• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Microsoft to cut many jobs, including Xbox EU marketing (could reach 12K cuts)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I'm surprised everyone's defending one MS man but are seemingly fine with 6k people losing their jobs.. You know hope it all works out for the poorer people who will struggle to get a job because 6k other people are looking..

I can't believe how much shit people are giving others for saying they want Yusef gone.

Yes on the one hand it is shitty to want someone to be fired but when you're talking about one of the heads of a whole division who is a millionaire and will have no trouble sliming his way into another company I don’t see what the issue is. Fact is he is a big cause of concern for anyone who follows the industry because he seems to like saying the worst possible thing when he is ever spoken to and for those who actually want Microsoft to succeed it’s a totally fair opinion to have.

Now if people were saying 'good' at everyone else who is getting the sack then yeah, that would be terrible as there is bound to be many who won't have such an easy time bouncing back as Yusuf but I have yet to see anyone do that.

You don't like the things he says, so he should get fired, even though he's possibly (well, probably, otherwise he wouldn't be at his current position) doing a great job behind the scenes. And it's totally justified because he's rich, and he will have no trouble sliming (why, of course, what else could human scum such as himself do?) his way into another company. I have no words. This is so embarrassing. Fucking gamers.

I'm surprised everyone's defending one MS man but are seemingly fine with 6k people losing their jobs.. You know hope it all works out for the poorer people who will struggle to get a job because 6k other people are looking..

Nobody is fine with 6000 people losing their jobs, but nobody is spewing ridiculous hate-fueled bullshit against 5999 of those people.

Raitaro

So, is this a good or bad time to start looking and applying for jobs at Microsoft's Reading (Xbox) division? (No sarcasm, I really don't know.)

Because, guess where I moved to over a year and a half ago while being jobless (still)...

Sigh...(not just for me, mostly for this latest batch of people losing their jobs in this messed up world we live in)

Instead of firing six thousand people why don't they give the highest paid executives pay cuts? At least that way everybody gets to keep their jobs and the already rich executives won't be hurting.

Simply because western business culture.
Iwata and Kaz Hirai both took 50% paycuts recently.

Instead of firing six thousand people why don't they give the highest paid executives pay cuts? At least that way everybody gets to keep their jobs and the already rich executives won't be hurting.

They probably aren't getting fired because there is no money, they are getting sacked because they look redundant to MS. Higher ups taking pay cuts isn't going to change that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If I was a boss of a gaming company and the chief marketing officer for said gaming system constantly showed that his views for the system were being rejected by the main userbase and constantly opened his mouth and repeated the same anti-gamer, anti-consumer garbage and was always rejected very loudly, then yeah, I would fire him or at the very least demote him to a much more insignificant position.

Unless those are not just his views but corporation-wide views... Still, you might want to tell him to shut up expecially in such a case as you are trying to manipulate people's perception of you and such things spilling out do more harm than good.

Alx

Someone needs to translate, Xbox > Xbox.

But in all seriousness. Those marketing teams most likely translate, get commercial time on TV add spaces in newspapers etc. etc. and take care of the countries legal stuff regarding the marketing.

Honestly, if the current marketing team was in charge of translating the content, I hope they outsource it to better suited companies and we'll get better results, because all the translations in French are awful. Mistakes everywhere, voice commands that don't even make sense, ...

Mael

Honestly, if the current marketing team was in charge of translating the content, I hope they outsource it to better suited companies and we'll get better results, because all the translations in French are awful. Mistakes everywhere, voice commands that don't even make sense, ...

It's very fitting that they choose a football player as their icon for their marketing campaign last December....

Feindflug

Xbox Europe marketing deserves to be fired. All the ads for the Xbox One are atrocious.

I don't know if people deserve to be fired but MS's marketing at least here in Eastern Europe is literally nonexistent from the OG Xbox days till today...Sony on the other hand is on a whole other level, especially during the PS3 era they did a great job.

Xando

I don't know if people deserve to be fired but MS's marketing at least here in Eastern Europe is literally nonexistent from the OG Xbox days till today...Sony on the other hand is on a whole other level, especially during the PS3 era they did a great job.

Well in western europe they just use the american ads and localize it so not really anything missed.
Sony on the other hand have their own ad campaign for europe atleast they try.

It's very fitting that they choose a football player as their icon for their marketing campaign last December....

Choosing a player from the Premier League would naturally alienate fans and it was a dumb move, much like Sega plastering Dreamcast all over Arsenals kit, which I was disgusted by, being a Spurs fan!

Sony's Marketing has been pretty decent, but nothing like the PS1/ PS2 days imo.

A lot of Marketing these days really is more subtle.

Feindflug

Well in western europe they just use the american ads and localize it so not really anything missed.
Sony on the other hand have their own ad campaign for europe atleast they try.

I haven't seen an Xbox ad here on TV or magazines in years, hell there are a LOT of people here that don't know what an Xbox is. Videogames = Playstation here and I'm not only talking about gamers or even casual gamers, the PS brand is recognizable by almost everyone here.

Sony is pushing their system and games (for rental and purchase) from the the smallest videogame store to the biggest chain stores with some (rare though) TV ads and a steady amount of magazine ads...MS and Xbox on the other hand is nowhere to be found.

Into

I saw a Xbox add here that featured a clip containing CoD and a NFL player scoring a "touchdown" whatever the fuck that is, but he looked hype. I could almost smell the american pie, even though ive never tasted one nor know its contents.

The advertising for Xbox ever since the original Xbox in Europe has been absolutely misguided. I would not call it shitty, like the initial PS3 advertising with the dead baby dolls, since it obviously works for the Murikan market and the dead baby dolls work for..nobody.

They are so obsessed with competing against Apple, yet never learn why Apple does the things they do. At no point do i ever think of the good ol US of A when i see a Apple ad or buy one of their products. The American eagle and the stars and stripes never appear. Because they present themselves as above that stupid bullshit, making them inherently more likeable. The Forza+FIFA bundle is a step in the right direction, people do like sim racers and football here, something i or any other muck on the street could have told them in 2001. No need for focus groups, expensive "marketing" people who do a half assed job or anything

PlayStation has never, ever been presented as "Japanese" or pushed anything Japanese on anyone.

Alx

The "Come On" ad did have an English football (soccer) player, though, so it's not like they're completely oblivious of cultural differences. Well, not as far as UK is concerned anyway.

Where there is smoke there is fire. This isn't the first time I have heard this being talked about on the internet. Microsoft is going a huge change at the moment

Xando

The "Come On" ad did have an English football (soccer) player, though, so it's not like they're completely oblivious of cultural differences. Well, not as far as UK is concerned anyway.

Well they aired that gerrard commercial here in germany too so theres the first mistake.

They spent less on advertising this year anyway.

Can we take as confirmation that the Xbox division, taken as separate from their EAD division, isn't profitable?

they just bought Nokia and this always happens with the merging of two companies
as some jobs become redundant
do not read so much into the merger

Vinc

Because the guy is fucking horrible at his job and I'm saying this as someone who likes MS and the Xbox team. Him and Mattrick almost cost them permanently and they're still just now turning things around. But he still open his mouth and says the dumbest shit like people aren't buying Xbox Ones because they're too satisfied with the 360.

Same. I want incompetent people who STILL spew bullshit to lose their jobs. Nobody wants good, hardworking honest people to lose their jobs.

That's just ridiculous. His job is not to please random people on NeoGAF with sensible quotes on IGN. It's disgusting to want someone to lose their job over something like that.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yusef is going to be fine if he's not on xbox. I'd rather him not be there, so if he gets fired that's fine with me. He'll find another job quickly. It's not like he's going to be hurting for money if it does happen.

The other 5999, that's terrible. But alas, it's just a rumor.

Tobor

ive never been on a forum before where people actually want others to get fired and lose their jobs. That is a fucking new low for me.

Are you serious? We've been calling for Iwata to be fired for years. Lots of people wanted Ballmer gone, and Mattrick, and Kutaragi, and I'm sure many others.

These are millionaire executives we're talking about, Mehdi included. None of them have to worry about paying their gas bill or feeding their families.

As for Mehdi, he should have been fired along with Mattrick. He's been nothing but publicly detrimental to the brand.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm bummed about the actual men and women working for an honest paycheck every day that are potentially losing their jobs over this.

But I will say that I won't shed a single tear if a front-facing Xbox spokesperson like Mehdi gets replaced by someone who actually knows how to present his or her ideas to their consumers.
Mehdi has crafted himself an image of a slimy, snarky and dim-witted businessman with no love for the industry aside for Microsoft's bottom line.

In my opinion, guys like Mehdi should not hold prominent PR positions, and I hope they are shifting personnel around. I don't want the man to be kicked to the curb but his public presence is hurting the company's image. Keep him backstage pulling the strings if need be.

the_champ

Banned
Why not? I'm not trying to hide my opinion under trolling. I do think Microsoft's hardware is poorly designed and unreliable. I had plenty of their devices to base my opinion on experience. And I consider Xbox One a terrible design failure: a console which can't render fullHD in 2013 is a joke. Surface tablets? How can a tablet have two irreplaceable fans which will break or become really noisy in about 2 years of use. That's failed design for me. A 360 I had was also terribly noisy. Why? Because they saved on fans and heat management.

wat? is this a joke?

Dragon

Banned
The Mehdi witch hunt is ridiculous, you know nothing about him and the way he does his job except for the fact that his position is not focused on gaming, he's not the most natural looking presenter (although, for what it's worth, he seems to be my girlfriend's favorite Microsoft spokesperson because she thinks he's hot), and he's made a few questionable public statements, which is something that most executives in this business have done at some point. GAF can be such a terrible place sometimes.

Why exactly is your girlfriend's favorite Microsoft spokesperson relevant to a rant against GAF hive mind?

To be clear, you hardly ever can deal with any sort of criticism towards Microsoft or Xbox, regardless of whether it's justified.

The XB1 hasn't even launched in many countries in Europe.

Not officially no, but you can get them in many places, including the flag in your avatar, without much of a problem.

PlayStation has never, ever been presented as "Japanese" or pushed anything Japanese on anyone.

Have you ever heard them annunciate PlayStation at the end of a trailer or commercial? :)

ymmv

Banned
Woaahh, I'm not going to defend these guys but to say that you actually hope that they get kicked out of their job is a bit too far ain't it.

I know Yusuf Mehdi isn't the most likable person on the Xbox team but he isn't afraid to tell how he perceives things, no matter how much you hate what he says. There's an entire team involved, the things that happen at Xbox aren't just one mans decisions.

You're absolutely right. The whole team needs to be fired pronto. ;)

I feel sorry for the people working at Nokia. I bet there'll be a lot of jobs in Finland vanishing into thin air.

Hoo-doo

Banned
sure yeah, i mean they just sit there with zero advertisement.

Here in the Netherlands, I get semi-daily e-mails from big gaming chains that they have Xbox Ones in stock ever since it launched in germany.

Sure, it's not a microsoft sponsored marketing campaign, but people who are interested in gaming certainly haven't missed the fact that you can purchase one right now.

Dinjooh

Here in the Netherlands, I get semi-daily e-mails from big gaming chains that they have Xbox Ones in stock ever since it launched in germany.

Sure, it's not a microsoft sponsored marketing campaign, but people who are interested in gaming certainly haven't missed the fact that you can purchase one right now.

The retailers here in Denmark are pushing Xbones pretty hard aswell. You will never be in doubt if it has launched if you ever enter a GameStop here in Denmark, or any other electronics shop.

Mael

Choosing a player from the Premier League would naturally alienate fans and it was a dumb move, much like Sega plastering Dreamcast all over Arsenals kit, which I was disgusted by, being a Spurs fan!

Sony's Marketing has been pretty decent, but nothing like the PS1/ PS2 days imo.

A lot of Marketing these days really is more subtle.

No I meant that Zlatan a footballer that barely speak French (like pretty much all footballers I'd say...I mean look at Ribery&co and this guy is French...) is really inline with their broken French in everything they do.
But yeah I agree with you on that being a dumb move.

Fox Mulder

what kind of fairy tale world do you live in. Pay cuts for executives, whaaat?

jcm

The Mehdi witch hunt is ridiculous, you know nothing about him and the way he does his job except for the fact that his position is not focused on gaming, he's not the most natural looking presenter (although, for what it's worth, he seems to be my girlfriend's favorite Microsoft spokesperson because she thinks he's hot), and he's made a few questionable public statements, which is something that most executives in this business have done at some point. GAF can be such a terrible place sometimes.

Not focused on gaming ... not the most natural looking presenter ... questionable public statements. If this is how you're describing the Chief Marketing officer of Xbox, then he's not very good at his job. I'm sure he's a very nice fellow, and I hope he lands on his feet, but he's probably not the right person for this job.

Nzyme32

Top Bottom