• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

Woorloog

Banned
At 350€, Xbox One is starting to sound pretty good. Now give me some other exclusive that isn't Halo (so that i have at least two different game series for Xbone) and i'm actually interested.
Buying a console for one game (series)... just nope. Not unless they would cut the price down to 200€ (or something like that) which isn't going to happen.

MaxiLive

Guessing price drop to £320 for the UK kinectless bundle? Currently it is £350 I'm not sure what the price is of the kinectless Xbox One in Spain :D

SerTapTap

The problem of the Xbox One is not the Price...

If it was like, $100 a lot of people would get it just for exclusives (sunset overdrive is the only one I can think of other than indies that will also hit pc). At this point the price minus the value of current exclusives is the primary value of the console.

Yokai

If it was like, $100 a lot of people would get it just for exclusives (sunset overdrive is the only one I can think of other than indies that will also hit pc). At this point the price minus the value of current exclusives is the primary value of the console.

Son, sit down and let me tell you the story of the little GameCube that could.

Seriously though, too cheap too fast is a rookie and fatal mistake, but this price cut may not be too bad.

Navid

As others have said, sounds like a early Gamescom announcement leak...

Good to hear though as it's a move MS needs to make and ideally should have made back when they un-bundled the Kinect.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That won't help, at least in germany. 50 euro less for the console nobody wants?

In Germany an Xbox One bundle with Kinect and Titanfall was for sale for the same price as the PS4 (which was sold out for months), and still Germans wouldn't buy it. If Germans would rather wait months for a PS4 than buy the console that's cheaper, has more value for money and readily available, than there's a big problem with the product. Price is only a small bit of that equation.

Daviii

It must be very frustrating to drive prices down like mad and burn millions of now-pissed-off investors' money trying to avoid PS4 slaughtering XBox One accross the world, and yet see that nobody gives a fuck and Sony is just watching the hunger games on TV, laughing maniacally.

Even worse. All the core gamers who bought your console ALSO bought PS4, and as you underpowered your machine because you're a moron, and all multiplats are palpably worse, now all the game sales and royalties goes to the competition too, together with the online gaming, so the gap just widens faster over time.

I can only Sympathise with Microsoft, because they have the mother of all issues here.

tuna_love

Banned
In Germany an Xbox One bundle with Kinect and Titanfall was for sale for the same price as the PS4 (which was sold out for months), and still Germans wouldn't buy it. If Germans would rather wait months for a PS4 than buy the console that's cheaper, has more value for money and readily available, than there's a big problem with the product. Price is only a small bit of that equation.
Didn't they buy more Ps3 than 360's?

Sweep14

Welp

IMHO, Sony is already prepared for a MS pricedrop on X1.
ASA MS move, they will instantly match the price so...

ZarraN

Banned
I don't believe a small pricecut will help them in Europe. The Xbox hasn't officially launched in many countries but most stores have already had the Xbox standing on the shelfs few weeks after NA launch.

There were almost a 6 month period when you could not find a PS4 here in Sweden. The regular price increased several times and at the same time the Kinect bundle dropped on several sales to a lower price than the PS4.

I believe the "console war" (irony) was over before it began. Most people I know had a X360 but it wasn't there primary platform in the end of the life cycle. There were a time back 2008 when we thought Bungie, Epic games, Valve and BioShock would remain exlusiv. But one after a other went multiplatform. The last two years the Xbox didn't have any appeling enough content to get people back if you were not interested in Kinect, Halo, Gears or Forza. One by one of the people i played with stopped paying for Gold and the active friendlist decreased. At the same time PS3 got new a compeling content year after year like Journey, Last of us and PlayStation+ which kept people intrested in the brand.

Until today we don't know what Sony's mayor studios are working on.

Guerilla Games new IP RPG
Japan studio (LastGuardian) + new IP
Media Molecule new IP 3D creation
SantaMonica Studio Order 1886 + new IP

Microsoft has already reveled there cards and it seems like the price cut is the only remaining option for them to turn this around. I don't believe this would help since most people seems to share the opinion that PS4 is better than the One.

Microsoft has already reveled there cards and it seems like the price cut is the only remaining option for them to turn this around. I don't believe this would help since most people seems to share the opinion that PS4 is better than the One.

While you're right that Sony came into this gen all-cylinders-firing on the good-will train after two great years of PS3 support with Plus+ and incredible games (Last of Us, etc.), and that this was amplified ten fold by their competitors gigantic cock-up, it's pretty facetious to claim that Microsoft has played their entire hand already - or that a price cut means anything for remaining content.

Right now, it's consoles which sell consoles, not the games. Both PS4 and Xbox are still scarce of them, yet are leading the market well above the Wii U, which has by far and away the best exclusive library so far. Microsoft could revive as many Banjos, Conkers, and Gears as they want, but if the console itself isn't a compelling purchase, then no consumer will want to buy it. So course they'll go for a price-cut first if they can. Doesn't mean this has any bearing on remaining content or new studios they still have cooking, though.

Welp

IMHO, Sony is already prepared for a MS pricedrop on X1.
ASA MS move, they will instantly match the price so...

If Microsoft does decide to drop the price at Gamescom or something i think sony will wait for September/October and completely take the wind out of Microsoft's sales for the holidays.

Microsoft should team up with Mcdonalds to give them away with a happy meal.

By Christmas, there'll be deals like €250 with Kinect, a game and an extra controller at this rate. If this is true, confirmation that we didn't need that Xbone is dead in Europe currently.

Price cut is good news though no doubt.

Guerrilla

No they shouldn't, buying consoles day 1 and paying more is the price you pay

Yeah you're right, f nintendo for their stupid ambassador program. Being nice to your most loyal customers clearly isn't the way to go....

Of course early adopters aren't entitled to something like that. But they SHOULD get something nevertheless. The last thing ms should be doing right now is pissing off their fans, no matter if fans have a right to be pissed or not. And again: I want free stuff!

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

Bundy

Banned
I don't believe a small pricecut will help them in Europe. The Xbox hasn't officially launched in many countries but most stores have already had the Xbox standing on the shelfs few weeks after NA launch.

There were almost a 6 month period when you could not find a PS4 here in Sweden. The regular price increased several times and at the same time the Kinect bundle dropped on several sales to a lower price than the PS4.

I believe the "console war" (irony) was over before it began. Most people I know had a X360 but it wasn't there primary platform in the end of the life cycle. There were a time back 2008 when we thought Bungie, Epic games, Valve and BioShock would remain exlusiv. But one after a other went multiplatform. The last two years the Xbox didn't have any appeling enough content to get people back if you were not interested in Kinect, Halo, Gears or Forza. One by one of the people i played with stopped paying for Gold and the active friendlist decreased. At the same time PS3 got new a compeling content year after year like Journey, Last of us and PlayStation+ which kept people intrested in the brand.

Until today we don't know what Sony's mayor studios are working on.

Guerilla Games new IP RPG
Japan studio (LastGuardian) + new IP
Media Molecule new IP 3D creation
SantaMonica Studio Order 1886 + new IP

How dare you forgot "SONY Bend Studio"!?!?!?!? -_-
It's one of Sony's best and most underrated studios (and they're working on a PS4 game).

ZarraN

Banned
Right now, it's consoles which sell consoles, not the games. Both PS4 and Xbox are still scarce of them, yet are leading the market well above the Wii U, which has by far and away the best exclusive library so far. Microsoft could revive as many Banjos, Conkers, and Gears as they want, but if the console itself isn't a compelling purchase, then no consumer will want to buy it. So course they'll go for a price-cut first if they can. Doesn't mean this has any bearing on remaining content or new studios they still have cooking, though.

Nintendo once said "Content is king" it is still true. Sure Nintendo has a amazing first party lineup but its actually competing more with PS3 & X360 then nextgen. Both consoles has better content and price advantage and still gets new games. Wii U is not getting GTA V, this years Call of Duty or Destiny. The first sign that Wii U is actually dead is that we can get Fifa 15 on Wii, 3DS, PSVita but not on Wii U.

Off course Microsoft could have something else but we know what Turn 10, Black Tusk Studios and 343 is working on.
They could of course start to buy games / studios which would cost them a lot of money. And this would not be so popular from there investors who have demanded that Xbox bussines should be sold of.
They should have bought THQ when they had the change.

goonergaz

MS just can't seem to get the price balance as good as their system balance....I think £200 might be the tipping point...

Miles X

Trying to flog a dead horse.

Let it go Microsoft, Europe is gone.

Yeah just give up and do nothing eh? Hopefully you don't run a business because you would suck at it. Obviously they won't win Europe, they know that, but that isn't the goal here.

Freeman

Banned
I hope this pushes Sony to come up with some better bundles, but it's probably to late for me since I'll get my Ps4 in September.

Yeah just give up and do nothing eh? Hopefully you don't run a business because you would suck at it. Obviously they won't win Europe, they know that, but that isn't the goal here.
Yeah, sometimes looks like total control over a market is the only thing that matters. What about a significant market share guys? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what MS is after here, not winning Europe.

I hope this pushes Sony to come up with some better bundles, but it's probably to late for me since I'll get my Ps4 in September.

Seeing how Sony asks as much for a controller as they ask for a game, I'd really like a bundle with a second DS4 for 399. Preferably in white.

Yes, maybe response to the total lack of interest in the console on mainland europe.

At least as far as Portugal goes the total lack of interest goes both ways. We're only getting the console in September and there's hardly any fanfare surrounding it.

I don't think lowering the console price without accompanying it with some nice software package will help a lot. They will probably see a small spike in sales, like the Wii U got, but it should "drop" later on unless a steady stream of quality software ensues.

Top Bottom