• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*RUMOR* Kotaku headlines: Xbox One to launch on November 8, 2013!

I would assume that the wording from Nintendo fans would be something along he lines of "Have you heard of this? Please buy one!"
Shiiiiieeeeet! The most hostile console campout I ever experienced was for the Wii. I had a soccer mom screaming at me as soon as I parked and started walking toward the store.

lvlzero

Banned
Fun fact, if true.

Xbox one outsells ps4 "because of week more on sale
Ps4 outsells bone "best you even with your head start

Xbox can't win

Roxas

I just cant see November 8th. Didnt EA say that Need for Speed Rivals was a launch game? That doesnt come out until the 22nd November on all other consoles...

Footos22

it really doesn't matter how much earlier they release.
We're not talking 6 months - a year. We are talking 7 days. Ms are'nt suddenly going to have a shit load of stock ready for high street shoppers to pick up.
They probably wont even be able to pick one up till next year if preorders being sold out is true.

I really don't think a week headstart will change the tides that drastically, especially if the X1 has less hardware to distribute. Of course if their after the consumer hyping "sold out in a week flat!!" headlines, then they might be okay with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So MS is releasing the Xbox one in fewer countries, thus having more units to sell to their primary focus countries. You can be sure that MS is allocating a shiet ton of units to the U.S market, and releasing a week earlier than their competition will give them a week head start to sell even more units. November NPD will be glorious, a great sign of the upcoming months to come.

If these dates are correct, I'd bet on Sony selling more PS4s in the US despite launching a week later. I just can't see MS having enough stock, otherwise they'd have not cut back on launch markets

FeiRR

Banned
I can imagine Microsoft pulling another PR stunt like that. They launch 8th in the US with a very limited supply, which of course sells in minutes and they announce "see, we've sold everything, people are camping outside Gamestops to get our console!" In reality, they're having difficulties with putting their system together and yield issues with that enormous SoC they're making. I'm also expecting them to have some hardware problems just because of their history and many things adding up like recent changes in the hardware, no FCC approval, system not being shown live, day 1 patch, what their execs say and many, many things. This is a gut feeling, nothing can prove it, neither I'm trying to force anybody to believe. You can prepare crow, just in case. I like it rare.

ekim

Someone working at a retailer here in Germany told me, that the Xbox One and all first party launch games are now listed for November 22 in their system since gamescom.
So 2 weeks after US then if true.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well here is how I look at this.

There is no reason to launch during the final week of Nov with black friday. That's a nonsense move.

You don't have any concern about "competition" for sales no. As pointed out, but there is a competition for the airwaves. The press are going to have a field day, the last thing they want is to see line comparisons or too share the week of news with their competitor.

They will NOT launch in the same week as sony.

So that leaves the week between PS4 and Black Friday, or the first week of November. With their previous console launches being on a Tuesday and Thursday in US, I would say there is no good guess for the specific date, but Nov 8th does put them 7 days ahead of PS4.

So it's not a bad guess, though I would have personally guessed we would see these consoles launch early in the week, not on fridays.

If this is correct (seems well reasoned), then I wonder if it is possible that Sony announced their date to try and pressure MS into going late (and being affected by Black Friday), or going early and pressuring production?

miso_Jeff

Banned
I don't think so, MS isn't going to give up the U.S market according to the points I made earlier. Also if you have seen their Xbox one unboxing video, they already have begun making em as early as the beginning of August. Their unboxing video was four months before the consoles release day btw.

You think there could be a chance they put that box together just for the unboxing? According to your logic, i'm not saying it's wrong, when they showed the OS running the first time they showed the Xbox One it should have been finalized and done by now.

Since they had it up and running months and months ago, but we all know that it's not finalized yet and hasn't been showed running to the public since then, also hasn't there been reports that the OS during the first X1 presentation was just a "representation" of how they wanted the OS to run when it's finally done?

Maybe, just maybe they wanted to show you what would be coming in the box when you get your new Xbox One?

iBuzz7S

Banned
Sony didn't let a single thing leak this year. Microsoft on the other hand...
They didn't? Because I could swear a week before the PS4 reveal, pictures of the controller were floating on the internet, along with the dev kit.

http://kotaku.com/5984353/this-is-a-real-prototype-ps4-controller

There we go.

Microsoft on the other hand, nothing leaked prior to the Xbox One reveal. Nothing about the slimmer and redesigned Xbox 360 console leaked prior to E3 as well. Unless I can be proven wrong...

Anyway, as long as my pre-order from the Microsoft Store arrives ON the day of launch and in the morning, I'm happy.

Syntax

I really don't think a week headstart will change the tides that drastically, especially if the X1 has less hardware to distribute. Of course if their after the consumer hyping "sold out in a week flat!!" headlines, then they might be okay with that.
Aren't both Xbox One and Playstation 4 going to be sold out due to pre-orders anyway? I mean, will there be actual systems available at retailers for those that haven't pre-ordered?

Syntax

They didn't? Because I could swear a week before the PS4 reveal, pictures of the controller were floating on the internet, along with the dev kit.

There we go.

Microsoft on the other hand, nothing leaked prior to the Xbox One reveal. Nothing about the slimmer and redesigned Xbox 360 console leaked prior to E3 as well. Unless I can be proven wrong...

Anyway, as long as my pre-order from the Microsoft Store arrives ON the day of launch and in the morning, I'm happy.
What about Adam Orth and all that jazz? Wasn't that revealed before being officially announced?

Sounds like Xbox One will pwn PS4 in terms of holiday sale.

Because so many will run out and buy the system whichever launches first, no matter if the better/cheaper system will come out only a week after, right?
And the public perception of both systems will also be completely forgotten by launch, won't it?

this is not about winning or not, at this point it pretty clear MS will be at teh backseat for for the following years. This is more about how the management are reacting towards the changenges of competition.
Probably the week of advantage will have some marginal benefitt on sales, it would be better if they manage to get a deal like FIFA14 in Europe.
MS now seems like a more dinamic company compare to Mattrick's. I'm really eager to see what are they going to do next to keep the competition up, so far they are doing it right.

weevles

There should be an allocation of in-store/non-preorder consoles available at launch, no matter what day it ends up being.

I don't see a week earlier being a really big advantage, but I'm sure MS would love to take whatever they can get at this point. Baby steps...

SpartanN92

Banned

There we go.

The specs leaked months in advance.

ActionMan

If true, that would be quite a heroic effort from Microsoft as they seemed to be nowhere near ready. I do however think there are NO people left on the fence, so it doesn't matter in what order both consoles launch.

Would be great for MS but I doubt it since it seems MS is having wrapping up the XB1.
Sony made a smart move by releasing a week before black friday (probably they could have release sooner) but it forces MS to release early since they can't afford missing that date.
In the other hand could be possible that MS was holding the release date on purpouse to make Sony make the first move and take advantage.

Wouldn't be the first time MS waits for someone else to act. They have been doing that nearly their entire corporate existence.

KoopaTheCasual

Someone working at a retailer here in Germany told me, that the Xbox One and all first party launch games are now listed for November 22 in their system since gamescom.

Cool. More confirmation. Really wonder why they didn't announce this at Gamescom, since it seems like they've decided on the date since then.

Remember how the PS4 October 21 date was pretty much guaranteed? Think I'm gonna wait for MS' statement on this one before I start booking holidays.

Syntax

Totally 7 whole days extra on sale, that'll give them the less for AT LEAST.. a week

"The number one next gen gaming system worldwide! Get yours today from the following retailers."

"Xbox One: The hottest, fastest selling next generation game console in America. Pick yours up today!"

Cool. More confirmation. Really wonder why they didn't announce this at Gamescom, since it seems like they've decided on the date since then.
Had Sony managed an October release, the Xbox dates might have been pushed up a bit from what we're seeing (assuming they're even accurate).

Syntax

Woah. Totally blew my mind. Completely forgot that WiiU is considered next gen. But I'm sure they can word it to the same effect regardless.

It's the same reason every movie is called the "#1 movie in America". Just narrow it down enough to make yourself the winner.

Pop

"The number one next gen gaming system worldwide! Get yours today from the following retailers."

"Xbox One: The hottest, fastest selling next generation game console in America. Pick yours up today!"

fuckkkkkk

The brain dead will surely go purchase the $100 more weaker console now.

Steroyd

November 8th would make sense for MS in getting the console out the door, but the moment when Sony announced Watch Dogs as a launch title, I was almost certain that the PS4 was going to release in the latter half of November and then they announced the release date...

Fun fact, if true.

Xbox one outsells ps4 "because of week more on sale
Ps4 outsells bone "best you even with your head start

Xbox can't win

I think it'll be used more to gauge MS' shipping capabilities, because with them feeling the need to chop 8 countries back into 2014 from, doesn't inspire confidence on front especially if they release on the 8th where they'd have almost a whole month to re-supply.

Myshkin

Smart move by MS if true, a one week head start will definitely help them a whole lot.

So... MS dropped 8 launch countries in order to launch ahead of Sony.
I know how this forum game is played.

In other news, stopped by Walmart today. No next-gen placards seen in layaway area (at least what I think is the layaway spot), and no placards in electronics. X360 area has grown suddenly! Now at 3 glass panels, big change. Possibility that MS has pushed for more space in anticipation of wanting it for X1. Space was mostly taken from 3DS, which now only has 1.14 panels, plus a non-glass side area. Also, OMG, Angry Birds Fruit Snacks only 2 dollars!

1 week before PS4 in NA and the bigger EU countries is a good move for them

Dunkers92

3 days after COD? Boy that would be an interesting few days for retail that's for sure

My friend is a manger at my local GAME store, I've asked him does he know anything. I'll come back if I get an answer.

I work at GAME and have been asking my manager. We have heard nothing. The only thing that has changed is now we are on phase 2 preorders like the PS4 It's the GAME managers conference next week so we may know more then.

Top Bottom