• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony said that the productions costs for the PS4 are sinking faster than they expected, so maybe the same is true for Microsoft.

It is most likely due to the GDDR5 chips dropping in price, so that wouldn't help MS. Most likely situation is simply them absorbing the cost to gain marketshare (with the hope/expectation to recoup from software sales and XBL)

Also don't expect the production cost savings for Sony to necessarily mean a price cut quickly. Moving to 8GB was expensive for them, so any savings probably helps put them closer to where they originally wanted to be in terms of any profit/loss per box. Plus of course their machine is selling well.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I think that anybody who actually inquires about buying a ONE will quickly realize the difference. But from a consumer perspective, somebody who's just absorbing the advertising message - you have two messages. The ONE, which is advertising itself as a progressively cheaper option - and the PS4, which has maintained value.

I guess you're right. For those who aren't really paying attention, the price would seem to be dropping rapidly.

Riky

$MSFT
This is something MS need to do, last gen the 360 had better looking/running multiplats and a price advantage, making the PS3 an easy machine to ignore. They lost both those advantages this gen, getting one back makes sense. If people next month can get an X1 with Destiny for the price of a solus PS4 and the game looks the same it could change a few purchasing decisions.

Philippo

Yeah but we already know Sony hit a good spot in ps4's production's cost and are making a profit, so if this happens i can see them pricedropping the ps4 as a response and that woul sell 3x of what's now lol.

I guess you're right. For those who aren't really paying attention, the price would seem to be dropping rapidly.

It reminds me a lot of how a lot of failed tech products start to get a narrative built around them. I remember Windows Vista getting a massive ad campaign touting the features, then a campaign advertising a cheap upgrade route, then a "Vista's not so bad!' campaign, and finally a "Windows 7 is so much better than Vista guys" campaign. I wasn't really following the issue at the time, but I knew from MS' own ads that something was amiss.

Got one at launch. But that's the risk of buying at launch.

Hopefully this and Halo helps the console. Competition is good, rather than Sony running away it, which is what some people would prefer for strange reason. I would prefer if all three sell well.

Make it £300 with Halo bundled in come fall and I can see it doing well.

Guerrilla

SonyToo!™;123919685 said:
How much does a X1 cost to make? Wasn't the rumour kinect alone cost $150 to manufacture?

I reckon they are still turning a profit at 349 for the kinectless box. It's bound to cost less in manufacturing than it did at launch

robo

Well if you divide the cost of the NFL deal by the number of xbone owners, its costing them $80 per person so far, better that they drop the price by same amount or give a free game away maybe.

The console is seen as very US centric which hasn't helped sales in eu land at all.

Well not surprising. Europe is lost. Germany being 4:1 against xbox one when MS wanted 40% of market share (and leave Sony and Nintendo with 30% each) I can see how they need to be super agressive with the prices.

US will still hold and the marketing in fall and Master Chief Collection should give them a bit of a boost but Europe seems like a very tough battle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I reckon they are still turning a profit at 349 for the kinectless box. It's bound to cost less in manufacturing than it did at launch

Not necessarily. If they predicted better sales than this, then they may have production contracts with their suppliers at a certain price. If they are under shipping now due to lower demand, they'll either be piling them up in a warehouse but still paying the same price, or absorbing penalty costs for ramping down production early.

Well if you divide the cost of the NFL deal by the number of xbone owners, its costing them $80 per person so far, better that they drop the price by same amount or give a free game away maybe.

The console is seen as very US centric which hasn't helped sales in eu land at all.

No, what hasn't helped in EU land is that they didn't bother releasing in countries where the 360 sold well in. Like Sweden for example.

Not being available in half of Europe hasn't helped.

All of the consoles have always been very US centric,but things are improving as Netflix and HBO is launching their streaming solutions throughout Europe. And I imagine that if Microsoft could, they would get an football deal in Europe with UEFA, but that's properly a pretty hard deal to make.

Hoo-doo

Banned
A 50€ drop is going to do absolutely nothing when you are getting outsold 5:1 in most european regions.

All this does is provide a tiny bump and otherwise a drain on Microsoft's wallet and profits. The price is really not the problem with the Xbox one, the consumer apathy is the problem.

A 50€ savings is not going to make a undesirable product desirable. No-one is sitting on the fence for a few bucks difference.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
still 150€ too expensive

That's crazy if true, it might even be more if you based it off worldwide sales rather than US sales who watch NFL.

Duxxy3

Were you about to argue that the Kinect jettison wasn't a pricedrop? Because in the eyes of the people that matter, the consumers, it absolutely was. And a big one at that.

Didn't seem to do much either way.

You can still buy the $499 bundle, therefore it's not a price drop.

Dinjooh

Wasn't their budgetting for Spain absolutely insane aswell? With their marketing costing almost as much as the total amount of consoles they sold.

Lol the nfl deal is not limited to Xbox, it also extends to surface tablets and having them available to football franchises

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
A 50€ drop is going to do absolutely nothing when you are getting outsold 5:1 in most european regions.

Yeah, I personally don't see a €50 drop having much of an effect. Maybe it's just me, but the difference between overly expensive and good price for a piece of hardware is bigger than ~€50.

EGM1966

Given it's just the mobile site for one country I'm going to treat this as a data entry error until confirmed otherwise.

One thing though - can you place a purchase through the mobile app? If so they may have to honour it even if it is a data error. I've been lucky a few times buying stuff online where's there's been a price error and in all cases had the lower wrong price honoured.

Can you tell me the first one?

oh sorry they dropped the kinect and effectively dropped the price because of other irrelevant reasons...after doing so much r&d and spending so much money on marketing, vendor contracts, software development, right down to putting dedicated hardware onto the console, etc.

yes, let's pretend the removal of kinect isn't a price drop.

Welfare

Were you about to argue that the Kinect jettison wasn't a pricedrop? Because in the eyes of the people that matter, the consumers, it absolutely was. And a big one at that.

Didn't seem to do much either way.

I don't know, I think a price drop would be a $50 drop on the Kinect SKU, and then $100 difference from the Kinectless SKU. The Kinect Jettison just added a new SKU to the market, nothing more.

derFeef

All this does is provide a tiny bump and otherwise a drain on Microsoft's wallet and profits. The price is really not the problem with the Xbox one, the consumer apathy is the problem.

A 50€ savings is not going to make a undesirable product desirable. No-one is sitting on the fence for a few bucks difference.

One of my workmates is, actually. He said he would buy a Kinectless version for around 350 euros. So that's at least oen sale :p

Top Bottom