• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

One big problem for MS is that for people like me who owned a 360 before buying a PS3 is that it was easy to buy a PS3 as a second console because online was free, so didn't have to pay twice for online. But now if you want to buy an X1 you would have to pay for Xbox Live in addition to PS+ and I'm not willing to pay for two online services and without Xbox Live I probably don't want an X1.

So in my opinion, MS should rather make Xbox Live free than drop the price of the box itself.

Yep, I agree. I think part of the contraction of the gaming market that you here people talking about is driven by the fact that fewer people will buy multiple consoles due to both having recurring costs. Microsoft isn't going to make Live free, but the should offer a free 1 year subscription for a new purchase of an XB1.

Another thing going for the PS3 was that it was a pretty good, if not the best, Blu-Ray player at one time. That, along with a price drop, were what pushed me over to getting one as a secondary console. Other than the exclusive games it offers, the XB1 doesn't offer any other compelling reason to buy it, and the rise of the third party games has made exclusives lesss of an incentive buy. Maybe in 2-3 years the Xbox will have built up enough exclusive non-internet required games to make buying the console worth it. Unfortunately I get the feeling that Microsoft wants to tie online functionality very deeply into their games. So the idea of buying an XB1 without a gold subscription will never make sense.

Can you honestly say that ms will make money on that NFL deal?

No way. In these last 4 months since Titanfall came out, when Microsoft has started getting desperate trying to sell consoles, this NFL deal has done jack shit for them. The preseason is just starting and Microsoft will have more in-game advertising than Sony, but nothing will prevent Sony from running the same amount if not more commercials during breaks.

desu

I still don't see the it selling much better for 349€ ... =/. Maybe with tons of games and a free year of XBL and some other goodies.

Stare-Bear

Banned
MS should bundle it with a PS4 to boost sales

tumblr_n6xkaj5zqy1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

That smell of desperation.

I wouldn't doubt it given the numbers we just got from Germany.

And we Germans still wouldn't buy it for 350 €. We like our privacy and we really don't like Microsoft.

Regarding the perception of Xbox One Microsoft only have themselves to blame.

(I bought one on day one.)

Lucifon

Not sure if already mentioned but this pricecut appears to be mainland EU only, where I don't believe they've had a pricecut like the UK did? So the UK won't be included in this drop. This is what Dave's told me from Videogamer.com but he's currently awaiting confirmation from MS.

Xando

At this point id rather wait until Halo 5 drops.
Console will likely be 250€ when it comes out.
350€ is nice and all but my local Media Markt has been selling the Titanfall bundle for 365€
since June and it doesnt seem to help sales there.

Xando

Not being available in half of Europe hasn't helped.

All of the consoles have always been very US centric,but things are improving as Netflix and HBO is launching their streaming solutions throughout Europe. And I imagine that if Microsoft could, they would get an football deal in Europe with UEFA, but that's properly a pretty hard deal to make.
Well, Sony has that deal for the UEFA Champions League so theres no way MS does anything with the UEFA.

Krilekk

Banned
Well, Sony has that deal for the UEFA Champions League so theres no way MS does anything with the UEFA.

Yeah, they have that sponsorship until May next year I think. But Microsoft will have to pay a premium price to get rid of Sony when they've been with UEFA since 1997.

Mindwipe

And that's flat sponsorship deal too, Sony don't get any rights for it.

MS trying to buy up any meaningful exclusive (even console exclusive) football would easily cost them $2 billion on a Europe wide basis, and the merger of Sky UK, Germany and Italy is going to create a huge group that will not be keen on that happening at all.

There is absolutely no way such a move could ever deliver a ROI, and zero chance Microsoft's shareholders would permit the Xbox division making such a risky play.

Xando

And that's flat sponsorship deal too, Sony don't get any rights for it.

MS trying to buy up any meaningful exclusive (even console exclusive) football would easily cost them $2 billion on a Europe wide basis, and the merger of Sky UK, Germany and Italy is going to create a huge group that will not be keen on that happening at all.

There is absolutely no way such a move could ever deliver a ROI, and zero chance Microsoft's shareholders would permit the Xbox division making such a risky play.

Sky Germany is and has been sponsored by MS, the Sky GO app is exclusive for MS, XB1 + Fifa is shown everytime they switch to another Bundesliga stadium and at last years XB1 launch period they did the "Official gaming console of Sky" thing.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Denied. It was a mistake.

Of course it's a mistake. That price cut wasn't supposed to be official - yet. MS has no choice however in Europe. It's getting pummeled right into the ground by the PS4. I wonder how low the price should be to get consumers to buy it, despite the negative vibe that it has gotten for most European consumers. It's too US centric, there's the privacy angle, the lack of power, it's a MS product.

Kayant

Man, things sure are escalating quickly today. Yesterday we were at PS4 outselling Xbox One 3:1 in Germany (the actual numbers released). Now in this thread, suddenly someone claims it is 4:1. And just a few posts down, already 5:1.

Fascinating how that works :p

Well they are not wrong apart from saying 5:1 for most countries. For 2014 it's a 4:1 overall it's 3:1. And in Spain last time we got an update it was 5:1

Denied. It was a mistake.

Gamescom is soon so we shall see. I think it's happening.

zhao3gold

Banned
As it was already denied, I think this tread is better to lock till we see new rumors or the official announcement during Gamescom.

Durden77

I don't live in Europe, but if this a general price cut an effects the US as well, I'm still not buying it. In fact, it kind of makes me want to buy it less. Besides the 3DS with it's initial price cut, (which Nintendo actually explained and compensated for very well), I've never seen such desperate hacking at a video game console to try to force it into people's homes in my life.

If anything it kind of assures me that I don't need it.

JP

Also don't expect the production cost savings for Sony to necessarily mean a price cut quickly.
Sony's usual way of doing this is the "value add" route, if things change they'll just stick something else in the box with the console. Maybe a launch game or two (download codes to make it even cheaper and to keep games out of the used game shops) but keep the same price.

Fdkn

You can already find those xb1 at 350 here in Spain, even less sometimes.

The same for ps4 actually, I got mine+WD+ISS for 397€ total but it was a really good deal with an online retailer I must admit.

The problem with xb1 is not the price, even if they are desperate to make a pricecut it won't change anything here.

gloriousd

Neo Member
I honsetly don't know what Microsoft should do right now.

They're being pummeled by the PS4 in Europe and the longer they wait, the bigger the gap will be. Soon it will be even more difficult for MS, because friends of PS4 owners will start to buy the PS4 just to be able to play with them. Destiny will be the first game to stimulate such effect - "My bro has a PS4, says Destiny is cool, it's an online game, I want to play with him/her".

However, if they do lower the price too soon it will do nothing and they will lose their (slim even today) margins for nothing.

I think a pricecut + a killer game is the best way to stimulate sales. Maybe 349 euro and MCC or Sunset Overdrive will do the trick. However, it's too soon now as they will just say to all potential customers "we are desperate and the price can go even lower".

I know this rumour was debunked already, but Gamescom is right around the corner, so maybe they're just testing the waters.

Shredderi

I could see myself getting xbone to accompany my ps4 when it hits close to 250e, provided that we'll see some exciting new games coming to it.

Regardless, those Titanfall bundle deals they had back in March have in my mind negatively impacted the current value of an Xbone even in the US. If they were willing to go to $449 or lower in some cases for the system with the Kinect and a new release game (read: not something that can be picked up for $20) 5 months into the consoles life, then why should I not believe a similar deal will occur again sometime soon? The Kinectless Sku does not count, especially considering the Titanfall bundle at $449 was a better deal.

Top Bottom