• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

TomRL

Banned
Lol@ all the negativity.

This is only a good thing. Phil Spencer had been doing a good job recently. The Xbox One is now becoming competitive.

To be fair, a Kinect-less Xbone SHOULD be $350 based on its system specs. It still reeks of desperation though. Sadly, it will probably work and at least get them caught up with Sony.

Why is that an bad thing? Competition benefits everyone, and in the end it results in an healthier industry when more people own consoles.

Lol@ all the negativity.

This is only a good thing. Phil Spencer had been doing a good job recently. The Xbox One is now becoming competitive.

Yeah, negativity is super weird.

I do wonder how much of what has happened this year was Spencer and how much was just their planned strategy from when Matrick was still around.

omonimo

Banned
They need to get to 299 quick and then the battle will heat up.
I'm not that sure at this point. Xbox sold because was always a competitive machine. Now it's not. Maybe could help a bit to rise the bar but I don't see it to overtake ps4 even in microsoft lands. Last kinect less bundle wasn't a good signal.

Competitive is one thing, but fire sales on the console less than a year after launch are not the sign of "healthy". If this turns out to be true, why not wait another few months for the inevitable €300?

This isn't competition, it's an attempt to remain relevent in the retail space.

knitoe

To be fair, a Kinect-less Xbone SHOULD be $350 based on its system specs. It still reeks of desperation though. Sadly, it will probably work and at least get them caught up with Sony.

Nope. People spending $350 are not going to spend $50 more to get the "better" console with the momentum and mindshare? I doubt even $100 would make a marketshare change. After years of iPhones and iPads high pricing, people are ingrain and will gladly spend much more for the "better" entertainment electronic product.

I would be so happy if this were true and Sony reacted with some price cuts before my white PS4 gets here next month

please be true
Sony won't match the price immediately. They'll see how the performance is and, with the new white model launching next month, they have no real incentive to even drop the price, unless the XB1 started doing ridiculous numbers. PS4? Maybe November if they feel threatened.

mike4001_

In comparison with the PS4 maybe but ...

1) you cannout always compare price with performance. Buy that logic the Wii U should have startet at 149 USD/€
2) All the TV stuff of the xbox should add to its value (even if you don´t use it)

Mikey Jr.

Those pricecuts and bundles are coming fast and furious.

Holiday will be probably have a super fucking crazy price and bundle I bet.

And we all know how well the surface tabs are selling ;)

Can you honestly say that ms will make money on that NFL deal?

$400m is a lot to make back when your estimates of consoles sold is way behind the graph.

The NFL is a 9 billion dollar industry. Next year the TV deals will end and it will be worth even more. If they can somehow tap into the kind of thing Direct TV gets with the Sunday ticket it would be a very good deal. They did mention earlier in the year about the ability to stream games in 60fps, but haven't heard since.

Sony won't match the price immediately. They'll see how the performance is and, with the new white model launching next month, they have no real incentive to even drop the price, unless the XB1 started doing ridiculous numbers. PS4? Maybe November if they feel threatened.

At best, Sony will drop the price around The Order to get another big boost of sales. But in the current climate, there is absolutely no need to play along with what Microsoft is doing unless, as you said, things shift in the fall. At if it does, it could just as much be Microsofts selection of games as it could be price that is the reason.

SuperÑ;123940847 said:
What he's trying to say is that no one cares about what you did or didn't buy in the past or future.

Call me a crazy person but I still want the Kinect SKU for the voice commands. 349€ would be assumable but 299€ is the sweet spot. I mean, being underpowered compared to the PS4 i should be able to buy it at a lower price.

I think it's impressive how MS has been able to convince people that you need this bleeding edge camera hardware (priced at at least $100) to do voice commands, instead of you know, a mic.

Lol@ all the negativity.

The issue is these price cuts are happening WAY too fast. Again, what are the only other systems that have had massive price cuts mere months after release? Failing consoles, or consoles that appeared to be failing. PS3 in a best-case scenario, but more often systems like Gamecube, Dreamcast and in the most extreme cases, 3DO, Jaguar, and 32X.

These price cuts are reaching Jaguar/32X-levels of desperation and consumers know something's not right when a "hot new item" keeps falling down in price, especially compared to its chief competitor.

So is this a bad thing for folks who want a XBO for cheap? No. Is it bad in terms of optics to the public to gauge the system health? Absolutely.

If's it not $300 by the holidays, I'll just wait a few months till the next price cut. At this point, with all the price cuts, why would anyone not wait? It probably won't be long.

Krakn3Dfx

Good stuff, would love to see MS drop the XB1 in the states to $349.99 as well, even tho I have one already, the used market (EBay, Craigslist, Cowboom) is no doubt taking a bite out of their new system sales (regularly see XB1 systems w/ Kinect for less than $400, usually with games incl). I got mine w/ Kinect, TF, BF4, and Garden Warfare for $350 on CL, and I've seen even better deals from people getting rid of the system. No way I would spend $400-$400 on the system at this point tbh. That's not a sign of me no liking the system, I've had some fun with it, but it seems to have taken a beating when it comes to the enthusiast gamer, and that could continue to hurt them as more of the casual space starts looking to pick up a new console.

In comparison with the PS4 maybe but ...

1) you cannout always compare price with performance. Buy that logic the Wii U should have startet at 149 USD/€
2) All the TV stuff of the xbox should add to its value (even if you don´t use it)

Why would I be willing to pay more for something I don't/can't use and has therefore no value to me?

It may add to the cost of the device, but certainly not to the value for someone that doesn't use those services.

Because they want to play exclusive games on the console this fall?

Only game you'd really miss out on is the Halo collection, all of which I own on the 360. DR3 is coming to PC, PvZ is coming to PS4, Forza Horizon 2, while not exactly the same, is also on 360. Without a real price cut, there isn't much of an incentive to pick it over a PS4 at this point and the numbers show that. The next must have exclusive won't come till Halo 5 late next year.

WIthout Kinect differentiating them, MS needs to get the box cheaper. That needs to be their selling point, essentially "we're a cheaper PS4" because at this point the whole X1 is inferior mentality is too widespread. $299 for the Holidays will do them very well, especially if throw in Halo for free. They've got to get the box down to a price that matches it's perceived worth. And if Sony reacts with their own price cut then it's back to square one, and MS will have to go cheaper.

I think that's pretty realistic. At the rate they've been slashing and cutting prices I full expect a $299 X1 this year or it's a bust for me. I won't pay more than it's worth

But the majority isn't always right, especially when it comes to video games. Last gen brought way too many casual players and people who had never played much before to the hobby. Those are the ones that keep things like CoD, Assassin's Creed, Fifa and Madden going year after year while the rest of the IPs barely make any profit, even if they are better games.

The Xbox One isn't selling because of Microsoft's policy, anyone who looks it up in five minutes learns about the TV, DRM, always-online and forced Kinect bullshit. But the truth remains that the catalog of games is actually pretty good on all three consoles. Software isn't the problem here. Trust me.

None of that contradicts my argument--sales are the only true barometer. And for billion dollar products, yes, the majority is right because that's who you are selling to.

Software is part of it, but not all.

Also, isn't this a pricing error now?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
maybe it will get released in Portugal too, you know...since its right next to spain >_>

The issue is these price cuts are happening WAY too fast. Again, what are the only other systems that have had massive price cuts mere months after release? Failing consoles, or consoles that appeared to be failing. PS3 in a best-case scenario, but more often systems like Gamecube, Dreamcast and in the most extreme cases, 3DO, Jaguar, and 32X.

These price cuts are reaching Jaguar/32X-levels of desperation and consumers know something's not right when a "hot new item" keeps falling down in price, especially compared to its chief competitor.

So is this a bad thing for folks who want a XBO for cheap? No. Is it bad in terms of optics to the public to gauge the system health? Absolutely.

LOL wut. There's been no actual price cut to date. This would be the first one.

Chobel

Only game you'd really miss out on is the Halo collection, all of which I own on the 360. DR3 is coming to PC, PvZ is coming to PS4, Forza Horizon 2, while not exactly the same, is also on 360. Without a real price cut, there isn't much of an incentive to pick it over a PS4 at this point and the numbers show that. The next must have exclusive won't come till Halo 5 late next year.

Sunset Overdrive?

Sunset Overdrive?

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about that game. Insomniac games aren't huge sellers (and heck, for the last 5 years they have been mediocre), certainly it won't be a system seller for the mainstream plus it's coming out in October which is packed so it'll likely get buried in all the other big franchises. I doubt it'll do much even if it comes out with the white X1 (unless, again, the bundle is $299).

LOL wut. There's been no actual price cut to date. This would be the first one.

There's been plenty. Sure, they may not have been official, but retailers have been cutting the price left and right, MS has been offering incentives, and the Kinectless box was basically a price cut even if it technically wasn't. You just have to wait a few months for the next price cut/promotion.

NHale

If there is a thing the mainstream consumer really loves is a product that it's price dropped every 4 months especially if it's a product that a lot of the people still see it as it was revealed (doesn't play used games, camera is obligatory, etc.).

If Microsoft keeps dropping prices every 4 months they might as well quit this generation and release the Xbox Two in 2016. The majority of people don't know what's inside the machines but if they see a product on sale every other month, they start wondering about the quality of the product and in a region where people already lean towards PlayStation, Microsoft might as well start waving the white flag.

The launch bundle of Forza 5 + FIFA 15 for Tier 2 is a much better strategic decision than dropping 50€. Add value to the box instead of having a message everytime someone enters a shop and sees "Xbox One now even cheaper!".

In my humble opinion, Microsoft needs a complete refresh of the Xbox One. Change everything (except what you can't): slim version of the hardware, logo, game cases, color scheme of the boxes, etc... And then launch a new marketing campaign trying to start from zero. Unfortunately for them, the reveal of the Xbox One is still haunting them especially in Europe.

maybe it will get released in Portugal too, you know...since its right next to spain >_>

Considering the amount of preorders for the console nobody have seemed to notice it's launching here...

It dropped from £429 to £399 in the UK.

Then they pulled Kinect to get it down to £349.

That's a price drop and then a change of SKU to bring the price down. In less than a year.

They really aggressively marketed the £349 price drop in the UK all over the summer, too. Personally, I don't think price is the problem with the Xbox One at all. I mean, they'll definitely increase the install base with another drop, but I'm just not convinced it's suddenly going to match the pace of the PS4 if they undercut it -- especially in continental Europe.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Even at 250€ with a game, I'd still prefer to pay 400€ for a better PS4. The 2 consoles are so similar people will rather pay a bit more on the HW to have years of superior SW versions.

LX_Theo

Banned
Denied. It was a mistake.
And then the people who just want it to be at that lower price will continue to say that they're still going to do it (despite it making no sense to do another price cut so soon. Also, the first one was price cut and they advertised as a price cut. That public impression of the change is what makes doing another one a bad idea).

Leyasu

Banned
Not at all. Its a marathon (Especially if last gen was anything to go by) not a sprint.

They would lose more fans if they release a console quickly (Like what Sega did too often in my opinion with Mega CD, 32X, Saturn).

They need to stay the course. The longer the generation goes on the more people will buy an Xbox one as another console (If they have a ps4) especially if they keep a good output of exclusives.

Everyone needs to get a main console and another one. Its wrong to go through a console generation with only one console and everyone should be buying a
wiiU
as their second console....

Xbox One Is the next WiiU... It will come good with the games.

seemed to be the inverse last gen

And then the people who just want it to be at that lower price will continue to say that they're still going to do it (despite it making no sense to do another price cut so soon. Also, the first one was price cut and they advertised as a price cut. That public impression of the change is what makes doing another one a bad idea).

It makes perfect sense though, the X1 is dead in Europe.

Portugeezer

They are getting beaten pretty badly in EU, but I wouldn't expect a price cut so soon.

Closer to the holidays, maybe.

Good for me anyway, but even for £300 it's a tough sell at the moment.

TomRL

Banned

So it's bad because you lot only just figured out that it isn't all fine and dandy for the Xbox One. That's a problem with you, not the price drop itself.

In my humble opinion, Microsoft needs a complete refresh of the Xbox One. Change everything (except what you can't): slim version of the hardware, logo, game cases, color scheme of the boxes, etc... And then launch a new marketing campaign trying to start from zero.
Exactly. If you can't change the product, change the way you present it to your customers.

Start that by releasing a slim console and ads focusing on games. Make a more international product and not an american-focused one..

Portugeezer

That is only an issue because they launched overpriced. Now they have no Kinect bundled so that's a few hundred €uro's knocked off; now they are over priced (assuming XB1 hardware is cheaper compared to PS4) and can get it down to a more acceptable price.

I agree with you public perception issue, but maybe that is why they are doing it so fast? Get necessary changes over and done with now so that they can refresh the XB1 marketing campaign. Why wait when the PS4 gap is only widening?

ValeYard

It makes perfect sense though, the X1 is dead in Europe.

I agree that the current sales situation in Europe makes a price drop announcement at Gamescom seem likely. I was surprised they didn't do it to coincide with the Kinect-less SKU, but they may have deemed that to send too much of a PANIC signal.

A 50 Euro drop (maybe less than 50 pounds?) might be enough to get the ratio up from the recently reported 4:1 for ps4. They do have some great games coming soon.

If there is a thing the mainstream consumer really loves is a product that it's price dropped every 4 months especially if it's a product that a lot of the people still see it as it was revealed (doesn't play used games, camera is obligatory, etc.).

If Microsoft keeps dropping prices every 4 months they might as well quit this generation and release the Xbox Two in 2016. The majority of people don't know what's inside the machines but if they see a product on sale every other month, they start wondering about the quality of the product and in a region where people already lean towards PlayStation, Microsoft might as well start waving the white flag.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm talking about, and it's a very real issue. The PS3 may've done similar things, but it was spread out over a span of about 3-4 years, not 4-8 months.

It's like losing weight. Instead of eating right and exercising (where the results don't show for a while), they're purging on fat-burner pills. They already got gastric bypass when they didn't need it (dropping Kinect; like it or not it was one of the system's only big differentiators and now that's gone).

I agree with you public perception issue, but maybe that is why they are doing it so fast? Get necessary changes over and done with now so that they can refresh the XB1 marketing campaign. Why wait when the PS4 gap is only widening?
It's a sort of Catch-22 unfortunately. They should have launched @ $450 with Kinect and then introduced the Kinectless SKU when they did.

The other problem now is that they'd done so many pack-ins, people are probably going to want a pack-in game from now on to justify buying the system. In some ways $399 XBO w/o Kinect is a worst value than $450 w/ Kinect and TitanFall/Forza/FIFA/whatever and I think the general public is more aware of that than MS would like.

Top Bottom