• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Batman Arkham Remastered Collection Is Still Coming (Summer 2016)

I don't get why it's taking them so long to port these games. Even as a remaster, I doubt they're building everything from scratch. (IIRC the original rumor said it was targeting a Fall 2015 release.)

Make all of them with the Arkham Knight Engine and I'll gladly pay another $60.

Funny you mention that since the last DLC of Arkham Knight has remade maps from Asylum and City (well, DLC maps from City). I can imagine them remaking Asylum as it is a fairly well contained environment.

It would be nice to have a version of these games that doesn't have horrible texture pop-in. Did the PC versions have that problem? I know all the PS3 games did.

These two

Batman: Arkham Legacy

GmoB1Nd.png

Hmm, isn't that the Injustice Batsuit in that picture?

Please be true. I want to replay Arkham Asylum and City, and regret trading in Asylum even if it cost me next to nothing and I got a good deal.

Rocksteady's seeming disdain for Origins ticks me off.

Origins is a flawed gem. I loved the story it told, and its festive Christmas season backdrop.

Include it in the collection or I won't buy.

/survey

this

best story in the franchise.... tho I haven't finished Knight

ss_lemonade

the most broken piece of shit game in history is return to form?

hahahaha no
I'm currently playing the game on a laptop and so far as long as I have smoke and debris disabled, it has been running and looking fantastic. Enabling those 2 options though does turn it into an almost broken game lol (the freezes whenever the batmobile shows up and overall stuttering can be frustrating and headache inducing)

Howling at Origins being included.

EDIT: Ah, it's not. Didn't seem right seeing as it was an unnecessary cash grab and not even developed by Rocksteady.

loki0wn

Don't think I ever finished AA, so I'll probably pick it up again for some better gfx. Wonder if they'll do anything for the PC version.

GrandiaX

Banned
Does anybody care about this re-release? What is so different and unique? How about moving on and announcing their future games?

Asylum's more memorable (especially for being the originator of this great action-adventure series) but Origins is the better game overall across the four games and the chance of it not being part of this collection would be really disappointing.

Ugh...this is not the greatest Arkham collection since it doesn't have Origins...

9v9Hie.gif

If I a remaster of the first 2 titles is to be released I really don't understand why WB won't include Origins.

Honestly I'm tired of Origins getting the flak that it does. Narratively it's the best in the series and while the bugs and glitches were a sour note it wasn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

By not including Origins, WB itself reinforces this stupid notion that it's not "worthy" of the other titles. No way Rocksteady throws shade at Origins way either, they don't own Batman.

Neoxon

Rocksteady's seeming disdain for Origins ticks me off.

Origins is a flawed gem. I loved the story it told, and its festive Christmas season backdrop.

Include it in the collection or I won't buy.

/survey
Arkham Knight does acknowledge Origins, namely with Deathstroke.

KDC720

No.

Oh god no

Kevin Conroy will always and forever be Batman to me, but the dude was wooden as all hell in the games. Roger Craig Smith simply did a better job in Origins.

It is indeed a real shame if Origins isn't included. I feel like that game gets unfairly waved away way too often, and a re-release would allow them to fix some of those technical problems.

Easily the best story of all four games too, hell, it's even referenced a bunch in Knight, almost silly not to include it at this point.

DOWN

Banned
Why not include Origins? Doesn't make much sense to not include it.

It isn't part of the trilogy. It was a cash in spinoff by a separate studio. Rocksteady made a trilogy and Origins just built a spinoff filler. That said, I like Origins a lot.

est1992

I'd actually be really hyped for this. New visuals for AA and environments would be great. Same for AC. But what about gameplay? Any changes being made there?

AU Tiger

LOOOOOVED AA on PC. Played through twice once after
GFWL's janky install of Arkahm City erased all my AA save data the first time

LLShC.gif

would love to play through an remaster of that with up-rez'd textures and stuff on PC again.

pHand

Still surprised by how much praise Origins gets. I thought it was an okay stopgap and better than I thought it would be. But even though I 100%ed Asylum and City (and all non-DLC Knight content) I had absolutely no desire to go through Origins a second time, much less bother with the challenges. It was just way too derivative of City (freakin' Glue Grenades for goodness' sake!), and I didn't think it did a single thing better than the first two games.

The story essentially boiled down to
Batman and Joker are in love with each other. The Black Mask twist was ludicrous, and the assassin story was heavily hyped but went nowhere and was just as ridiculous as City's reason for having all of the villains in one place. And out of all of the stupid reasons to keep civilians off the streets, Origins had the worst.
I can understand that people liked the attempt at character development, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I much preferred the comic book plotting of City.

I thought the gameplay in Origins was a huge step back. The new half of the city was a gigantic bore to explore. Worst of all, there were ledges that you inexplicably couldn't grapple onto, making traversal a chore. Yes, there was fast travel, and they fixed the unnecessary Wonder Tower barriers, but that damn bridge was my bane.

Speaking of which, City did the Bane fight first and better with Mr. Freeze, and I don't really get the love for Origins' boss fights. I though combat in general was way off. I would end up literally punching air because Batman wouldn't properly move towards enemies. I also didn't like any of the new enemy types they introduced; the ones in Knight felt much more like a natural progression of City's. And then there were the electric gloves that broke combat completely.

However, what really soured Origins for me was its treatment of the Riddler challenges. The Riddler was secretly the best part of Asylum and City, and seeing him get his just rewards was the highlight of those games. Origin's "reward" for getting all of the Riddler trophies is somehow even worse than seeing the true Knightfall protocol.

The only truly worthwhile thing that Origins did for me was the story DLC, which at least showed some originality.

Hopefully they release these separately as digital releases at some point. The only one I have a real hankering to go back to any time soon is Asylum.

TitusTroy

Origins was a very underrated game but no way is it better then Arkham Asylum or Arkham Knight...I can understand people ranking it higher then Arkham City though...people have revisionist history and remember Origins being better then it actually was

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Judging by the latest PC ports from WB, I don't even know if I want the remastered versions to be ported to PC. I guess it is better not to port them cuz WB clearly don't give a damn about PC and in the end the actual ports will be terrible just like BAK and MKX. But... they could at least release a patch with new feature for PC versions and it is not that hard to do, especially if you care about what you're doing.... nah, who am I kidding, they won't cuz they don't care and couldn't be bothered.

Having not played Origins or Knight yet, I'd be pretty disappointed if Origins wasn't included. Still, having Asylum on my PS4 would too good to pass up, so I'll buy this.

Rymuth

Still surprised by how much praise Origins gets. I thought it was an okay stopgap and better than I thought it would be. But even though I 100%ed Asylum and City (and all non-DLC Knight content) I had absolutely no desire to go through Origins a second time, much less bother with the challenges. It was just way too derivative of City (freakin' Glue Grenades for goodness' sake!), and I didn't think it did a single thing better than the first two games.

The story essentially boiled down to
Batman and Joker are in love with each other. The Black Mask twist was ludicrous, and the assassin story was heavily hyped but went nowhere and was just as ridiculous as City's reason for having all of the villains in one place. And out of all of the stupid reasons to keep civilians off the streets, Origins had the worst.
I can understand that people liked the attempt at character development, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I much preferred the comic book plotting of City.

I thought the gameplay in Origins was a huge step back. The new half of the city was a gigantic bore to explore. Worst of all, there were ledges that you inexplicably couldn't grapple onto, making traversal a chore. Yes, there was fast travel, and they fixed the unnecessary Wonder Tower barriers, but that damn bridge was my bane.

Speaking of which, City did the Bane fight first and better with Mr. Freeze, and I don't really get the love for Origins' boss fights. I though combat in general was way off. I would end up literally punching air because Batman wouldn't properly move towards enemies. I also didn't like any of the new enemy types they introduced; the ones in Knight felt much more like a natural progression of City's. And then there were the electric gloves that broke combat completely.

However, what really soured Origins for me was its treatment of the Riddler challenges. The Riddler was secretly the best part of Asylum and City, and seeing him get his just rewards was the highlight of those games. Origin's "reward" for getting all of the Riddler trophies is somehow even worse than seeing the true Knightfall protocol.

The only truly worthwhile thing that Origins did for me was the story DLC, which at least showed some originality.
This to a T.

I guess people are overlooking the games terrible flaws because it had their favorite Batsuit.

Sojgat

Origins was a very underrated game but no way is it better then Arkham Asylum or Arkham Knight...I can understand people ranking it higher then Arkham City though...people have revisionist history and remember Origins being better then it actually was

I've payed through Origins 6 times. My opinion on why it's the best Arkham game isn't coloured by any misrememberences as to it's actual quality.

Best story, art direction, mission design, combat (it can admittedly be a little wonky in the campaign, but works flawlessly in the challenge maps), character progression, voice acting, enemy variety, boss fights, music, etc. The only area in which it's noticeably inferior to the other games is the Riddler content.

im_dany

I love how people is always willing to buy again games they already bought 5 years ago, they're basically selling the PS360 gen for the second time.

Asylum > City, after that one I didn't bother playing the series anymore.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
All three for $60 would be great. Origins should be included 100%. It doesn't matter if it's not developed by Rocksteady. It's still part of the franchise and if anything, WB Games should just add it in regardless of how they feel about it. Too much bullshit. Either do all three or don't do any of them at all.

jediyoshi

I've payed through Origins 6 times. My opinion on why it's the best Arkham game isn't coloured by any misrememberences as to it's actual quality.

Best story, art direction, mission design, combat (it can admittedly be a little wonky in the campaign, but works flawlessly in the challenge maps), character progression, voice acting, enemy variety, boss fights, music, etc. The only area in which it's noticeably inferior to the other games is the Riddler content.

Origins is infinitely worse off environmentally. If you've made a single city super hero game that even warrants the existence of a fast travel, you've failed somewhere. The giant bridge is a bizarre inclusion that seemed to only be warranted for a single mission's set piece and otherwise was a monotonous time sink the entire rest of the game. The city reeks of cloned giant, featureless rectangles that exist to take up space rather than have anything to say about Gotham or functionally offer any interesting variety while grappling to travel. It's like they took Arkham City, stretched it out for no reason other than to justify the fact that it's now Gotham, couldn't think of any engaging activities that weren't already established archtypes from the past games, and ended up having to keep everything safe and generic by virtue of not having the same resources per amount of area to account for.

Top Bottom