• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

pelican

4G is in my city now, but until it becomes widespread across the uk I have little interest in it.

I would much rather Sony do a proper Vita price drop instead of masking one through increasing the feature set.

Radec

ibg2d0QByhVOlU.gif

Kazified version anyone?

Phazeta

Neo Member
Sony loves their hardware, but not even they would attempt this. Right...?

Seriously though, get some games on it first.

kiyomi

Not exactly a massive revision if true, and certainly not enough to even begin to interest me in buying a new model. I don't have a 3G Vita as is, and 4G just generally doesn't interest me for the extra cost it would entail. A HDMI port would be cool, but I wouldn't use it. And presumably all system updates will work on the current Vita, so again, no biggie.

Cheaper memory cards, though, I'd be down for, but again I probably wouldn't need them - if it brings new owners to the table then that's a good thing.

Maybe the announcement of the PS4 at the PSMeeting event wont be substantial enough to carry the full event. Maybe they could announce this new PSVita along with announcing the PS4 and how they can interact with each other.

Interfectum

Feb 20th needs to happen already. I'm tired of reading "buuuu buuuu imagine teh meltzdowns if PS4 isn't shown LUL"

They are showing off PS4, accept it. The meltdowns/lack of meltdowns will happen based on the direction they decide to take the console.

Midou

I was expecting some PS4/Vita compatibility stuff at the conference too. Hopefully it won't require new Vita for anything though. I kind of like playing it as a portable so I don't mind the lack of HDMI-out.

BadWolf

Maybe the announcement of the PS4 on the 20's event wont be substantial enough to carry the full event. Maybe they could announce this new PSVita along with announcing the PS4 and how they can interact with each other.

Considering how important handhelds have become in Japan it would be pretty dumb of them not to try and breathe life into Vita.

Makes sense to talk about it at an event that talks about the future of the brand.

They need a real price drop, not this "added value" BS. That only works when your product is already at an affordable price to get decent sales in the first place.

I wouldn't use HDMI-out much so hopefully there are good features coming other than folders (which would be very welcome).

Also hoping a potential memory card price cut would come with 64GB and 128GB cards. I'd buy a high capacity one in a heartbeat, 32GB really gets you nowhere even if you just have a decent PSP library.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I plan on picking up a Vita next month, but if they announce one with HDMI-out, I would totally wait

Don't care about 4G

Ashler

As a VITA owner, supporting it from day 1, if there is a new and improved version coming out that has ANY added features to it (I don't care about 4G as I have the WiFi model), i'm gonna be pissed as hell.

Sendou

If the rumours come true then there's a bunch of right moves from Sony. I don't see the appeal of 4G unless you could actually play multiplayer games well with it. Gaming via HDMI-cable will probably be nice addition for some. Finally having a viable screen capture will be awesome.

4G is only good if it allows for online gaming anywhere, not like the 3G where it was crap and only allowed for browser and asynch multiplayer. That means if you want to play a match of Killzone Liberation or a game of Madden/FIFA while on the bus, you can.

Also, no XL/Tablet version means I'm not really interested in an upgrade and the rumored FW needs to hit sooner rather than later, that means by the end of this month or March at the very latest. Also, the MC price drops should be by about 50% and should hit sooner rather than later as well, along with introduction of 64 and 128GB cards.

Interfectum

As a VITA owner, supporting it from day 1, if there is a new and improved version coming out that has ANY added features to it (I don't care about 4G as I have the WiFi model), i'm gonna be pissed as hell.

That's how technology works. They aren't going to hold back hardware advances because day 1 purchasers might get mad.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm actually looking forward to the 'big' firmware update most, I don't really care for HDMI out tbh, although a memory card price drop will be welcome, especially if they also release a 64gb card.

DaBuddaDa

You must be pissed as hell a lot, because that's how all technology works in every industry ever, forever. Things are iterated, things improve, new technology is added.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That's how technology works. They aren't going to hold back hardware advances because day 1 purchasers might get mad.

In this case, they should. Pissing off the few who actually bought their struggling hardware wouldn't be the best way to show they care.

I just remembered my serial number came off my vita so I won't be able to sell it. Fuck. I guess I can ... glue it back on? Hopefully it's in the same spot I put it.

I really doubt this is true. Sony are losing money enmasse, they're share prices are awful, and even in Japan, the general consensus among the public is that Sony have lost their way and are now junk. The Vita already isn't selling, and its not because of the hardware, its a lack of software. Even when the Vita does sell, it sells at a loss, the Ps4 will likely also sell at a loss. They can't afford both as it is, nevermind another Vita also selling at a loss. If they're going to upgrade the Vita, they should replace the current one.
You seem very knowledgable on Japan. Would you call yourself an expert?

great initiative

launch a Vita tablet and i m in

Yep, Vita Tablet would be awesome. Just make it a standard Android Tablet, in 7 or 11 inch models, and works natively with the PS4 Controller right out of the box. That way, you can use your PS4 controller and they do not need to try to fit the buttons on the screen or on the tablet.

Open it up to PSN Games, PlayStation Mobile, and the Google Play Android Market. That would be awesome.

You must be pissed as hell a lot, because that's how all technology works in every industry ever, forever. Things are iterated, things improve, new technology is added.

Not with Sony, though.
The PS2 had a HDD port that disappeared with the redesign.
The PS3 had memory card slots, slot drive bay, Linux support - all disappeared with redesigns.
The next Vita has a HDMI port because they'll remove the
screen

saichi

Guys.

HDMI IN. Connect your Vita to your PS3 / PS4, play your games on the Vita while somebody else uses the TV.

HDMI OUT. Connect your Vita to any HD compliant screen and play your Vita games on the big screen.

You would need REALLY LONG HDMI cables for both cases to be practical.

Top Bottom