• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked Screens of Smash 3DS Shows Character Select Screen, Stages

leroidys

The bolded... i know it's an opinion but i strongly disagree. Xenoblade's designs are really beautiful, personally i feel they're a lot more interesting than FE ones that go a lot more quickly into the generic anime zone (not that i don't like them, i just think Xenoblade one's are a lot more original tbh)

And Duck Hunt dog is clearly a joke character on the roster (like Phoenix on MVC3), trying to find some sense in it is silly, just relax and enjoy them dude.

(I'd have loved Kumatora, though, and i hope Lucas comes eventually)

I am relaxed, that's why I had the trailing "but whatev". I think that the roster looks good despite the couple backward steps from brawl (no IC, PT split up, Zelda split up, 3 Pikmin) likely caused by the need for parity between 3DS and Wii U versions.

The only thing that bothers me about Shulk is that it's not Reyn instead.

But I'd be very disappointed if the game ends up having no playable Xenoblade characters at all, so I think this is great.

Why would Reyn (or Fiora, Dunban, or anyone else) get in before Shulk? He's the main character of a game that currently has no reps in Smash. If it's anyone, it's him.

All the clones are together for some reason.

Well, also the leaker said it's not necessarily the final roster. Maybe there are more characters. Remember how the roster moved around in Melee and Brawl as characters got unlocked? It might still be moving!!!!!

Well, also the leaker said it's not necessarily the final roster. Maybe there are more characters. Remember how the roster moved around in Melee and Brawl as characters got unlocked? It might still be moving!!!!!

They wouldn't suddenly jump all over the board

And wait, the leaker said this wasn't necessarily the final roster, but this is supposedly the stuff sent to the ESRB?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Why would Reyn (or Fiora, Dunban, or anyone else) get in before Shulk? He's the main character of a game that currently has no reps in Smash. If it's anyone, it's him.

Personal preference. Shulk is pretty boring compared to the rest of the cast.

Either way, I'm not saying it would make more sense for someone else to be in over him.

Ryce

They didn't "move" -- hidden characters were simply slotted in between the starting characters. The only exception is Luigi swapping places with Pikachu in Melee, but none of that explains or justifies Yoshi interrupting the main Super Mario cast, the three clones at the end, or Shulk being with the guests. Adding in additional characters isn't going to change any of that.

Neiteio

They didn't "move" -- hidden characters were simply slotted in between the starting characters. The only exception is Luigi swapping places with Pikachu in Melee, but none of that explains or justifies Yoshi interrupting the main Super Mario cast, the three clones at the end, or Shulk being with the guests. Adding in additional characters isn't going to change any of that.
Adding in extra characters would fill out the bottom row so it's half third-party and half first-party.

The clones being in their own corner makes sense insofar as they're only marginally different and Sakurai might want to treat them like "bonuses."

Yoshi being in the Mario row might just be Sakurai acknowledging that while he has his own series, he's still a Mario universe character. He didn't get his own title card in the first trailer, either. Feels appropriate to have him after the Mario vets but before the Mario newcomers since he still appears in Mario games to this day.

I'm just saying, the rules governing these matters might not be as rigid as we once thought.

Ryce

The clones being in their own corner makes sense insofar as they're only marginally different and Sakurai might want to treat them like "bonuses."
That still doesn't make any sense. Melee's clones were also "bonuses," but they were still attached to their respective series. Characters should be grouped by series, and they have been for the last three games. What separates a "pure clone" from a "somewhat unique clone" is a completely arbitrary distinction -- there just isn't any reason for Toon Link to hang around the Zelda characters while someone like Dr. Mario (who probably wouldn't use the F.L.U.D.D.) is randomly thrown in at the end. A character is a character.

Yoshi being in the Mario row might just be Sakurai acknowledging that while he has his own series, he's still a Mario universe character. He didn't get his own title card in the first trailer, either.
Yoshi wasn't in the first trailer, so obviously he wouldn't get his own title card.

Feels appropriate to have him after the Mario vets but before the Mario newcomers since he still appears in Mario games to this day.
I don't see how that's at all appropriate. In Smash Bros. he still represents his own series -- he has an egg icon, his own stage, his own All-Star battle, and his own set of trophies. He still appeared in Mario games during the development of SSB64, Melee, and Brawl, too, but he didn't disrupt the main series characters in those games.

I'm just saying, the rules governing these matters might not be as rigid as we once thought.
Rigidity isn't my issue -- it's that Sakurai and his wife have exercised incredible sensibility and aestheticism in every game they've ever worked on, but this select screen throws all of those values out the window. It's ugly, disorderly, and nonsensical. It's set up exactly like the countless dream rosters and bad hoaxes I've seen over the years.

There's also the issue of the guest characters appearing in the order of Pac-Man/Mega Man/Sonic but the stages appearing as Mega Man/Pac-Man/Sonic. There's just a lot of all-around sloppiness.

doofy102

People asking, "But where are the mii's!" need to look at the pictures for a bit longer.

And Nintendo should bring back Duck Hunt as a unique competitive multiplayer. Hunter and dog vs ducks.

Majukun

It seems impossible that nobody noticed it so I ask...why the lack of mii fighters in the character selection screen?

doofy102

It seems impossible that nobody noticed it so I ask...why the lack of mii fighters in the chsracter selection screen?

Because there's a separate menu for mii's, as shown in the very same leak-summary image. Did you look at anything other than the character roster screen?

Mii's probably get their own menu because of the extra on-screen customization and UI required to access to the Wii U's profiles and saved Mii's and whatnot.

If I had to put money on it I'd say it's real.

Skeptics: make a Smash 4 style character model from scratch, somebody. I want to see it done.

Majukun

Because there's a separate menu for mii's, shown in the very same leak image.

Mii's probably get their own menu because of the extra on-screen customization and whatnot.
how exactly would that work?what if i want to select a normal character and fight a mii?there doesn't seem to be any shortcut from one screen to the other,so i select my character in that selection screen and then what?go back one menù and enter the mii selection screen?sounds sloppy as hell
Also,all characters have customization options,both for moves and gears

54BFEzm.png

Fair enough.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm calling fake.

Why the hell would they cut a completely unique character that has been in two Smash games?

If this is real, that also means they cut the only Star Fox character that was fun to play as.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That wario face isn't even remotely similar, his front row of teeth is covered as he's slightly downward angled.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
lol new characters are so much work there's no way they'd be $2. Like $5 minimum individually, probably all bundled together in a pack for $20

A single fighting game character is frequently as much work to produce as an entire small-scale game so don't expect those to be cheap.

The $2 price would have been for the individual characters, not the entire possible pack :p

A more reasonable price for a potential pack would be $9.99 or even $14.99, and besides, the question was "would you pay for them?", so I gave an answer.

If they put the hunting dog in, that terrible laugh of his will be in as well.

This cannot be allowed to happen.

I need this to happen.

Majukun

I still need domeone to explain me the lack of mii fighters in the character selection screen in a way that makes sense...because a separated menù would mean that you can't make a vs cpu between a normal character and a mii fighter,since there is no button prompt or touch screen link to the supposed 'mii fighters screen' in that leak.
And that would be a really blatant omission

I still need domeone to explain me the lack of mii fighters in the character selection screen in a way that makes sense...because a separated menù would mean that you can't make a vs cpu between a normal character and a mii fighter,since there is no button prompt or touch screen link to the supposed 'mii fighters screen' in that leak.
And that would be a really blatant omission

Miis take the random slot if customization is on (which in the screens, it's off)

How does the leaker know that there will be DLC if these are screenshots that were simply sent to the ESRB? None of the stories are adding up. The Smashboards mods are probably in on this, considering they keep changing the narrative.

Majukun

Miis take the random slot if customization is on (which in the screens, it's off)
It's this confirmed of it's a theory?because there's enough space for another slot without sacrificing the random selection option.also mii fighters have probably a 'base form' too,since all characters can be customised as we already saw...so it would be strange to be unable to play them if you don't allow customisation

Hatchtag

Banned
How does the leaker know that there will be DLC if these are screenshots that were simply sent to the ESRB? None of the stories are adding up. The Smashboards mods are probably in on this, considering they keep changing the narrative.

There's absolutely no way they'd be clever enough to pull this off. If they're involved in any way, it's just that the fake leaker took their leak and based his leak around it.

Personal preference. Shulk is pretty boring compared to the rest of the cast.

Either way, I'm not saying it would make more sense for someone else to be in over him.

Eh, I don't think Shulk is boring at all, personally. Would be a blast to play as in a Smash game. Different strokes I guess.

This whole thing is moving too fast to keep up so not sure if this has been posted yet. Was a leak posted back before these pictures popped up. Matches with the current leaks if it's anything to go by.

ERZBZqB.jpg

Neoxon

This whole thing is moving too fast to keep up so not sure if this has been posted yet. Was a leak posted back before these pictures popped up. Matches with the current leaks if it's anything to go by.

ERZBZqB.jpg
The quoted part, yes. The rest isn't part of the original leak.

Top Bottom