• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor has been cut from JL

I think I'm fine with this, mind you I'll take it with a huge grain of salt.

Hackman was very good as Luthor, his Luthor was more based off the golden age / silver age / bronze age sleazy "scientist / supervillain" though, with a bit of a businessman aspect throw in before that was even part of the character.

giphy.gif

Fucking Gene Hackman, GENE HACKMAN!!!, played Lex Luthor and we're all fawning over a D-tier TV actor.

This website sometimes.

Goddamit, top of the page.

Remember how Lex Luther was a stuttering, mumbling idiot in his speech in front of the crowd early in the movie?

WB should've fired Snyder and the writer of that scene right after filming that scene.

WB just needed a hit. Firing Snyder from BVS so soon would have been seen as bad for a look, even in retrospect. Still it's a dumb scene.

Bronx-Man

Banned
There's nothing wrong with the idea of casting Eisenberg as Lex. It has everything to do with how Snyder calibrated his performance. If Eisenberg had been directed to do something similar to his Social Network work, that would've been an all-time Lex take, imo.
Nah, the entire idea was fucked from the start. No one was ever going to reasonably buy Jesse Eisenberg as a reasonable threat to beefcake Supes.

What! Get out of here Hackman was great in the first be and entertaining in others.

Spacey wasn't exactly bad in the role either just stuck in a tepid film.

I think some people forget Hackman was based on pre-Crisis Lex Luthor. A lot of the ideas folks have for the modern Lex Luthor were established around Byrne's Man of Steel Lex in the mid '80s.

What made Spacey odd was having him as an odd blend of both.

Nah, the entire idea was fucked from the start. No one was ever going to reasonably buy Jesse Eisenberg as a reasonable threat to beefcake Supes.

Lex isn't ever a reasonable physical threat to Superman though. That's why the character is interesting. I hate the modern thing of putting him in a robo-suit so they can punch each other. He ought to be a mental threat to Superman. Eisenberg can do that incredibly well.

Slayven

I wouldn't go that far. The idea of a modern lex being a Zuckerberg type was sound. But goofy lines, shacky acting, and over all stupid story arc sunk it.

I liked him as Lex. I think the direction he was given was fucking awful. Why does he hate Superman? Why doesn't he just kill him? Why does he act so over the top all the time? That wasn't a personal choice I think. I think that was the direction given.

They wanted Heaths Joker. I mean ffs.

SpaceWolf

Banned
giphy.gif

Fucking Gene Hackman, GENE HACKMAN!!!, played Lex Luthor and we're all fawning over a D-tier TV actor.

This website sometimes.

Haha, I swear Inferno, I see you posting this gif roughly once every thread.

Gene Hackman's a fine actor, but I wasn't a fan of his overly comedic Lex, who was portrayed as something of a theatrical, dandyish fop...although as someone else mentioned, it was a fine interpretation of Lex's prior, and decidedly different, Golden Age characterization several decades back.

Nah, man...one day, I just want to see a Lex Luthor akin to something like this on screen:

07BKaJY.jpg

They really fucked up Lex Luthor in BvS.

Lex is one of the most iconic DC supervillians, and they ruined him in his first DCU appearance.

They made him into some sort of crazy Joker-Zuckerberg type, when he's supposed to be this evil corporate-greed mastermind type (aka a Diabolically Smart Donald Trump on Steroids)

Now the character is screwed forever in the DCU.

giphy.gif

This website sometimes.

Lol!

"This is Lex Luthor. Only one thing alive with less than four legs can hear this frequency, Superman, and that's you".

Rosenbaum was a very good Luthor for what Smallville was, but Hackman's just fit the character for the time. Plus it's Hackman, aside from maybe Superman IV, he doesn't usually phone it in, even in the worst film. His Luthor was a pompous sarcastic criminal, it was great.

Gene Hackman's a fine actor, but I wasn't a fan of his overly comedic Lex, who was portrayed as something of a theatrical, dandyish fop...although as someone else mentioned, it was a fine interpretation of Lex's prior, and decidedly different, Golden Age characterization several decades back.

Well Hackman's performance more fits that particular version of the character, as I mentioned.

I need to stop using it. :p

I don't disagree with your suggestion for what a new Lex could be. That's what I wanted to see Eisenberg play a version of too. I feel like, if they don't cut him from JL, there's a chance to course-correct. The end of BvS made it seem that the idea is that the alien contact warped Lex a little. Maybe he's recovered now, and more closely resembles the comic take. If not, then Flashpoint that shit.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I'd be okay for less of the BVS version of Eisenberg-Lex.
1L2mPLz.png

iHYJm0v.gif

But if you can get just the right ratios of some sort of Sorkin-Zuckerberg-Eisenberg-Lex amalgamation, I think I would enjoy that.

And no Jolly ranchers or granny's pee-pee tea talk either.
Unless they're green apple, i'm all right with those.

LosDaddie

Banned
Lex isn't ever a reasonable physical threat to Superman though. That's why the character is interesting. I hate the modern thing of putting him in a robo-suit so they can punch each other. He ought to be a mental threat to Superman. Eisenberg can do that incredibly well.

Correct. Lex vs Supes should be a Brawn vs Brains battle.

Eisenberg is fine for the role. Just don't make Lex out to be a mumbling, insecure idiot like he was in BvS. Lex needs to be cocksure, witty, and greedy.

LewieP

It works well when they make him a physically capable human, and despite being the strongest/smartest/richest/most powerful human, knowing Superman could still destroy him on a whim.

That's not to say they couldn't potentially have done something interesting with Eisenberg. The character was poorly written and the scenes were poorly directed. Luthor should be ego-driven, calculated and pushing boundaries of sanity, not goofy and unhinged.

Edit: I agree on the Lexosuit though. There are far more interesting ways of him being a threat.

Yes. I know some love his purple and green battle suit but it's so...lame. You have a schemer whose master plan is to physically punch Superman to death. And it's bizarre when in many of these instances, Luthor has drone bots that do the same without putting himself in danger.

Nah, man...one day, I just want to see a Lex Luthor like this on screen:

http://i.imgur.com/07BKaJY.jpg

An Elseworld Lex Luthor made in the 2000s? Maybe after the Elseworld Joker movie.

Harmen

Good, I hope I never have to see this Luthor on screen anymore. Same goes for Leto Joker. Two of the most cringeworthy blockbuster villains in recent years.

SpaceWolf

Banned
An Elseworld Lex Luthor made in the 2000s?

A Lex Luthor with depth and nuance, as opposed to an overly-hammy, cartoonish caricature...something which I feel all three of the cinematic Luthors we've had so far have had in common.

EDIT: I don't want to be that asshat who touts his opinions as facts and is all like "Everyone's favoured interpretation of this character is wrong! This is what the character should be!". That's just how I feel on the subject of Luthor. No worries if anyone else feels differently.

Busty

Banned
It's not impossible if he had a small supporting role which I'm assuming is the case.

On the other hand we haven't heard about any actors being cast in new roles (like Star Trek Beyond) as far as I'm aware so if they were to cut Luther from the film it was probably a pretty inconsequential role to the plot.

Eh. We'll see soon enough.

dcelw540

I'd be okay for less of the BVS version of Eisenberg-Lex.
1L2mPLz.png

iHYJm0v.gif

But if you can get just the right ratios of some sort of Sorkin-Zuckerberg-Eisenberg-Lex amalgamation, I think I would enjoy that.

And no Jolly ranchers or granny's pee-pee tea talk either.
Unless they're green apple, i'm all right with those.

That's what I thought for sure we were gonna get, the social network is the perfect lex.

Gene Hackman was fantastic in the role and was a great rendition of the goofy golden age Lex. But I agree that that's not really what we need out of that character anymore. In another universe, Dwayne Johnson would have been the perfect candidate for live-action TAS Lex.

But if he doesn't return as Sinestro (and he won't, obviously), Mark Strong would be a good replacement as papa Lex. Just say that Eisenberg was stabbed in prison and Lex Senior comes back out of his retreat in the Himalayas or something.

While we're at it, fake Joker Leto is also killed in prison during the same riot and the real Joker comes back. Turns out Leto was Jason Todd the whole time! Thank you, thank you.

rackham

Banned
Take a terrible person and make them a terrible version of an awful person. Someone somewhere thought that it would work but everything about him in that role was just awful. He was the worst part of BvS and they shoe horned in Doomsday in that movie.

Best thing they could do with the character would be to run with the Junior thing and have his dad come back into the picture and take the reigns.

That's basically what they were planning with the Green Goblin after ASM2. Harry was the Goblin in that movie but Norman was going to make his return in the next movie since Harry sucked. They never got that far though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Stop. Posting. Rumors from those sites. Jesus christ. Batman-news.com got it from a Twitter Q and A from Batmon-on-Film.com which it turn probably got it from the Reddit "info" dump from a few days ago. When will you guys learn to stop doing this!?!?

Top Bottom