uh oh...

dan2026

If they really are doing a silver age Batman, it better be proper silver age.

I want Batman travelling in time, wearing a pink costume, meeting the Batman of Planet X, shrunk down to microscopic size and having his mind switched with Superman.

A least.

ReiGun

I want Batman travelling in time, wearing a pink costume, meeting the Batman of Planet X, shrunk down to microscopic size and having his mind switched with Superman.

A least.
All of this. I want absolute insanity.

I've grown completely bored with "Batman: brooding, emotionally flat Dark Knight who wins with prep time." I'm all for "Batman: fun Caped Crusader who has wacky adventures with his pals in the Justice League." It's why "Brave and the Bold" was such a breath of fresh air.

I've grown completely bored with "Batman: brooding, emotionally flat Dark Knight who wins with prep time." I'm all for "Batman: fun Caped Crusader who has wacky adventures with his pals in the Justice League." It's why "Brave and the Bold" was such a breath of fresh air.

I think we need a game featuring the schumacher-era batman.

Disappointing if true. Game needs to go full on open world.

Goodness no, I'd much prefer a hub world that slowly becomes more accessible as you gain new gadgets. AC felt rudderless and lacking in direction at times due to the open world nature of the game.

About this news, I hope it's true. A sliver age title on next generation consoles would be amazing. A dream come true for me.

Jac_Solar

it's a clip from the 1960s batman TV series.

no. You should probably read some of them before dismissing them entirely.

I haven't dismissed anything, I was asking some questions. Based on some stuff I've heard, and bits and pieces I've read, it just sounds like it's very bad. Are those just some exceptions, and the general comics/stories are great, with no ridiculous stuff like superhero dance-offs that are written in a serious tone?

It seems like there are several comic book fans in here, so I thought I would ask another question: what is the point of semi-serious Superhero power arguments, like who would beat who? Or discussing it at all? I've had some interest in a couple of characters, but I haven't read a lot of comics.

It seems like the basis for most "Superhero arguments" is their stated strengths, powers, weaknesses, according to official listings. But these are constantly violated or manipulated in basically every single comic book where its relevant -- even fights in comic books are manipulated to match an agenda (Story, other characters, whatever.) - so the made up "lore" or "powers" don't even have any relevance in the comics themselves.

There seem to be a couple of standards, like the most popular, well known powers for the superheroes are basically always used and referenced -- but beyond those few powers, it seems like the overall arsenal gets changed all the time; especially the strengths and weaknesses of the various powers.

So, with that in mind, what's the point in discussing it, since it's constantly changing to suit the individual comic books and stories? And the strengths/weaknesses seem to be entirely up to the artist working on it?

dan2026

Exactly just go fucking crazy with it!

tec388.jpg

Nemesis_

Assuming Batman: Arkham Origins or whatever actually exists, this is a rumour that almost anyone could make up really.

Daft_Cat

I have next to no interest in this game now that Nolan's trilogy is done...especially if this new game isn't really even a follow-up to Arkham City. That game ended on a really interesting note, and a lot of the side content almost begs for a follow-up.

If they're looking for a "silver-age feel", then I'd rather Rocksteady take a shot at nailing Superman. Better yet, just build a new IP altogether.

smr00

Banned
Another arkham game? Sigh
How dare they continue to make amazing batman games.

I mean who the hell wants to keep playing arguably the best superhero game ever? Not i said the fly. I would rather play activision movie licensed super hero games.

Hindle

Banned
I can take one more Batman game, especially if it's Metroidvania again. After the 3rd game I think fatigue will set in. Give the Arkham treatment to your other IPs already.

I am fine with another Arkham game, I just want it to be tighter and more focused than City was.

I don't think expanding beyond Asylum is impossible, but they clearly overreached.

ReiGun

I haven't dismissed anything, I was asking some questions. Based on some stuff I've heard, and bits and pieces I've read, it just sounds like it's very bad. Are those just some exceptions, and the general comics/stories are great, with no ridiculous stuff like superhero dance-offs that are written in a serious tone?

It seems like there are several comic book fans in here, so I thought I would ask another question: what is the point of semi-serious Superhero power arguments, like who would beat who? Or discussing it at all? I've had some interest in a couple of characters, but I haven't read a lot of comics.

It seems like the basis for most "Superhero arguments" is their stated strengths, powers, weaknesses, according to official listings. But these are constantly violated or manipulated in basically every single comic book where its relevant -- even fights in comic books are manipulated to match an agenda (Story, other characters, whatever.) - so the made up "lore" or "powers" don't even have any relevance in the comics themselves.

There seem to be a couple of standards, like the most popular, well known powers for the superheroes are basically always used and referenced -- but beyond those few powers, it seems like the overall arsenal gets changed all the time; especially the strengths and weaknesses of the various powers.

So, with that in mind, what's the point in discussing it, since it's constantly changing to suit the individual comic books and stories? And the strengths/weaknesses seem to be entirely up to the artist working on it?
Because it's fun?

For serious as those discussions might seem, for the most part, they are done with tongue firmly in cheek. It's just another way to talk about comics and one's love for them. Most people participating aren't actually taking it seriously.

KAL2006

Banned
I am currently playing Arkham City for the first time right now. And I'll be honest so far I prefer the original. Not a fan of open world, travelling between missions is a chore, and the side missions are boring as fuck. The original was better paced and more focused. Hopefully it gets better as I am only a few hours in., currently I am just gonna focus on the story missions and ignore all the side shit that pops up.

Nemesis_

Isn't it a recurring rumour? I vaguely remember hearing about it last year. The same rumour suggested Rocksteady weren't developing either...

My point is that an E3 reveal seems very likely if the project exists. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I could publish a story from an insider on my blog and it would still be believable >_>

kenjisalk

Even the Arrow tv show is basically Batman.
If you are tired of Batman you have to support WB's other attempts even if they aren't good, like Green Lantern.

Hey, I've bought every DC animated film they've put out non-Bats, I watch Arrow even though it's sloppy, and paid to see Green Lantern opening weekend.

It still hasn't made them any less reliant on Batman or motivated them to do anything with the rest of the DC universe sans Bats.

Hey, I've bought every DC animated film they've put out non-Bats, I watch Arrow even though it's sloppy, and paid to see Green Lantern opening weekend.

It still hasn't made them any less reliant on Batman or motivated them to do anything with the rest of the DC universe sans Bats.

Even as a huge Batman fan I still would like to see others(Flash) get some support but they just don't do well enough.
Green Lantern First Flight and Wonder Woman DTVs despite being by far the best at the time sold the slowest of all.
The last Superman movie, cartoon, game bombed.
Green Lantern bombed.
Wonder Woman wasn't even picked up.
Then you get something like Green Lantern TAS(awesome) which is killed because of the awful movie.

I do like Arrow though, it actually got me into the character that I even disliked in JLU.
though even with that Slade is the main reason i'm watching.

I just want a game with scarecrow as the main villain :(

I was hoping his absence from GC was because they were saving his return for the third game.

KiNeSiS

Banned

A least.

I like my Batman extremely dark but that's just amazing!!!!

Neiteio

I like the idea of Arkham Origins being a prequel that allows them to explore the Silver Age and Justice League. Gives them a lot more material to work with. Asylum and City were great "pure" Batman games, so this will be something new and refreshing.

kenjisalk

I do like Arrow though, it actually got me into the character that I even disliked in JLU. though even with that Slade is the main reason i'm watching.

Green Arrow is my favorite DC cape, but he definitely hasn't been done right in film/tv. Arrow is watchable but they changed a lot of what he's about due to us living in a post-The Dark Knight world.

The Green Lantern film was a bomb for a reason, that film was all OVER the place, and silly/stupid to boot.

You could really tell that they had like, four different scripts initially that were wildly different, and couldn't decide which one to go with so they just bolted them all together.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How dare they continue to make amazing batman games.

I mean who the hell wants to keep playing arguably the best superhero game ever? Not i said the fly. I would rather play activision movie licensed super hero games.

I agree with your sarcasm.

I don't understand the complaint about this. Asylum and City were amazing games (flawed in their own right, but nonetheless amazing). One more of those isn't going to break this industry's back... On current gen or next.

Finally, been waiting for some news on the next batman game. Asylum was ok but city was completely amazing. Even more so with excellent 3d support and PhysX. Although I am worried since rocksteady is not developing it.

Top Bottom