• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Batman Arkham Origins shown at E3 2013

DieH@rd

Banned
Finally, been waiting for some news on the next batman game. Asylum was ok but city was completely amazing. Even more so with excellent 3d support and PhysX. Although I am worried since rocksteady is not developing it.

Rocksteady is developing new Batman game for sure. But there was mentions [official conference call] that another WB team is creating something Arkham related.

How dare they continue to make amazing batman games.

I mean who the hell wants to keep playing arguably the best superhero game ever? Not i said the fly. I would rather play activision movie licensed super hero games.

yes, please give us MORE MORE MORE games based on fucking Arkham prison

Jharp

Still bummed we never got Adam West DLC for either Arkham game. Have him do the entire script and change nothing else, and I'd pay $15 in a heartbeat. That shit would be stellar.

Also kind of bummed if Rocksteady keeps pumping out Batman games. Asylum and City were such perfect games that complimented each other so well.

Let Rocksteady fly. They could do so much more.

Jac_Solar

Because it's fun?

For serious as those discussions might seem, for the most part, they are done with tongue firmly in cheek. It's just another way to talk about comics and one's love for them. Most people participating aren't actually taking it seriously.

Ah, ok, yeah that makes more sense. :)

monome

Still bummed we never got Adam West DLC for either Arkham game. Have him do the entire script and change nothing else, and I'd pay $15 in a heartbeat. That shit would be stellar.

Also kind of bummed if Rocksteady keeps pumping out Batman games. Asylum and City were such perfect games that complimented each other so well.

Let Rocksteady fly. They could do so much more.

I don't think the full potential for a Batman game has been realised yet.

Batman is quite versatile in his strenghts and weaknesses, and his villains' roaster is huge.

Better hardware should make for better gameplay, and as far as artstyle is concerned, the games, IMO, don't do justice to the many great artists who've worked on the caped crusader.

Story wise, games do a good job of wrapping the story up vs comics monthly story arcs, but if the next game is "Arkham" a possible 50/60's setting is much welcome.

For example, Bioshock Infinite did well in being a "Bioshock" game, did well in being a good sequel (bigger, better, etc...), did well in acknowledging the connexion to the bioshock universe, and utlimately did well at being its own thing.

On a pure principle base, Arkham Origins shits on the previous Arkahm games by being not in continuity. But they could simply sell the setting as an alternate universe.

to end this, why on earth make a AAA game that's out of new 52 continuity?
if new 52 was what it is supposed to be (an exciting continuity where every thread is connected), Warner would have no excuse to pump out Batmen so different (comics#movies#games), rather than place one Batman in many different situations (DC universe can accomodate different timelines, universes, time travels etc...).

Slightly OT but figured I might actually get a response here.

Just started Arkham city PS3 and decided to try Hard but holy fuck the big fights are just kicking my arse requiring me to repeat them about 10 times each. It feels like I have to be perfect for every fight. Should I restart on normal or stick with it? Do I just suck and need to practice? tbh I don't think the combat itself is good enough for me to warrant spending time on it to get really good at it. I prefer the stealthy approach and the puzzling.

Personally for me I would love for an Arkham 3 game to just be Gotham City. I think a lot of what I enjoyed about AC was just making my way across the roof tops as Batman and beating the piss out of criminals. I'd love an open world Gotham City where I could do just that. Except give me thugs breaking into banks and jewelry stores to stop. Maybe some of them show connections and I get to actually use some detective skills and trace it back to Penquin or Joker.

I liked City way more than Asylum. Asylum just felt so cooped up, and closed in, City just really opened things up I thought. I loved just going from roof top to roof top, watching from above.

I'm really sick of the entire Arkham take. I'd rather see something different from the next Batman game. I realize the Arkham setting allows the team to put so many characters in one place but...It's getting dull.

Hopefull we will get to drive the batmobile in this one. The formula has become boring (fly to x location, beat x baddies), game needs more vehicular action

Azih

Slightly OT but figured I might actually get a response here.

Just started Arkham city PS3 and decided to try Hard but holy fuck the big fights are just kicking my arse requiring me to repeat them about 10 times each. It feels like I have to be perfect for every fight. Should I restart on normal or stick with it? Do I just suck and need to practice? tbh I don't think the combat itself is good enough for me to warrant spending time on it to get really good at it. I prefer the stealthy approach and the puzzling.

Play the combat challenges and pay attention to the scoring system. It'll teach you the logic of the combat design when you start going for the top score challenges.

And yeah, play Normal for a bit dude.

AniHawk

Personally for me I would love for an Arkham 3 game to just be Gotham City. I think a lot of what I enjoyed about AC was just making my way across the roof tops as Batman and beating the piss out of criminals. I'd love an open world Gotham City where I could do just that. Except give me thugs breaking into banks and jewelry stores to stop. Maybe some of them show connections and I get to actually use some detective skills and trace it back to Penquin or Joker.

I liked City way more than Asylum. Asylum just felt so cooped up, and closed in, City just really opened things up I thought. I loved just going from roof top to roof top, watching from above.

constant open-world online game where you play as robbers and criminals and one guy is batman.

i think city was a lot more disjointed than asylum. asylum was very much an action-adventure game in the style of a zelda title, just with more stealth elements. the joker being the one driving force behind the scenes helped the game's identity as well. city was all over the place in tone and what it was trying to accomplish. is it an action-adventure title like asylum? is it an open-world game? what is the focus? who knows. who cares.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lego Marvel is developed by a WB-owned studio, so it's not as impossible as it once seemed. But I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

yes but that just a Lego game and TT can made multiple Lego games at once like every year.

I don't see WB putting Roacksteady on a 2 years project for some other company IP like Marvel or Image or anyone else.

constant open-world online game where you play as robbers and criminals and one guy is batman.

i think city was a lot more disjointed than asylum. asylum was very much an action-adventure game in the style of a zelda title, just with more stealth elements. the joker being the one driving force behind the scenes helped the game's identity as well. city was all over the place in tone and what it was trying to accomplish. is it an action-adventure title like asylum? is it an open-world game? what is the focus? who knows. who cares.

City's focus was to make the player feel like Batman. It did so by featuring stalking and gliding around a cityscape, stopping assaults of political prisoners, using smoke bombs, counter multiple attacks at once and being able to divebomb enemies from the rooftops. It was not trying to be a 3D Metroidvania — "trying" being the operative word.

Asylum was focused because it was completely linear. It was not Zelda/Metroid-like beyond acquiring new items/abilities — it's completely linear with the illusion of exploration. Here's a post that explains why well:

Bless you for calling it the pathfinding genre. I'd prefer it if that were the term used to describe it, but even then people are still going to lump in games where pathfinding plays little or no role (e.g. Cave Story).

3D games of this ilk are so rare that aside from the main Metroid Prime titles and The Divide: Enemies Within, I don't know of any others. People like to mention Arkham Asylum and perhaps more recently the Tomb Raider reboot (which I've not completed), but these don't really put the focus on pathfinding even if they share some Metroid elements. Never played Tomba or Soul Reaver, but I'd like to try both.

In 2D, Shadow Complex is definitely a pathfinding game and one made by people who clearly understood that getting lost in the world was part of the appeal of the titles that inspired it. A damn shame it never got a sequel. A few others I've played:

Aquaria
Lyle in Cube Sector
An Untitled Story
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

I think Guacamelee and perhaps Axiom Verge are supposed to be upcoming pathfinding games, but there are way too few of these types of games being released.

Games that are not pathfinding games but generally get lumped into that category because of the implementation of upgrades or an interconnected level structure:

Cave Story
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Dust: An Elysian Tail

It's easy to see why these games are not pathfinding games if you merely stop to consider how many times in the game you had to decipher where to go next. You'll notice the answer is zero, even if those games have elements of Metroidvanias/pathfinding games.

Bioshock is as much a pathfinding game as Halo, which is to say not at all.

The only advantages Asylum had over City were pacing (only achieved by being completely linear), basic story premise (which the game did not fully realize considering the linearity, high level of repetition and too few, too weak boss fights) and the Scarecrow encounters.

City still has the predator gameplay and is still structured similarly to Asylum what with gaining access to new areas as the game progresses, you're just able to get around without running through narrow corridors and encountering as many loading screens. It's not GTA with Batman. It's still a hub-type gameworld

Absolutely everything else is better in City. Boss battles, combat, gadgets, weapon dismantling, use of gadgets during combat, more predator options, actual puzzles for finding Riddler trophies, riddler hostages in Saw-type traps, actual Riddler encounter, grapnel-canceling and a non-cop out ending.

Play through Asylum again and pay attention to the repetition, how Bane is recycled as titans, the only boss fight is Poison Ivy, how you never even get the chance to explore and never have to figure out where to go, how terrible/out of character/"quintessential videogame boss"-style fight the final boss was and tell me how that beats what City brings to the table.

Even if you prefer more linear style games, how in the world is that more appropriate for Batman than traversing a cityscape?

AniHawk

City's focus was to make the player feel like Batman. It did so by featuring stalking and gliding around a cityscape, stopping assaults of political prisoners, using smoke bombs, counter multiple attacks at once and being able to divebomb enemies from the rooftops. It was not trying to be a 3D Metroidvania — "trying" being the operative word.

Asylum was focused because it was completely linear. It was not Zelda/Metroid-like beyond acquiring new items/abilities — it's completely linear with the illusion of exploration. Here's a post that explains why well:

The only advantages Asylum had over City were pacing (only achieved by being completely linear), basic story premise (which the game did not fully realize considering the linearity, high level of repetition and too few, too weak boss fights) and the Scarecrow encounters.

City still has the predator gameplay and is still structured similarly to Asylum what with gaining access to new areas as the game progresses, you're just able to get around without running through narrow corridors and encountering as many loading screens. It's not GTA with Batman. It's still a hub-type gameworld

Absolutely everything else is better in City. Boss battles, combat, gadgets, weapon dismantling, use of gadgets during combat, more predator options, actual puzzles for finding Riddler trophies, riddler hostages in Saw-type traps, actual Riddler encounter, grapnel-canceling and a non-cop out ending.

Play through Asylum again and pay attention to the repetition, how Bane is recycled as titans, the only boss fight is Poison Ivy, how you never even get the chance to explore and never have to figure out where to go, how terrible/out of character/"quintessential videogame boss"-style fight the final boss was and tell me how that beats what City brings to the table.

Even if you prefer more linear style games, how in the world is that more appropriate for Batman than traversing a cityscape?

i think there are a lot of good points that are made about why individual parts from city are better than individual parts of asylum. for me, asylum's linearity works incredibly well in pushing the action forward. arkham city should feel like traversing a cityscape, but it's actually one giant prison. that's not very fun at all. they tried mixing gotham city with the style they created for asylum, and it gels together in a messy way.

for me, the split is like mass effect 1 and mass effect 2. by all means, mass effect 2's game-stuff is a lot less bloated and easier to control. load times aren't nearly as ridiculous, either. mass effect 1 is also the only one that best feels like a sci-fi action film, with effort made to alter the visual presentation with a gritty late 70s film texture. consider the moment with vigil at the end, and how everything culminated in that moment. you were finally getting answers, and you were getting answers at your own pace- versus martin sheen explaining the game at you.

that is sorta what asylum was for me. it's more than just a sum of its parts.

-BLITZ-

And this is how the logo of their newest game looks like.

Source: - http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/19668.html

Batman Arkham Origins has just been announced for PC, Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360! Set several years before the previous chapters in the series, the story will put you in the shoes of a younger Batman. Players will meet many of the franchise’s most important characters for the first time and even develop important relationships with them.

Alongside the main game, a spinoff title called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will be available for 3DS and Vita platforms. Both games will be available on October 25th of this year,00 and will be developed by WB Games Montreal, rather than series creator Rocksteady. Stay tuned to Gamefocus for more details on the game

62877_10151512296319699_337572613_n.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How would that make sense story-wise? There can't be another Batman before Bruce Wayne. For a reboot it would make sense.

My guess is this is a mix of different rumors about different games: one game not made by Rocksteady and being a prequel to Arkham Asylum, the other made by Rocksteady for next-gen consoles and being a reboot set in the 50/60s.

cov_241_l.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/09/may-cover-revealed-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

The story is that on Christma Eve, eight of the best assassins in the world come to Gotham to kill Batman on this one night. It's not retreading Year One, it's not the origins of Batman, but it will show us the first time Batman meet important characters and how those relationships formed and developed. And it's set in actual Gotham, not a walled-off Arkham City, but a living functional Gotham City

Top Bottom