• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 'Kid-friendly' Fantastic Four reboot in the works

Doctor Doom still being held hostage so this could get made. Sounds about right.

Doom tried being in a movie once (thrice)... he found it, beneath him.

If they are going that route, why not just adapt the FF series by Hickman after Johnny Storm came back. Just follow around the kids and the weird, freaky shit they got into. That could be really great if they got someone smart to adapt it.

And it would give me Dragon Man on the big screen.

No, make this one a major theatre release for adults in 10 years. And don't make Galactus some meteor space ball.
That series was so unbelievable good, in the Top5 Marvel storylines over all franchises for me.

The idea for a kid-friendly FF is good though. Make it like "Science is awesome, exploration is in mankinds genes". Some positive 60's science show vibe infused into it.

No, make this one a major theatre release for adults in 10 years. And don't make Galactus some meteor space ball.
That series was so unbelievable good, in the Top5 Marvel storylines over all franchises for me.

The idea for a kid-friendly FF is good though. Make it like "Science is awesome, exploration is in mankinds genes". Some positive 60's science show vibe infused into it.
I am confused. Are you saying adapting FF (Future Foundation) is a good idea or bad idea?

dci260

It will be shit like all their other attempts. Their best bet is to either work out a deal with Marvel creatively, like Spider-Man, or just let the rights revert so that they can stop losing money on these films.

smoothj

I don't get how the F4 are still popular. Non of my friends ever cared for them including myself. Only Doom.

I am confused. Are you saying adapting FF (Future Foundation) is a good idea or bad idea?

Sorry. I mean it's a fantastic idea! But not now and not aimed at kids (and including the stuff before Johnny came back).

Make a kids-friendly movie now, with the right vibe it could be really good. It could be good version of what Lost in Space was going for, needs more positivity and a vintage touch.

Sorry. I mean it's a fantastic idea! But not now and not aimed at kids (and including the stuff before Johnny came back).

Make a kids-friendly movie now, with the right vibe it could be really good. It could be good version of what Lost in Space was going for, needs more positivity and a vintage touch.
That's what I thought you were getting at. Thanks for clarifying.

Number_6

I have zero faith in Fox here. They succeeded with Deadpool because they had passionate people on it (Reynolds) and selling violence and dirty jokes is relatively simple. People came in droves. I mean, these days pg13 is more like a soft pg. Deadpool was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

FF is much more challenging when it comes to public interest, even before the shitty Fox movies (and that first wasn't all bad). There's plenty of great material. It could be epic as all hell. But there has to be a buildup. And they can't get even one basic FF story done well.

Sell it to Marvel. They can do a good movie, have a Spidey cameo. Let Torch cameo in the next Spidey movie.

Then go full Hickman.

Caj814

I have zero faith in Fox here. They succeeded with Deadpool because they had passionate people on it (Reynolds) and doing violence and dirty jokes is relatively simple. People came in droves. I mean, these days pg13 is more like a soft pg. Deadpool was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

FF is much more challenging when it comes to public interest, even before the shitty Fox movies (and that first wasn't all bad). There's plenty of great material. It could be epic as all hell. But there has to be a buildup. And they can't get even one basic FF story done well.

Sell it to Marvel. They can do a good movie, have a Spidey cameo. Let Torch cameo in the next Spidey movie.

Then go full Hickman.

Never

Fox will hold on to the FF rights until they have another mountain of failed attempts before ever giving it back to Marvel. If the last stinker hasn't swayed them to cut a deal with Marvel I don't think anything will.

Temp_User

Reminds me of the time Universal reworked the Justin Beiber movie script and slapped in a Jem and the Holograms license to it.
What could possibly go wrong?

Diaper-tastic Fantastic Four sounds almost as awful as the grey-tinted borefest they squeezed out the last time they attempted one of these misbegotten reboots.

yunbuns

If I haven't cared about Susan and Reed in the first three movies, why do they think they can make me care about their children?

Sure, why not. After last time, what can possibly go wrong. Though I suppose anything is better than the direction (or lack thereof?) taken for the 2015 reboot, which I genuinely consider to be the worst superhero flick I've sat through by virtue of how drab, dull, dour and lifeless it is. A kiddy version at least on paper would exude some fun and personality.

Slayven

suNiqY8.jpg

They could do this replace The Recorder with Herbie, manthing with a some widget, and Howard with wacky alien #3929

Kevinroc

Aren't Fox still kicking themselves for letting Daredevil slip through their hands? They ain't letting go of the FF unless they really have to!

Jarlaxle

Can't wait to see how horrible they make Dr. Doom in this one. Every time I think it can't be worse they prove me wrong.

Fuchsdh

I mean, the original comics were "kid-friendly" and they were good. My only qualms are 1) their current track record, and 2) that "kid-friendly" is almost as big a warning sign as "edgy and dark" in suggesting something veering off the rails.

7Th

Dr. Doom will be Valeria's wacky uncle she likes more than her dad, right? I actually like Doom's relationship with Valeria better than the usual Doomwank you see elsewhere.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, hmm.

Franklin is a mutant, and since Fox has the X-Men rights, they can exploit the mutant angle. That might help give it a little boost I guess. If they actually end up doing this.

I've been thinking one of these studios needs to do an Incredibles/Sky High/Spy Kids/Shark Girl & Lava Boy kind of live action film to appeal to a kid audience with the Marvel license. Maybe that's what this is trying to be.

But even with all that in mind, the way Fox has treated the FF franchise so far has been terrible, so it's hard to be optimistic.

Sponge

Banned
I'm just so sick of the Fantastic Four being stuck at Fox. Perfectly fine that they have the X-Men and Deadpool though.

Top Bottom