• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: BGE2 (maybe) cancelled, Michel Ancel to found new studio

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this makes me sad.

and not like, "oh, you mean they're not making x game" sad, but the sadness you feel when you hear someone you knew was a good person has died and understand that the world is somehow less without them in it, or the sadness you feel when you see a bottle of yoohoo in a trash can that's still three-quarters full and come to the realization that it's yoohoo no one will ever drink.

that kind of sad.

fernoca

Mejilan said:
I remember the leaked teaser video (I also remember it sucking), but what's this about gameplay? Was gameplay ever shown off or leaked?
This one probably. From one of the "chase sequences"...similar to the ones from the first game, but with the obvious visual upgrade.
It was never confirmed as real, though.

I boycotted LucasArts for over five years when they cancelled Freelance Police (03/03/04 NEVAR FORGET). This wouldn't be quite as crushing a blow for me... but it'd definately be in second place.

Lucas made it up to me by letting Telltale do Tales from Monkey Island and by making the special editions, but I'm not sure what Ubi would need to do. I knew I'd forgive Lucas is they made more Monkey Island.

Vinci

Danish
Glass Soldier said:
Nintendo should grab him. He's obviously one of the most talented and visionary game developers out there and this would be the perfect opportunity for Iwata to expand development outside of Japan.

People should really stop saying things like this everytime a developer is shuttered or a designer cuts loose from their corporate bonds. If Ancel does anything, it should be what grants him the most creative freedom. Working for Nintendo really wouldn't do that.

He should go indie if anything.

fernoca said:
This one probably. From one of the "chase sequences"...similar to the ones from the first game, but with the obvious visual upgrade.
It was never confirmed as real, though.

I think that was just a CG concept video, possibly leaked by the dev team to encourage Ubi higher-ups to let the game go forward. The assets look like they could have been in-game, but the animation just seems too perfectly fluid, the camera too perfectly cinematic, and the rendering too clean to be actual real-time gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-NhGanOAE

alone,girl,sad,sunset-b42cee74cd7851d9316e784bf9e2c1d4_m.jpg

eso76

nincompoop said:
Errr ever hear of Okami? Sphinx? Hell, I'd even take a lesser game like Dual Hearts over BGE.

But Okami came out like 3 years later, and i actually never heard of sphinx. Dual hearts ? oh well.

Vexidus

I always figured that Beyond Good & Evil 2 was too good to be true, even with teasers and acknowledgement from Ubi and whatnot, but I wanted to have a little bit of hope to hold onto.

Even knowing now that the rumour is false, I wouldn't be surprised if reality isn't far off.

In some parallel universe, Beyond Good & Evil was an astronomical success, and a big budget sequel would soon be on the way with Ancel at the helm. A majestic and sprawling game fulfilling even the wildest of dreams. Will that game ever see the light of day? It's getting harder and harder to grasp the idea that it will. Prove us wrong Ubi, please.

At the end of the day, even if a mediocre shovelware version of BG&E2 got released that was an absolute travesty, we will always have the timeless first game to experience again and again.

ArjanN

Buttonbasher said:
Bumping this to the new page.

Usually with these types of rumors where there's smoke, there's fire.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and BG&E2 get a big reveal at E3. God knows Ubisoft's E3 lineup can use it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Eurogamer quick article on rumours of Beyond Good & Evil 2 cancellation.

Ubisoft has dismissed suggestions that Michel Ancel has left the company, confirming that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development.

Word of the Rayman creator's supposed departure appeared on the internet last week. It was said that Ancel had left to set up his own studio, and that the BG&E2 project had been cancelled as a result.

But a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer, "There are no changes on the horizon."

When asked if that means Ancel is still at Ubi and that BG&E2 is still in development, the representative replied, "Yes."

It's been two years since the sequel was first announced, and since then there's been nothing more to see than the original teaser trailer. Here's hoping more is revealed soon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/beyond-good-and-evil-2-still-in-dev

Mael

I love journalists....seriously, you don't hear any news about the game being developped or any update?
It moist have been cancelled :lol

Busty

Banned
navanman said:
Eurogamer quick article on rumours of Beyond Good & Evil 2 cancellation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/beyond-good-and-evil-2-still-in-dev

What level of development is the project actually at?

Do they have people actively working on the game or is it just some rough character concepts scribbled on the back on an old envelope in a drawer somewhere?

The latter does not scream development to me. Development is a word that can mean everything or nothing.

I thought it had already been cancelled a while back or was that another rumour? Not that i'm complaining. I'd almost prefer to believe it is still cancelled, so i won't be heartbroken again if it doesn't pan out. I'm enormously thrilled that we're even getting a sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spotless Mind said:
I thought it had already been cancelled a while back or was that another rumour?

You're probably referring to this:

Wikipedia said:
During the Gamescom convention in August 2009, Ubisoft representatives stated that the game's development was officially on-hold. However, shortly after the convention Ubisoft stated in an interview that work on the title had been neither abandoned nor put on hold. When fans asked for clarifications regarding the mixed signals coming from Ubisoft, a UK forum manager stated that it wasn't technically possible for the game to be delayed since it had not actually been officially announced. In November 2009, Geoffroy Sardin, the General Director of Ubisoft France, said that the rumours about the game being put on hold were false and that development was still on-going.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_&_Evil_2#Announcement

What a clusterfuck. :lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
nincompoop said:
Errr ever hear of Okami? Sphinx? Hell, I'd even take a lesser game like Dual Hearts over BGE. The storyline and characters were insultingly bad, the gameplay was a by-the-numbers affair with boring stealth and photography elements tacked on, and the PS2 version was a technical mess with hideous graphics, horrendous framerate and annoying load times. The game was about as far from "Nintendo quality" as it gets.
Play the GameCube version, it runs great :). Despite that, Beyond Good and Evil is way beyond Okami and Sphinx in quality. I don't know Dual Hearts, however.

seb

Banned
wrowa said:
I am actually disappointed about this :(
I don't think that we will ever see BG&E2 becoming reality, it seems to be always floating in the development hell, somewhere between "on hold" and "canceled". So I'd like to see Ancel working with a new studio and a new publisher, which is willing to actually release and funding the games he wants to develop.

Well, the same site that says the rumor is fake also says that BGE2 is on track "more than ever" and that E3 will prove the doubters wrong.
If you trust the first piece of news (Ancel still at Ubi), I guess you can trust the 2nd (BGE2 at E3!) :D

Shiggy

Are they serious? 2010 will see the release of THI, 2011 the release of Tintin. Employees who had worked on BG&E2 until last fall were asked to work on Tintin. I really don't think that we'll see this title before 2012 as there are only a few people (if any) working on this title right now.

Update: http://www.wootgaming.fr/test-jeuvideo-585-bge-2-en-pause-le-point-.html
There are just four days we announced the creation of a new studio headed by Michel Ancel . Cette nouvelle, qui a depuis fait le tour du web mondial (et nous en sommes très fiers) a naturellement amenée nombre de questions quant au développement du très attendu Beyond Good & Evil 2. This news, which has since toured the world wide web (and we're very proud) has naturally led many questions about the development of the highly anticipated Beyond Good & Evil 2. Aujourd'hui nous sommes en mesure d'y voir plus clair. Today we are able to see clearer. Petit récapitulatif chronologique des faits. Small chronological summary of the facts.

- 27 Mai: parution de notre article, - May 27: Publication of our article

- 28 Mai: VG247 reprend la news qui se répand sur le web, - May 28: VG247 uses the news spreads on the web

- 28 Mai: Un des responsables d' Ubisoft Montpellier - May 28: One of the leaders of Ubisoft Montpellier nous contacte par téléphone afin de clarifier la situation et nous propose "la mise en place d'un processus de communication officielle", nos craintes concernant la mise en pause de BGE 2 s'accentuent, contact us by phone to clarify the situation and proposes "the establishment of a formal communication process, our concerns about pausing for BGE 2 are increasing,

- 28 Mai: Gameblog.fr dément formellement les faits , notons que nous n'avons jamais parlé d'un départ de Michel Ancel d'Ubisoft ni affirmé catégoriquement que BGE 2 était annulé (nous vous conseillons de passer en revue les commentaires de l'article qui apportent un complément d'information), - May 28: Gameblog.fr denies the facts , note that we never talked about a departure of Michel Ancel of Ubisoft stated categorically that neither BGE 2 was canceled (we recommend you review the comments of section which provide additional information),

- 28 Mai: Nous entrons en contact avec Emmanuel Carré, le RP d'Ubisoft France, celui-ci dément formellement, - May 28: We come into contact with Emmanuel Carré, the PR of Ubisoft France, it denies,

- 28 Mai: Notre source, craignant pour son poste, nous demande si nous avons communiqués des noms, nous lui répondons que non, - May 28: Our source, fearing for his job, asked us if we have disclosed the names, we answer no,

- 29 Mai: un ex-développeur proche de Michel Ancel ayant travaillé pour Cryo et Ubisoft confirme que ce dernier a formé une équipe plus petite afin de se consacrer à la production d'un nouvel épisode de Rayman mais également que le développement de Beyond Good & Evil 2 est en pause, les faits sont là: ici . - May 29: A former developer close to having worked for Michel Ancel and Ubisoft Freeze confirms that it has formed a smaller team to concentrate on the production of a new Rayman game but also the development of Beyond Good & Evil 2 is paused, the facts are there: here .

Pour résumer il semblerait que nos craintes soient fondées et il semble que ce soit un vrai merdier en interne, chacun ayant sa version des faits comme Factornews dont l'article se rapproche de nos informations. To summarize it seems that our fears are justified and it seems to be a real mess in the house, each with his version of events as Factornews which the article is closer to our information.

Dans tous les cas, une annonce devrait arriver rapidement. In all cases, an announcement should come soon.

http://www.factornews.com/news-28643-Rumeurs_de_depart_de_Michel_Ancel_le_poi.html
Our information also coming from Ubisoft, lie between the two versions: the development of the game would be especially chaotic, marked by paused, flashbacks and strokes by Michel Ancel. Ce dernier essaierait d'obtenir d' Ubisoft la création d'un studio plus indépendant sous sa direction, quitte à saborder le navire. The latter would try to get by Ubisoft to create a more independent studio under his direction, even scuttle the ship. Ce ne serait pas d'ailleurs la première fois qu'il fait cette sorte de chantage au cours de ces dernières années. It would not in fact the first time he done this sort of blackmail over the past years. Rien de bien nouveau en somme, même si la relation est loin d'être au beau fixe, et ce depuis plusieurs mois. Nothing new in fact, even if the relationship is far from looking good, and this for several months.

Don't know why it's a mixture of French and English now. What did Google Translate do ?:

The development of this game is sounding increasingly like a complete mess. Hope Ubisoft will bother letting us know when the game's eventually canned for real.

watkinzez

But a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer, "There are no changes on the horizon.

Funny, this statement is still valid if the game is indeed on hold (and I can't imagine how it couldn't be, Montpellier's schedule is packed as Shiggy said).

Melville

There's this too:

capturedcran20100601161.png

From the "Michel Ancel's unofficial Facebook fan page". Nicolas Choukroun used to work with Ancel, so this is a pretty reliable source.

nico

Banned
Melville said:
There's this too:

capturedcran20100601161.png

From the "Michel Ancel's unofficial Facebook fan page". Nicolas Choukroun used to work with Ancel, so this is a pretty reliable source.
fuck beyond good and evil.. new rayman???!!!!

Top Bottom