• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*RUMOR* Kotaku headlines: Xbox One to launch on November 8, 2013!

cchum

Can't wait to see the NPD numbers of the next month, Not because i'm interested in the next gen battle, i just want to see how much units the WiiU will sell.

k0WAsOk.png

Could Sony even retaliate? How likely is it that they could make their launch on the same day, if not earlier? (omg, same day launch.. the riots would be glorious)

Retaliate to what, exactly? There's a lot of commentary in threads about who launches first, what impact does it have, what does the other do, etc.

Microsoft is only going to be able to produce but so many units of Xbox One and get them to market this year. Sony is going to have similar constraints on PS4. One week apart, one month apart, it hardly matters in the end as the numbers are going to be supply-constrained, not demand constrained, unless one or both have a mediocre, Wii U-like debut on the market, which I don't believe we will see for either this year.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am debating getting on the mic at the reception and thanking everyone for coming to my Playstation 4 launch party.

*1 hour later* "Aside from being a PS4 launch party, it's also my divorce party!"

I hope you find time, man! But don't forget about the Mrs.

coldfoot

Banned
Smart date as the extremely limited number of Xbones will be long gone from shelves by 11/15, making room for millions and millions of PS4's.
LOL, it doesn't matter one way or another.

7 days is nothing over an 8-year cycle. MS will release when ready just like Sony.

I doubt the validity of the source of that rumour.

Saying that, the date posted would be my guess of when MS would be aiming to launch if they were capable of it.

So even if it's fake, it's still a decent guess.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hardly surprising. I would've waited until Microsoft to announce a release date to reveal mine if I was Sony.

I am still trying to figure out how this could be an advantage. The people who know about the release date will also know about the PS4 release date, so one week won't make any difference here. And the number of people casually walking into a store between 8th and 15th, seeing the console, and buying it immediately will be negligible.

I'd be just happy that both consoles don't collide on the same week for those who buy both, so every console get's the attention it deserves.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hardly surprising. I would've waited for MS to announce a release date to reveal mine if I was Sony.

I think Sony knows what they're doing and are very confident in fulfilling the demand as they have a ton of pre-orders already. The thing that bodes well is them not just rushing to win some kind of false victory. I think they know the date is right and can produce a lot of units.

Both will hit before black Friday so it will be crazy.

Cth

So, anyone wanna guess how the NPD PR statements will be worded for November?

Top Units sold? Top Revenue?

So how did this happen? Everything seemed to imply Xbox was having trouble and Sony was primed.

Damn you, cboat!!

I'd think MS can win over some on the fence, if not for that $100 hike.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I am still trying to figure out how this could be an advantage. The people who know about the release date will also know about the PS4 release date, so one week won't make any difference here. And the number of people casually walking into a store between 8th and 15th, seeing the console, and buying it immediately will be negligible.

I'd be just happy that both consoles don't collide on the same week for those who buy both, so every console get's the attention it deserves.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I think launching first could help with pulling in sales from uninformed consumers who just want a game console, such as parents.
I think Sony knows what they're doing and are very confident in fulfilling the demand as they have a ton of pre-orders already. The thing that bodes well is them not just rushing to win some kind of false victory. I think they know the date is right and can produce a lot of units.

Both will hit before black Friday so it will be crazy.

That's why I thought they'd wait. They definitely seem to have a head start in manufacturing - figured they would wait until Microsoft announces their date, then launch a week or so earlier.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Write it off as a birthday/Wedding present for yourself

Listen to our expert advice!

Parents aren't going to buy a $500 console without information.

Bingo. People aren't just going to walk up and see a new Xbox for 500 and not be informed. Especially when there is another more powerful and stacked alternative coming a week later.

You better believe people are going to be informed when spending high volumes of money.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I think launching first could help with pulling in sales from uninformed consumers who just want a game console, such as parents.

That's why I thought they'd wait. They definitely seem to have a head start in manufacturing - figured they would wait until Microsoft announces their date, then launch a week or so earlier.

Yeah, but it's $500...

Presumably, stores are promoting the consoles, and consumers will see the "PS3 for $399 out Nov 15" signs.

The MS faithful are in the pocket, but I am curious how many MS can pocket within a week... then again, launch isn't everything, right?

What consoles will even be available for walk-ins that first week? I figured they'd all be reserved.

Samyy

So how did this happen? Everything seemed to imply Xbox was having trouble and Sony was primed.

Damn you, cboat!!

Uh 32 countries vs 13 plus they seem to have more stock?

demolitio

Damn you, cboat!!

Not saying the supply issues are bad for MS since I have no clue, but releasing earlier doesn't automatically mean they're in better shape for launch. For all we know, they could have a very small supply but by selling them first and immediately selling out, it could create more buzz around it like it's the next big thing to sell out nonstop. If you have less units and less countries to launch in, might as well make an advantage wherever you can.

Not saying it will make a huge difference anyway. A week is hardly a year and most day one buyers are gamers that preordered anyway.

BTW, when should we expect advertising? Sony and MS are both going to go all out, and Im sure general consumers will be aware of price and exclusives, date, etc.

Has the XBOX ONE received its FCC Certification? I haven't seen it mentioned or a thread made about it. I have seen the PS4 FCC Certification.

EDIT: I see some other posters read my post and made somewhat similar post, to make it seem original.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What consoles will even be available for walk-ins that first week? I figured they'd all be reserved.

Xbox One isn't sold out yet, right? I haven't checked in a while, but as far as I know it's still readily available

edit: oh, maybe not. Amazon doesn't guarantee release date delivery. No idea about Walmart and other retailers, but I do know they just started taking preorders

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Not sure how much there is to pull in with even retailers like Wal-Mart and Target getting into the preorder business. It's not as if you're going to see either console on shelves this year.

ElTorro

Still, those would have to accidentally walk into a store during that week without having gathered any information before that. That has become increasingly rare in the age of the internet. And any kid explicitly wishing a new console would have state some preference. I think it's negligible.

It's just good news for people who want an Xbone and a console war achievement for the rest.

Damn you, cboat!!

I dunno... dropping launch from 21 countries to 13 might be it which is a bad situation just to try to fight off PS4 on home turf while giving up everywhere else.

Squire

Banned
I really don't see a week making much of a difference. Every retailer worth paying attention to is still saying the PS4 has it beat 2 to 1 for launch, so... what?

HORRORSHØW

Dumb questions: Can Microsoft begin manufacturing consoles without FCC certification? How long does that process usually take?

Xamdou

I really don't see a week making much of a difference. Every retailer worth paying attention to is still saying the PS4 has it beat 2 to 1 for launch, so... what?

Really? Still four months away from launch and your saying the PS4 won already? Lmao! Nice hyperbole.

Grimløck;78497821 said:
Dumb questions: Can Microsoft begin manufacturing consoles without FCC certification? How long does that process usually take?

I'm curious about this too since PS4 passed FCC awhile ago and nothing is heard of from X1

Lunzio

Smart if true, but 1 week doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. The sales will play out as if they were launched on the same day.

ElTorro

<tinfoilhat>
I am picturing rooms full of NSA operators getting ready to analyze photos of naked people sitting on couches, with a countdown clock slowly counting down to the 8th of November. Remember, remember...
</tinfoilhat>

Top Bottom