• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft is interested in buying AMD

What do you think of this proposed buyout?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Somnid

I'd be okay with this. Anything not Samsung, Intel, Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, MediaTek etc. The one thing I'd hate is to see them combined into another chipmaker and less choices overall. I'd like to see someone else get into the chip business and innovate for their own purposes.

iamblades

On the one hand we need a well funded AMD to compete with Intel.

On the other hand, aside from being able to solve AMD's debt problems, Microsoft doesn't really get AMD anything it needs to be able to compete with Intel.

super6646

Banned
On the one hand we need a well funded AMD to compete with Intel.

On the other hand, aside from being able to solve AMD's debt problems, Microsoft doesn't really get AMD anything it needs to be able to compete with Intel.

Doesn't matter. AMD is being bankrupted by two competitors, it cannot sustain itself for much longer. Its perferable for them to be bought, then to end up with no competition in the market.

God, I would choke. I can already see exclusive Amiibos bundling with graphic cards.

That'd be hilarious. And awesome.

Can you imagine this as an Amiibo?
frogmech.0.jpg

Renekton

This will not be good for the PC GPU market, as of now we have two similar companies in size that can trade blows and compete with eachother, but if Microsoft (a huge company) get AMD then Nvidia will not even be able to compete or keep up with AMD infinite resources, it'll be a one sided show with Microsoft against a tiny company like Nvidia and we'll end with one company only (Microsoft/AMD) in the desktop GPU market.
I think Team Green will pull far further ahead at the post-M&A confusion.

x86 is poisoned chalice.

QuikNez

MS buying AMD is plausible, but I wouldn't bet on it, I have a hard time believing that Satya could tie such an acquisition into its productivitiy first strategy and its overall more agnostic stance on platforms.

To me, GAF is infamous for its business literacy. The one major thing that everyone who thinks buying AMD is as easy as buying their equity, likely roughly their market cap $1.6-ish B, is that the buyer also inherits all of AMD's debt which is roughly $3.0 B.

Considering the above, the acquirer, if on the smaller-side (e.g. Nintendo or Sony Vs. the likes of MS or Samsung) would have a drastically altered capital structure and future viability. So the point I'm getting across is, AMD would have to be purchased by a firm (not Nintendo or Sony) who is large / healthy enough not to be negatively encumbered by AMD's large amount of debt.

Cheers.

Palladium

Neo Member
How much money is there in there in x86 going forward really? Competing with intel on their home turf doesn't sound that profitable.

Nobody wants x86 because its a legal minefield and everyone except Intel is more interested in improving their own ARM designs.

Next gen consoles will probably feature a Nvidia-ARM SoC or pure ARM IP design.

So... If Microsoft buys AMD and AMD DOES lose the x86 license... Does that mean Intel loses access to the 64bit instruction set (AMD created and owns it)?

No way AMD loses x86 regardless of who buys them if that's the case...

Ganondolf

With AMD splitting the CPU and gpu departments into 2 companies it looks like someone will be buying part of AMD. If it is Microsoft I would bet they want the gpu part for future consoles as their relationship with Intel is of high importance and I would not be surprized if next gen consoles have arm CPU and AMD gpu setup

Human_me

With AMD splitting the CPU and gpu departments into 2 companies it looks like someone will be buying part of AMD. If it is Microsoft I would bet they want the gpu part for future consoles as their relationship with Intel is of high importance and I would not be surprized if next gen consoles have arm CPU and AMD gpu setup

Makes sense actually.
Plus they actually might give Nvidia a run for their money.
How ever I can just see Nvidia sueing Microsoft constantly.

Acinixys

While im nervous about Microsofts intentions, MS owning AMDs GPU division would be a MASSIVE boost to all PC users

Imagine all of MSs technical expertise and money pumped into AMD

Nvidia would be running scared

wildfire

Banned
They have to uphold any contractual agreement between any of those companies. They can't just change everything because of an acquisition. Nothing would change in that area.

I was reading up on the Intel AMD deal that was negotiated by the government and the gist I got out of it is that agreements can be broken if acquisition is made. At the time the government forced Intel to let AMD have a symbiotic relationship because they wanted to prevent Intel from killing off AMD and having a monopoly.

Obviously anyone capable of buying out AMD is in no position of weakness and doesn't need to be legally coddled.

Yeah this would be a dumb move...

Because driving a HUGE double-fingered wedge between themselves and Intel is probably not a very good for business...

Intel could, if they wanted to, systematically cripple their entire SW + OS businesses overnight by shipping HW that performs "non-optimally" for Windows and/or Office..

What's Intel gonna do? Make a new operating system? Selling software isn't in Intel's genes. Their outlook is strictly focused on driving hardware technology forward.

undu

While im nervous about Microsofts intentions, MS owning AMDs GPU division would be a MASSIVE boost to all PC users

No, it would go horribly bad. Microsoft would most probably use it to force people into using its operating system if they use their GPUs. This includes not only desktop users, but scientific users.

I wouldn't be stunned, but I have yet to see anyone else picking up this story and I don't consider the unnamed source on a minor site reputable in and of itself.
this was the last response i had in this thread. so...is the rumor more credible/likely now?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I mean, that was basically what the scenario was when mS buying mojang was just a rumor...and that turned out to be true.

Well just because a coin landed on heads 9 times in a row doesn't mean it has a higher chance of doing the same on the 10th toss.

DonMigs85

So far Lenovo hasn't messed much with Motorola, so hopefully the same holds true here. AMD gets to truck along at least semi-autonomously while Microsoft infuses them with sweet R&D and marketing cash.

Top Bottom