• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: BGE2 (maybe) cancelled, Michel Ancel to found new studio

FoneBone

Ancel hasn't done anything that's actually seen the light of day since King Kong, so this isn't terribly surprising.

Darklord said:
Why did they even announce it? What a waste.

They never actually "announced" it per se; there was no press release, release list, or other official statement from Ubi confirming that BG&E 2 existed. But regarding the teaser, your point still stands.

Anyway, I see this as great news if true. Ancel is an immensely talented creator, and it's clear that Ubi's aegis hasn't served him very well over the last few years.

Emitan

Oli said:
The odds of that are incredibly unlikely. Capcom didn't give Platinum Games Okami or Viewtiful Joe, and Ubi won't give Ancel BG&E or Rayman.
Ancel should team up with Clover (Platinum). They'd make the greatest games ever.

watkinzez

Ancel getting free of all that political bs sounds good to me! I don't care if it's BG&E2 or not, I just want a new game from him.

Staying under the Ubisoft umbrella seems kinda redundant though, dunno what's up with that.

Melville said:
On a more positive note, Ancel has also expressed the desire to get back to more "classical" games (read: 2D). He is still working for Ubisoft though, and the article states that they do not know in which terms this whole thing happenned.
Sounds good, I'd much rather he work on something along the lines of the original Rayman instead of Boringest Game Ever 2.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well shit, this is not good. I was looking very forward to seeing more of the game and hopefully playing it one day.

Vinci

Danish
Billychu said:
Ubisoft was the publisher. They are in charge of advertising a game and generating hype. When they don't do either of those things and are surprised it bombed, who's fault is that? The game got tons of great reviews, there was just no marketing. It's partially Ubi's fault it bombed. They owe him one. Two, actually. They ruined his other franchise (Rayman).

It doesn't matter which party is to blame. It sold what it sold. In the end, that's all that matters when it comes to determining whether a sequel to a title makes any financial sense.

NaviLink

The source in the OP is known to be not reliable at all. Wait for more serious websites to confirm if this is true or not.

fernoca

Vinci said:
Well, yeah. That's sort of what a company wants, for their product to sell well and allow them to create more products. Of course they're less likely to make a sequel if it doesn't sell well. Not trying to defend Ubisoft (of all companies), but how did you think the game industry worked?
That wasn't my point.. :p
Is that when it comes to BG&E..people act as if Ubisoft is "leaving money on the table"..by not making a sequel..

But what money actually?
The $60 that like ..100 people around here will pay for a sequel?
The $20 that many paid for the first game after it bombed?
The Paypal money they paid for the eBay-auction copy they ordered?
The $5 for their copy on Steam?

BG&E2 state of uncertainty should come as no surprise, when even the same Ubisoft admitted that part of the disaster in sales was attributed to them not knowing how to advertise the game..or to who advertise it.

That I'd love to see a sequel..well, yeah..same with P.N.03..but is not like actually expect them to make one quickly; if they do make one. They teased at one..whatever happens or ends happening to that, only they know.

Oli

nincompoop said:
Sounds good, I'd much rather he work on something along the lines of the original Rayman instead of Boringest Game Ever 2.

You are either a very incompetent fool, or a very smart troll.

watkinzez

It's pretty bad how Ubi's handled the sequel, really. Why show a trailer, as well as have Jade cameo in both Prince of Persia and that football game, yet actively shun the game's existence?

FoneBone

watkinzez said:
It's pretty bad how Ubi's handled the sequel, really. Why show a trailer, as well as have Jade cameo in both Prince of Persia and that football game, yet actively shun the game's existence?
Wait, what? Never knew about this.

Shiggy

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The other person would probably be Frederick Raynal. He's a star developer and he was working with Ancel.

He's updated his website earlier this years saying his game was coming this year. Don't think he was working on BG&E2 as it was evident that Tintin would be released first.
The name of his game is written on this board:
http://www.ludoid.fr/Jeux/THI.png

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Fuck this rumor.

Go ahead, just say it's canceled and make more fucking war and crime games for teenage boys.

I hate this shitty shit generation of shit.

Shiggy said:
He's updated his website earlier this years saying his game was coming this year. Don't think he was working on BG&E2 as it was evident that Tintin would be released first.

Well, are there any other star developers working for Ubisoft Montpellier? The rumor doesn't seem to state that the second person was working on BG&E2 as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait, so the rumor is Ancel is quitting Montpellier to start a new studio under Ubisoft? That doesn't sound like it solves jack shit.

I want Beyond Good & Evil 2 damnit. That leaked footage looked amazing, like a super fast third-person Mirror's Edge, and if you add in BG&E elements... *drool*

Shiggy

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Well, are there any other star developers working for Ubisoft Montpellier? The rumor doesn't seem to state that the second person was working on BG&E2 as well.

You've got a point there.

watkinzez

I would have said the other guy is Frederick Raynal or Jacques Exertier, but they've both been involved in active development recently. Lots of talented people at Montpellier.

FoneBone said:
Wait, what? Never knew about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Nd1Ngpjz0&feature=related
And an odd interpretation in Academy of Champions:
aocjade.jpg

Ushojax said:
It's official then, there is no God. Maybe Ancel can get the rights away from UbiSoft somehow. Please...
He damn well better. That series is going nowhere at this point.

Darklord said:
Why did they even announce it? What a waste.
Technically, it was never announced. A video was released - and that was that.

Technically, it was never announced. A video was released - and that was that.
That is pretty much an announcement, though. Maybe they didn't consider it "official," but to anyone with common sense a teaser trailer was exactly that - a teaser for an upcoming product.

:(

Empty

fucking hell ubisoft. worst news, worst fucking news. maybe we'll get some good results down the line if he gets free of internal ubisoft bullshit, but i really really wanted BG&E2.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm not even surprised. Hell I expected this from the very beginning. Ubisoft is being Ubisoft.

Firebrand

harry4000uk said:
Frédérick Raynal should go with you too. little big adventure 3 needs to be made

This, a thousand times this. I don't know what Raynal has been up to lately, if he's been at Ubisoft too. Wikipedia says he was working as a consultant for Ubisoft in 2006.

madara

Ugh, I feel sick. I think Jack Bauer is heading in that direction, there really should be some ass kicking.

Speevy

Banned
Did anyone think this was actually coming out?

The first game flopped, and Ubisoft can't justify releasing a sequel. It's a nice idea that you think games like this could get released in 2010 though.

What are the chances the other person joining him is Patrice Désilets? no offense to anyone else working at Ubi, but him, Ancel, and Hocking were basically the three guys making games at Ubisoft I cared for. Two out of three are no longer there.

but I have a bad memory and might be forgetting an ubi series I liked that they weren't involved with.

Raist

Banned
It's been canned, get over it GAF. Just let it go.

Linkzg said:
What are the chances the other person joining him is Patrice Désilets?

Désilets work for Ubi Montréal, doesn't he?

Gozan

Princess Skittles said:
Go ahead, just say it's canceled and make more fucking war and crime games for teenage boys.

Don't forget the Nintendo ripoffs. Ubisoft - we do what Nintendoes!

Empty

seriously though, this is so disappointing. having it actually teased in the first place, the style of that teaser trailer, that amazing leaked game footage, confirmation that christoph heral was going to be doing the soundtrack, tying up the massive set up for the sequel with the change in story direction for the first game. they all made it look so fantastic, yet it's never going to come to fruition, is it? which wouldn't bother me that much thanks to the first games' sales if they hadn't teased a sequel in the first place, but that they did and had ubisoft people talk about it multiple times, albeit not recently, makes it hurt.

Top Bottom